vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

http://www.mlive.com...gs - MLive.com)

It took me a whole to post this after laughing so much :lol:

Arrest report: Red Wings prospect Riley Sheahan was 'super drunk' in Teletubby costume

GRAND RAPIDS – Detroit Red Wings prospect Riley Sheahan had a blood-alcohol content of .30 – nearly four times the legal limit and nearly double the threshold for the “super-drunk’ charge he faces following his arrest in late October by Grand Rapids Police.
Sheahan, 20, who plays for the Grand Rapids Griffins, also was charged with providing false information. He was carrying the Michigan driver’s license of Brendan Smith when he was pulled over by police on Ottawa Avenue NW in downtown Grand Rapids.
Sheahan, who is from St. Catharines, Ontario, is teammates with Smith, also a touted Red Wings prospect who plays for the Griffins.
Details of the arrest were obtained by MLive through a Freedom of Information Act request.

Sheahan, the Red Wings top pick in the 2010 NHL draft, was wearing a purple Teletubby costume when he was pulled over shortly before midnight on Oct. 29 for driving a 2012 Jeep Wrangler the wrong way on Ottawa Avenue NW, near Pearl Street.
Police initially believed they had arrested Smith before learning later in the night that it was Sheahan.
The report reads:

“Riley had a Michigan driver’s license in the license window in his wallet, which is what Officer Dyer used as his ID. Deputies found Riley’s Canadian license in the wallet after it was turned in with his property and he kept telling them his name was Riley.
“Riley is only 20 and I asked him if he had Branden’s (sic) ID so he could get in the bars. He shook his head yes and stated ‘yea.’“

The report did not indicate how Sheahan got Smith’s ID.
Smith, 23, was the Red Wings top pick in the 2007 draft.
Messages left with representatives from the Red Wings were not returned. The Griffins today reiterated Sheahan will not be made available for comment, and they are handling the situation internally.
At the traffic stop, Sheahan failed a pair of sobriety tasks and refused a breath test.
After he was transported to Kent Country Jail, he agreed to a breathalyzer test and blew .30 twice, according to the report.
He was taken to Saint Mary’s Health Care afterward where he had to be cleared because of the high blood-alcohol content, the report said, before he was taken back to the jail.
Sheahan, who pleaded not guilty at an arraignment hearing in Grand Rapids District Court on Nov. 6, has his next hearing scheduled for Dec. 13. He was charged under the state's new "super drunk" distinction of driving with a blood-alcohol content of .17 or higher. The charge could carry up to 180 days in jail with a conviction and possible deportation because he is not a U.S. citizen.
His arrest came a day after the Griffins played a game at Chicago. He did not play in the team’s following game, a 3-2 loss Nov. 2 at San Antonio.
Sheahan is in his first full season with the Griffins after a successful collegiate career at Notre Dame. The 6-foot-2, 212-pound center has three goals and two assists in 15 games this season.
In 2010, Sheahan was arrested and charged with public intoxication and minor alcohol consumption in South Bend, Ind., when he was a freshman at Notre Dame.

:picard:

#2 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

that is awesome

Posted Image

#freetorts

-Credit to blueberries-

#3 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

:picard: terrible. But the teletubby costume made me :lol:
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#4 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,342 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

That's pretty funny, but that's guy's an idiot.

Why do these young stars risk throwing away their careers like this? Surely he can afford to pay for a cab.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#5 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

What? Is there a limit on how much you're allowed to drink in North America? Haha, suckers :D

Edit: Ah, he was driving, that explains it.

Edited by Grammar Police, 27 November 2012 - 02:01 PM.

#6 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,010 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

He's pleaing not guilty, good luck!!
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

#7 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

a fine example of an idiot. could have killed someone on the road. He was going the wrong way. moron.

and to think there are ppl who look up to these guys, call them heroes and stand in lineup to get their autographs.

Edited by WHL rocks, 27 November 2012 - 02:30 PM.

#8 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

Being that drunk AND driving the wrong way, he should send the cop(s) who pulled him over a thank you card for saving his dumb arse from killing himself or someone else.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#9 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

Is there a video?

Edited by Where's Wellwood, 27 November 2012 - 02:38 PM.

Posted Image
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
My old sig: http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlSrrlAWJ7U

#10 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,342 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

Being that drunk AND driving the wrong way, he should send the cop(s) who pulled him over a thank you card for saving his dumb arse from killing himself or someone else.

Yea, it's easy to just laugh about it in these situations. But you never know what could have happened if he hadn't been stopped.

He needs to stop and think about how he could have injured or killed someone doing this. The fact that he is pleading not guilty shows that he really has no remorse. Take away his license for a few years, and then see if he's sorry.

Posted Image

#11 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

The kid's a boss.

* good to see that everyone's sarcasm detectors are in working condition

Edited by The Phaneuf Train, 27 November 2012 - 04:41 PM.

Posted Image

#12 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,228 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

Yea, it's easy to just laugh about it in these situations. But you never know what could have happened if he hadn't been stopped.

He needs to stop and think about how he could have injured or killed someone doing this. The fact that he is pleading not guilty shows that he really has no remorse. Take away his license for a few years, and then see if he's sorry.

