Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Kansas City Chiefs Jovan Belcher Kills Girlfriend, Then Self.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,278 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Javon Belcher killed girlfriend, then self, police Say

Police say Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Javon Belcher fatally shot his girlfriend early Saturday, then drove to Arrowhead Stadium and committed suicide in front of his coach and general manager.

Police spokesman Darin Snapp confirmed it was Belcher, a fourth-year player from West Babylon, N.Y., who played college ball at Maine. The woman's name has not yet been released.

Snapp said Belcher shot the woman at a Kansas City residence, then drove to the Chiefs facility. He thanked Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli and Romeo Crennel for all they had done for him, then shot himself.
Authorities received a call Saturday morning from a woman who said her daughter had been shot multiple times at a residence about five miles away from the Arrowhead complex.
"When we arrived, a lady informed us that her daughter had been shot multiple times by her boyfriend, by the daughter's boyfriend," Snapp said. "She identified him as a Chiefs player."
Snapp said a call was then received from the Chiefs' facility.
"The description matched the suspect description from that other address. We kind of knew what we were dealing with," he said. The player was "holding a gun to his head" as he stood in front of the front doors of the practice facility.
"And there were Pioli and Crennel and another coach or employee was standing outside and appeared to be talking to him. It appeared they were talking to the suspect," Snapp said. "The suspect began to walk in the opposite direction of the coaches and the officers and that's when they heard the gunshot. It appears he took his own life."
The coaches told police they never felt in any danger, Snapp said.
"They said the player was actually thanking them for everything they'd done for him," he said. "They were just talking to him and he was thanking them and everything. That's when he walked away and shot himself."
Snapp described the girlfriend as in her early 20s and that she and the player had a child together. He said the woman's mother told police they had recently been arguing.
Arrowhead Stadium has been lockdown since about 8 a.m.
"We can confirm that there was an incident at Arrowhead earlier this morning," the Chiefs said in a statement. "We are cooperating with authorities in their investigation."
Kansas City is scheduled to host the Carolina Panthers on Sunday. The league has informed the Panthers to travel as scheduled because the game is going on as scheduled.
The season has been a massive disappointment for the Chiefs, who were expected to contend for theAFC West title.
They're just 1-10 and mired in an eight-game losing streak that has been marked by devastating injuries and fan upheaval, with constant calls the past few weeks for Pioli and Crennel to be fired. Things have been so bad this season that Crennel fired himself as defensive coordinator.
The Chiefs have been ravaged by injuries, led the league in turnovers, can't settle on a quarterback and are dealing with a full-fledged fan rebellion. The Twitter account for a fan group known as "Save Our Chiefs" recently surpassed 80,000 followers, about 17,000 more than the announced crowd at a recent game.

Edited by Jägermeister, 01 December 2012 - 04:47 PM.

Jagermeister.jpg

#2 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

:(
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#3 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

they couldnt even bother to spell his name correctly. sad day when at 25 years old a person thinks they have no reason to live and takes their own life & his ex? gf a young mother.

#4 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

Damn. What makes this especially tragic is that he took someone else with him and then committed the suicide in front of people who cared about him (as I presume that the GM and coach do).

<---------- I Found Wellwood!!!

14diqh3.jpg
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
"There is a time and place for everything but not now."

http://forum.canucks...been-converted/

#5 SOB for MVP

SOB for MVP

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,022 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

I was deeply saddened when I woke up to this news this morning. I grew up a devoted Chiefs fan, and I havent missed watching a game in 9 years, despite the ups and downs.

This season has been hard, the team is the worst in team history, the "Save Our Chiefs" movement has taken over full swing in Kansas City, and the fans have been in uproar over GM Scott Pioli, as well as head coach Romeo Crennel and QB Matt Cassel.

When people think the season couldn't get any worse, something real like this happens. Incidents like this make all those other issues irrelevent.

Posted Image

sig by -VC-

#6 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,705 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Sports like Rugby and others are looking into head injuries and concussions and trying to make their sports safer. The NFL one of the biggest, and wealthiest leagues is only now starting to look at the long term effects. In the past few years we've seen a rather large increase in suicides among NFL'ers and ex-NFL'ers. I remember the old helmets we used in high school were built like tanks. Lots of materiel on the outside, gel padding on the inside. I loved tackling in them. Maybe the new helmets are too light, and not providing enough protection? One of the symptoms in repeat concussions is depression.

