The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Homework Thread 2.0

UMB

I thought it's divide, how come its multiply? ..... the answer is correct I'm just trying to figure it out because on a different question it was divide to get the right answer?

I thought ,

Sin = Opp (divide) hyp

Cos = Adj (divide) hyp

Tan = Opp (divide) adj

How do you know when to divide or multiply?

You are correct but we are trying to find X, so we gotta get X on it's own. So to move the 9.8 to the other side you gotta multiply it by the tan62 to find X

That sounds terrible.

That's starting bring back nightmares from my Game Theory class last year...

Game theory's pretty cool, but once you start applying it to real life, it gets complicated with competing firms and what not. I miss the good ol days of the simple prisoners dilemma

Has anyone ever written a "briefing"? I have to write one, but not exactly sure how it's supposed to be written. Is it just like a fancy word for essay? I'll probably end up asking the prof much to my chagrin

I hate writing, and try to avoid classes that involve a lot of writing . I prefer the short answer math questions kinda thing so forgive my cluelessness when it comes to writing papers

Game theory's pretty cool, but once you start applying it to real life, it gets complicated with competing firms and what not. I miss the good ol days of the simple prisoners dilemma

Game theory is stupid. Expected payoff problems were the most annoying thing ever. It's a nice concept in the beginning, but once you start getting more in depth with it, it just becomes frustrating. Aside from Calculus, I think my lowest mark has been in Game Theory.

Game theory is stupid. Expected payoff problems were the most annoying thing ever. It's a nice concept in the beginning, but once you start getting more in depth with it, it just becomes frustrating. Aside from Calculus, I think my lowest mark has been in Game Theory.

I'm taking an experimental econ class this semester. Pretty much all game theory. In labs we just play a bunch of different games.

A common separation technique used in molecular biology, genetics, and forensic science is DNA gel electrophoresis. In this technique, DNA molecules of different sizes can be separated by subjecting them to an electric field and measuring their migration through a gel. The gel is a porous material, usually made of agarose or polyacrylamide. This assignment allows you to explore the roles played by electric charges, fields and currents in this process.

a) What is the total net charge of double-stranded DNA that is 500 basepairs (bp) in length?

in my textbook it says each individual bp=0.2e or 0.4e and each e is -1.6*10^19C

Therefore, i did (0.2)(-1.6*10^-19)(500bp) is this correct?

B) In agarose gel electrophoresis, two parallel and oppositely charged electrodes are situated at opposite ends of the gel. The surrounding solution is a “buffer”, an aqueous salt solution maintained at constant pH. The gel is made in the same buffer, with a small concentration of agarose. Because the concentration of agarose is small , everything between the electrodes can be considered to have the same dielectric constant. In the schematic below, sketch the electric field lines within the apparatus, taking care to note their direction.

Not sure what the heck is going on here

• 8 months later...

Had to resurrect this thread. First year physics problem that I'm having trouble with.

Given ---> Solar panels on earth perform energy conversion at 100% efficiency. Mean distance to the sun is 149.6 * 10^6 km.

a) How long does radiation emitted by the sun to reach Earth?

B) Sun emits 3.8*10^26W of power. Intensity at Earth?

c) What is the amount of power that would fall on a solar panel that is 100m x 10m located on the Earth's surface?

d) BC Hydro has a power capacity of 12GW. How large a solar panel is needed to replace all currently used sources of electrical power supply?

Not sure what the heck is going on here

Physics 102. Classic.

Had to resurrect this thread. First year physics problem that I'm having trouble with.

Given ---> Solar panels on earth perform energy conversion at 100% efficiency. Mean distance to the sun is 149.6 * 10^6 km.

a) How long does radiation emitted by the sun to reach Earth?

B) Sun emits 3.8*10^26W of power. Intensity at Earth?

c) What is the amount of power that would fall on a solar panel that is 100m x 10m located on the Earth's surface?

d) BC Hydro has a power capacity of 12GW. How large a solar panel is needed to replace all currently used sources of electrical power supply?

Physics 102. Classic.

This would be easier if you listed all the relevant formulas with the question

• 3 months later...

Archived