The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Empty Opening Day Movement

RAMBUTANS

I've refused to go to any games since the last lockout and I don't plan on going to any within the next few years. Frankly unless I win tickets to a game I don't even plan on going to another game.

But this thread is a complete waste of time and effort.

I am not going to pay to see a game or buy merchandise ever again. After the last lockout I paid to go to only one or two games and received jerseys as gifts. I would rather get kick ass seats and watch wolves vs heat four times per year plus beer than watch one Canucks game in the nose bleeds with no beer.

The most effective way the fans can show their displeasure is by boy-cutting the NHL when it resumes. By not subscribing to NHL network, not buying their merchandise and tickets or not renewing season tickets. If you can decrease their revenue to the point where every NHL team is losing money, then they will get the point of how negative this lockout has been. Vote with your pocket not with petitions. There is no point in any petitions since it doesn't affect owners or players. You have to hit them where it hurts, their wallets.

The only way to ensure the building is empty is buy as as many tickets as possible and then not show up and/or convince season ticket holders to eat the cost of the entertainment to show their frustration and anger by not using their seats.

The fans will need to put their money where their mouth is to make a real statement.

An empty arena would be a powerful statement. But if the tickets are going to be bought anyway (and I think TheMinister's right about that being the only way to accomplish the set goal), I think an equally, if not even more, powerful image would be an arena full of silent, sedate people wearing black as if in mourning. No one wears a jersey. No one buys a single thing (no beer, no burgers, no merchandise). No one utters a single word or cheers the team at any time. They just sit in silence holding signs that say things like, "We've been waiting. Where were you?" or "I came back, but I left my wallet at home." or "Shame on the NHL for locking out fans!"

Yeah, it's a lovely idea but it's probably never going to happen. You can't even get that many Van fans to agree on who our starting goalie should be, no way are they ever going to all agree to do something to make a unified statement.

It's a shame, though. If they can have giant flash mobs doing dances and crap for no reason at all, it's sad that we can't get a lot of passionate hockey fans to make a collective statement.

Archived