93 replies to this topic

#31 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

As good of an idea this is, there is no way you can get everyone to stay out of the stands opening day.

I agree but we surely can break the sell out streak that day. Half empty arena I think is doable. Something that hasn't happened in a long time.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#32 German_Canucks_Supporter

German_Canucks_Supporter

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

As there are absolutely no organized fans in the NHL (as well as in all other pro-sports leagues in America), there is no way that this is going to work. The NHL-fan is merely a customer, and there's nobody who could fight that fact.

The Quest for Lord Stanley continues!

Posted Image

Proud fan of the Vancouver Canucks and the Nuremberg Ice Tigers.

#33 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

Don't matter to me i will be watching the first game hopefully for free online.
this would never work in places like Vancouver, Montreal, toronto, NY, Winnipeg, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Boston,

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

#34 VancouverCanucksRock

VancouverCanucksRock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

The most effective way the fans can show their displeasure is by boy-cutting the NHL when it resumes. By not subscribing to NHL network, not buying their merchandise and tickets or not renewing season tickets. If you can decrease their revenue to the point where every NHL team is losing money, then they will get the point of how negative this lockout has been. Vote with your pocket not with petitions. There is no point in any petitions since it doesn't affect owners or players. You have to hit them where it hurts, their wallets.

Is "boy-cutting" another term for circumcision?
Posted Image WHen idiots think numbers are words, I do believe in 2012 for cleansing Earth of the idiots

#35 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,505 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

The only way to ensure the building is empty is buy as as many tickets as possible and then not show up and/or convince season ticket holders to eat the cost of the entertainment to show their frustration and anger by not using their seats.

The fans will need to put their money where their mouth is to make a real statement.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#36 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,492 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

An empty arena would be a powerful statement. But if the tickets are going to be bought anyway (and I think TheMinister's right about that being the only way to accomplish the set goal), I think an equally, if not even more, powerful image would be an arena full of silent, sedate people wearing black as if in mourning. No one wears a jersey. No one buys a single thing (no beer, no burgers, no merchandise). No one utters a single word or cheers the team at any time. They just sit in silence holding signs that say things like, "We've been waiting. Where were you?" or "I came back, but I left my wallet at home." or "Shame on the NHL for locking out fans!"
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#37 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,505 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

I like that too.

Peer pressure would be the only force powerful enough to do anything.

Unfortunately, at RA we can't even get people to all wear team colours and pay attention to the game normally, at least in the lower bowl. I could see it get nasty.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#38 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,492 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

Yeah, it's a lovely idea but it's probably never going to happen. You can't even get that many Van fans to agree on who our starting goalie should be, no way are they ever going to all agree to do something to make a unified statement.

It's a shame, though. If they can have giant flash mobs doing dances and crap for no reason at all, it's sad that we can't get a lot of passionate hockey fans to make a collective statement.

Edited by poetica, 01 December 2012 - 03:13 PM.

Go, Canucks, Go!

#39 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,446 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

you will have better luck posting this on twitter and hoping it gains traction there rather than on the cdc.

#avoidgame1NHL
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#40 nowhereman

nowhereman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

I'll watch my hockey thank you very much. Besides.... it's not like the Canucks owe us anything.

They're in the entertainment business. The "service" they provide is not a necessity but we've still filled their bank accounts with our money. All we have to do is stop watching.

They owe us everything.
Posted Image

#41 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

since you will not be going can I have your tickets?? Oh wait, you don't have tickets?? I see.

#42 PowerIce

PowerIce

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

Awesome, 2 less people I'll have to fight over to get tickets

2013 CDC Poker, it's coming soon to a forum near you!

Posted Image

#43 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

They're in the entertainment business. The "service" they provide is not a necessity but we've still filled their bank accounts with our money. All we have to do is stop watching.

They owe us everything.

Not sure if serious.

Canucks owe you nothing just like Steven Spielberg owes you nothing for watching a movie he directed/produced.

#44 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

Well, since, I can see from the trend of posts, Day 1 will still be a sell-out as fans are just that addicted.

In that case, carry on NHL and PA, take all the time you want, go slowly but surely, lockout may wipeout this season, even the next, rest assured we will wait for you. In fact, you can do this cycle every 6 or 7 years, and we wouldn't mind. We'll still be here for you. As my colleague above said, you DO NOT owe as fans anything. We deserve your lockout. The important thing is both the owners and players get their money. Do not mind us, we will never go away, ever.

Edited by Mr. Reputable, 01 December 2012 - 09:01 PM.

#45 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,492 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

Not sure if serious.

Canucks owe you nothing just like Steven Spielberg owes you nothing for watching a movie he directed/produced.

The difference is Steven Spielberg didn't sell tickets to and advertising in a movie he promised to release only to change his mind at the last minute and not release it at all.

Edited by poetica, 02 December 2012 - 12:54 PM.

Go, Canucks, Go!

#46 skolozsy2

skolozsy2

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

I wonder how many ticket-less fans are making this request?

Its really easy to ask for a boycott of a game in which you had no way of going to anyway. Real noble of people.

I'll tell you what, If I want to boycott oil companies because of high gas prices...anyone gonna fulfill my request of walking to work next week. I wont walk...i have vacation time....but everyone else should. Have some backbone.

#47 German_Canucks_Supporter

German_Canucks_Supporter

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

Not sure if serious.

