The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Homework Thread 2.0

UMB

in my school days we didn't have CDC to help us with homework and get wrong answers, we did our homework drunk or high to get wrong answers instead.

I did my homework in high school stoned off my ass and graduated with a 3.9. Drunk may be apropos in this statement, but pot causes minimal effect on the brain. People have been believing myths demonizing it for years. THC is actually shown to improve concentration and as it is a neuroprotective...this means it actually protects against brain damage, especially against alcohol induced brain damage.

electrons are accelerated from rest through a potential of 500 v in an electron gun. Assuming that all of the work done on the electrons produce kinetic energy, what is the speed of the electrons leaving the gun

Help please!

mass of electron=9.1x10^-31

electron charge= 1.6x 10^-19

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, is that for POLI 100? I guess Erickson uses the same questions every year :lol:

As for the question itself, you could look into Switzerland and their independence from the EU and argue that sovereignty is still significant. Canada's protests against NAFTA? You could argue that sovereignty is necessary because states have many different interests. Take a look at Samuel Huntington's article "Clash of Civilizations." I did a different question last year so yeah...don't know if that even helps.

Hmm, I see. I am actually arguing for globalization. Thanks for the insight because now I can structure something to counter that.

• 6 months later...

On a straight road, a car speeds up at a constant rate from rest to 20 m/s over a 5 second interval and a truck slows at a constant rate from 20 m/s to a complete stop over a 10 second interval. How does the distance traveled by the truck compare to that of the car?

A) There is not enough information to answer the question.

B)The truck travels half as far as the car.

C) The truck travels twice as far as the car.

D)The truck travels the same distance as the car.

Car

I know vi=0

vf=20

t=5

vf=vi+at

a=4

vf^2=vi^2+2ad

d=50

truck

vf=20

vi=10

t=10

d=?

vf=vi+at

a=-2

vf^2=vi^2+2ad

d=100

anyone could tell me if i did it right?

d=?

On a straight road, a car speeds up at a constant rate from rest to 20 m/s over a 5 second interval and a truck slows at a constant rate from 20 m/s to a complete stop over a 10 second interval. How does the distance traveled by the truck compare to that of the car?

A) There is not enough information to answer the question.

B)The truck travels half as far as the car.

C) The truck travels twice as far as the car.

D)The truck travels the same distance as the car.

Constant rate of acceleration means that you can just take an average speed.

(20+0)/2 = 10 m/s over 5 seconds = 50 metres

(0+20)/2 = 10 m/s over 10 seconds = 100 metres

C) Truck travels twice as far as the car

A diver jumps off a 3.00 meter high diving board with an initial velocity of 1.75 m/s vertically upward.

• a) What is the diver’s velocity when she reaches the water? (Assume the surface of the water is 3.00 meters below the board.)

• B) What is the highest point the diver reaches above the water?

is this projectile motions? could someone show me how to do it

i tried

dy=3

viy=1.75

vfy=0

a=9.8

t=?

d=vit+1/2at^2

then using quadratics i got t=0.62s

am i on the right track?

A diver jumps off a 3.00 meter high diving board with an initial velocity of 1.75 m/s vertically upward.

• a) What is the diver’s velocity when she reaches the water? (Assume the surface of the water is 3.00 meters below the board.)
  • B) What is the highest point the diver reaches above the water?

is this projectile motions? could someone show me how to do it

i tried

dy=3

viy=1.75

vfy=0

a=9.8

t=?

d=vit+1/2at^2

then using quadratics i got t=0.62s

am i on the right track?

Haven't done physics in a while but here's my crack at it...

Part a)

vo = 0 m/s

a = 9.8 m/s^2

xo = 3 m

x = 0 m

v^2 = vo^2 + 2a(x-xo)

v^2 = 2(9.8)(3-0)

v = root(2*9.8*3)

v = 7.67 m/s

But....I am not sure because it doesn't give you how high the diver jumped.

Haven't done physics in a while but here's my crack at it...

Part a)

vo = 0 m/s

a = 9.8 m/s^2

xo = 3 m

x = 0 m

v^2 = vo^2 + 2a(x-xo)

v^2 = 2(9.8)(3-0)

v = root(2*9.8*3)

v = 7.67 m/s

But....I am not sure because it doesn't give you how high the diver jumped.

That's part b, the highest part. I thought it was parabolic so we would separate into x and y dimensions no?

Find the appropriate trigonometric function to describe the following rhythmic processes:

Sleep-wake cycles with peak wakefulness (W = 1) at 8:00 am and 8:00pm and peak sleepiness

(W = 0) at 2:00pm and 2:00 am.

the answer is this: W(t) = 0.5 + 0.5 cos[π(t − 8)/6].

anyone who why you need to include the bolded part. i get every other part

Find the appropriate trigonometric function to describe the following rhythmic processes:

Sleep-wake cycles with peak wakefulness (W = 1) at 8:00 am and 8:00pm and peak sleepiness

(W = 0) at 2:00pm and 2:00 am.

the answer is this: W(t) = 0.5 + 0.5 cos[π(t − 8)/6].

anyone who why you need to include the bolded part. i get every other part

If you try plugging in t = 8 (8:00 AM), you notice that without the added 0.5, W(8) = 0.5. But in the question it states that at 8:00 AM you're at peak wakefullness (W = 1). That's just a way to check the requirement of the 0.5 part. I'm not the best explainer :lol:

If you try plugging in t = 8 (8:00 AM), you notice that without the added 0.5, W(8) = 0.5. But in the question it states that at 8:00 AM you're at peak wakefullness (W = 1). That's just a way to check the requirement of the 0.5 part. I'm not the best explainer :lol:

But how would you form that equation without knowing it?

Okay so you know the following values from the question:

W(8) = 1

W(20) = 1

W(2) = 0

W(14)=0

So one thing you automatically know is the amplitude of the function ((max-min)/2) which is 0.5.

Also, you know that W(t) never outputs a negative value since the minimum value is 0. Therefore we know that our function must be of the form: x + 0.5cos(blah) where x is some number. Let me know if I'm making any sense before I continue further :lol:

Okay so you know the following values from the question:

W(8) = 1

W(20) = 1

W(2) = 0

W(14)=0

So one thing you automatically know is the amplitude of the function ((max-min)/2) which is 0.5.

Also, you know that W(t) never outputs a negative value since the minimum value is 0. Therefore we know that our function must be of the form: x + 0.5cos(blah) where x is some number. Let me know if I'm making any sense before I continue further :lol:

yup you are

i understand why its 0.5 cos[π(t − 8)/6] but i dont understand why its 0.5 cos[π(t − 8)/6]+0.5. Why vertical shift by .5?

Archived