The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Homework Thread 2.0

UMB

Another Question.

I know how to find a "side" using the pythagorean theorem.

But this question is asking me to "find the missing angle", how do I do this calculation?

fbbby9.jpg

The question has a symbol that resembles a zero (not degree) sign in a corner, I'm guessing this is the angle I'm suppose to find?

Also after reading a bit about this, Is this right?????

Tan = 7.9/12.3 = .6422764228 = tan -1 .6422764228 = 32.71 ....... Missing angle = 32.71 ?!?!

arc tangent 7.9/12.3

lol, what does that mean? Sorry you replied before I edited, I only seen your response now.

Oh I get it now, you mean (-1 Tan)

but

And am I suppose to write the answer as 4 digits for degrees (like 00.00) or am I suppose to keep it to 2 (00)?

Another Question, not asking for the answer necessarily but asking how I create the equation.....

" A tree has two support wires attached for stability. Both wires were attached to the tree 18 feet from the ground. If the longer wire was 32 feet long and the shorter wire 24 feet, what is the angle of elevation for both wires "

It shows a picture of a tree with the two wires attached to it on a angle, one longer, one shorter.......

Draw two triangles, both of which will have a side of 18 ft for the length of the tree. The hypotenuse for shorter wire triangle will be 24 and 32 for the long one. Basic trig from this point. The answers will be from the equations sinx = 18/32 and sinx = 18/24

What does sin(x) mean?

(Just learned Sin,Cos,Tan and then the -1's)

.... Also which angle am I trying to determine, the one where the wire connects to the top of the tree or the one were the hypo. reaches the ground?

Your triangles are correct. Questions I want you to think about:

What does "angle of elevation" mean? If we're referring to elevation from the ground one is a clear choice. Explain to me why

Can we use Pythagoras on a non-right triangle? We can assume the tree is perpendicular to the ground. This creates a 90 degree angle

Angle of elevation = the angle at the top of the wire connected to the tree Im thinking?

Im not sure tbh lol No you can't.

If something is extending from the ground up at an angle, the angle between the ground and the wire is the angle of elevation because it's elevating from the ground. Does that make sense?

Yup...... So the ground would be Opp..... 18ft would be Adj ..... and I would use Cos ....... Cos-1 (18/32) = 55.77

So the angle for the 32ft one is 55 degrees?

Make sure to round up

New France being a haven for women relative to how it was in other colonies and Europe

...what the hell is New France? My primary focus was "world" Really Chinese/Asian history and my secondary was Military History.. saying I was a "History" major is like saying you're studying "Science." I had a particular aversion to North American history.

Off the top of my head I'd say any time a place (especially so far away from the home countries) is settled - every member of the expedition becomes that much more important. Being important means having more responsibilities but also more respect in the community. I also remember that a lot of people came over to North America as Indentured Servants and most were males... so females were at a premium simply as mates/spouses.

One last question before I pass out.....

5ydenl.jpg

If we use A to start, tan-1 (22/32) = 34.5 degrees

and then 180-90-34.5 = gives us angle C (55.5)

but...

how am I suppose to know which angle to go with first? Cause if I started with C, I'd have the same equation and would be given 34.5 which is wrong according to the textbook.......

Archived