The Not Guilty plea is necessary to protect his career. It doesn't speak to whether he is remorseful or contrite. He's a 20 year old who DD and was fortunate not to hurt himself or anyone else. A long driving ban and hefty community service should be enough.

Harming his ability to earn at his profession doesn't do anyone any good. Making him work every week at MADD for a year might.

Edited by theminister, 27 November 2012 - 03:37 PM.

#13 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

The Not Guilty plea is necessary to protect his career. It doesn't speak to whether he is remorseful or contrite. He's a 20 year old who DD and was fortunate not to hurt himself or anyone else. A long driving ban and hefty community service should be enough.

Harming his ability to earn at his profession doesn't do anyone any good. Making him work every week at MADD for a year might.

String him up by his toes and let the neighbor children beat him with a wiffle ball bat, I say.
CANUCKS TILL I DIE

#14 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,010 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

As this is already his second arrest involving drinking too much, I have a feeling the Red Wings will be requiring him to join A.A.
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

#15 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,342 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

Not guilty pleas in these cases are what pisses judges off and makes them hand out harsher sentences. The guy is guilty, I don't think there's any doubt in anyone's mind. All he's doing by pleading not guilty is not owning up to his mistake, and insulting the court's intelligence.

I don't care how old he is, if he doesn't care about his career (or his life) enough to not put himself in these kinds of situations, maybe he doesn't deserve to be an NHLer.

I'm all for second chances, but these kinds of idiots need to be punished to set an example. Just think about next time your wife or girlfriend, brother or sister, maybe your son or daughter are out driving. It doesn't matter how good a driver they are, if there's people on the road that are this careless.

Posted Image

#16 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Posted Image

Riley Sheahan, right, dressed as a Teletubby.

http://ca.sports.yah...-193545623.html

#17 surtur

surtur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

i agree he made a mistake and he will have enough to deal with other then jail time or deportation that will make him think about ever doing it again .
I bet any of you he feels like an absolute piece of garbage right now, he has to face friends , family, teammates, coaches, and even a potential end of his career due to one night of getting carried away. IT is not ok to drink and drive and a lot of people get hurt doing it. was he an idiot yes, was he immature yes, did he put himself and others at risk yes. but i bet you anything he has more of a chance of becoming a repeat offender if his career is ended because of this and he loses everything he ever worked for. i would say don't let him drive for i don't know ... a year, considering how much he had to drink, make him do things to bring attention to the dangers of drinking driving.. (team him up with someone who talks to schools about how they lost a friend, or family member to a drunk driver and he can talk to the kids about how he was lucky not to)

Not guilty pleas in these cases are what pisses judges off and makes them hand out harsher sentences. The guy is guilty, I don't think there's any doubt in anyone's mind. All he's doing by pleading not guilty is not owning up to his mistake, and insulting the court's intelligence.

I don't care how old he is, if he doesn't care about his career (or his life) enough to not put himself in these kinds of situations, maybe he doesn't deserve to be an NHLer.

I'm all for second chances, but these kinds of idiots need to be punished to set an example. Just think about next time your wife or girlfriend, brother or sister, maybe your son or daughter are out driving. It doesn't matter how good a driver they are, if there's people on the road that are this careless.

no a not guilty plea means he hopes to get less then the minimum sentence if he pleaded guilty (anyone with a lawyer would do this under these circumstances)

Edited by surtur, 27 November 2012 - 07:13 PM.

Release The KraKassian
Posted Image

#18 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,228 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

Believe me, I understand as much as most how much DD can smash a family apart.

But I don't I don't support punitive laws for first time offenders. Progressive societies work with the victims and the guilty to mete out what is justice for a crime against the state.The plea will be procedural because he will have potential to lose more than the average person that is guilty of the same act who is an American citizen. The judge will understand this. This is not a normal DD law being applied here, this is the harshest in the land. I hope he is found guilty and I hope it is a very sobering experience for him.

Edited by theminister, 27 November 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#19 surtur

surtur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

Believe me, I understand as much as most how much DD can smash a family apart.

But I don't I don't support punitive laws for first time offenders. Progressive societies work with the victims and the guilty to mete out what is justice for a crime against the state.The plea will be procedural because he will have potential to lose more than the average person that is guilty of the same act who is an American citizen. The judge will understand this. This is not a normal DD law being applied here, this is the harshest in the land. I hope he is found guilty and I hope it is a very sobering experience for him.

the thing is there are a bunch of sleaze bags that are habitual DD'ers and seem to always get off and then someone that has some sort of meaningful reputation or status does it and they get the book thrown at them because if it happens to them maybe others will think twice. i hope he gets to continue playing hockey but i hope they find a punishment that prevents him from doing it again.
Release The KraKassian
Posted Image

#20 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Pfft, you're not even drunk until you've hit Double Super Drunk.
Posted Image

#21 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

That's pretty funny, but that's guy's an idiot.

Why do these young stars risk throwing away their careers like this? Surely he can afford to pay for a cab.

Probably not the issue here.
(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#22 surtur

surtur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

Probably not the issue here.

yeah more a kid getting way to carried away ...and drinking to much (maybe other substances were involved ..Who knows.)
Release The KraKassian
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.