Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

Maple Leafs worth $1 billion

The Associated Press – 2 hours 35 minutes ago

http://sports.yahoo....11694--nhl.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Toronto Maple Leafs are the first NHL team worth $1 billion, according to Forbes magazine.

The Leafs, who have not won a Stanley Cup since 1967, are worth $250 million more than the next most valuable franchise, the New York Rangers. The Montreal Canadiens are worth $575 million.
Least valuable of the 30 teams are the St. Louis Blues at $130 million and the Phoenix Coyotes at $134 million.

The Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings are worth $276 million, 10th overall.

Forbes says the NHL's total revenues were $3.4 billion for the 2011-12 season. Fueled by that 9 percent increase, the average NHL team is worth $282 million, 18 percent more than a year ago.

With the players locked out by owners, the NHL already has canceled 422 regular-season games. Forbes reports that 13 teams lost money last season.

The Leafs, Rangers (last Stanley Cup in 1994) and Canadiens (last title in 1993) account for 83 percent of the league's income, with Toronto the most profitable franchise at $81.9 million, followed by the Rangers at $74 million and Montreal at $51.6 million.

The Winnipeg Jets, in their first season after moving from Atlanta, increased in value by $30 million to $200 million.
---
Online: www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations

#2 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

Gee, Bettman, look at that. The Jets made MORE money than the Thrashers could have ever hoped to do. I think you know what to do with the Coyotes. .. Or maybe not.
Posted Image

#3 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

People in TO continue to throw away more and more money cheering a losing team :lol:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#4 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

Further proof that sports teams don't need to make money in order for the owners to profit.

Edit.

can't believe the Blues are worth less than the Coyote's

Edited by hudson bay rules, 28 November 2012 - 03:18 PM.

I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#5 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

My hate for the Leafs has diminished over the years. I get they are a huge fanbase and that everyone and their dog watches them in Ontario. But really, $1 billion? I understand why the Yankees are worth so much, they have consistantly won championships.

I really do not understand why the Leafs fanbase continue to pump money into a losing franchise after 45 consistent years of nothingness.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#6 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

My hate for the Leafs comes from CBC shoving mediocre hockey down our throats for decades when they could have shown better hockey if it wasn't for the centre of the universe chiming in.

#7 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

My hate for the Leafs comes from CBC shoving mediocre hockey down our throats for decades when they could have shown better hockey if it wasn't for the centre of the universe chiming in.

Posted Image
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#8 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

From tweets @ TSN:

Pierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Quote from MLSE COO and prez Tom Anselmi on Forbes story listing Leafs as first billion-dollar hockey team: ``I'm intrigued by the ...''cont

``... evaluation and the recent MLSE acquisition clearly demonstrates the growing importance of all of our franchises to our fans...'' con't

``... but I have no idea of how they came up with that number. '' end quote
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#9 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

How the heck did the Blues drop 17% in value, below the Coyotes, after that brilliant season?

#10 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,160 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

What was the worst was prior to expansion there was no late game! Being a Habs fan was brutal when you knew the Laffers would be shown rather than the Flyin French Men! :(

#11 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

Last November they were worht about half that...how did they double in value in one year? especially with a lockout?

#12 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

The Laffs make more money in a lockout because they can't lose as much I guess.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#13 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

What was the worst was prior to expansion there was no late game! Being a Habs fan was brutal when you knew the Laffers would be shown rather than the Flyin French Men! :(

Missed a hell of a lot of Boston/Montreal games in favour of Toronto/St Louis etc.

#14 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

Last November they were worht about half that...how did they double in value in one year? especially with a lockout?

Bell and Rogers purchased 75% of MLSE for $2.05B after November, which puts the combined worth of MLSE somewhere in the $2.75B range.

I'd say that the Maple Leafs are worth over 1/3 of MLSE (Leafs, Marlies, Raptors, and Toronto FC), wouldn't you?

