Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Jensen to stay in Sweden, even if the lockout ends

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

http://www.hockeysve...f-behlla-jensen

It's an article in Swedish saying that Jensen will stay in AIK even if the lockout ends. They quote Gillis saying "We've already got a few extra forwards" and "he's doing really well over there, he's the team's best goal scorer and he's only 19."

If you guys want I can translate the whole article and post it but I don't feel like it now :)

#2 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

No surprise, he was a longshot to make the team anyways.

Jagermeister.jpg

#3 Great Save Luongo!!!

Great Save Luongo!!!

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

It's for the best. Gives him more time to develop. He would have hard time cracking the line up over here anyway.
Posted Image

#4 CHodgson9

CHodgson9

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

Great for his development. Now he can focus on one league and trying to dominate night in, night out. He's going to be great for us, no need to rush him.
"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Mahatma Ghandi

#5 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

Good for him! It will be good for his development
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#6 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,210 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

I'd rather see him get accustomed to the North American style of hockey than the European one. He needs to hit more and use his size, which is what he'd be doing in the NHL or AHL as opposed to in Sweden which is far more skill and skating-based.

If he can hone his offensive skills this year in Sweden, then play a few games in the AHL next year to get used to the smaller ice surface and tighter checking then his development will be perfect for the NHL.
Posted Image

#7 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

"
AIK can keep Jensen

"He's doing well there"

The idea is that he will leave the AIK and return to Vancouver on the NHL lockout ends. But now the Canucks thought about. The AIK's joy seeing the internal goals and points king Nicklas Jensen like being there all season.
- As it stands right now, we already have some extra forwards, says Vancouver Canucks general manager Mike Gillis.

Nicklas Jensen has been one of the big exclamation marks in the premier league so far. AIK's only 19-year-old Dane shares with his eight goal second place in the elite series cocky with Skellefteå Oscar Lindberg . He also tops the AIK's internal Scoring leaders with eleven points in 15 games. Jensen is on loan to AIK of the NHL club Vancouver Canucks, who drafted him as the 29th player 2011th The original idea was that the youth would participate in the Vancouver Canucks training camp and try to take a sweater there before he went to Stockholm to play in premier league. NHL lockout did not allow it, but it has always been the Canucks set to Jensen to come to Canada as soon as the NHL season gets under way. Leaning fact that he can stay Dane's success in AIK has been general manager Mike Gillis to think in new paths. The club has not taken a final decision, but in the current situation are inclined to Nicklas Jensen allowed to stay in Sweden. - He's doing very well there. He is the team's top scorer and he is only 19 years old. He gets better and better every week, says Gillis of the Vancouver Sun.- As our team looks right now, we already have some extra forwards. He is doing extremely well over there, and to get him here on a short training camp, he must fly 18 hours and it will still be tough for him to take place in the team. Nicklas Jensen has played for the Oshawa Generals in the junior league OHL two recent seasons. He also tested the games in the AHL with Vancouver's feeder Chicago Wolves at the end of last season. Because he is draftad from OHL, he can not play AHL hockey until he is 20 years old.Therefore, he chose to come to Sweden and play elitseriehockey."

Google translate of the article.

Posted Image

#8 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

Yeah I didn't think he'd make the team anyways, it's probably a good thing for him staying over there. Hope he does well the rest of the season.

R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
rsz_sam_reinhart.jpg

medium.pngColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#9 Alchemy Time

Alchemy Time

State Alchemist

• Members
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

"
    AIK can keep Jensen

"He's doing well there"

The idea is that he will leave the AIK and return to Vancouver on the NHL lockout ends. But now the Canucks thought about. The AIK's joy seeing the internal goals and points king Nicklas Jensen like being there all season.
- As it stands right now, we already have some extra forwards, says Vancouver Canucks general manager Mike Gillis.

Nicklas Jensen has been one of the big exclamation marks in the premier league so far. AIK's only 19-year-old Dane shares with his eight goal second place in the elite series cocky with Skellefteå Oscar Lindberg . He also tops the AIK's internal Scoring leaders with eleven points in 15 games. Jensen is on loan to AIK of the NHL club Vancouver Canucks, who drafted him as the 29th player 2011th The original idea was that the youth would participate in the Vancouver Canucks training camp and try to take a sweater there before he went to Stockholm to play in premier league. NHL lockout did not allow it, but it has always been the Canucks set to Jensen to come to Canada as soon as the NHL season gets under way. Leaning fact that he can stay Dane's success in AIK has been general manager Mike Gillis to think in new paths. The club has not taken a final decision, but in the current situation are inclined to Nicklas Jensen allowed to stay in Sweden. - He's doing very well there. He is the team's top scorer and he is only 19 years old. He gets better and better every week, says Gillis of the Vancouver Sun.- As our team looks right now, we already have some extra forwards. He is doing extremely well over there, and to get him here on a short training camp, he must fly 18 hours and it will still be tough for him to take place in the team. Nicklas Jensen has played for the Oshawa Generals in the junior league OHL two recent seasons. He also tested the games in the AHL with Vancouver's feeder Chicago Wolves at the end of last season. Because he is draftad from OHL, he can not play AHL hockey until he is 20 years old.Therefore, he chose to come to Sweden and play elitseriehockey."

