21 replies to this topic

#1 Strombone1

Strombone1

GDT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

12:47AM EST November 28. 2012 - GLENDALE, Ariz. - The Glendale City Council voted 4-2 Tuesday night to enter into a 20-year, $320 million arena management deal with Phoenix Coyotes suitor Greg Jamison.

Jamison still must purchase the Coyotes from the NHL, which has owned the franchise since former owner Jerry Moyes filed the team into bankruptcy in 2009.

"Our goal is to work with the NHL and close a deal as quickly as possible," said Jamison, former president and chief executive of the San Jose Sharks.

Mayor Elaine Scruggs and Councilwoman Norma Alvarez had opposed the deal, calling the payments to Jamison to manage the city-owned hockey arena, which average $15 million annually, a subsidy.

Interim City Manager Horatio Skeete has said that keeping the Coyotes might be in the long-term best interest of the city, but it requires too many cuts in the near term. it would require the city to lay off employees to cut $17 million within five years. Without the team, Skeete estimates the city would need fewer layoffs to cut about $10 million. He estimates the city would lose money either way.

Jamison on Tuesday afternoon said he hasn't considered the council rejecting the deal. "We have concentrated on working with the city for a positive outcome," he said.

This is the second time in five months that the council will vote on an agreement with Jamison.
In June, the council approved a $324 million deal, but later sought to renegotiate. The reworked deal, which was voted on Tuesday night, lightens arena management payments in the first five years, provides incentives for Jamison to bring more non-hockey events and penalties for NHL lockouts, which have so far erased this season.

Sonu Munshi writes for the Arizona Republic

Edited by Strombone1, 27 November 2012 - 11:37 PM.

Commissioner of 2014-2015 Shapheat Fantasy Hockey League

Player of the Game - Wall of Fame
2014-15 GDT Registrations

#2 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,645 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

You realise that Jamison hasn't proven he's got enough money or investors yet....
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#3 Strombone1

Strombone1

GDT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

You realise that Jamison hasn't proven he's got enough money or investors yet....

He has till the end of Jan but he wouldn't pursue it so much if he didn't have the backers.

Commissioner of 2014-2015 Shapheat Fantasy Hockey League

Player of the Game - Wall of Fame
2014-15 GDT Registrations

#4 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,899 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

Did anyone else think that this saga had died off just before the CBA expired?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#5 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,556 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:11 AM

I was cheering for them to go to Quebec?

#6 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,331 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

I thought there would be comments or something from Doan considering the title. Nothing has paid off for him yet, not until Jamieson gets the cash in.

schroedersig2_by_elvis15-d5szksn.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#7 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,523 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

Jamison still hasn't bought the team, so it's not over yet.

#8 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

Wouldn't it be interesting if the NHL decided to loan him the money he's short to buy the team just to wash their hands of it? It'd probably be cheaper than the money they've been sinking into the team for the past couple of years.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#9 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,630 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

Dear lord. Their city is run by idiots. Just let the team die and relocate to a better city.

#10 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

Wish I could roll the dice and end up getting over $21M to be semi-retired. ::D
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#11 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,049 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

Wish I could roll the dice and end up getting over $21M to be semi-retired. ::D

I cannot remember how big a bonus Doaner got for signing under the old CBA. It makes no dif to him with the lockout stretching into next season. IMHO good for him. I still think the Yotes end up in Seattle as soon as their arena is built. There will be an exit clause.

#12 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

Best thing to have happened to the Canucks organisation since the SCF run is that Doan didn't sign with them. MG is lucky Doan signed with PHX err Glendale Coyotes. Otherwise he'd be stuck with a terrible contract for years to come.

#13 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

I cannot remember how big a bonus Doaner got for signing under the old CBA. It makes no dif to him with the lockout stretching into next season. IMHO good for him. I still think the Yotes end up in Seattle as soon as their arena is built. There will be an exit clause.

$2 million bonus out of Doan's $6 mill salary this year.

I don't think the Yotes will be going anywhere for a long long time now. The city has agreed to give them $320 million over the next 20 years.

I'd love to see a team in Seattle though.

#14 Gunner Garrison

Gunner Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

now watch them win the lottery and win the cup within 3 years

#15 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,645 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

now watch them win the lottery and win the cup within 3 years

Or win the cup just as they move to another city like Seattle? Just like Colorado?
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#16 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,049 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:37 AM

$2 million bonus out of Doan's $6 mill salary this year.

