The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Homework Thread 2.0

UMB

Again....Page 8 http://www.surreycon...Worplace SA.pdf

"Stew is installing a drainpipe that requires a bend in it. The first part of the drain pipe is 5.4m long and makes a angle of depression of 17 degrees with the surface of the ground. The second part is 5.1m long and makes a angle of 37degrees with the horizontal. how many metres below the surface of the ground is the end of the drain pipe?"

Im stuck for some reason, I drew two right angles, one from the top to the bend and the other from the bend to the bottom......

Cos 17 = .9563 adj/5.4

Cos 37 = .7986 adj/5.1

how do i move forward here?

.9563 X 5.4 = 5.16 for the first one , so 5.16 is the OPP?

.7986 X 5.1 = 4.07 for the 2nd??

2le3v5i.jpg

(Black is the line given, red is what I drew in..... 17 degrees, 37 degrees)

^I think your angles are wrong. Angle of depression is measured from the horizontal so what you have labelled as 17d should be the complement of that (90 - 17 = 73 d).

Same thing with the 37 degree angle - I think it should be 90-37 = 53 degrees.

Then cos(73) = adj/5.4 which makes the adj = 5.4 * cos(73). Do the same for the other one and then add the two adj together to get total depth.

I hope this helps.

^I think your angles are wrong. Angle of depression is measured from the horizontal so what you have labelled as 17d should be the complement of that (90 - 17 = 73 d).

Same thing with the 37 degree angle - I think it should be 90-37 = 53 degrees.

Then cos(73) = adj/5.4 which makes the adj = 5.4 * cos(73). Do the same for the other one and then add the two adj together to get total depth.

I hope this helps.

It did thanks,

I came to 4.65 m for the answer?

I gotta write an argument paragraph one 1 of these 4 questions. I hate this topic... which one do you think is the easiest to write about and help me out with some examples?

1. Should companies be permitted to advertise where news is reported (TV, radio, magazines, newspapers)?

2. Should schools form partnerships with corporations to ensure up-to-date technology for students?

3. Should corporations have the right to advertise in any public space, or should restrictions on the places

companies can advertise be imposed?

4. Is advertising in public spaces is advantageous to consumers?

I would super appreciate it!

• 1 month later...

Man I left my math assignments alone for a few weeks and its like I forgot everything, can someone refresh my memory please?

The answer is given, I need to show the work.

How do I find the missing side?

3133frq.jpg

SOHCAHTOA

Tan = opposite/adjacent

tan62 = X/9.8

1.880*9.8=X

X=18.4311

Thanks man, so all I need to do is punch in the degree of the angle and times that with the known side to find the missing side?

Not exactly sure what you mean

Basically gotta first figure out weather to use Cos, Sin, or Tan. In this case, we have the side 9.8 given and is adjacent to the angle, and we gotta find the opposite side X. So we use tan, opposite/adjacent

tan62degrees = x/9.8, enter it in the calculator

SOHCAHTOA

Tan = opposite/adjacent

tan62 = X/9.8

1.880*9.8=X

X=18.4311

I thought it's divide, how come its multiply? ..... the answer is correct I'm just trying to figure it out because on a different question it was divide to get the right answer?

I thought ,

Sin = Opp (divide) hyp

Cos = Adj (divide) hyp

Tan = Opp (divide) adj

How do you know when to divide or multiply?

I thought it's divide, how come its multiply? ..... the answer is correct I'm just trying to figure it out because on a different question it was divide to get the right answer?

I thought ,

Sin = Opp (divide) hyp

Cos = Adj (divide) hyp

Tan = Opp (divide) adj

How do you know when to divide or multiply?

It is Tan=Opp/adj but in this case you need to find the opp. So you multiply both sides by adj to give, Tan (adj)=opp

What have I done wrong here?

x2t8xt.jpg

9.3 (2) + 4.3 (2) = c(2)

86.49 + 18.49 = 104.98

square root of 104.98 = 10.24 = wrong answer?

I'm having some serious brain fart today, I understood this stuff a few weeks ago fine.

a^2 + b^2 = c^2

c is the hypotenuse, the longest side. 9.3 is the hypotenuse in this question. 4.3 can be a or b, it doesn't matter.

So you'd have: a^2 + (4.3)^2 = (9.3)^2

Then just rearrange to solve for a

It is Tan=Opp/adj but in this case you need to find the opp. So you multiply both sides by adj to give, Tan (adj)=opp

a^2 + b^2 = c^2

c is the hypotenuse, the longest side. 9.3 is the hypotenuse in this question. 4.3 can be a or b, it doesn't matter.

So you'd have: a^2 + (4.3)^2 = (9.3)^2

Then just rearrange to solve for a

What do you mean rearrange?

Im at..... a + 18.49 = 86.49

whats the next step?

What about this, here I'm trying to find the missing angle, that weird google at the top is my theta lol..... I came to the conclusion I will be using Cos because we know Adj and theta is next to Hyp.....

What is the formula I use to get the angle degree?

(Its a right angle forgot to draw the square)

2zpnmmq.jpg

What about this, here I'm trying to find the missing angle, that weird google at the top is my theta lol..... I came to the conclusion I will be using Cos because we know Adj and theta is next to Hyp.....

What is the formula I use to get the angle degree?

(Its a right angle forgot to draw the square)

2zpnmmq.jpg

You could use cos but then you'd have to solve for the hypotenuse because even though the theta is next to hyp, you don't know what hyp is. Notice that they give you two of the sides. Relative to theta, what are the given sides (adj, opp, or hyp) and which of sin, cos, tan is easiest to use in this case?

You could use cos but then you'd have to solve for the hypotenuse because even though the theta is next to hyp, you don't know what hyp is. Notice that they give you two of the sides. Relative to theta, what are the given sides (adj, opp, or hyp) and which of sin, cos, tan is easiest to use in this case?

Tan?

12.3=adj

7.9=opp

?-hyp

Archived