• Gate Receipts6: $73 M
  • Wins-to-player cost ratio7: 101
  • Revenue per Fan8: $55
  • Metro Area Population: 2.4 M

Forbes Lists

#7 NHL Team Valuations

Numbers

Valuation Breakdown Sport9 $42 M Market10 $147 M Stadium11 $107 M Brand12 $48 M

The Canucks had a drop in revenue during 2011-12 as the team played 8 fewer playoff games at Rogers arena than they hosted in 2011 when they went to the Stanley Cup finals. But the team remains one of the most financially sound NHL franchises. A passionate fan base and sky-high tickets allows the Canucks to generate $70 million annually in gate receipts--fourth highest in the NHL.

Prior to the lockout,

the Canucks, who sold out every game last season, were reporting a 97% renewal rate for season tickets, the same number the team had for the 2010-11 season.

Edited by dudeone, 28 November 2012 - 03:18 PM.

#2 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,084 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

Ok.

Lower ticket prices!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#3 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

I find the gate receipts v the players salary to be rather interesting.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#4 mpt

mpt

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,449 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

While I hate how pricey our tickets are, I don't blame them. If I was a business owner is sell them for what the market can afford. People are willing to pay this amount so you gotta keep it there.

#5 Forsy

Forsy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

70% purchase price ROI over the last 7 years.
If the purchase was 75% financed, he'll have made 280% ROI over the last 7 years, nice :)

#6 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

Aquilini fought pretty hard to not disclose the financials of the Canucks during his divorce proceedings. Many thought that it was because (a) no one likes to disclose confidential corporate documents unless they have to and (B) Aquilini wants to keep the value of the Canucks "undervalued", as to avoid giving up more assets to his ex-wife and to avoid paying more taxes. So... yeah. this valuation based on what the team has released shouldn't be too accurate.

#7 Fudd

Fudd

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

Interesting how Chicago and Boston are both ahead of us.

#8 Kooner91

Kooner91

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

The laffs are worth a billion? :o
Posted Image
Markus Naslund- Forever A Canuck

#9 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

St. Louis is last? Did not see that coming.
Posted Image
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 for the signature.

#10 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,600 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

While I hate how pricey our tickets are, I don't blame them. If I was a business owner is sell them for what the market can afford. People are willing to pay this amount so you gotta keep it there.

Considering how long the season ticket wait list is, it's a wonder why they don't raise prices further.
Posted Image

#11 Caboose

Caboose

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,738 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

How is this a surprise?

Jq9Htab.jpg

#12 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

Just a couple bucks. I honestly didn't see St Louis being last though.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#13 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

Really it shouldn't be too surprising, they're both original Six so their markets and brands are very valuable. Consider also that in metropolitan population, Boston is twice as big as Vancouver and Chicago four times as big, so owning the respective markets are pretty key for those two. When you look at the pretty minor difference, it's clear that the Canucks make up for most of those advantages with the more reliable and concentrated interest in the Vancouver fanbase.

What I think is pretty interesting is that the original 6 are ranked 1-6, and the Canucks at 7 are the highest valued non-original 6 team. It's also clear from the numbers that among the top teams, you could break them up into different echelons: the Leafs, Rangers and Habs are all worth 1/2 billion+, then 4-8 are quite tightly bunched (#8=Philly), and then there's a big dropoff to the next tier of markets, like Pittsburgh, LA, Washington and Calgary.

Edited by Gretzky's Mullet, 28 November 2012 - 06:18 PM.

Posted Image

LUC BOURDON: FEB 16TH, 1987 - MAY 29TH, 2008

#14 Geoff Peterson

Geoff Peterson

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

With Bettman in charge of the NHL... we have little hope.

Gary Bettman can provide neither the vision nor leadership to fix the NHL

BY ED WILLES, THE PROVINCE

Gary Bettman is everything Canadian hockey fans revile.

He is not a hockey guy but he is the worst kind of empty suit: a corporate lawyer from New York. In two decades on the job, he has yet to demonstrate a passion or love for this game which is so deeply embedded in our national psyche. And, when you come right down to it, there’s something inherently unlikable about the little man.

Oh, yes. One other thing. Under Bettman’s watch, the NHL is currently enduring its third major work stoppage of the last 18 years.

Short of putting a Darth Vader helmet on him, you couldn’t cast a better villain for this piece. But, while it’s kind of fun to make Bettman the target of all our derision and scorn — OK, it’s a lot of fun — it misses the point.

The issue, and prepare to be pummelled with the obvious here, concerns the divide that exists between the NHL’s wealthiest teams and its poorest.

http://www.theprovin...624230/story.ht

#15 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

Good to know we have passionate fans.
Posted Image

#16 bure10fan

bure10fan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:55 AM

we gotta fix that goose egg beside championships won

#17 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

Still the most valuable team to me! ;)

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#18 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

and the leafs are worth a Bill..who cares.
Posted Image

#19 freebuddy

freebuddy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

I think a lot of that has to do with Brian Burke. If we still had him, I think the Canucks would be worth twice as much as they are now. Maybe when his contract is done with the Leafs, we can get him back.

