125 replies to this topic

#91 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,681 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

Lol at 'blame Arniel' talk continuing AFTER he made significant coaching decisions to secure the win...

Defensive laziness is made to look acceptable with stellar goaltending, which we had, until Lack pulled something that is.

Multiple benchings are a good way to get a team refocused.
Posted Image

#92 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,971 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

i love how since people can't complain about anything AV has done, they channel their coaching hate towards arniel.

#93 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,391 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

double post

Edited by TruCanuck, 02 December 2012 - 01:36 PM.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#94 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,391 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

Lol at 'blame Arniel' talk continuing AFTER he made significant coaching decisions to secure the win...

Defensive laziness is made to look acceptable with stellar goaltending, which we had, until Lack pulled something that is.

we aren't wolves fans. were Canuck fans. I could care pessimism wether they finish first or last along as our prospects develop accordingly. riding pine is not the way to make this happen.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#95 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,524 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

we aren't wolves fans. were Canuck fans. I could care pessimism wether they finish first or last along as our prospects develop accordingly. riding pine is not the way to make this happen.

Riding the pine is part of development. Part of Cody Hodgson's failure in Vancouver was due to the fact he hadn't faced much adversity in his career.

The Chicago Wolves are also a professional hockey team like the Canucks. Winning is just as important to them than us.

Posted Image

#96 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,391 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

Riding the pine is part of development. Part of Cody Hodgson's failure in Vancouver was due to the fact he hadn't faced much adversity in his career.

The Chicago Wolves are also a professional hockey team like the Canucks. Winning is just as important to them than us.

fair enough....but if I had an say in it I'd like to see what they can do without our affiliation. like an all or none type deal. I can understand benching one prospect. but both leading scorers and knautt?? I'm actually offended. do you think they had to check with Canuck management before they pulled this stunt?

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#97 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

If 7g 5a 12pts in 19gp is the best offensive numbers Schroeder can produce at that level then we are in a serious world of hurt. Honestly, look at the difference in production here:

41g 53a 94pts in his first 101gp at age 21 & 22:
http://theahl.com/st...yer.php?id=2630

vs

28g 28a 56pts in 95gp at the same age of 21 & 22

The bottom line is that Schroeder was drafted because of his offensive skillset but at this stage of his career he is being relied on to produce offence on a nightly basis (ie point per game production) and barely putting up .5pts/game over his past 7gp (pretty much the same rate as the past 95gp) is not really cutting it in a top six role is it? Especially when you're also a -2 during that same span and a -5 in his last 8gp with 4g 2a (none of which appear to be PP pts) meaning that he's been on the ice for 11 even strength/shorthanded goals against in 8gp. Incidentally, what was the losing streak? Four and 1-6-1 in the last 8gp?

And if Kassian's uninspired backchecking and poor Dzone coverage is the best effort he can possibly give us, we are in an even bigger world of hurt because this guy is supposed to be at least a Chris Neil type (if he fails to reach his potential) and when was the last time you saw Neil loafing around the ice not making life miserable for the opposition?

I leave you w/ this message being relayed by Arneil:

“I think the whole team did a great job of sacrificing and committing to the win late in the game,” said Wolves head coach Scott Arniel. “It was real nice to erase some struggles in the third by turning a one-goal lead into two late in the game.”

First he contrasts defensive effort late in the game with the piss poor meltdown the night before and then praises the efforts to press even harder to build on that lead. Sure, it was a win vs crappy team but the bottom line is that a better effort led to better execution which ultimately resulted in a win (incidentally Schroeder was held pointless with a -3 in back to back games vs that exact same crappy team barely two weeks ago). Now it's time for Schroeder and Kassian to do what each of them is expected to do.

I give you points, for making an imformed and detailed reply.

But I think the context was a little off. what I was saying is why would you Scratch your 2 best offensive players (at the time, both were on point streaks that has ended the game prior), when there are ton's of other player struggling worse.

Longpre has 8 Points in 17 Games.

Haydar only has 6 Points in 16 Games.

Bill Sweat has 6 Points in 18 Games.

Then you look at Schroeder and Kassian who both have 12 points in 19 and 18 games respectively.

Desbiens has been terrible, Joslin has been terrible, he doesn't Scratch them, and Sauve who was kind of the innocent hostage in all of this I thought actually had been playing pretty well in a shutdown role, he wasn't putting up points (obviously) but he is a +3.

And really the only reason they were all these Scratches is because Connaution threw the puck away for no reason and they scored. Connaution maybe I can understand, but no reason to Scratch the other's especially when there are playing the best on the team.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 02 December 2012 - 10:55 PM.

zackass.png

#98 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

i love how since people can't complain about anything AV has done, they channel their coaching hate towards arniel.