I think we need to get to the cause of the problem and help reducing it. We may not be able to help Javon Belcher. But if his legacy is his death triggered research on helping others, his death may not be in vain.

My heart to go out to the victims and his family, and the coach and GM.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#7 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,668 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

I was just reading about this on TSN and at first the only thought I had was "This has to be some kind of sick joke."

Unbelievable for a someone to be so selfish to not only take their own life, but someone else as well. Then to do it in front of other people that more than likely cared about him as well is just disgusting.

I feel for his coach and GM, they are going to have a tough time getting over something like this. I found my roommate years ago hanging from a garden hose and I know how long it took me to get over that. It took a huge emotional toll on me for years, and that was nowhere near as bad as what they have witnessed.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 01 December 2012 - 01:43 PM.

qrak1x.jpg

#8 Dayman

Dayman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

Absolutely horrible... the worst part is that he took his girlfriend's life and leaves behind a little girl, all alone. I pray that she can have as close to a normal life as possible :sadno:

#9 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,845 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

When people think the season couldn't get any worse, something real like this happens. Incidents like this make all those other issues irrelevent.

And yet tomorrows game will go ahead as scheduled. Life must go on? Apparently the game is bigger than life itself. Sad all around/

#10 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,278 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

I was just reading about this on TSN and at first the only thought I had was "This has to be some kind of sick joke."

Unbelievable for a someone to be so selfish to not only take their own life, but someone else as well. Then to do it in front of other people that more than likely cared about him as well is just disgusting.

I feel for his coach and GM, they are going to have a tough time getting over something like this. I found my roommate years ago hanging from a garden hose and I know how long it took me to get over that. It took a huge emotional toll on me for years, and that was nowhere near as bad as what they have witnessed.

Agree with you 100%.
In all honesty I hope that the Chiefs don't have a tribute to him. How would his girlfriends family feel seeing the man who killed a loved one being honoured after death?
If anything, they should have a tribute to his girlfriend.

Jagermeister.jpg

#11 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

Is it wrong to think he's nothing but a coward? How selfish could've he been? I'm just disgusted.

As Jager said, I agree they better not give a tribute to a man who killed his girlfriend then himself. Got to feel bad for his family/gfs family and team though.
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#12 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,598 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

Agree with you 100%.
In all honesty I hope that the Chiefs don't have a tribute to him. How would his girlfriends family feel seeing the man who killed a loved one being honoured after death?

This is the real conflicting part, and I truly hope that the Chiefs do not hold a tribute for him. On the one hand, suicide is very difficult on those close to the deceased, and it is nice to have a tribute to remember a loved one.

On the other hand, this man is a murderer, and had he not taken his own life, he would be in custody now, and certainly no tribute would be held for a man in custody. Remember him, if you like, on your own time. This man's life should not be publicly celebrated in light of what he has done to the victim and the family of the victim, including a young child.

What a ???? joke. Benning is the worst GM in the NHL. I can't believe this guy is actually this stupid. This imbecile is going to drive this team into the ???? ground.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#13 Gran Turismo

Gran Turismo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

This is the real conflicting part, and I truly hope that the Chiefs do not hold a tribute for him. On the one hand, suicide is very difficult on those close to the deceased, and it is nice to have a tribute to remember a loved one.

On the other hand, this man is a murderer, and had he not taken his own life, he would be in custody now, and certainly no tribute would be held for a man in custody. Remember him, if you like, on your own time. This man's life should not be publicly celebrated in light of what he has done to the victim and the family of the victim, including a young child.

Perhaps just a moment of silence for the tragic events that occurred.
Posted Image

#14 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

Perhaps just a moment of silence for the tragic events that occurred.

This is probably what they'll do.

Crazy situation though. Makes you wonder if some sort of head trauma contributed to this, or if he was just bat s*** crazy the whole time and just finally popped off.

#15 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,430 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

they couldnt even bother to spell his name correctly. sad day when at 25 years old a person thinks they have no reason to live and takes their own life & his ex? gf a young mother.

Are you kidding me? F that guy and his name, he's the one who killed a woman and left a baby with no parents.