I don't think the Yotes will be going anywhere for a long long time now. The city has agreed to give them $320 million over the next 20 years.

I'd love to see a team in Seattle though.

As much as I wanted Doan to sign with Van I agree that with this lockout and the loss of the season his contract would have made much less sense. It was a lot of money and required a serious run by Van this year.

The Council's agreement could be overturned in January so I have little faith that this deal is solid. Jamieson still doesn't have his money lined up. They would be fools not to have an 'out' clause which would allow them to leave if their losses continue. I suggested the Yotes might move to Seattle but would not be surprised if the NHL expanded by two teams and they went to Seattle and Toronto. I say this simply because the expansion fees for those two locations would be north of $250 mil each. Another TO franchise would be worth $500 mil. As much as we would like another NHL team close to Van it also works in reverse. A Seattle franchise with benefit big time with Van being so close. If it were to happen it pretty much guarantees Van moving to the Pacific division which would be a plus as well.

#17 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,645 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

So once again the league quietly moves on to the next schmuck to pretends to want to buy the team.
Please someone make it stop? Just move the team to Seattle or somewhere, or let the ownership group for Seattle to buy the team.
It's like a terminal patient on life support.

Pastor to lead investor group seeking to purchase Coyotes
TSN.ca

It appears Darin Pastor, founder and CEO of Capstone Affluent Strategies, is leading a group of investors that are interested in purchasing the Phoenix Coyotes.

"Hockey is in my DNA,” said Pastor. “My family has enjoyed a love affair with the sport for over three generations. When we saw the prospect to get involved with the NHL and purchase the Coyotes, it was like a dream come true.”

If approved by the league's Board of Governors, Pastor's group would have controlling interest of the team and seek to keep the franchise in Glendale.

"If we have an opportunity to acquire the franchise, we will do everything we can to make sure it stays in the great city of Glendale and continues to enhance the Phoenix metropolitan area," said Pastor, who works out of Irvine, California, but is a native of Buffalo, New York.

On Wednesday, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman told Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers that a new group of investors were interested in the Coyotes, but at the time Bettman did not divulge the identity of the group.

Bettman contacted Weiers a day after the Glendale City Council commissioned Beacon Sports Capital Partners of Needham, Massachusetts to take over the search for a management company to run the arena, as well as to handle the negotiations between the city of Glendale and prospective Coyotes owners.

Pastor's group represents the first potential buyer the Coyotes franchise has had since Greg Jamison failed to meet a deadline in January.

“We've been telling people now for two months to basically put something on the table and no one has done that. And we're in the position where we can't wait any longer,” Weiers said Tuesday after the council approved the Beacon deal.

The Coyotes have been run by the NHL for the past three seasons, since the team went into bankruptcy in 2009 under former owner Jerry Moyes.

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 29 March 2013 - 11:02 AM.

GO CANUCKS GO!

Posted Image

#18 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,049 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

Like every other group that has straggled in wait until they see the books. If this franchise doesn't go to Seattle then Seattle gets an expansion team within 2 years. With all the big money involved with the Hanson group there is no way the NHL doesn't bend over backwards to get then involved in a franchise.

#19 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

NHL need to move phx where a profit can be made...........stop putting team in cities no one cares about.......until Bettman is gone we won't see southeast teams go to a new and real hockey market

Edited by canuck_trevor16, 29 March 2013 - 11:20 AM.

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#20 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,282 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

Like every other group that has straggled in wait until they see the books. If this franchise doesn't go to Seattle then Seattle gets an expansion team within 2 years. With all the big money involved with the Hanson group there is no way the NHL doesn't bend over backwards to get then involved in a franchise.

Let's hope so. An obvious rivalry with the Canucks should form and we'd be able to make some awesome road trips down the I-5
Posted Image

#21 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

I don't get this at all, or follow it... I don't understand why they don't just move the team to a different city? There seems to always be an issue with the team and owners etc.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#22 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

I don't get this at all, or follow it... I don't understand why they don't just move the team to a different city? There seems to always be an issue with the team and owners etc.

Because Bettman & Co. would have to admit they were wrong.

Seattle gets NHL team in the next three years or I'm a monkey's uncle.

no duh.

You win the internet, EOM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.