#1 canuktravella

canuktravella

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:56 AM

POPULAR

Ok i like mike gillis, he has made some good moves to get this team 2 president trophies in a row but... I dont think he has addressed the problems that plague our team.
Lack of heart, biggest problem is our star players arent being protected the team motto is if u hurt our players we'll hurt you on the powerplay guess what bruins beat on sedins and guess what we never scored crap on powerplay we actually gave up like 4 short handed goals in that series!!!
This team did nothing to marchant when he rag dolled sedin. If i had been on the ice in bantam and someone did that to our star player i would grabbed him and at least stood up for him thats called heart. this team lacks it. Another example Duncan Keith intentionally injures sedin and hes out rest a yr theres a bit of a scrum but no one does anything. When the lockout is over we need to sign some mean players our 4th line should be feared (parros woulda been perfect signing but florida grabbed him dammit hes tough and can play)

Heres some things i love that Gillis has done.

Kassian for Hodgson- kassians gonna be a beast in a few yrs power

Laps and Higgins for picks- Laps is my fav loved when he mocked bergeron finger biting

Resigned Schneider- Guys a stud

Things i dont like that gillis has done.

1. Kept Raymond hes soft perimeter player not worth 2.3 mill cap hit in my eye

2. The coach hes way to predictable gets outcoached in playoffs and plays favorites on team
(ballard deserved more of a chance. Killed top 4 dmans value how does a 30-40 point dman averaging 21 plus minutes all of a sudden get 10 mins a game and 12 points a yr not to mention top five in league shot blocking)

3. Scouting isnt as good as it should be, we find odd gem like corrado thankfully hes gonna be a stud but we draft small players like schroeder hes 5'8 170 we need to draft 6'4 218 pound mean talented canadian kids not smurfettes. Time for new scouting staff and more whl kids (missed on lucic, fistric, griffith reinhart, ty rattie, dalton thrower, morgan reilly, ryan murray, mcilrath, howden these guys will be studs or at least solid)

Sorry for my rant but id love to hear what do you all think we need to do to get a cup once lockout is over???

Edited by canuktravella, 06 December 2012 - 02:03 AM.

#2 GoodCanadianKideh

GoodCanadianKideh

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:51 AM

POPULAR

You lost me at Canuks...

#3 Bombastik der Teutone

Bombastik der Teutone

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,924 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

who haven´t LEARNED ..?

Edited by TheGermanCanuck, 02 December 2012 - 08:49 AM.

#4 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

Things i dont like that gillis has done.

1. Kept Raymond hes soft perimeter player not worth 2.3 mill cap hit in my eye

But yet any other team should want Raymond then?

Kinda hard to deal him when other teams know he is not worth his last contract.

#5 smithers joe

smithers joe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

i like gillis' hockey sense and vision...to win the cup, everything has to fall in to place at the right time...the team has to peak at the right time...they have to stay injury free....they need a hot goalie....they need their special teams firing on all cylinders and most of all they need a lot of luck...
dissect the past two seasons and you'll get your answer as to why we fell short....
only one team can win the cup each year....

#6 jatylo

jatylo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

You know what, I actually agree with canuk. The canucks are an amazing "team" we play the team game better than all of the other teams. What we don't have is the unpredictability, it is the same thing every shift cycle,cycle point goal. It works great during regular season when we only face the same team 2 times over 8 months.

When you play in the playoffs other teams have higher interest in scouting the other teams strength and weaknesses since they could play the same team 7 times in 2 weeks. Av needs to get the unpredictability in his coaching style, don't be afraid of splitting up the lines if nothing is clicking. Just do what ever you can so the other coach will have a hard time thinking for his next move.

Heart is obviously missing except these 3 players Burr,Kes,Lappy. I want to make this clear, I know the team playes with full effort and I know the Sedins play with all their heart. However they're more of a patient and wait for mistake player than rush/crash the net players like the three mentioned.

#7 TIGER SINGH

TIGER SINGH

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

Too long, could someone sum it up for me?
Posted Image
Thanks -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

#8 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,803 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

You know what, I actually agree with canuk. The canucks are an amazing "team" we play the team game better than all of the other teams. What we don't have is the unpredictability, it is the same thing every shift cycle,cycle point goal. It works great during regular season when we only face the same team 2 times over 8 months.