#15 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

Prior to expansion? More like prior to the mid-90s.
It sucked in the 80s watching Ballard's Tor vs SNorris foe instead of Oilers/Flames/Canucks :rolleyes:
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#16 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,262 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

Hmmm...must have been different than where I lived. (Prince George) We were always able to watch the Habs on the CBC French affilliate (CBUFT or something like that) Et le but!
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#17 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

worth a billion dollars play like 10 bucks.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#18 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

Gee, Bettman, look at that. The Jets made MORE money than the Thrashers could have ever hoped to do. I think you know what to do with the Coyotes. .. Or maybe not.

The city of PHX has poured in millions of $$$ per year to keep the team, I don't recall Winnipeg or Quebec doing that before they moved.

#19 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

The city of PHX has poured in millions of $$$ per year to keep the team, I don't recall Winnipeg or Quebec doing that before they moved.

Well, it's Glendale, not Phoenix, just to clarify, but yes, them pouring $324M over 20 years is definitely helping their cause.

However, if you live in Glendale, you have to be abhorred by this decision.

According to the US Census Bureau, Glendale has the following demographics:

Population: 226,721
Adult Population: 163,239
Adult Population above poverty line: 136,141

Now, if you're looking at funding a $324M expenditure with a tax base of 163,239 residents, that works out to $1985 per person ($99 per year) assuming stagnant population and discounting external revenue. If you factor in external tax revenue, maybe that may drop to $90 per person per year, but that's still an outrageous amount, especially given the lack of residents actually interested in their hockey team.

Edited by n00bxQb, 28 November 2012 - 06:56 PM.

#20 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

I gotta say for some one with 4200+ posts you are completely uneducated on even the simplest details of NHL. You ask questions my 5 year old nephew would ask. Honestly you should spend some time reading some posts on CDC.

This is not the first time you've asked such simple question. Unless you are 10 years old or younger there is no excuse for you not to know the answer to your own question. Particularly because you have 4200+ posts on here.

Just as immature and as uncalled for as your original post. In all honesty I feel sorry for your kid, must be rough having a father still stuck in a highschool mindset. I'm 23 with 2 degrees and I'm currently doing a masters at SFU, I'll let my professors judge my intelligence, in the mean time don't be judging someone with 1/3rd of your posts when clearly you're on a lot more than myself.

Father?? Child?? Who the frack gave you a degree? You can't even comprehend a sentence.

There is no freaking way in hell you have post secondary education. No freaking way.

1500+ posts on CDC and you think Schneider will need to "defect" to come back to NHL?? C'mon man.

BTW, citizens of PHX have been paying millions of dollars per year to keep the team in their city. The city council just voted to pay the Coyoutes $320 million dollars to stay in the city..

#21 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

Father?? Child?? Who the frack gave you a degree? You can't even comprehend a sentence.

There is no freaking way in hell you have post secondary education. No freaking way.

1500+ posts on CDC and you think Schneider will need to "defect" to come back to NHL?? C'mon man.

BTW, citizens of PHX have been paying millions of dollars per year to keep the team in their city. The city council just voted to pay the Coyoutes $320 million dollars to stay in the city..

Brilliant... lmao. I mean what I said regardless if it's your nephew or your kid. It was uncalled for and frankly I've seen you post worse not 4 posts above this one. You seem to be looking for some kind of e-fight, I'm not planning to engage. Enjoy the bubble you live in wherein you can insult others and somehow feel superior. Judging by your need to make something out of nothing I will take a guess that you had a bad day and are using CDC to vent. Poor baby, I pity your insecurities.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#22 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

Well, it's Glendale, not Phoenix, just to clarify, but yes, them pouring $324M over 20 years is definitely helping their cause.

However, if you live in Glendale, you have to be abhorred by this decision.

According to the US Census Bureau, Glendale has the following demographics:

Population: 226,721
Adult Population: 163,239
Adult Population above poverty line: 136,141

Now, if you're looking at funding a $324M expenditure with a tax base of 163,239 residents, that works out to $1985 per person ($99 per year) assuming stagnant population and discounting external revenue. If you factor in external tax revenue, maybe that may drop to $90 per person per year, but that's still an outrageous amount, especially given the lack of residents actually interested in their hockey team.

