The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Homework Thread 2.0

UMB

How do I algebraically graph a parabola?

y= mx^2 + b

m is your slope. larger M value = narrower parabola,

If your equation is just x^2 + b, it will be easier.

B is your y-intercept and your minimum (or maximum if your slope is negative) value.

To graph it without a calculator, I'd suggest making a table of values (plug in for x to determine y) and graphing it that way. It is the simplest way without using calculus.

How do I algebraically graph a parabola?

y= mx^2 + b

m is your slope. larger M value = narrower parabola,

If your equation is just x^2 + b, it will be easier.

B is your y-intercept and your minimum (or maximum if your slope is negative) value.

To graph it without a calculator, I'd suggest making a table of values (plug in for x to determine y) and graphing it that way. It is the simplest way without using calculus.

to add to this:

factor as y=a(x-h)2 +k (by completing the square)

then the point (h,k) is where the vertex is located, and as stamkos said a is how fast the parabola opens up

Ahhh...just in time for finals.

Trigonometry/Calculus (First Year):

Consider a new function y=cosx and 0<x<pi (less than or equal to). What does cos^-1(-1/2) equal to?

I know this has something to do with the quadrant stuff from grade 12 but I can't seem to remember it,

x between zero and pi means that you are looking in the first or second quadrant (anything above the x-axis). the number -1/2 that you are taking the arccos of means that you are looking at a 1-2-sqrt(3) triangle (remember special triangles). that should be enough haha, but if it isn't post again and I can give you more hints

This question is killing me, A rock is released from the top of a 30 m-high cliff at the same time as a ball is thrown upwards from the base of the cliff at 20 m/s. How much time elapses before they collide?

You can actually ignore gravity here, as it has the same effect on both objects. the relative velocity between the rock and the ball is constant, and the distance they need to cover is given

Wow B2 that's impressive

I did the exam today and the lady there told me I will probably find out in 3 weeks.

Did u just do B2? Or did u do an A level then upgrade to B2?

What is the DELF exam about?

What is the DELF exam about?

The Diplôme d'études en langue française (DELF) (English: Diploma in French Studies) is a certification of French-language abilities for non-native speakers of French conducted by the FRENCH EMBASSY, administered by the International Centre for French Studies (Centre international d'études pédagogiques, or CIEP) for France's Ministry of Education. It is composed of four independent diplomas corresponding to the first four levels of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Above this level, the "Proficient User" divisions are certified by theDALF.

http://www.ciep.fr/en/delfdalf/index.php

Archived