The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Walmart Workers Killed a Man on Sunday

dudeone

Walmart Workers Killed a Man on Sunday

By Adam Clark Estes | The Atlantic Wire – Sun, Nov 25, 2012

http://news.yahoo.co...9--finance.html

If there's anything that Walmart didn't need on Black Friday weekend, it was a jaw-dropping headline about somebody dying in their parking lot after a run-in with a couple of employees. Unfortunately for the big box retailer, that's exactly what happened on early Sunday morning at a store in Lithonia, Georgia.

It's a sad, simple story. An unidentified man allegedly stole two DVD players from the electronics department and left the store through the front door. Two Walmart employees and a contracted security guard chased him into the parking lot. A "physical altercation" took place, and apparently, the security guard put the man in a choke hold. Police arrived soon thereafter to find the three workers on top of the suspected shoplifter who was unresponsive and bleeding from his nose and mouth. The man was taken to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

"No amount of merchandise is worth someone's life," said Walmart spokesperson Dianna Gee in a statement. "Associates are trained to disengage from situations that would put themselves or others at risk." She added, "That being said, this is still an active investigation and we're working with police to provide any assistance." Walmart put the two employees on paid leave and fired the security guard.

Regardless of what happens at the end of that investigation, there's no way Walmart is going to come out of this one looking good. It truly sounds like this was a horrible accident, the kind that makes it hard to point fingers or figure out what went wrong. However, this incident also happened as thousands of Walmart workers nationwide were protesting poor treatment by their employers. Are the two things related? Only insofar as it adds up to a ton of bad press for a company long known to promote mass hysteria on Black Friday weekend. It's a problem that people are still dying at their stores, years after warnings signs like the Walmart employee who was trampled to death on Black Friday.

Thank God the new Black Friday trend is online shopping.

Not much to do with 'black Friday' judging from the report. When you steal from a store and get into an altercation that's your own fault. I have no remorse for the person who lost his life. You could start a fight and end up getting killed from a mere punch to the head. Any number of things could have killed this 'thief' and I don't fault the employees for defending their merchandise.

Of course the wall mart spokesperson 'values life more than merchandise' now playing white knight. Were there measures in place to prevent employees from chasing thieves and did they sign an agreement? That should have been done if what the spokesperson says is true. And why hire security in the first place if you don't expect them to subdue a thief? Talk about crapping on the 'little guy'.

You work for wall mart - don't expect them to have your back for anything. If you allow the thief to steal then a report comes down from the head office that revenue is down. You get fired. If you prevent those store losses then hurt the thief. You get fired. Ultimately it's the ones siting in the office who are always safe from any responsibility.

Not much to do with 'black Friday' judging from the report. When you steal from a store and get into an altercation that's your own fault. I have no remorse for the person who lost his life. You could start a fight and end up getting killed from a mere punch to the head. Any number of things could have killed this 'thief' and I don't fault the employees for defending their merchandise.

Of course the wall mart spokesperson 'values life more than merchandise' now playing white knight. Were there measures in place to prevent employees from chasing thieves and did they sign an agreement? That should have been done if what the spokesperson says is true. And why hire security in the first place if you don't expect them to subdue a thief? Talking about crapping on the 'little guy'.

You work for wall mart - don't expect them to have your back for anything. If you allow the thief to steal then a report comes down from the head office that revenue is down. You get fired. If you prevent those store losses then hurt the thief. You get fired. Ultimately it's the ones siting in the office who are always safe from any responsibility.

It's not their merchandise, it's Wal-mart's, and this will cost them way more than the $100 worth of DVD players that were stolen.

Legal fees, deductibles, insurance premiums, and will likely settle out of court for an amount over and above what their insurance will cover. That isn't even to say what, if any, effect the negative press will have on patronage.

It's standard practice in the retail industry to not chase after thieves.

sad thing is i support people that steal from big corporations rather then stealing from there fellow man/woman.

if someone i meet says they went to jail for stealing from my neighbor f' them if they say they went to jail for stealing from walmart ... whatever. stealing is not ok but as long as they don't break into my house or another persons house i can tolerate that.

as for the employees if it is anything like in canada i am sure they tell you to never put yourself or someone else at harm if someone steals from the store.

every place i have worked that had anything to do with public access to our environment and a potential to steal our money or merchandise i was always told give them what they want if they rob you, confront them if they steal from you but do not engage in any physical altercations with them if they do not comply. i was also told if i do try to prevent a robbery in a physical way or get into an altercation with someone stealing merchandise i will be terminated immediately.

It's not their merchandise, it's Wal-mart's, and this will cost them way more than the $100 worth of DVD players that were stolen.

Legal fees, deductibles, insurance premiums, and will likely settle out of court for an amount over and above what their insurance will cover. That isn't even to say what, if any, effect the negative press will have on patronage.

It's standard practice in the retail industry to not chase after thieves.

sad thing is i support people that steal from big corporations rather then stealing from there fellow man/woman.

if someone i meet says they went to jail for stealing from my neighbor f' them if they say they went to jail for stealing from walmart ... whatever. stealing is not ok but as long as they don't break into my house or another persons house i can tolerate that.

as for the employees if it is anything like in canada i am sure they tell you to never put yourself or someone else at harm if someone steals from the store.

every place i have worked that had anything to do with public access to our environment and a potential to steal our money or merchandise i was always told give them what they want if they rob you, confront them if they steal from you but do not engage in any physical altercations with them if they do not comply. i was also told if i do try to prevent a robbery in a physical way or get into an altercation with someone stealing merchandise i will be terminated immediately.

Archived