The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

canuks havent learnt lesson from losing to bruins and kings

Ok i like mike gillis, he has made some good moves to get this team 2 president trophies in a row but... I dont think he has addressed the problems that plague our team.

Lack of heart, biggest problem is our star players arent being protected the team motto is if u hurt our players we'll hurt you on the powerplay guess what bruins beat on sedins and guess what we never scored crap on powerplay we actually gave up like 4 short handed goals in that series!!!

This team did nothing to marchant when he rag dolled sedin. If i had been on the ice in bantam and someone did that to our star player i would grabbed him and at least stood up for him thats called heart. this team lacks it. Another example Duncan Keith intentionally injures sedin and hes out rest a yr theres a bit of a scrum but no one does anything. When the lockout is over we need to sign some mean players our 4th line should be feared (parros woulda been perfect signing but florida grabbed him dammit hes tough and can play)

Heres some things i love that Gillis has done.

Kassian for Hodgson- kassians gonna be a beast in a few yrs power

Laps and Higgins for picks- Laps is my fav loved when he mocked bergeron finger biting

Resigned Schneider- Guys a stud

Things i dont like that gillis has done.

1. Kept Raymond hes soft perimeter player not worth 2.3 mill cap hit in my eye

2. The coach hes way to predictable gets outcoached in playoffs and plays favorites on team

(ballard deserved more of a chance. Killed top 4 dmans value how does a 30-40 point dman averaging 21 plus minutes all of a sudden get 10 mins a game and 12 points a yr not to mention top five in league shot blocking)

3. Scouting isnt as good as it should be, we find odd gem like corrado thankfully hes gonna be a stud but we draft small players like schroeder hes 5'8 170 we need to draft 6'4 218 pound mean talented canadian kids not smurfettes. Time for new scouting staff and more whl kids (missed on lucic, fistric, griffith reinhart, ty rattie, dalton thrower, morgan reilly, ryan murray, mcilrath, howden these guys will be studs or at least solid)

Sorry for my rant but id love to hear what do you all think we need to do to get a cup once lockout is over???

i like gillis' hockey sense and vision...to win the cup, everything has to fall in to place at the right time...the team has to peak at the right time...they have to stay injury free....they need a hot goalie....they need their special teams firing on all cylinders and most of all they need a lot of luck...

dissect the past two seasons and you'll get your answer as to why we fell short....

only one team can win the cup each year....

You know what, I actually agree with canuk. The canucks are an amazing "team" we play the team game better than all of the other teams. What we don't have is the unpredictability, it is the same thing every shift cycle,cycle point goal. It works great during regular season when we only face the same team 2 times over 8 months.

When you play in the playoffs other teams have higher interest in scouting the other teams strength and weaknesses since they could play the same team 7 times in 2 weeks. Av needs to get the unpredictability in his coaching style, don't be afraid of splitting up the lines if nothing is clicking. Just do what ever you can so the other coach will have a hard time thinking for his next move.

Heart is obviously missing except these 3 players Burr,Kes,Lappy. I want to make this clear, I know the team playes with full effort and I know the Sedins play with all their heart. However they're more of a patient and wait for mistake player than rush/crash the net players like the three mentioned.

You know what, I actually agree with canuk. The canucks are an amazing "team" we play the team game better than all of the other teams. What we don't have is the unpredictability, it is the same thing every shift cycle,cycle point goal. It works great during regular season when we only face the same team 2 times over 8 months.

When you play in the playoffs other teams have higher interest in scouting the other teams strength and weaknesses since they could play the same team 7 times in 2 weeks. Av needs to get the unpredictability in his coaching style, don't be afraid of splitting up the lines if nothing is clicking. Just do what ever you can so the other coach will have a hard time thinking for his next move.

Heart is obviously missing except these 3 players Burr,Kes,Lappy. I want to make this clear, I know the team playes with full effort and I know the Sedins play with all their heart. However they're more of a patient and wait for mistake player than rush/crash the net players like the three mentioned.

3. Scouting isnt as good as it should be, we find odd gem like corrado thankfully hes gonna be a stud but we draft small players like schroeder hes 5'8 170 we need to draft 6'4 218 pound mean talented canadian kids not smurfettes. Time for new scouting staff and more whl kids (missed on lucic, fistric, griffith reinhart, ty rattie, dalton thrower, morgan reilly, ryan murray, mcilrath, howden these guys will be studs or at least solid)

I don't think heart, grit or toughness is the problem with the Canucks. I think the problem is that after the 2011 Cup final they moved back toward a "tougher", more defensive system. The Canucks strength was speed, skill and transitional play. That's what brought them to the Cup Final. They should move back toward that.

The reason they lost in the Finals was because they ran out of healthy bodies.

I don't think heart, grit or toughness is the problem with the Canucks. I think the problem is that after the 2011 Cup final they moved back toward a "tougher", more defensive system. The Canucks strength was speed, skill and transitional play. That's what brought them to the Cup Final. They should move back toward that.