Hey I rip both guys.

zackass.png

#99 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

Arniel picked a safe team to pull that risky move against. The Rivermen are awful this season, with worse offensive numbers than the Wolves. Jake Allen is the only reason they're in it every night.

If this little benching didn't work, I'm sure everyone on here would be even more frustrated with Arniel. The players that are deserving of benching are guys like Haydar (no goals 6 assists), Ebbett and Desbiens. Last night was the first Wolves game I didn't watch, as I had no reason to (and I couldn't find a feed). Benching our top prospects can't be good for development.

The Sauve hate is also really questionable. Even with the Wolves recent struggles Sauve has only been negative in a game twice this season. The guy is a rock on defense and brings a physical aspect other Wolves defenders don't have.

Benching Schroeder who has 11 points in his last 14 games (he struggled early on) and Kassian who was riding a point streak up until Fridays game does not in anyway boost your offense. I understand Kassian was on for the bad goal against on Friday, but it's been said that Connauton was the one who made the bad play. As well some of you are critical of their point production, in which both are tied for 2nd in team scoring. Kassian was given limited minutes in the 3 games following his suspension, couple that with 2 'no goal' calls against him in that time frame, and he hasn't been inconsistent at all.

The best line up I've seen Arniel ice was something like this:

Pinizzotto - Ebbett - Gordon
Rodin - Schroeder - Kassian
Sterling - Longpre - Davies
Sweatt - Mallet - Miller

Connauton - Tanev
Matheson - Joslin
Sauve - Andersson

Lack
Climie

This line up won them several games, and has a nice balance of vets and devs not to mention having a legitimate scoring threat on every line. I praised Arniel when he iced this line up. I acknowledge that injuries have since clouded the line up, but the complete overhaul and line juggling doesn't lead to any sort of chemistry to build on.

Next game isn't till the 7th vs the Griffins, a good team. We'll see if Arniel is courageous enough to bench his top guys against Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco and Andersson.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#100 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

Arniel picked a safe team to pull that risky move against. The Rivermen are awful this season, with worse offensive numbers than the Wolves. Jake Allen is the only reason they're in it every night.

If this little benching didn't work, I'm sure everyone on here would be even more frustrated with Arniel. The players that are deserving of benching are guys like Haydar (no goals 6 assists), Ebbett and Desbiens. Last night was the first Wolves game I didn't watch, as I had no reason to (and I couldn't find a feed). Benching our top prospects can't be good for development.

The Sauve hate is also really questionable. Even with the Wolves recent struggles Sauve has only been negative in a game twice this season. The guy is a rock on defense and brings a physical aspect other Wolves defenders don't have.

Benching Schroeder who has 11 points in his last 14 games (he struggled early on) and Kassian who was riding a point streak up until Fridays game does not in anyway boost your offense. I understand Kassian was on for the bad goal against on Friday, but it's been said that Connauton was the one who made the bad play. As well some of you are critical of their point production, in which both are tied for 2nd in team scoring. Kassian was given limited minutes in the 3 games following his suspension, couple that with 2 'no goal' calls against him in that time frame, and he hasn't been inconsistent at all.

The best line up I've seen Arniel ice was something like this:

Pinizzotto - Ebbett - Gordon
Rodin - Schroeder - Kassian
Sterling - Longpre - Davies
Sweatt - Mallet - Miller

Connauton - Tanev
Matheson - Joslin
Sauve - Andersson

Lack
Climie

This line up won them several games, and has a nice balance of vets and devs not to mention having a legitimate scoring threat on every line. I praised Arniel when he iced this line up. I acknowledge that injuries have since clouded the line up, but the complete overhaul and line juggling doesn't lead to any sort of chemistry to build on.

Next game isn't till the 7th vs the Griffins, a good team. We'll see if Arniel is courageous enough to bench his top guys against Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco and Andersson.

I think Ebbett has actually been okay.

But you can't forget Joslin, I would have scratched him far before Sauve.

Other than that I agree 100%, interested to see what he does again Grand Rapids. +1

zackass.png

#101 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

Kassian, Schroeder and k nauts all out. Where's the 250,000$ fine? :P

#102 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

? > Arniel & AV.

IMO they both suck.

Sarcasm. I much prefer AV over Arniel. Though that's not to say I am AV's number one fan either.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#103 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

Still don`t get how Schroeder isn`t the No. 1 center on this team.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#104 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

Lack was not providing stellar goaltending. Rarely could he get through a game without allowing 3 goals against.

Stick with trivial one liners meant to increase your post count.

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

#105 pibroch

pibroch

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

Wow just watched the highlights and Rodin had great game. Seriously just about every other clip was of him. He made 3 or 4 nice passes which could have been goals and set Archibald up for a goal that was waived off cause it was after the buzzer.