OK, if it makes you feel better I'll call them Glendale Coyotes. Glendale citizens have been paying and will continue to pay millions of $$$ per year to keep the Glendale Coyotes in their city.. I don't recall the city of Winnipeg or Quebec doing the same to keep their teams before they moved south.

Not really into debating whether its worth it or not for the taxpayers to do this. Not my choice. It's up to the ppl of Glendale to decide what's best for them.

#23 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

Can't believe the Coyotes are worth more than the Blues, if I was an owner and had the money I would choose to purchase Blues over the Coyotes 10 out of 10 times.

zackass.png

#24 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

Brilliant... lmao. I mean what I said regardless if it's your nephew or your kid. It was uncalled for and frankly I've seen you post worse not 4 posts above this one. You seem to be looking for some kind of e-fight, I'm not planning to engage. Enjoy the bubble you live in wherein you can insult others and somehow feel superior. Judging by your need to make something out of nothing I will take a guess that you had a bad day and are using CDC to vent. Poor baby, I pity your insecurities.

Brilliant... you caught a spelling error. Didn't realize misspelling Coyotes could make someone "lmao". Lets forget the small stuff. Lets talk about my terrible post.

You quoted my post re Coyotes fan base (citizens) paying millions per year to keep the team in their city. What was so ridiculous about this post?? Are you claiming what I posted is not true??

Edited by WHL rocks, 28 November 2012 - 07:32 PM.

#25 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

Can't believe the Coyotes are worth more than the Blues, if I was an owner and had the money I would choose to purchase Blues over the Coyotes 10 out of 10 times.

Why?

#26 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

Why?

Blues have a much stronger fan base, have had much better attendence, over 8 thousand more on average. And that's with the average ticket price being 7$ higher.

Then team wise, I believe Pietrangelo and Backes in particular are more marketable (atleast in that market) than any player in the Coyotes market, aside from maybe Doan.

But it's more so the fan base, just to get into the just of it.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 28 November 2012 - 07:32 PM.

zackass.png

#27 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

Both are money pits with the current CBA.

I think most owners feel the same way as you, which is why the Blues were sold and the Coyotes have been up for sale for over 2 years and are still without a buyer (although, with the deal approved by Glendale, I would imagine Jamison could get the loans/investors he needs to buy the team now).

I bet other franchises are lower, but given these ones were/are active in the market, it's easier to put a value on them. Teams like the Canucks, for example, it's more of an estimate. We would never know the real value until the team went up for sale.

#28 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,328 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#29 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

Both are money pits with the current CBA.

I think most owners feel the same way as you, which is why the Blues were sold and the Coyotes have been up for sale for over 2 years and are still without a buyer (although, with the deal approved by Glendale, I would imagine Jamison could get the loans/investors he needs to buy the team now).

I bet other franchises are lower, but given these ones were/are active in the market, it's easier to put a value on them. Teams like the Canucks, for example, it's more of an estimate. We would never know the real value until the team went up for sale.

Ya I agree. You make good points.

And on the Yotes I personally wish they would just move, I don't know how long the City of Glendale has to keep throwing money away to realize Hockey won't work there. For there sake I hope Jameison gets the financing and they are able to turn it around but if not (which is unlikely I know) they should just leave and go make money in Seattle or somewhere in Canada rather than continue to throw money into a bottomless pit like they are in Phoenix.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 28 November 2012 - 07:44 PM.

zackass.png

#30 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

Blues have a much stronger fan base, have had much better attendence, over 8 thousand more on average. And that's with the average ticket price being 7$ higher.

Then team wise, I believe Pietrangelo and Backes in particular are more marketable (atleast in that market) than any player in the Coyotes market, aside from maybe Doan.

But it's more so the fan base, just to get into the just of it.

Team wise I agree, I would definitely rather be owner of Blues over the Coyotes. Business wise I'm not sure I'd want to own either team. Both are losing a ton of money. The Blues can't even afford to pay mgmt, John Davidson.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.