The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Homework Thread 2.0

UMB

yup you are

i understand why its 0.5 cos[π(t − 8)/6] but i dont understand why its 0.5 cos[π(t − 8)/6]+0.5. Why vertical shift by .5?

Also, the vertical displacement for sine and cosine is always found by using (max + min)/2. It's the average value of the function.

given that f (x)= square root [1+(lnx)^2] for x greater or equal to 1, find the inverse function

how do you do this?

x=root 1+ (lny)^2

x^2=1+(lny)^2

x^2-1=(lny)^2

root (x^2-1)=lny

e^(root(x^2-1) = y

what am i doing wrong?

The bolded should be the correction.

A block of mass m = 0.570 kg rests on top of a block of mass M = 2.30 kg. A string attached to the block of mass M is pulled so that its tension is T = 6.20 N at a 20o angle to the horizontal as shown. The blocks move together. The coefficient of static friction at the surface between the blocks is μs = 0.43; there is no friction at the surface between block M and the floor.

The tension T is now increased - what is the maximum tension, Tmax, with which the string can be pulled such that the blocks continue to move together (i.e. that the block of mass m does not start to slide on top of the block of mass M)

so i found Ff

mewFN=(0.43)(9.8)(0.570

=2.4

then

F=ma

Ftx-2.4=(2.3+0.57)(2.03)

Ftx=8.228M

Ftx/cos20=tmax

tmax=8.76N

Is this right?

• 2 weeks later...

A 15.0 g bullet with a speed of v = 235 m/s is fired into a block of wood that is initially at rest on a frictionless surface. The block of wood is attached to a horizontal massless spring with a spring constant k = 195 N/m that is initially uncompressed. The other end of the spring is attached to a wall as shown in the figure below. The bullet becomes imbedded in the block of wood which then compresses the spring a distance of 28.0 cm before momentarily coming to a stop.

1) determine the mass of the block

i know you use conservation of momentum to do this but how do you find final velocity which is needed to solve the problem?

• 4 weeks later...

Amateur, need help, can someone help me with this:

B=7.5 A=15.3 h=?

h2 = a2 + b2

h2 = (15.3)2 + (7.5)2

h = √ (15.3)2 + (7.5)2

h = √ 234.09 + 56.25

h = 23.2

Okay, I'm super amateur, I'm guessing the square root of the h gets transferred into √.... how does this work?

I don't know how it works so what I did was, 234.09+56.25=290.34 which has the square root of 17.03 (Wrong answer)

+'s to anyone who can teach me in laymen terms lol

Archived