The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Empty Opening Day Movement

RAMBUTANS

Unless you are a season ticket holder, boycotting the first game is a joke.

Its a very dishonest way to protest as well.

"Since I dont have tickets anyway for that game, I wont buy any"

Wow! you taught the Canucks a lesson :picard:

But hey, boycott the beer line up guys, so I don't have to stand in line as long.

Unless you are a season ticket holder, boycotting the first game is a joke.

Its a very dishonest way to protest as well.

"Since I dont have tickets anyway for that game, I wont buy any"

Wow! you taught the Canucks a lesson :picard:

But hey, boycott the beer line up guys, so I don't have to stand in line as long.

I guess we should all come back the NHL like the good little peons that we are. We shouldn't financially punish them at all for d*cking us around with two lockouts in the last 8 years. People like you are the NHL's dream customer. Just come back and keep paying no matter what they do to you. Money talks, if they make less and see that they damaged the game, perhaps they won't be so quick to lock out the Players again.

I won't spend another dime on a game this year, nor on any merchandise. I am sure I'm not alone.

So what you are saying, is you don't have tickets and won't buy any.

Meanwhile suggestion people like myself who have already paid for season tickets, often waiting years to get these tickets.

Well we should tear them up. Like I said, very dishonest protest.

Don't ask other to do, what you Cannot.

Like some one else posted.....lets all bike to work next week to save the environment. Meanwhile he has the week off

If I was in vancouver for the first game I'd go to it, if i could get tickets that is (which will be nearly impossible)

Why should WE suffer any longer by not watching the game we love, just because you feel like you want to take a moral high road that really doesn't exist?

An empty arena would be a powerful statement. But if the tickets are going to be bought anyway (and I think TheMinister's right about that being the only way to accomplish the set goal), I think an equally, if not even more, powerful image would be an arena full of silent, sedate people wearing black as if in mourning. No one wears a jersey. No one buys a single thing (no beer, no burgers, no merchandise). No one utters a single word or cheers the team at any time. They just sit in silence holding signs that say things like, "We've been waiting. Where were you?" or "I came back, but I left my wallet at home." or "Shame on the NHL for locking out fans!"

???

Are you saying that would be a powerful statement on the fact that the NHL treats fans like mindless sheep who will never hold them accountable and only reward them for continuing to take our support for granted? Or are you simply being sarcastic because you think people would be sheep for not just going back yet again without making the NHL feel our displeasure? If the latter, shouldn't your gratitude for those differing opinions extend to those who don't agree with yours?

LOL @ people cancelling their season tickets thinking it will send a message. You know our season ticket lineup has like 10,000 people waiting in line right? Those seats will be filled no matter what. This is Vancouver, we breathe Canucks hockey and this is the one thing that brings this city together. I cant wait to cheer my boys on again! GO CANUCKS GO!!!!

I'm saying that people would all have to think exactly alike in order for a thing like a game boycott to work, sheep mentality - not as an insult, but as a matter of factual description. If everyone had the exact same opinion, it would be a world that I wouldn't want to live in. But people aren't sheep, and they think for themselves, and I'm extremely happy for that.

So, in summary: I disagree with a boycott. I would defend to the death people's right to hold a boycott. I do not think that those who disagree with me are sheep. I am glad that everyone is not the same. I celebrate our diversity. Also, I love hockey.

So what you are saying, is you don't have tickets and won't buy any.

Meanwhile suggestion people like myself who have already paid for season tickets, often waiting years to get these tickets.

Well we should tear them up. Like I said, very dishonest protest.

Don't ask other to do, what you Cannot.

Like some one else posted.....lets all bike to work next week to save the environment. Meanwhile he has the week off

Your thinking is flawed. A group of people with a shared opinion acting in concert to express that opinion in the hopes of effecting positive change in future events is not in any way acting with a "sheep mentality." It is insulting and not at all factual as it implies their actions are without individual thought. It's too bad your celebration of differences in opinion only applies to singular individuals and no longer seems to apply if they seek out others who share their thought out opinion.

Here. I'll do it for you:

Me "I'm saying that people would all have to think exactly alike in order for a thing like a game boycott to work, sheep mentality"

But people aren't sheep. They have many differing opinions. Therefore, a game day boycott will not work.

And that doesn't mean people who get together for a common goal are sheep.

Besides, boycotts don't work. they hurt regular people, not millionaires.

• 2 weeks later...

if you really think that not going to a Canucks Game will in anyway affect the players or owners... then you are kidding yourself... there will be 2000 people willing to buy the ticket you didn't. And if you own Seasons and are just not going to the game then the only thing your are proving is that you are a fool and wasting your money.

Archived