#61 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:32 AM

So far a couple of your opinions are 100% proven wrong:
1. fact: in first world countries it is more expensive to kill someone via death penalty than have them serve in life in prison. Its seems counter-intuitive but there are tremendous legal fees to consider when killing someone via death penalty.
2.fact: the death penalty does not deter violent crime. Canada's rate of violent crime actually went down once the death penalty was abolished.

You seem pretty opinionated, thats cool and all, but for your sake you might want to educate yourself on the matter. Fact > opinion.

It is more expensive to kill someone via the death penalty because of the endless delays in the execution date through the appeal process in the US. This has happened only in the last few decades. In the 1800's and maybe up to the 1960's, the time between conviction and execution was relatively short in the US. Richard Hauptmann, the kidnapper of Charles Lindburgh, was convicted on Feb. 13, 1935 and executed April 3, 1936. A little over a year. Now some convicted and sentenced murderers are on death row for decades.

#62 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:32 AM

What year was the death penalty abolished? Do you honestly believe that violent crime is still down from that year?

Not a chance.

Regardless if it costs a lot so they can exhaust appeals, it also costs a lot to house these scumbags, and knowing they cant kill again outweighs any cost

.People feeling safe > People not feeling safe.

Fact, you kill, you should be killed.

I understand your thinking of this (I really do); some people deserve to die for what they have done to people. But your sense of justice is extremely misguided.

It's not about deterrent. Honestly, if you needed to kill someone, as in you felt it was necessary for a person to die, any deterrent is not gonna stop you.

I'm not gonna bother going deeper into this because it is just going to detract away from this thread but all I can say is that the criminally insane is among us all. It only needs a trigger or two.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#63 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#64 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:29 AM

A hangin' needn't be costly, all that is required are twelve angry men, a steady hand, and a few feet of rope.

We aren't reinventing the wheel here.

#65 Gran Turismo

Gran Turismo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:33 AM

A hangin' needn't be costly, all that is required are twelve angry men, a steady hand, and a few feet of rope.

We aren't reinventing the wheel here.

Maybe not reinventing the wheel, but definitely going back to a primitive version of it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#66 AK_19

AK_19

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:40 AM

Since there is a second suspect besides the boyfriend I think this confirms my suspicions that it was an "honour killing." We can probably rule out robbery etc so why would the friend be involved otherwise? She wanted to leave him and he couldn't take it like a man.

My condolences to the family.

You probably wouldn't have even brought this up if she was white.

#67 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:58 AM

You probably wouldn't have even brought this up if she was white.

But she isn't 'white', is she?

Have honor killings been a recurring theme in the 'white' community lately?

#68 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:13 AM

It's not an honor killing. Just a jealous ex bf and his dumbass friend. Plain and simple.

Honor killing would be if her own immediate family was backwards and had her killed because she brought "shame to the family"
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#69 AK_19

AK_19

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:26 AM

But she isn't 'white', is she?

Have honor killings been a recurring theme in the 'white' community lately?

You're missing the point I was making. There is NO evidence suggesting that this was an honour killing. The person I quoted is making a very huge stretch to fit the mold that this was an honour killing. Somehow convincing your friend to help kill someone means it was an honour killing which, quite honestly, makes absolutely no sense. If a brown person being murdered is the only thing you need to trigger the idea that this was an honour killing then that is quite sad.

Edited by AK_19, 02 December 2012 - 02:40 AM.

#70 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:50 AM

You're missing the point I was making. There is NO evidence suggesting that this was an honour killing. The person I quoted is making a very huge stretch to fit the mold that this was an honour killing. Somehow convincing your friend to help kill someone means it was an honour killing which, quite honestly, makes absolutely no sense. If a brown person being murdered is the only thing you need to trigger the idea that this was an honour killing then that is quite sad.

I agree. I don't think it looks very muck like an honor killing either.

#71 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:53 AM

^
Oops, a typo.

#72 Dellins

Dellins

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:05 AM

The percentage of innocent people killed is extremely small, and although it should be 100%, its not, courts make mistakes, just like people do.

How does killing this one guy solve everything? What the hell are you talking about ?

I was talking with wetcoaster, who says it would be wrong for this guy to be put to death.

The death penalty needs to be re-instated in Canada, regardless of cost, we would see less violent crimes.

Posted Image

Reality says otherwise.

#73 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:16 AM

We're all gettin' a mite worked up here.

Let's decompress with Bert!

#74 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:20 AM

Doggone if I didn't post the wrong one!

This is the right one.

#75 I♥Wellwood

I♥Wellwood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:47 AM

I remember seeing her in the diary of a wimpy kid. She was was pretty. All of my friends that knew her said that she was a great person but that most people didn't approve of her relationship with Gary. They dated for a LONG time. He started off nice and then later was viewed as a scumbag. He was involved in the wrong crowd and she couldn't get out of the relationship, even though she tried.

Poor girl. My condolences to the op and the Batalia family.

Posted Image

#76 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Following the incident, her father Harkirat had speculated that it was an ex-boyfriend, overcome with jealousy and rage, who was possibly behind the act. He had told The Province that Maple and her mother had been at Holland Park only days before the shooting and had been followed by someone identified as Maple's ex-boyfriend.

http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz2DvXGwAgE
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#77 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,463 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

I think we'll find that he was "dissed" by her and cultural influences played a part in this poor girls murder. Who has their friend help kill a girl?
I say again, cultural influences.

Two male caucasian youth convicted of the murder of Kimberly Proctor two years ago:

http://www.theglobea.../article574342/

EDIT: As has been mentioned, the only reason you are suggesting that the offence was the result of an honour killing is because of the ethnicity of the individuals involved.

Edited by Down by the River, 02 December 2012 - 03:38 PM.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#78 VancouverCanucksRock

VancouverCanucksRock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

Gotta start killin these maniacs RIGHT AWAY, or this will only continue to get worse.
Posted Image WHen idiots think numbers are words, I do believe in 2012 for cleansing Earth of the idiots

#79 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

Gotta start killin these maniacs RIGHT AWAY, or this will only continue to get worse.

What are you on about?

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#80 Gran Turismo

Gran Turismo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

Before what gets worse? Violent crime has been on the decline for the past 2 decades or so, and murder rates have fallen ever since the 70s when capital punishment was abolished.

Killing them right away. Heh, might as well take away due process while you're at it.
Posted Image

#81 CanuckinEdm

CanuckinEdm

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

People do realize he's been charged not convicted right?
On a side note with the ex-boyfriend thinking he's a gangster I'm wondering if he thought she knew too much about him and that's a reason why

#82 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Bail has been granted to one of the accused.

The 23-year-old man accused of being an accessory to the September 2011 murder of Maple Batalia was granted bail Friday in B.C. Supreme Court in New Westminster.

Gursimar Singh Bedi is charged with manslaughter with a firearm and being an accessory after the fact.

Gurjinder “Gary” Dhaliwal, 21, is charged with first-degree murder.

The evidence presented at the bail hearing and the judge’s reasons for his decision are subject to a publication ban.

Bedi will not be released from custody right away, pending submissions Jan. 17 from lawyers on conditions.

Batalia, a 19-year-old aspiring model and actress was shot in a parkade Sept. 28, 2011, as she left Simon Fraser University’s Surrey campus, where she was studying health sciences. She was rushed to Royal Columbian Hospital with multiple gunshot wounds but died.

Bedi and Dhaliwal are scheduled to appear next in B.C. Provincial Court in Surrey on Jan. 25.

http://www.vancouverdesi.com/news/crime-co-accused-in-maple-batalia-case-granted-bail/443819/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.