The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Company collects data on millions of illegal downloaders in first step to crack down on piracy in Canada

aGENT

Guess I'm in the minority then.

I was on Napster for a bit when it got popular in the late 90s/early 2000s and bought what I liked. Honestly now, bands are proactive enough to have good previews of albums, most tv shows I miss episodes of I can watch streamed on the network site, and movies I'll take the chance or do the research when purchasing.

Everyone says that the death of music/movie industry is from it's refusal to jump on the digital bandwagon. Although they are slow to get on they are pretty much there now. Personally, I think the death of the music/movie industry can be blamed on cell phones. What used to get spent on albums and movies, now pays the cell phone bill.

I don't get how people think it's not stealing. Just because it's easy to do and a lot of people do it, doesn't make it right. Are you a monster for doing it? No. But you're getting something for free that wasn't meant to be free.

People also do it becasue they are getting tired of being nickel and dimed for garbage. I can't tell you how many albums I went and bought becasue the first releases sounded great and then the rest of the album was crap. So I'd end up paying $25 with tax for one flash in the pan song. It is very difficult to actually purchase only what you need these days. Try to get a cell phone package that meets your needs without getting ripped off. It's almost impossible.

We're sick of it.

People also do it becasue they are getting tired of being nickel and dimed for garbage. I can't tell you how many albums I went and bought becasue the first releases sounded great and then the rest of the album was crap. So I'd end up paying $25 with tax for one flash in the pan song. It is very difficult to actually purchase only what you need these days. Try to get a cell phone package that meets your needs without getting ripped off. It's almost impossible.

We're sick of it.

What if you've never received a warning letter from Shaw or whatever? I don't download much, I download an episode of The League every thursday night cause my FX channel is screwy for some reason, and I download seasons of tv shows and put them on a usb then delete them from my laptop. They can't charge you without warning you can they?

I've been downloading episodes of the Amazing Race because this season it hasn't seemed to start at the proper time more than once so I end up with like 25 minutes of f'ing 60 minutes on my G.D. PVR and only 35 minutes of the show. PISSES ME OFF TO NO END.

You realize that its only 1 small company based in Richmond (I think) that's purposely seeding their movies to get IP addresses to sue them? However, the movies they produce are really bad, and I'm sure you guys never have even seen them. I'll find the list..but its a bunch of no name movies.

edit: Here is the movie list guys. Don't download these...and you'll be fine.

Filmography as: Production Company, Distributor, Miscellaneous Company

Distributor - filmography

Miscellaneous Company - filmography

• Triple Dog (2010) ... Production Services By
  • What Goes Up (2009) ... Production Services Provided By
  • Impulse (2008) (V) ... Production Services Provided By

You realize that its only 1 small company based in Richmond (I think) that's purposely seeding their movies to get IP addresses to sue them? However, the movies they produce are really bad, and I'm sure you guys never have even seen them. I'll find the list..but its a bunch of no name movies.

I don't think I've even heard of any of those :lol: Where'd you get this info?

With that list of movies, good luck on catching anyone. I would be really surprised to know if they even have viewers for those movies. Most of them are probably made for TV movies.

Hurt Locker file-sharing lawsuits put the hurt on everyone

File sharing lawsuits involving the movie the Hurt Locker have been big news in the United States for months as tens of thousands of lawsuits have been filed against individuals alleged to have illegally downloaded the movie. The lawsuits have now made their way into Canada as the Federal Court of Canada has ordered the identification of subscribers at Bell Canada, Cogeco, and Videotron who face similar copyright infringement claims.

Late last month the court ordered the three ISPs to disclose the names and addresses of subscribers linked to IP addresses alleged to have copied the movie. The ISPs complied last week as lawyers for the Hurt Locker copyright owner moved to have their case treated as a “specially managed proceeding” that would put the case on a rocket docket.

The lawsuits hurt seemingly everyone. The dozens of targeted Canadians will feel the greatest pain given the prospect of paying thousands of dollars in copyright damages, settlement fees, or legal costs for downloading a single movie. Canada is in the distinct minority of countries worldwide since it has statutory damages that allow a court to impose damages as high as $20,000 per infringement irrespective of the actual damages (most countries require evidence of the actual damages).

The targeted individuals will therefore face two unappealing options: settle the lawsuit for thousands of dollars (U.S. cases typically settle for approximately $4,000 U.S.) or spend thousands in legal fees to fight the claim with the risk of a $20,000 damage award looming at the end. Even if a court awards far less (or the defendant wins), the legal costs will still likely be larger than simply settling the case.

The movie industry also comes out a loser in this case since file sharing lawsuits have done little to curb copyright infringement. Indeed, the experience in other jurisdictions demonstrates that offering reasonably priced, legal alternatives is a far better method of persuading the public to move from free to fee.

Moreover, the lawsuits now make the industry look untrustworthy given its earlier insistence that it had no plans to launch file sharing claims in Canada. At a House of Commons hearing earlier this year, NDP MP Charlie Angus specifically asked industry representatives about the prospect of Hurt Locker lawsuits migrating north. Their response: “We’re not interested in sweeping up the John Does.” Despite those assurances, months later dozens of Canadians have had their personal information disclosed and face thousands in liability.

