The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can the players build their own hockey league?

RAMBUTANS

Insurance, structure, contracts, who pays them, leadership within the league, there are so many variables that would make it impossible to do. Also players have NHL contracts and when the lockout is over they will have to go back to playing hockey in the NHL. Leaving already solid tickets of your imaginary league obsolete.

No, as stated ,even if they could operate a league,they would be making far less money

Not to mention the matter, that besides them being Players, they would now be owners and be fighting among themselves

I bet they would be fighting to keep the wages low, and begin to understand the owners responsibility and risk and long for the days, when they made boat loads of GUARANTEED money with no stress or worries

Those AHL and WHL arenas would also have lease deals with a team. Generally, leases like that have exclusivity clauses that prevent the landlord from renting to competing businesses.

Besides, with smaller arenas and an upstart league you would have to charge your customers far less money. Then the players wouldn't be making very much money at all. They would be better off playing in Europe.

I think a more realistic option is that the NHLPA does a mini-tournament/tour for the remainder of the season.

Think Bieksa's Buddies played in a few major markets once or twice a week. Charities get half the proceeds and the players get the other half (maybe even do something to spur competition like have the winning team's charity get more).

You can bet they would sell out; broadcasters would show the games; and people would get to see hockey.

Honestly I think even the threat of this would spur the owners to start negotiating. There is nothing that could be worse for them than seeing full arenas with cheering fans watching hockey. You would be in the 2nd arena in each city, but you can do pretty well at the Pacific Colosseum or even one of the smaller arenas.

I think a more realistic option is that the NHLPA does a mini-tournament/tour for the remainder of the season.

Think Bieksa's Buddies played in a few major markets once or twice a week. Charities get half the proceeds and the players get the other half (maybe even do something to spur competition like have the winning team's charity get more).

You can bet they would sell out; broadcasters would show the games; and people would get to see hockey.

Archived