#20 Grape

Grape

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

I think a lot of that has to do with Brian Burke. If we still had him, I think the Canucks would be worth twice as much as they are now. Maybe when his contract is done with the Leafs, we can get him back.

Have you seen how he screwed up the leafs?

mj761l.jpg0007.gif0007.gif0007.gif0007.gif  

Signature Credit to Vintage Canuck!

Don't Click!

#21 Gretzky's Mullet

Gretzky's Mullet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

It's got nothing to do with Burke. They're an original 6 team with a timeless brand, they've gotten their fans to swallow an outrageous ticket price point, they're in the country's largest media market and have a dedicated TV channel (and are owned by media companies, meaning a lot of exclusive content arrangements, etc). They have territorial priority over the world's largest concentration of hockey fans. And they've been able to maintain fan interest, passion, attendance and TV viewership across a generation of mediocrity, meaning that from a business angle, the customer base is predictable and reliable. Brian Burke has no bearing on any of that.
Posted Image

LUC BOURDON: FEB 16TH, 1987 - MAY 29TH, 2008

#22 Canucklehead420

Canucklehead420

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

no spank you

#23 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

not really seeing as how they're both original 6 teams

#24 freebuddy

freebuddy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

<p>

Have you seen how he screwed up the leafs?

The Leafs have been screwed up for decades, nothing new there. What I did see was Canuck's ownership prematurely end Burke's reign by letting him go. So what happened? He went to Anaheim and won them a Cup instead. Gillis has done a decent job making us a contender, but we need Burke back to bring us at least one if not many Cups.

#25 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,811 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

<p>The Leafs have been screwed up for decades, nothing new there. What I did see was Canuck's ownership prematurely end Burke's reign by letting him go. So what happened? He went to Anaheim and won them a Cup instead. Gillis has done a decent job making us a contender, but we need Burke back to bring us at least one if not many Cups.

This again? He left Vancouver pretty much with NOTHING in terms of prospects. Something that two GM's have tried to fix.
He went to Anaheim a team with lots of picks and prospects. About the only thing he did is take advantage of the situation with Pronger. (A deal that had Edmonton pretty much over a barrel.) He signed Niedermayer, I give him that. But the team was almost built prior to him getting there. If you notice they won one cup, and the team went downhill with trade after trade and now Anaheim, much like Vancouver does not have much in the terms of prospects, and now needs to rebuild.

So tell me again, what's he done in Toronto and Vancouver? He never got past the 2nd round in Vancouver. He hasn't even made the playoffs in Toronto after 4 years. In fact in Toronto he made the stupidest trade possibly top 5 in history, by getting Phil Kessel.
Seguin in his second season got only 15 points less than Kessel, and they still have Dougie Hamilton waiting in the wings.
Dougie Hamilton by the way has 39 points in 30 games for Niagara in the OHL so far this year. AND HE'S A D-MAN!
So outside of Justin Schultz he's one of the best D-man prospects out there.

I never want Burke near our club again. And you can argue Toronto makes oodles of money, despite how bad the team is on the ice, or whatever bonehead moves Burke makes. I just hope he has one further bonehead move in trading for Luongo we get a 1st round pick back. ;)

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 04 December 2012 - 09:05 PM.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#26 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

The issue, and prepare to be pummelled with the obvious here, concerns the divide that exists between the NHL’s wealthiest teams and its poorest.

http://www.theprovin...624230/story.ht

Exactly,so let's make the players and fans pay for what is a league problem for placing teams in non-traditional hockey markets for Bettman's NBA tv deal dream.

Get rid of Bettman and these teams that lay hostage to NHL hockey.

#27 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

Aquilini family = very happy people

#28 freebuddy

freebuddy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

This again? He left Vancouver pretty much with NOTHING in terms of prospects. Something that two GM's have tried to fix.
He went to Anaheim a team with lots of picks and prospects. About the only thing he did is take advantage of the situation with Pronger. (A deal that had Edmonton pretty much over a barrel.) He signed Niedermayer, I give him that. But the team was almost built prior to him getting there. If you notice they won one cup, and the team went downhill with trade after trade and now Anaheim, much like Vancouver does not have much in the terms of prospects, and now needs to rebuild.

So tell me again, what's he done in Toronto and Vancouver? He never got past the 2nd round in Vancouver. He hasn't even made the playoffs in Toronto after 4 years. In fact in Toronto he made the stupidest trade possibly top 5 in history, by getting Phil Kessel.
Seguin in his second season got only 15 points less than Kessel, and they still have Dougie Hamilton waiting in the wings.
Dougie Hamilton by the way has 39 points in 30 games for Niagara in the OHL so far this year. AND HE'S A D-MAN!
So outside of Justin Schultz he's one of the best D-man prospects out there.

I never want Burke near our club again. And you can argue Toronto makes oodles of money, despite how bad the team is on the ice, or whatever bonehead moves Burke makes. I just hope he has one further bonehead move in trading for Luongo we get a 1st round pick back. ;)

You made the case for bringing Burke back. Gillis took up where Burke left off, made the team better, now it's time to bring him back to finish the job, Burke came into Anaheim, put the finishing touches on them, and BINGO, they win the cup! That's exactly what the Canucks need, someone who can put the finish on so we can get our cup!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.