When you play in the playoffs other teams have higher interest in scouting the other teams strength and weaknesses since they could play the same team 7 times in 2 weeks. Av needs to get the unpredictability in his coaching style, don't be afraid of splitting up the lines if nothing is clicking. Just do what ever you can so the other coach will have a hard time thinking for his next move.

Heart is obviously missing except these 3 players Burr,Kes,Lappy. I want to make this clear, I know the team playes with full effort and I know the Sedins play with all their heart. However they're more of a patient and wait for mistake player than rush/crash the net players like the three mentioned.

But you're asking the leopard to change it's spots then. AV has his plan, and win or lose he sticks to his plan.

If you're in the playoffs and things aren't working. Take a gamble, put a young player who's doing well in the minors and put them him. But AV doesn't trust rookie players unless they are plugs. Hell he doesn't even trust some of his vets!

AV is part of the problem, he's not the solution. I think the only reason he hasn't been let go is because Gillis has not found anyone out there that has a better resume.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#9 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

3. Scouting isnt as good as it should be, we find odd gem like corrado thankfully hes gonna be a stud but we draft small players like schroeder hes 5'8 170 we need to draft 6'4 218 pound mean talented canadian kids not smurfettes. Time for new scouting staff and more whl kids (missed on lucic, fistric, griffith reinhart, ty rattie, dalton thrower, morgan reilly, ryan murray, mcilrath, howden these guys will be studs or at least solid)

We didn't miss out on any of these players really...
Lucic was projected 2nd round, and we didn't have a pick after 14th overall. Would have been a massive stretch to pick him there.
Fistric was picked almost right after Schneider was. Who would you rather have?
We picked Jensen over Rattie. Really no discrepancy between them right now.
We picked Gaunce over Thrower, again, certainly not a worse pick.
Rielly, Reinhart, Murray, and McIlrath were all picked long before we had a pick in that draft.
Only guy you could say we missed out on was Howden, but you do seem to like Ballard.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Edited by Jägermeister, 02 December 2012 - 11:30 AM.

Posted Image

#10 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

I don't think heart, grit or toughness is the problem with the Canucks. I think the problem is that after the 2011 Cup final they moved back toward a "tougher", more defensive system. The Canucks strength was speed, skill and transitional play. That's what brought them to the Cup Final. They should move back toward that.

The reason they lost in the Finals was because they ran out of healthy bodies.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#11 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

I don't think heart, grit or toughness is the problem with the Canucks. I think the problem is that after the 2011 Cup final they moved back toward a "tougher", more defensive system. The Canucks strength was speed, skill and transitional play. That's what brought them to the Cup Final. They should move back toward that.

The reason they lost in the Finals was because they ran out of healthy bodies.

Pretty much. Look at the Canuck injuries and look at the Bruins injury report; they had zero significant injuries. The odd broken nose or laceration, nothing that would terribly hinder your performance in any way.

Now of course King of the BS or someone else will come here and say we're making excuses, but they're wrong. The above is a completely valid reason why we lost and it should not be ignored.
Posted Image

#12 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,694 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

Pretty much. Look at the Canuck injuries and look at the Bruins injury report; they had zero significant injuries. The odd broken nose or laceration, nothing that would terribly hinder your performance in any way.

Now of course King of the BS or someone else will come here and say we're making excuses, but they're wrong. The above is a completely valid reason why we lost and it should not be ignored.

I believe the terminology which will be used is, "playing not at 100%"...

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#13 JHansenFan

JHansenFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

Aren't you the guy that makes a new moronic proposal thread every day, and than you try to claim you're just having some fun because of the lockout. I'm starting to sense that it's less because your bored because there is no hockey... and more because you have absolutely no hockey sense. Players like Reinhart and Reilly were picked in the top 5. Hey bro did you also know we missed out on Tyler Seguin, Taylor Hall, Nail Yakupov, RNH, and Steven Stamkos? It's not our scouting staff's fault that those players are top 5 players... and we are a president trophy winner. Also do you know sentences can be in one complete line, and an
"enter" doesn't
have to be hit every
couple words, because it just looks stupid. What is funny is that you put Dylan McIlrath in that mix, and the NYR are seriously slapping themselves as hard as they can in the face right now, because they picked the mean and big defensemen over the skilled puck mover in Cam Fowler? Size over skill you may think, but in the new NHL that really does not matter as it used to. The Canucks haven't had a top 10 pick in around 4-5 years... and as easy as you may think it is, looking back on drafts.... it really is harder when you have to project what these kids will turn out like in 5-10 years. We also missed out on Shea Weber for that matter. I don't know what bantam team you play for, but since you play in bantam you are grade 8-9. In minor hockey now coaches and the organization as a matter of fact, look down upon fights in hockey. Here is my two cents for you, and hopefully you will put this loose change in your pocket and never let it fall out. Never make a thread again with so many spelling errors, space's in the wrong place. As a matter of fact just don't make threads at all, because all of them are terrible, and you need a couple decades to mature before you start posting threads every couple days.

