The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Two men arrested in Maple Batalia homicide case

nux4lyfe

1st degree murder will get them a life bit with no parole for 25 years.

Tragic situation for everyone including Maple her family and friends and these idiots who killed her. Now they will sit in jail until they are senior citizens and their families will also suffer.

Well, it'll happen, but they could get out earlier on "good behaviour"

And for every convicted gang member that goes to jail, another few pop up again.

It is a sad fact that we do have a gang problem but it is nothing like it is in the US. Most gang members aren't even poor; they're well-off.

At the risk of being nosy, what is the motive of the shooting of her? This seems anything but a random shooting.

Seems targetted, which usually indicates that she has some connection to the underworld, although from people's accounts, she seemed like she was a good person - perhaps a gang member's crush?

Well, it'll happen, but they could get out earlier on "good behaviour"

And for every convicted gang member that goes to jail, another few pop up again.

It is a sad fact that we do have a gang problem but it is nothing like it is in the US. Most gang members aren't even poor; they're well-off.

At the risk of being nosy, what is the motive of the shooting of her? This seems anything but a random shooting.

Seems targetted, which usually indicates that she has some connection to the underworld, although from people's accounts, she seemed like she was a good person - perhaps a gang member's crush?

Since there is a second suspect besides the boyfriend I think this confirms my suspicions that it was an "honour killing." We can probably rule out robbery etc so why would the friend be involved otherwise? She wanted to leave him and he couldn't take it like a man.

My condolences to the family.

I disagree. I am not in favour of vengeance and that is the only justification for the death penalty.

As far as economics, various studies have shown that the death penalty is costlier than life imprisonment.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. ~ Mahatma Gandhi

The death penalty has no efficacy in terms of deterrence, nor does it impact crime rates and only serves the purpose of satisfying some base desire for vengeance.

In summary I prefer the high road of civilization to the low road of vengeance and barbarism. YMMV.

There is a guy in Virginia, Robert Gleason Jr, who is scheduled to die, by electrocution, his choice, in January.

He killed a man and was serving a life sentence, then in 2009, killed his cellmate, was transferred to a super max prison in 2010, still in Va, then killed another man in a recreation cage.

In his own words he has said " "I murdered that man cold-bloodedly. I planned it, and I'm gonna do it again," Gleason told the AP at the time. "Someone needs to stop it. The only way to stop me is put me on death row."

http://hamptonroads.com/node/660475

So, in your eyes, this guy should be allowed to live? The taxpayers should pay to incarcerate someone who has stated they will kill again and again if allowed?

If you kill someone, you should die, call it vengeance, call it whatever you want, its just a word to me, his death is the only way to ensure he never kills again. And if he killed once, he could kill again.

So, killing this one bad guy solves everything?

Innocents have been executed in the past AND it's been proven over and over again that it costs more to execute someone than to keep them incarcerated (unless you live in one of the second or 3rd world country's on Wet's list)

Archived