The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Red Wings prospect arrested, DUI in Teletubby costume

vancanfan

http://www.mlive.com/griffins/index.ssf/2012/11/red_wings_prospect_riley_sheah.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+detroit-redwings+%28Detroit+Red+Wings+-+MLive.com%29

It took me a whole to post this after laughing so much :lol:

Arrest report: Red Wings prospect Riley Sheahan was 'super drunk' in Teletubby costume

GRAND RAPIDS – Detroit Red Wings prospect Riley Sheahan had a blood-alcohol content of .30 – nearly four times the legal limit and nearly double the threshold for the “super-drunk’ charge he faces following his arrest in late October by Grand Rapids Police.

Sheahan, 20, who plays for the Grand Rapids Griffins, also was charged with providing false information. He was carrying the Michigan driver’s license of Brendan Smith when he was pulled over by police on Ottawa Avenue NW in downtown Grand Rapids.

Sheahan, who is from St. Catharines, Ontario, is teammates with Smith, also a touted Red Wings prospect who plays for the Griffins.

Details of the arrest were obtained by MLive through a Freedom of Information Act request.

Sheahan, the Red Wings top pick in the 2010 NHL draft, was wearing a purple Teletubby costume when he was pulled over shortly before midnight on Oct. 29 for driving a 2012 Jeep Wrangler the wrong way on Ottawa Avenue NW, near Pearl Street.

Police initially believed they had arrested Smith before learning later in the night that it was Sheahan.

The report reads:

“Riley had a Michigan driver’s license in the license window in his wallet, which is what Officer Dyer used as his ID. Deputies found Riley’s Canadian license in the wallet after it was turned in with his property and he kept telling them his name was Riley.

“Riley is only 20 and I asked him if he had Branden’s (sic) ID so he could get in the bars. He shook his head yes and stated ‘yea.’“

The report did not indicate how Sheahan got Smith’s ID.

Smith, 23, was the Red Wings top pick in the 2007 draft.

Messages left with representatives from the Red Wings were not returned. The Griffins today reiterated Sheahan will not be made available for comment, and they are handling the situation internally.

At the traffic stop, Sheahan failed a pair of sobriety tasks and refused a breath test.

After he was transported to Kent Country Jail, he agreed to a breathalyzer test and blew .30 twice, according to the report.

He was taken to Saint Mary’s Health Care afterward where he had to be cleared because of the high blood-alcohol content, the report said, before he was taken back to the jail.

Sheahan, who pleaded not guilty at an arraignment hearing in Grand Rapids District Court on Nov. 6, has his next hearing scheduled for Dec. 13. He was charged under the state's new "super drunk" distinction of driving with a blood-alcohol content of .17 or higher. The charge could carry up to 180 days in jail with a conviction and possible deportation because he is not a U.S. citizen.

His arrest came a day after the Griffins played a game at Chicago. He did not play in the team’s following game, a 3-2 loss Nov. 2 at San Antonio.

Sheahan is in his first full season with the Griffins after a successful collegiate career at Notre Dame. The 6-foot-2, 212-pound center has three goals and two assists in 15 games this season.

In 2010, Sheahan was arrested and charged with public intoxication and minor alcohol consumption in South Bend, Ind., when he was a freshman at Notre Dame.

Yea, it's easy to just laugh about it in these situations. But you never know what could have happened if he hadn't been stopped.

He needs to stop and think about how he could have injured or killed someone doing this. The fact that he is pleading not guilty shows that he really has no remorse. Take away his license for a few years, and then see if he's sorry.

The Not Guilty plea is necessary to protect his career. It doesn't speak to whether he is remorseful or contrite. He's a 20 year old who DD and was fortunate not to hurt himself or anyone else. A long driving ban and hefty community service should be enough.

Harming his ability to earn at his profession doesn't do anyone any good. Making him work every week at MADD for a year might.

The Not Guilty plea is necessary to protect his career. It doesn't speak to whether he is remorseful or contrite. He's a 20 year old who DD and was fortunate not to hurt himself or anyone else. A long driving ban and hefty community service should be enough.

Harming his ability to earn at his profession doesn't do anyone any good. Making him work every week at MADD for a year might.

Not guilty pleas in these cases are what pisses judges off and makes them hand out harsher sentences. The guy is guilty, I don't think there's any doubt in anyone's mind. All he's doing by pleading not guilty is not owning up to his mistake, and insulting the court's intelligence.

I don't care how old he is, if he doesn't care about his career (or his life) enough to not put himself in these kinds of situations, maybe he doesn't deserve to be an NHLer.

I'm all for second chances, but these kinds of idiots need to be punished to set an example. Just think about next time your wife or girlfriend, brother or sister, maybe your son or daughter are out driving. It doesn't matter how good a driver they are, if there's people on the road that are this careless.

Believe me, I understand as much as most how much DD can smash a family apart.

But I don't I don't support punitive laws for first time offenders. Progressive societies work with the victims and the guilty to mete out what is justice for a crime against the state.The plea will be procedural because he will have potential to lose more than the average person that is guilty of the same act who is an American citizen. The judge will understand this. This is not a normal DD law being applied here, this is the harshest in the land. I hope he is found guilty and I hope it is a very sobering experience for him.

Archived