Posted Image
Sick Sig Made By: allons-y

#14 canuktravella

canuktravella

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

jhansen your missing the point our drafting sucks lets look at the last 24 yrs
89' 6th overall jason herter bust.
90' nedved 2nd overall shawn antoski 18th overall missed on jagr primeau.
91' 7th overall stojanov bust but awesome that we got nazzy for him.
92' 21st overall libor polasek bust.
93' 20th overall mike wilson bust.
94' 13th overall ohlund good pick, stud.
95' 40th overall chris mccallister bust, never heard of him.
96' 12th overall josh holden bust,career minor leaguer.
97' 10th overall brad ference ok 5/6 dman.
98' 4th overall bryan allen ok pick good top four d.
99' 2nd 3rd sedin brother awesome picks.
00' 23rd nathan smith bust.
01' 16th umberger decent if he had played in van.
02' every pick we drafted never made nhl except brent skinner.
03' 23rd kesler stud goid pick.
04' 26th schneider 91edler good draft yr.
05' 10th bourdon woulda been good.
06' 15th grabner was good never given a chance in van really.
07' 25th patrick white wat a crapty pick who thought that one up.
08' 10th hodgson good pick except drama.
09' 22nd schroeder decent except for him being smurf size.
10' 115th overal mcnally probably a bust.
11' 29th jensen nice pick corrado steal at 150th
12' 26th gaunce to early to tell

pretty bad record if u ask me .

#15 canuktravella

canuktravella

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:21 AM

btw cam fowler is overated and id rather have tanev look at his plus minus, hes awful.

Edited by canuktravella, 03 December 2012 - 07:24 AM.

#16 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,020 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

But yet any other team should want Raymond then?

Kinda hard to deal him when other teams know he is not worth his last contract.

how the hell is McNally "probably a bust"

#17 canuktravella

canuktravella

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

not sure ive never heard of him is he any good?

#18 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,655 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

i like gillis' hockey sense and vision...to win the cup, everything has to fall in to place at the right time...the team has to peak at the right time...they have to stay injury free....they need a hot goalie....they need their special teams firing on all cylinders and most of all they need a lot of luck...
dissect the past two seasons and you'll get your answer as to why we fell short....
only one team can win the cup each year...

This.

There isn't any magic formula on paper that guarantees a cup. "We should have done this or that" is hindsight and the boys have had to work around some precarious situations. What other team has a ref skate around with a player pre-game to basically say I'm watching you? We just don't get away with punishing other teams like they do to us...it's just how it is and until our guys lay low for awhile and this passes, it means we have to play by the books. I agree...I like it when our guys immediately react to dirty plays but we always get the short end of the stick. No whining, just facts. It seems to be improving a bit, but that's just how it's been and, for a couple of years, our guys were shellshocked by it. Didn't know HOW to react because they risked getting thrown out.

Injuries have also come into play - no denying it.

I like this team and how they've consistently managed to contend I think they're learning as they go and will adjust accordingly. Sure, we could use some more girt and size but if the skill level isn't there, it's a wasted roster spot.

But Joe said it best ^

Posted Image

#19 canuktravella

canuktravella

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

i disagree we need a scary 4th line that can play hit and fight like jim sandlak back in the day. Teams have learnt that you can walk all over our star players hack slash hit punch anything and theres no repercussions. id have rather wasted 2.3 mill cap space on signing george parros and matt martin than resigning raymond we need to scare other teams with hits and physicality. Our defense in last yrs playoffs played cute and didnt take the man in front of the net and guess what we almost were swept. Until this changes canucks will never win a cup ever.

#20 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,055 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

btw cam fowler is overated and id rather have tanev look at his plus minus, hes awful.

