The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Homework Thread 2.0

UMB

Just looking for help, not "omg you can't do grade 9 math.."

I think he's implying the opposite, that the level of math is above him. In any case...

1. What's happening is you're trying to find the function for the case of (n+1), since you used your base case of (1) and found that to be true.

2. Assumption is your formula is true!

therefore

3. Since i = 1 (you're starting number), up to you're final number [ i =n ] and [ i = n+1] which is larger than that.\

4. You're left with the formula i = 1^2 + 2^2 + 3^2 + 4^2 .... etc + n^2 + (n+1)^2

BUT, we already know what the bolded portion of the formula is, ASSUMING what we're given is true. This is because we are starting at one and ending with n.

Substitute that long chain of garbage with the original formula and you get line beside (by our induction hypothesis)

5. Everything from there on out is simple factory and simplification. Feel free to ask if you're still confused!

I think he's implying the opposite, that the level of math is above him. In any case...

1. What's happening is you're trying to find the function for the case of (n+1), since you used your base case of (1) and found that to be true.

2. Assumption is your formula is true!

therefore

3. Since i = 1 (you're starting number), up to you're final number [ i =n ] and [ i = n+1] which is larger than that.\

4. You're left with the formula i = 1^2 + 2^2 + 3^2 + 4^2 .... etc + n^2 + (n+1)^2

BUT, we already know what the bolded portion of the formula is, ASSUMING what we're given is true. This is because we are starting at one and ending with n.

Substitute that long chain of garbage with the original formula and you get line beside (by our induction hypothesis)

5. Everything from there on out is simple factory and simplification. Feel free to ask if you're still confused!

The line after (by our induction hypothesis)

Why does (n+1)^2 move to the left side, and where does ^2 go? Every other example does this. I guess it doesn't matter so much why it happens, as long as you know that it's supposed to?

And what is going on in the square brackets there on the same line?

He doesn't explain any of this. It's assumed knowledge at this point. Knowledge I don't have..

Watching a video on it right now.. it makes a little more sense but, yeah..

The line after (by our induction hypothesis)

Why does (n+1)^2 move to the left side, and where does ^2 go? Every other example does this. I guess it doesn't matter so much why it happens, as long as you know that it's supposed to?

And what is going on in the square brackets there on the same line?

He doesn't explain any of this. It's assumed knowledge at this point. Knowledge I don't have..

See how initially it was

= (n+1) ^2 + equation? HINT: (n+1)^2 can also be written as (n+1)(n+1)

the line after factored out an (n+1) from BOTH equations, you can see it disappear from the numerator of the original equation too!

the next line is essentially

[ (equation w/ (n+1) factored out) + (A w/ (n+1) factored out) ] x (n+1)

ABOVE is original factored ABOVE was factored out

And since 2x3 = 3x2 what happened in the next line is they just decided to put the (n+1) in front.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The square brackets aren't special, it just keeps things from getting confusing, because having a whole row of (((((((((((( )))))))))))))))))) would get pretty confusing.

Basically it's just for easy perception of the question. Judging from what you're struggling with, I think you just need to brush up on the different forms of fractions and polynomials.

See how initially it was

= (n+1) ^2 + equation? HINT: (n+1)^2 can also be written as (n+1)(n+1)

the line after factored out an (n+1) from BOTH equations, you can see it disappear from the numerator of the original equation too!

the next line is essentially

[ (equation w/ (n+1) factored out) + (A w/ (n+1) factored out) ] x (n+1)

ABOVE is original factored ABOVE was factored out

And since 2x3 = 3x2 what happened in the next line is they just decided to put the (n+1) in front.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The square brackets aren't special, it just keeps things from getting confusing, because having a whole row of (((((((((((( )))))))))))))))))) would get pretty confusing.

Basically it's just for easy perception of the question. Judging from what you're struggling with, I think you just need to brush up on the different forms of fractions and polynomials.

:lol: I don't get it at all but thanks anyway. I will have to do the basis, conclusion, and a few parts of induction but skip the actual process of solving it because it looks all arbitrary to me. That should be enough to pass the quiz today

• 1 year later...

hey..can anyone help me figure out this problem - http://imgur.com/eYcpHTU - thought of using help from https://www.enotes.com/homework-help/topic/geometry or http://yourhomeworkhelp.org/chemistry-homework-help/ but I'd rather try solving it on my own..so what I tried is calculating  sphere's radius as of a radius of the circle inside an equilateral triangle; then as a radius of the circle in isosceles triangle; then created a right triangle with the cone's sides and sphere's radius and tried using cos, sin, tan formulas to figure out the answer but after spending a couple of hours on it I've got no where near the answer..I''l appreciate any hint (I'm not asking for the solution - just some hints)..thanks

Archived