102 replies to this topic

#1 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

After years of sitting at home, with only cdc and work to entertain me, I have decided to try and get back into the dating scene. Maybe 'back' isn't quite the word I should be using. My last date was probably around 8 years ago (in the Cloutier era) and my dating history was pretty sparse even before that.

Dang, maybe this should be a how to date thread instead of a how to date online one.

...OK. I just reached the POF homepage and already I'm turned off by what I see...

I haven't even entered 'fat women' as a preference yet!!!

is there a better site to start this ...?

Edited by hockeyville88, 26 November 2012 - 08:20 PM.

“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#2 Bork Laser

Bork Laser

WWE Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

Um..... Take the D?
Posted Image

Credit to Twilight Sparkle

#3 I♥Wellwood

I♥Wellwood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

Watch Catfish (the movie or the tv show)... you'll be turned off to online dating completely :lol:

My two cents? You'll be better off finding someone irl.

Posted Image

#4 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

maybe zoosk? Although I'm not sure of the quality on their either

Posted Image

Yo Yo you cant see me anyway what i dont need to writing skills to act cool i got froobacks and steel chains to act cool i lead the new school. Iam untochable this wont be a fight ill walk away with your mic and make you suck your own tailpipe

#5 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

It's a numbers game. My friend received like 50 messages per day, and she was probably just 5/10.
You literally will have to spam. A quick humourous message that can be copy and pasted.

#6 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

Um..... Take the D?

:mellow:

Watch Catfish (the movie or the tv show)... you'll be turned off to online dating completely :lol:

ya. too hard to find someone irl. means me going out of the house.

maybe zoosk? Although I'm not sure of the quality on their either

will look.

Edit: ok, looked up zoosk.. i wonder if there's any way NOT to let all of my facebook friends and family know that i'm declaring that i'm looking for someone online. ok, so far have not signed up for ANY site. lol.

Edited by Mainly Mattias, 26 November 2012 - 07:40 PM.

“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#7 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,464 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

Two of my friends on my hockey team met their girlfriends on POF.

One of which just became engaged.

So it does work - just patience and an open mind is needed.... but mostly patience.
Posted Image

#8 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

Level 75 elf bard. Charm the pants off her.

Posted Image

#9 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,333 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

My sister met someone on POF. They became boyfriend and girlfriend. Then after about a year of dating he proposed to her, she said yes. Then after a little over a year of being engaged they finally got married about 2 months ago now.

So give it a shot.
Posted Image

#10 i4i

i4i

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

I felt kinda bad for that guy, but all I could do was laugh. :lol: Like that part where he was reading aloud the text messages they were sending each other... Oh I just lost it. So funny and embarassing for the dude.

Posted Image

Sig made by allons-y. Concept by canuckforever00.

Thanks guys.

#11 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

aren't people afraid of people irl recognizing them?? van's a small town, really

#12 Argon

Argon

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

on pof? Can't you do a photo like from behind, and then message people your interested in your photo?
Posted Image

Yo Yo you cant see me anyway what i dont need to writing skills to act cool i got froobacks and steel chains to act cool i lead the new school. Iam untochable this wont be a fight ill walk away with your mic and make you suck your own tailpipe

#13 TACIC

TACIC

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,386 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

Use video games and CDC man
AUmxe4h.gif
Credit to JimLahey for this awesome sig

TACIC

Yes i am a Leafs fan too, DEAL WITH IT!!

Go Canucks Go!

#14 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

on pof? Can't you do a photo like from behind, and then message people your interested in your photo?

i took that as a photo of my behind. i was like, welllll... :bigblush: if that's your advice..

#15 I♥Wellwood

I♥Wellwood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:41 AM

I felt kinda bad for that guy, but all I could do was laugh. :lol: Like that part where he was reading aloud the text messages they were sending each other... Oh I just lost it. So funny and embarassing for the dude.

And Nev's pretty good looking too, seems like he has a nice personality, gets along well with people.. no idea what he was doing looking for love online! He's become famous because of it so I'm sure he doesnt mind :P

Posted Image

#16 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:37 AM

It's a numbers game. My friend received like 50 messages per day, and she was probably just 5/10.
You literally will have to spam. A quick humourous message that can be copy and pasted.

only just now read how your friend was "5/10". lol.

so spam and then hope for a reply? harsh. sounds like applying for a job.