The Internet providers look bad here as well. Bell Canada, Videotron, and Cogeco have acknowledged revealing their subscribers’ information, maintaining that they simply complied with a valid court order. Yet when the music industry launched similar lawsuits several years ago, providers such as Shaw and Telus raised concerns before the court could issue the order. In doing so, they ensured that the court considered the privacy implications of mandated disclosure and gave the individuals an opportunity to challenge the industry’s demands. In this instance, the three providers stood quietly on the sidelines, leaving their subscribers without representation.

Finally, the government now finds itself in a bind. Already facing Wikileaks disclosures that demonstrate U.S. influence over its copyright bill, it must now also address public concern that current Canadian law could lead to thousands of similar lawsuits.

Bill C-32 tried to address the issue by creating a $5,000 cap on liability for non-commercial infringement, yet the Hurt Locker case suggests that does not go far enough. A better approach would be to eliminate statutory damages in non-commercial cases altogether. That change, which would bring Canada into line with most of its trading partners, would allow for full $20,000 per infringement liability for commercial infringement, while requiring claimants to offer evidence of actual damages in non-commercial cases.

I want to know who doesn't download movies, TV shows, Video games, songs etc? I think they would be in minority.

I downloaded illegally in my late teens and early twenties. However, for about 9 years now, I haven't downloaded illegally at all. There's this thing called money that I found out about once I started earning it. I realized that if I can afford something, I'll pay for it. However, if I can't, then I'll spend that time with my family or trying to make more money.Now that I make a comfortable living, I don't even remember the last time I even thought about not paying for something that I could just as easily download. If I really want it, I pay for it. Simple as that. I'm not a criminal.

Ludicrous - what a waste of taxpayers dollars and court system back logging... What's next go back and track down everyone who recorded music off the radio using record tapes? Or record movies on tv using VHS?

Not to mention but isn't it illegal for canipre to "bait" by putting out your own movie copies then spying and legally charge them for downloading? Someone in here must be a legal expert...

I downloaded illegally in my late teens and early twenties. However, for about 9 years now, I haven't downloaded illegally at all. There's this thing called money that I found out about once I started earning it. I realized that if I can afford something, I'll pay for it. However, if I can't, then I'll spend that time with my family or trying to make more money.Now that I make a comfortable living, I don't even remember the last time I even thought about not paying for something that I could just as easily download. If I really want it, I pay for it. Simple as that. I'm not a criminal.

Well, most people that I know are criminals since they just download bunch of movies from torrents. I even know a vet who makes 6 figures and has 3 beamers yet he downloads a bunch of movies each week to watch from the comfort of his house. My point is that you might be in the minority when it comes to this. I personally don't download because I want everything on demand and thats why I have Netflix and go to streaming sites. People still download movies and songs but I think with the increase in internet speeds, everyone will eventually be streaming via Hulu, Pandora, XBMC, Netflix etc.

Ludicrous - what a waste of taxpayers dollars and court system back logging... What's next go back and track down everyone who recorded music off the radio using record tapes? Or record movies on tv using VHS?

Not to mention but isn't it illegal for canipre to "bait" by putting out your own movie copies then spying and legally charge them for downloading? Someone in here must be a legal expert...

I think they should be targeting people who distribute and upload stuff on the internet for downloads instead of targeting downloaders. It is a stupid strategy to target downloaders and it has never worked.

I think they should be targeting people who distribute and upload stuff on the internet for downloads instead of targeting downloaders. It is a stupid strategy to target downloaders and it has never worked.

Since they're targetting Bittorrent, most users fall into both categories.

Anyways, this is going nowhere fast. People might have open wifi hotspots, dynamic IPs, etc. Computers get hacked all the time and are used for distributing software. It would take too much time to definitely prove that someone knowingly downloaded something.

one million people downloaded a Stone Cold Steve Austin movie?? Whattttt???

The invasion of privacy from this Burnaby Company is not illegal??? Come on

Why not go after the people who upload the file for other people to download? Jeez, just the rich trying to take more from the poor, thems gonna be some pretty stacked prisons in the near future if this bullcra+ flies, mes no think so!!

This'll only deter some of the newbie downloaders

First, Shaw has explicitly stated they will protect the privacy of their customers on these matters. So, a company would have to sue Shaw, then win, to get information to sue you next. Bell will rat you out though :P, and I wouldn't be surprised on Telus.

Next, that $5000 cap really puts a damper on things. So they'll mostly result to scare tactics and threatening letters -- for the most part you can dismiss it. Being sued for $5000 wouldn't cover legal fees and certainly isn't enough to get any media exposure (which is what they would want -- hence their ridiculous cases in the US for millions).

If you're really paranoid about it, start using a VPN ($4-ish a month), use private tracking sites instead of public ones, and I think there are a few bit torrent programs out there with additional security measures.

Archived