#16 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

Well just one week ago was the International Day to end Violence against Women, and in under a week is the anniversary (for lack of a better word) of the December 6 Montreal Massacre, so I imagine there will be a violence against women observance

FYI it's white ribbon time here in Canada, and you all can wear a white ribbon to support ending violence against women

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#17 drdeath

drdeath

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,732 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

The Chiefs have reinvented rock bottom on a weekly basis this season but this was too far

seU9GBs.gif

#18 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,373 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

Brutal tragedy. Did he really have to take his gf's life AND kill himself in front of the coach and GM?? Just disgusting.

What a coward. Makes me soooo damn sick to my stomach, especially now that I have a five-month old at home.

Edited by Raoul Duke, 01 December 2012 - 11:12 PM.

FearandLoathingSig.jpg

Total control now. Tooling along the main drag on a Saturday night in Vegas. Two good old boys in a fire-apple red convertible. Stoned. Ripped. Twisted. Good people. 

#19 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:40 PM

Who cares where he went to college? Curious as to who his dentist was myself.

Tragic story otherwise.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#20 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

Such an awful story. I don't know that the Chiefs organization can make a right decision on how to handle this. You know they are probably debating it, as we speak. No one can really be prepared for a thing like this. Impressed they are still taking the field.

Thoughts are with the families and that little girl. So sad. =(
Posted Image

#21 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:43 AM

Such an awful story. I don't know that the Chiefs organization can make a right decision on how to handle this. You know they are probably debating it, as we speak. No one can really be prepared for a thing like this. Impressed they are still taking the field.

Thoughts are with the families and that little girl. So sad. =(

Do what the WWE did with Chris Benoit - honour the deceased girlfriend and help any other family members cope, but make no mention of Belcher after this.

#22 kyledude

kyledude

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,943 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:52 AM

As if the Chiefs' season couldn't get any worse...

#23 JJC

JJC

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:14 AM

I feel so sad thinking about their son having to grow up knowing how his parents died.

COLTSTRONG

Posted Image

d d d d d d ddd d d d d d ddddddddd-Formally known as Jay Jay Sea

#24 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

Agree with you 100%.

Agreed. This guy kills his girlfriend, then goes out and kills himself in front of others at the football field. There should be no honor, nor any tribute, to a murderer and coward.

Put up the tribute to the young lady
Posted Image

#25 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

anybody with sunday ticket watch the start of the Chiefs game? I'm curious to see how they handled it

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#26 ī мцšт вяздк чфµ

ī мцšт вяздк чфµ

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

http://sports.yahoo....1565225838.html

Edited by ī мцšт вяздк чфµ, 02 December 2012 - 03:11 PM.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#27 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,598 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

Moment of silence was held for victims of domestic violence. I feel this was the appropriate way to address everything.

No more photos of Belcher. Honour the memory of Kassandra Perkins. Apparently she was shot 9 times in front of her own mother (as per TSN).

What a ???? joke. Benning is the worst GM in the NHL. I can't believe this guy is actually this stupid. This imbecile is going to drive this team into the ???? ground.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#28 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 11,668 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

Anyone else find it a little creepy that this wasn't the first murder/suicide in the Chiefs organization?

qrak1x.jpg

#29 I♥Wellwood

I♥Wellwood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

or if he was just bat s*** crazy the whole time and just finally popped off.

The weird thing is that he was a member of Male Athletes Against Violence while attending the University of Maine... which means he signed a pledge, promising to "look honestly at my actions in regards to violence and make changes, if necessary." He even majored in Child Development and Family Relations. Ended up graduated in less than 4 years.

The University of Maine head coach described Belcher as "very soft-spoken, an absolute gentleman" and said that he seemed like he was "very much in control of himself" in 2008.

The Kansas City Star reported that their argument began after his gf came home late from a concert w/ her friends.

On a sidenote, may Eric Eucker rest in peace. Eric was employed by the Browns as a groundskeeping employee and hung himself in the equipment shed of the team's headquarters on the same day that the Belcher story broke. No one at the HQ aside from Eucker and was found later on.

Edited by I♥Wellwood, 03 December 2012 - 07:16 AM.

Posted Image

#30 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

^^makes you wonder what may have triggered it. shooting someone 9 times is a bit much
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.