The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Maple Leafs worth $1 billion

dudeone

Maple Leafs worth $1 billion

The Associated Press – 2 hours 35 minutes ago

http://sports.yahoo....11694--nhl.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Toronto Maple Leafs are the first NHL team worth $1 billion, according to Forbes magazine.

The Leafs, who have not won a Stanley Cup since 1967, are worth $250 million more than the next most valuable franchise, the New York Rangers. The Montreal Canadiens are worth $575 million.

Least valuable of the 30 teams are the St. Louis Blues at $130 million and the Phoenix Coyotes at $134 million.

The Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings are worth $276 million, 10th overall.

Forbes says the NHL's total revenues were $3.4 billion for the 2011-12 season. Fueled by that 9 percent increase, the average NHL team is worth $282 million, 18 percent more than a year ago.

With the players locked out by owners, the NHL already has canceled 422 regular-season games. Forbes reports that 13 teams lost money last season.

The Leafs, Rangers (last Stanley Cup in 1994) and Canadiens (last title in 1993) account for 83 percent of the league's income, with Toronto the most profitable franchise at $81.9 million, followed by the Rangers at $74 million and Montreal at $51.6 million.

The Winnipeg Jets, in their first season after moving from Atlanta, increased in value by $30 million to $200 million.

---

Online: www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations

My hate for the Leafs has diminished over the years. I get they are a huge fanbase and that everyone and their dog watches them in Ontario. But really, $1 billion? I understand why the Yankees are worth so much, they have consistantly won championships.

I really do not understand why the Leafs fanbase continue to pump money into a losing franchise after 45 consistent years of nothingness.

From tweets @ TSN:

Pierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Quote from MLSE COO and prez Tom Anselmi on Forbes story listing Leafs as first billion-dollar hockey team: ``I'm intrigued by the ...''cont

``... evaluation and the recent MLSE acquisition clearly demonstrates the growing importance of all of our franchises to our fans...'' con't

``... but I have no idea of how they came up with that number. '' end quote

I gotta say for some one with 4200+ posts you are completely uneducated on even the simplest details of NHL. You ask questions my 5 year old nephew would ask. Honestly you should spend some time reading some posts on CDC.

This is not the first time you've asked such simple question. Unless you are 10 years old or younger there is no excuse for you not to know the answer to your own question. Particularly because you have 4200+ posts on here.

Just as immature and as uncalled for as your original post. In all honesty I feel sorry for your kid, must be rough having a father still stuck in a highschool mindset. I'm 23 with 2 degrees and I'm currently doing a masters at SFU, I'll let my professors judge my intelligence, in the mean time don't be judging someone with 1/3rd of your posts when clearly you're on a lot more than myself.

Archived