This is the problem with the mindset of American sports fans. You seem to believe the crap they tell you that all the owners are charitable guys who "give" to their communities a pro-sports franchise. Nothing could be further away from the truth. As a matter of fact, hockey was a sport created by the people for the people, not for big business. Hockey is not the property of 30 rich guys who want to make an "investment" and create "revenue", it's your national sport, guys!

I am really deeply involved as a soccer fan of my local team, and we are fighting like lions in order to keep our privileges, our fan culture and everything else that makes it worth being a sports fan - and even if we are not successful every time, we have at least tried to resist the changes that seem to be coming our way. It's no solution to stay passive and just let the things pass as they always did. Neither the players nor the owners would have anything to argue about if it wasn't for our money that we give them! Without TV-audience, ticket sales and arena audience, there would be no NHL, as much as there is none without players and franchises.

I don't know if there is any serious hope for a change in the attitude of sports fans in North America, but I claim that such a change would be absolutely necessary if you really wanted to improve their situation. I have spent hundreds of Dollars for NHL-merchandise, tickets and stuff, as an outsider from a different continent, and I have a different perspective on things as I grew up in a different social environment and in a different sports culture. We have overpaid players as well, but at least we have sports clubs which are owned by members (everybody can become one) who elect a president, a GM and other representatives. This is the way things are round here, and it gives us fans at least some power to influence things. And maybe that's why I don't get it why so many people I met in places like Vancouver or Montreal have given up the idea that you may have something to say in the policies and agendas of your beloved team. In your hearts, you are just as much hardcore fans as we are, I would never deny that - just to make that clear!

The Quest for Lord Stanley continues!

Posted Image

Proud fan of the Vancouver Canucks and the Nuremberg Ice Tigers.

#48 I♥Wellwood

I♥Wellwood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:03 AM

An empty arena would be a powerful statement. But if the tickets are going to be bought anyway (and I think TheMinister's right about that being the only way to accomplish the set goal), I think an equally, if not even more, powerful image would be an arena full of silent, sedate people wearing black as if in mourning. No one wears a jersey. No one buys a single thing (no beer, no burgers, no merchandise). No one utters a single word or cheers the team at any time. They just sit in silence holding signs that say things like, "We've been waiting. Where were you?" or "I came back, but I left my wallet at home." or "Shame on the NHL for locking out fans!"

If you could get a bunch of canucks fans to sit quietly (which would be hard), the second the canucks score, people would celebrate just out of pure instinct. It's too hard to fight against that feeling.

Posted Image

#49 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,492 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

If you could get a bunch of canucks fans to sit quietly (which would be hard), the second the canucks score, people would celebrate just out of pure instinct. It's too hard to fight against that feeling.

*lol* You're probably right. I cheer out loud when the fake Canucks score in the fake season.
Go, Canucks, Go!

#50 The Vancouver Connection

The Vancouver Connection

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

I'm actually cancelling my season tickets. I hope more do the same. Don't care much for this league anymore.
Sig too big, 500 KB limit

#51 mabbott

mabbott

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

I think this is a great idea. Its could have enough power just to plant one right on the chin of NHL and NHLPA to show em that the fans will not tolerate this in the future and are not happy with this BS. I fully support boycotting the home opener for each team ( phoenix could be left out with the financial mess they've had to endure.)

#52 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

Nice to know this is back on track. The NHL and PA is making a mockery of us fans. Time fir fans to strike back.

Edited by Mr. Reputable, 05 January 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#53 Hockeyrulz

Hockeyrulz

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

They are still going to make money whether people show up or not. You forget in a city like Vancouver 17,000 season tickets are already sold. Whether people show up or not, they are getting their money and yet again the only people in your scenario here losing yet again is the fans who don't get to enjoy the money they have spent to go to that game.

#54 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,492 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

True, but they'd make significantly less if those people didn't buy any concessions or swag while they're at the game. And it would allow fans to still get what they want while sending a strong message about taking our loyalty (and money!) for granted.
Go, Canucks, Go!

#55 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,412 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

The difference is Steven Spielberg didn't sell tickets to and advertising in a movie he promised to release only to change his mind at the last minute and not release it at all.

No but he did give me an Indiana Jones movie with an atomic bomb and a fridge. He really should apologise at least. ;)
To be fair, once I heard Shia LeBeouf was in it, that should have been the clue to not watch it.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#56 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

They are still going to make money whether people show up or not. You forget in a city like Vancouver 17,000 season tickets are already sold. Whether people show up or not, they are getting their money and yet again the only people in your scenario here losing yet again is the fans who don't get to enjoy the money they have spent to go to that game.

It isn't 17000.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#57 Biznow

Biznow

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

if anyone thinks fans can't do anything. Have a look at the NFL and the Kansas City Chiefs. The SaveOurChiefs fan movement has successfully rid that franchise of their lame duck GM and head coach.

They flew banners over the stadium calling for the GM and coach to be fired, the crowd wore all black to show frustration, went on radio shows, they stopped spending money on merchandise, and eventually stopped going to the games. You know what happened? The GM and coach got fired.

Posted Image~Biznow

#58 VancouverCanucksRock

VancouverCanucksRock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

C'mon show some backbone. That's probably they treat us such because we fans are spineless?

Wanna give em 6 Billion this time? Suffer same lockout after 6 years?

Sorry, after 10 years.
Posted Image WHen idiots think numbers are words, I do believe in 2012 for cleansing Earth of the idiots

#59 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

If it wasn't you posting then, maybe, I'd be able to take this thread seriously...

#60 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

It may accidentally work in the some of the USA market teams, they probably wont even notice until after the first season game is showed on highlights, that hockey is back on.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.