#17 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:50 AM

Forcing dates may work but its like driving a car made under gunpoint. It may work but something isint right.
virtus junxit mors non separabit.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#18 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

I was in a similar situation about 4.5 years ago, except I was about 3 months past relationship that ended prematurely due to relgious differences. We were set up by my sister and I vowed to try something different this time. I had friends that had success on dating sites so I figured I'd give it a try. I went in with the mindset of not necessarily finding a relationship, but potentially meet interesting people and just take it from there.

I scanned POF but didn't really like it. Almost signed up to Match.com but had profile issues that annoyed me. Finally settled on eHarmony and shelled out the money. Heh, money well spent. The questions they walk you through with a match act as decent ice breakers (you can skip them if you want too). Within a month, I had been matched, contacted, and gone on the first date with the person that ended up being my wife now of 2.5 years.

So, yeah, good luck. But also, like Mountain Man said, don't force anything. If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. There usually isn't a shortage of profiles, so go with the ones that intrigue/excite you.

#19 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,004 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

Grrrr.... I had a nice in depth post and the board f'd me :mad:

Long and the short of it....

POF tends to be a bit of a "meat market" from my experience. That's not to say you can't find a relationship there (as evidenced above), it's just less likely IMO.

Like Wilbur, I ended up on EH. People seem to be looking for something more concrete and less superficial there. I figured that what I'd been doing/my preferences IRL weren't working out, so I'd see what they could do for me. They get a pretty in depth view of your personality/preferences which, so long as you and your matches are HONEST, means that pretty much everyone you get matched with should mesh with your personality. They also give you a pretty good volume of matches which even lets you be a bit picky,..lol. Now that doesn't mean that if you get matched with 150 people that they'll all be soul mates. It's still up to both of you to have/build chemistry, attraction and form the basis of a relationship. That doesn't just "happen". What it does do vastly is increase your odds of having that happen IMO. It allows you to narrow and streamline the field.

Be brutally honest with yourself when creating your profile though. If you don't want a smoker, say so etc. If you try to be "nice" or mask insecurities it will not give you the best results.

As for myself, I met my wife of about 1.5 years and recent mother of our twin boys on there. No regrets whatsoever :wub:

Edited by J.R., 27 November 2012 - 11:09 AM.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

Just watch out for the super great picture. Profile pics can be decieving....
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#21 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,004 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

Just watch out for the super great picture. Profile pics can be decieving....

Which brings me back to my honesty comments...
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 i4i

i4i

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

And Nev's pretty good looking too, seems like he has a nice personality, gets along well with people.. no idea what he was doing looking for love online! He's become famous because of it so I'm sure he doesnt mind :P

Yeah, he's lucky he got famous or he would've been a laughing stock. Do you watch his TV show?

Posted Image

Sig made by allons-y. Concept by canuckforever00.

Thanks guys.

#23 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

I was on a date with this really hot model once. We ate dinner, caught a flick...had a really good time. Then the plane landed.

/=S=/

#24 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,059 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

If the angle of the camera is anything higher than about 20°, abort! This is the myspace angle.
I have no problem with juicy chubbies, but don't try and be sneaky sneakz and spring it on guys on that first date.

#25 PowerIce

PowerIce

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

Why did my post get deleted? :rolleyes:

2013 CDC Poker, it's coming soon to a forum near you!

Posted Image

#26 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,033 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

Why did my post get deleted? :rolleyes:

Any posts that are meant as personal targets against either current or past members of the forum are not acceptable in any thread. We wish to respect everyone's privacy and show all members of the forum the respect they deserve.

Thanks.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#27 I♥Wellwood

I♥Wellwood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:00 AM

Yeah, he's lucky he got famous or he would've been a laughing stock. Do you watch his TV show?

Yeah, I really like it! I'm just waiting for the one episode where the person is exactly the same way as they represented themselves online :P

I didnt get to see PowerIce's post before it was deleted. Wonder what it said...

Posted Image

#28 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

I never did either.

I'm definitely surprised at how many of you have either had good experiences or know people who have. Thanks for posting.

Better get off my duff and find an appropriate photo and think of a username..

#29 I♥Wellwood

I♥Wellwood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

Better get off my duff and find an appropriate photo and think of a username..

Mainly (your real name here)

That way you're still sticking to your CDC name... sorta :)

Posted Image

#30 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

Mainly (your real name here)

That way you're still sticking to your CDC name... sorta :)

lol. gotta maintain some consistency, eh..

Hobbies: CDC... most active in the off topic and ex WN threads..
No dates until you reach 300 posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.