Ah, Google translate. I remember when I used you, and I remember my C- in French.
Posted Image

#10 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,984 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:21 AM

I'd rather see him get accustomed to the North American style of hockey than the European one. He needs to hit more and use his size, which is what he'd be doing in the NHL or AHL as opposed to in Sweden which is far more skill and skating-based.

If he can hone his offensive skills this year in Sweden, then play a few games in the AHL next year to get used to the smaller ice surface and tighter checking then his development will be perfect for the NHL.

He's played two seasons in the OHL. Not to mention playing for the Wolves after his junior team was knocked out last spring. Which is to say he has North American experience.

The main reason to leave him in Sweden is he's too young to play for the Wolves. It's either the Canucks or back to junior. Next year he has the freedom to move between the Canucks and Wolves. So he's better off playing against men in Sweden and honing his skills than going back to junior and playing against kids.

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#11 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:20 AM

he wasn't going to make the team this year anyways. Might as well have to stay and get good results. the better results the more his confidence will grow and then he can develop that into th ahl.

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#12 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,806 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:32 AM

It makes you wonder what scouts specifically see between Jensen and Mattias Janmark-Nylen, if anything. About half a year older than Jensen but he's still only 19 while having more points in the same number of games. It's not like he's vertically challenged either which is obviously a reason why scouts tend to dismiss a player.
Posted Image

#13 DeltaSwede

DeltaSwede

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:17 AM

I think it is a perfect situation.

He is playing a lot of minutes in a really competitive league against men and doing really well. He is developing his offensive skills which he clearly has shown that he has leading his team in points. He could be averaging 1.5 points a game in the OHL, but what is the point? he has already been there, experienced it and moved on. I personally don't like the rule that players have to be 20 years old before they are eligible to play in the AHL but similar to what Swedish teams face with their players that have been drafted to the NHL, they end up spending time and money on players that just leave as soon as they are drafted. This is the best option in my view for a 19 year old that wouldn't make it out of camp and would waste a year playing against players he could dominate both physically and with skill.

the SEL is a league that has dropped in the rankings but I am hoping that the Canucks pursue this option for future picks as well.

MMjJiLv.gif

Shinckarukak

#14 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:22 AM

It makes you wonder what scouts specifically see between Jensen and Mattias Janmark-Nylen, if anything. About half a year older than Jensen but he's still only 19 while having more points in the same number of games. It's not like he's vertically challenged either which is obviously a reason why scouts tend to dismiss a player.

I had to google Janmark-Nylen but I see your point. Maybe we can snag him as an overager? Good height, good weight, I haven't seen him play but those numbers are difficult to pull off in an adult league. He's invisible in the playoffs it seems.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#15 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:54 AM

Good choice, next season he can play on the Wolves part time and the Canucks will give him a try out. His development will quicken, hope to see him on the Nucks asap. I got a good feeling about this kid! :)

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#16 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,202 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

well... he's still the leading goal scorer on his team.... not too shabby.

Well, I , I feel very good about this draft, but I, I think, potentially you know were gonna have 3 or 4 NHL players out of this group, ummmm, you know like we are not going to prejudice to were they are from.

-Jim Benning June 27, 2015 shortly after the completion of the 2015 NHL Entry draft in Miami Florida.

#17 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

He's still OHL elligble so therefore can't play in the AHL. Playing in Sweden gives him a chance to play against men at a more competive level then he would in the OHL. A year or two playing against men in Sweden before making the NHL on a very good team is not a bad thing, and if you don't think Swedish players play physical think again. Players like Foresberg, Douglas Murrary, Landeskog, Kronwall, Holmstron can all hit like a freight train.

Play Clash on Clans on your phone? Join the CDC Clan "happycanuck".

"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#18 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,959 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

Hardly a done deal, but based on the flight time and the forwards he'd be competing against in a shortened training camp they might decide to go that route. Earlier on, there was definitely more of a chance he'd still come over to at least participate in camp and have a shot at making the team.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#19 timmylu1

timmylu1

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

at least hes playing hockey

#20 Hunter.S-Kerouac

Hunter.S-Kerouac

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,131 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

I had to google as well seems to be a solid prospect possibly worth taking a chance on.

Edited by honey badger36, 01 December 2012 - 04:54 PM.

#21 sting

sting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

Just thought I would mention that the SEL ends on March 5 for non playoff teams like AIK. Jensen can join the Canucks or Wolves at this point and play nearly 20 games. Hardly a wait till next year scenario.

#22 70seven

70seven

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

I predict he'll be playing beside the twins for the 13/14 season.... and score 30+... :)

#23 iLLmAtlc

iLLmAtlc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

rift

:bigblush:
Posted Image

#24 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,644 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

I agree in a sense.

But since he could only play junior if he stayed in NA, it's nice that he can go over there and develop his skill and speed against better opposition.

Then next year he can come back over to the AHL or NHL and work on the physicality, and adjusting to the NA game.

zackass.png

#25 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,399 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

"
AIK can keep Jensen

"He's doing well there"

Why use Google Translate, when Grammar Police knows Swedish fluently? :P

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.