The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Online dating newb seeks guidance from cdc

Mainly Mattias

After years of sitting at home, with only cdc and work to entertain me, I have decided to try and get back into the dating scene. Maybe 'back' isn't quite the word I should be using. My last date was probably around 8 years ago (in the Cloutier era) and my dating history was pretty sparse even before that.

Dang, maybe this should be a how to date thread instead of a how to date online one.

...OK. I just reached the POF homepage and already I'm turned off by what I see...

I haven't even entered 'fat women' as a preference yet!!!

is there a better site to start this ...?

I was in a similar situation about 4.5 years ago, except I was about 3 months past relationship that ended prematurely due to relgious differences. We were set up by my sister and I vowed to try something different this time. I had friends that had success on dating sites so I figured I'd give it a try. I went in with the mindset of not necessarily finding a relationship, but potentially meet interesting people and just take it from there.

I scanned POF but didn't really like it. Almost signed up to Match.com but had profile issues that annoyed me. Finally settled on eHarmony and shelled out the money. Heh, money well spent. The questions they walk you through with a match act as decent ice breakers (you can skip them if you want too). Within a month, I had been matched, contacted, and gone on the first date with the person that ended up being my wife now of 2.5 years.

So, yeah, good luck. But also, like Mountain Man said, don't force anything. If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. There usually isn't a shortage of profiles, so go with the ones that intrigue/excite you.

Grrrr.... I had a nice in depth post and the board f'd me :mad:

Long and the short of it....

POF tends to be a bit of a "meat market" from my experience. That's not to say you can't find a relationship there (as evidenced above), it's just less likely IMO.

Like Wilbur, I ended up on EH. People seem to be looking for something more concrete and less superficial there. I figured that what I'd been doing/my preferences IRL weren't working out, so I'd see what they could do for me. They get a pretty in depth view of your personality/preferences which, so long as you and your matches are HONEST, means that pretty much everyone you get matched with should mesh with your personality. They also give you a pretty good volume of matches which even lets you be a bit picky,..lol. Now that doesn't mean that if you get matched with 150 people that they'll all be soul mates. It's still up to both of you to have/build chemistry, attraction and form the basis of a relationship. That doesn't just "happen". What it does do vastly is increase your odds of having that happen IMO. It allows you to narrow and streamline the field.

Be brutally honest with yourself when creating your profile though. If you don't want a smoker, say so etc. If you try to be "nice" or mask insecurities it will not give you the best results.

As for myself, I met my wife of about 1.5 years and recent mother of our twin boys on there. No regrets whatsoever :wub:

Archived