The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My First Smartphone-Android

Where's Wellwood

I'm getting my first smartphone, and I'm split between the Nexus 4, galaxy nexus, and galaxy s3.

Keep in mind that I plan to have this phone for at least 3 years unless it breaks. Don't plan on upgrading any time soon.

Some questions/issues I have are:

Nexus 4:

• only comes in 8 or 16 GB non-expandable. I'll probably only be using apps and internet, I won't be downloading any many if any movies or music, so is this a problem given I plan to have this phone for a while?

• only available unlocked and off contract for around $300. I've heard that you save money over time buying it unlocked and creating your own plan based on what you need but I'm not sure how much I'll need since this is my first smartphone, so is buying it unlocked a good thing?

• how does it feel? I've read conflicting reviews where some say it feels like a premium smartphone but other reviews say it feels plasticky and cheap

• Can only buy it from the google play store.

Galaxy Nexus:

• comes in 32 GB non-expandable. Will I need that much given what what I plan to do with it?

• more expensive unlocked than then nexus 4 by about $150 on average, available for about $30 on contract. Worth it?

• How does it feel?

Galaxy s3:

• If I get this one, I'll almost certainly buy it with a plan since it's almost double the price of the nexus 4 unlocked

• Have also heard that the s3 feel plasticky

• This isn't a vanilla android. Is this an issue?

Can anybody help me decide with reasons for or against the phones? ( and don't say Iphone, b/c I'm not getting one. I'm against apple. No particular reason. Just don't like it)

Nexus 4 - Feels great, awesome specs, everything you need in a phone. 8gb will be fine if you're not watching a lot of movies or anything. It doesn't feel cheap to me. It feels solid and well built.

Galaxy Nexus - I have this phone and it's my baby. However, you may as well get the Nexus 4 for a better price and better specs. I love the feel of it as well, solid, not cheap.

Galaxy S3 - Also a great phone, but not worth the extra cost over the Galaxy Nexus or Nexus 4. Non-vanilla is a bit of an issue as there is some software bloat and updates are much slower than on the other phones.

If I were you I'd go for the Nexus 4.

Nokia Lumia 920 should be your other option. I heard the battery lasts 3 days with moderate use. It has a crazy good camera, battery, built, screen and call quality. Not to mention Windows Phone 8 is super snappy with this phone.

I have the Galaxy Nexus and I really like it. It has a nice, large screen however the battery isn't too great. For me, personally, the Galaxy Nexus feels too thin but I always like to put a good case on my phones (I have the Otterbox Commuter on it and I love it). I haven't really had many issues.. it used to keep rebooting on me but that problem went away before I decided to go back to the store.

My friend has the S3. It's.. it's beautiful.

Nexus 4 - Feels great, awesome specs, everything you need in a phone. 8gb will be fine if you're not watching a lot of movies or anything. It doesn't feel cheap to me. It feels solid and well built.

Galaxy Nexus - I have this phone and it's my baby. However, you may as well get the Nexus 4 for a better price and better specs. I love the feel of it as well, solid, not cheap.

Galaxy S3 - Also a great phone, but not worth the extra cost over the Galaxy Nexus or Nexus 4. Non-vanilla is a bit of an issue as there is some software bloat and updates are much slower than on the other phones.

If I were you I'd go for the Nexus 4.

You should consider HTC. Best quality for Android Phones. Other wise I will tell you to go NOkia, but they don't have android. Since this is your first smart phone, I highly suggest trying out a windows phone. I personally think that os is much better then android, due to androids in consistencies, also, if you buy an s3, By July 2013, you will not be able to update to the latest version of Android.

Please reconsider your options before you buy your phone.

BTW, the S3 is the most overrated phone on the planet. Cheaply made, screen breaks easily. Does not deserve to be in the same sentense as a lumia. I don't even know why the hell you are considering android. Even the S3 does not have JB 4.2 yet.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11/19/android-4-2-gate-here-are-some-of-the-major-issues-plaguing-googles-newest-release/

Personally I will stay away from anydroid defevices. If you do go android, get a HTC. Those things are built like apple phones.

Archived