#106 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,681 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

Lack was not providing stellar goaltending. Rarely could he get through a game without allowing 3 goals against.

Lack has been trying to play through an injury, so that would be the reason why his play as of late hasn't been stellar. However early on he was pretty good.

Stick to whatever it is you do, whoever you are.
Posted Image

#107 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

Lack has been trying to play through an injury, so that would be the reason why his play as of late hasn't been stellar. However early on he was pretty good.

Posted Image
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#108 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

Arneil is just giving the boys a taste of what is to come if they get to the big club and Mr Gant.

#109 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

Early on? If by early on you mean his first game, in which he earned a shutout, then you are certainly correct. However, in his next five games (after the season opener) his GAA was 3.40.

I like Eddie Lack, and I think he has a future in the NHL, but he has struggled throughout the entire season. I believe he is fully capable of playing better, but your statement that he was good early on does not correspond with his actual stats (http://theahl.com/st...ame.php?id=3785).

#110 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,681 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

Good enough to earn wins though, right?

The 3-8 November record is a collective effort though. Not just the goaltender. Not just the coach.

Although it's a lot easier to single out the goalie or coach because they are on their own, it's also a pretty lazy way to look at the team.

It's also a common way for some lazy Canuck fans to criticize their own team. Too bad these fans weren't locked out too.
Posted Image

#111 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

But I think the context was a little off. what I was saying is why would you Scratch your 2 best offensive players (at the time, both were on point streaks that has ended the game prior), when there are ton's of other player struggling worse.

Then you look at Schroeder and Kassian who both have 12 points in 19 and 18 games respectively.

Desbiens has been terrible, Joslin has been terrible, he doesn't Scratch them, and Sauve who was kind of the innocent hostage in all of this I thought actually had been playing pretty well in a shutdown role, he wasn't putting up points (obviously) but he is a +3.

And really the only reason there were all these Scratches were because Connaution threw the puck away for no reason and they scored. Connaution maybe I can understand, but no reason to Scratch the other's especially when there are playing the best on the team.

#112 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

Can we bench Arneil for not calling a time out after Connauton dumped the puck down the ice for icing?

Edited by JohnLennon, 02 December 2012 - 11:00 PM.

#113 CmdrAdama

CmdrAdama

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

With Lack playing the way he has, I'm REALLY happy that Luongo is still around. I'm sure all these players will be back in for the next game, and the fire shall be there. (I hope... lol)

#114 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:43 AM

I'd say there is a decent backup goalie to be had for less than $6.7 million per season.

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#115 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:11 AM

And really the only reason they were all these Scratches is because Connaution threw the puck away for no reason and they scored. Connaution maybe I can understand, but no reason to Scratch the other's especially when there are playing the best on the team.

Yes but the guys who played looked like they were more of a team.
Kevin.jpg

#116 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,453 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

Really Hodgson didn't face much adversity you say? I would say having a major injury right coccur right as your ready to make your professional debut is adversity. Having that injury misdiagnosed by your NHL team doctor is also adversity. How about finally getting healthy and just starting to make a name for yourself in the NHL only to get hurt again? How about getting sent up and down between the NHL and AHL, asked to go from a top 6 spot winger spot one game and a bottom line centre spot the next? Hodgson faced some adversity as a Canuck I'd say.
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#117 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,681 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

Hodgson's also currently facing some adversity as a Sabre. Still sitting out after getting his wrist slashed late October. I'm not sure why Hodgson came up again, but it's a shame that he's yet to get a good string of games together as a pro thus far.

Meanwhile, Kassian's been suspended and benched for his games sat out so far this season.
Posted Image

#118 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,681 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

(My comment about Hodgson not putting together a decent string of games together as a pro will now be attacked by somebody who loves Hodgson.)
Posted Image

#119 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

Wow just watched the highlights and Rodin had great game. Seriously just about every other clip was of him. He made 3 or 4 nice passes which could have been goals and set Archibald up for a goal that was waived off cause it was after the buzzer.

I noticed this as well. I hope he continues to do these types of things. I like when he shoots the puck because he really can let it rip.
:towel:

#120 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

The thing that stood out the most to me was the over all compete level of Chicago during this game. It seems Chicago hasn't played to this level consitently and needs to. I think if guys like Shroeder and Kassian bring their compete level up, they can begin to dominate like they should be doing already. You cant just rely on your skill level to get you through games, you need to bring max effort shift after shift to be successful. Archiblad, Ebbet, and even Miller looked like they wanted it the entire night. Ebbet could've easily scored twice if not for some bad luck.

I hope this is what some of these guys needed to really take their games to another level.
:towel:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.