The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks worth $342 Million, According to Forbes

dudeone

It's got nothing to do with Burke. They're an original 6 team with a timeless brand, they've gotten their fans to swallow an outrageous ticket price point, they're in the country's largest media market and have a dedicated TV channel (and are owned by media companies, meaning a lot of exclusive content arrangements, etc). They have territorial priority over the world's largest concentration of hockey fans. And they've been able to maintain fan interest, passion, attendance and TV viewership across a generation of mediocrity, meaning that from a business angle, the customer base is predictable and reliable. Brian Burke has no bearing on any of that.

<p>The Leafs have been screwed up for decades, nothing new there. What I did see was Canuck's ownership prematurely end Burke's reign by letting him go. So what happened? He went to Anaheim and won them a Cup instead. Gillis has done a decent job making us a contender, but we need Burke back to bring us at least one if not many Cups.

This again? He left Vancouver pretty much with NOTHING in terms of prospects. Something that two GM's have tried to fix.

He went to Anaheim a team with lots of picks and prospects. About the only thing he did is take advantage of the situation with Pronger. (A deal that had Edmonton pretty much over a barrel.) He signed Niedermayer, I give him that. But the team was almost built prior to him getting there. If you notice they won one cup, and the team went downhill with trade after trade and now Anaheim, much like Vancouver does not have much in the terms of prospects, and now needs to rebuild.

So tell me again, what's he done in Toronto and Vancouver? He never got past the 2nd round in Vancouver. He hasn't even made the playoffs in Toronto after 4 years. In fact in Toronto he made the stupidest trade possibly top 5 in history, by getting Phil Kessel.

Seguin in his second season got only 15 points less than Kessel, and they still have Dougie Hamilton waiting in the wings.

Dougie Hamilton by the way has 39 points in 30 games for Niagara in the OHL so far this year. AND HE'S A D-MAN!

So outside of Justin Schultz he's one of the best D-man prospects out there.

I never want Burke near our club again. And you can argue Toronto makes oodles of money, despite how bad the team is on the ice, or whatever bonehead moves Burke makes. I just hope he has one further bonehead move in trading for Luongo we get a 1st round pick back. ;)

Archived