The reason they lost in the Finals was because they ran out of healthy bodies.

Pretty much. Look at the Canuck injuries and look at the Bruins injury report; they had zero significant injuries. The odd broken nose or laceration, nothing that would terribly hinder your performance in any way.

Now of course King of the BS or someone else will come here and say we're making excuses, but they're wrong. The above is a completely valid reason why we lost and it should not be ignored.

Aren't you the guy that makes a new moronic proposal thread every day, and than you try to claim you're just having some fun because of the lockout. I'm starting to sense that it's less because your bored because there is no hockey... and more because you have absolutely no hockey sense. Players like Reinhart and Reilly were picked in the top 5. Hey bro did you also know we missed out on Tyler Seguin, Taylor Hall, Nail Yakupov, RNH, and Steven Stamkos? It's not our scouting staff's fault that those players are top 5 players... and we are a president trophy winner. Also do you know sentences can be in one complete line, and an

"enter" doesn't

have to be hit every

couple words, because it just looks stupid. What is funny is that you put Dylan McIlrath in that mix, and the NYR are seriously slapping themselves as hard as they can in the face right now, because they picked the mean and big defensemen over the skilled puck mover in Cam Fowler? Size over skill you may think, but in the new NHL that really does not matter as it used to. The Canucks haven't had a top 10 pick in around 4-5 years... and as easy as you may think it is, looking back on drafts.... it really is harder when you have to project what these kids will turn out like in 5-10 years. We also missed out on Shea Weber for that matter. I don't know what bantam team you play for, but since you play in bantam you are grade 8-9. In minor hockey now coaches and the organization as a matter of fact, look down upon fights in hockey. Here is my two cents for you, and hopefully you will put this loose change in your pocket and never let it fall out. Never make a thread again with so many spelling errors, space's in the wrong place. As a matter of fact just don't make threads at all, because all of them are terrible, and you need a couple decades to mature before you start posting threads every couple days.

jhansen your missing the point our drafting sucks lets look at the last 24 yrs

89' 6th overall jason herter bust.

90' nedved 2nd overall shawn antoski 18th overall missed on jagr primeau.

91' 7th overall stojanov bust but awesome that we got nazzy for him.

92' 21st overall libor polasek bust.

93' 20th overall mike wilson bust.

94' 13th overall ohlund good pick, stud.

95' 40th overall chris mccallister bust, never heard of him.

96' 12th overall josh holden bust,career minor leaguer.

97' 10th overall brad ference ok 5/6 dman.

98' 4th overall bryan allen ok pick good top four d.

99' 2nd 3rd sedin brother awesome picks.

00' 23rd nathan smith bust.

01' 16th umberger decent if he had played in van.

02' every pick we drafted never made nhl except brent skinner.

03' 23rd kesler stud goid pick.

04' 26th schneider 91edler good draft yr.

05' 10th bourdon woulda been good.

06' 15th grabner was good never given a chance in van really.

07' 25th patrick white wat a crapty pick who thought that one up.

08' 10th hodgson good pick except drama.

09' 22nd schroeder decent except for him being smurf size.

10' 115th overal mcnally probably a bust.

11' 29th jensen nice pick corrado steal at 150th

12' 26th gaunce to early to tell

pretty bad record if u ask me .

i like gillis' hockey sense and vision...to win the cup, everything has to fall in to place at the right time...the team has to peak at the right time...they have to stay injury free....they need a hot goalie....they need their special teams firing on all cylinders and most of all they need a lot of luck...

dissect the past two seasons and you'll get your answer as to why we fell short....

only one team can win the cup each year...

This.

There isn't any magic formula on paper that guarantees a cup. "We should have done this or that" is hindsight and the boys have had to work around some precarious situations. What other team has a ref skate around with a player pre-game to basically say I'm watching you? We just don't get away with punishing other teams like they do to us...it's just how it is and until our guys lay low for awhile and this passes, it means we have to play by the books. I agree...I like it when our guys immediately react to dirty plays but we always get the short end of the stick. No whining, just facts. It seems to be improving a bit, but that's just how it's been and, for a couple of years, our guys were shellshocked by it. Didn't know HOW to react because they risked getting thrown out.

Injuries have also come into play - no denying it.

I like this team and how they've consistently managed to contend I think they're learning as they go and will adjust accordingly. Sure, we could use some more girt and size but if the skill level isn't there, it's a wasted roster spot.

But Joe said it best ^

i disagree we need a scary 4th line that can play hit and fight like jim sandlak back in the day. Teams have learnt that you can walk all over our star players hack slash hit punch anything and theres no repercussions. id have rather wasted 2.3 mill cap space on signing george parros and matt martin than resigning raymond we need to scare other teams with hits and physicality. Our defense in last yrs playoffs played cute and didnt take the man in front of the net and guess what we almost were swept. Until this changes canucks will never win a cup ever.

Archived