No. Cam Fowler is not over rated and I would take him over Tanev in a heartbeat if I had a choice.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#21 JHansenFan

JHansenFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

What does our record of the last 24 years have to do with a MG regime. Are you saying our scouting staff has been the same for those years? MG came in with his own staff and upgraded prospect development and it will take a while to actually see the results. However just by looking at players as you said corrado, KC, Gaunce, Jensen, and pickups like Lack. I would say our scouting record is pretty decent now. The correlation between the last 24 years doesn't have anything to do with our current staff. It is you who is missing the point.

Posted Image

#22 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,597 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

i disagree  we need a scary 4th line that can play hit and fight   like  jim sandlak back in the day. Teams have learnt that you can walk all over our star players hack slash hit punch anything and theres no repercussions.        id have rather   wasted 2.3 mill cap space on signing george parros  and  matt martin  than resigning raymond  we  need to scare other teams  with hits and physicality.     Our defense in last yrs playoffs played cute and didnt take the man in front of the net  and guess what we almost were swept.  Until this changes   canucks will never win a cup ever.

The Canucks should hire you to fix their team, seems like you have all the answers.Note: Very difficult for sarcasm to come through on here.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#23 canuktravella

canuktravella

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

ya well our propect poole isnt that good gillis has a few gems but i wouldnt say hes hit home runs

o and ya fowlers awful https://www.facebook..._count=1&ref=nf
definately not worth 4mill a yr ever

#24 canuktravella

canuktravella

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

hes minus 53 in his first two seasons should be ahl not bigs

#25 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

Nobody in the world would agree with you on this.
Posted Image

#26 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,055 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

hes minus 53 in his first two seasons should be ahl not bigs

Because +/- determines how good a player is....Listen, I don't know what your beef with Fowler is all about, he is one of the best young D men in the NHL and pretty much every hockey analyst would agree with me.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#27 JHansenFan

JHansenFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

Lmao. Your going to ignore my post because I have you by the short and curlys? Nice. Fowler is a offensive minded d. He needs years to develop his defensive game, and this is what makes him so special. As coaches will say... " you can teach defence, but you can't teach someone offense".

Your points are absolute trash. If we couldn't draft our team wouldn't have so many of our own picks on our team. The Hansen, Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Kesler, Bieksa, Edler, Schneider, Raymond, and Weise. Most of these are core players who we have drafted in the past ten or so years or signed minus the twins. Our scouting is bad? You have no proof of that. Not every draft pick is going to play in the show, and while its expected to hit NHL players with your first two picks its not an exact science.

Seriously where do you see the relationship between the past twenty four years and our current scouting staff? They had a couple bad picks, but in general have done a fine job in giving us role players as they sit at the last line of the draft. You could make a stretch for the past ten... But not twenty four. As I said before learn the game of hockey and than post. However I think that will take a very long time in your case.

Posted Image

#28 canuktravella

canuktravella

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

shut it hansen you dont know crap any team that drafts players like patrick white and jason herter is gonna fail. Gillis is doing better but we definately dont have the best draft scout in the league. Detroit used to, nashvile is amazing at developing stud dmen ryan ellis is next in line for them. ya last year hockey hews ranked our prospects 28 out of 30 teams really solid.
https://www.facebook..._count=1&ref=nf

#29 JHansenFan

JHansenFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

shut it hansen you dont know crap any team that drafts players like patrick white and jason herter is gonna fail. Gillis is doing better but we definately dont have the best draft scout in the league. Detroit used to, nashvile is amazing at developing stud dmen ryan ellis is next in line for them. ya last year hockey hews ranked our prospects 28 out of 30 teams really solid.

How would you suggest that we are failing right now? By winning back to back President trophies. Perhaps when we won the Jennings trophy? Or how about when we made it to the Stanley Cup Finals and we fell apart when Hamhuis got injured?

I really don't know anything, but obviously you have a gift of hindsight for the draft. Why don't you make a prediction about some of the steals in the later rounds for the 2013 draft right now instead of waiting 4-5 years after. Everyone is a brilliant scout when they can look back on the draft, and say who they would have chosen, or who they wouldn't have taken. However when you are actually making that pick, you have absolutely no clue who will turn out where. For example Chara was the most horrendous skater, and no one could have known he would have turned into the animal he is today. Wait sorry you could have right ! Canucks should really hire you to tell them who they should have drafted in the previous years.

#OMGZSHOULDADRAFTEDKOPITAR.

Our team does not have the best scouts, but our scouts find different gems than Detroit's scouts would. We took Edler one pick before Detroit would have taken him, and he has developed into one of our top four defensemen. Patrick White was turned into Christian Ehrhoff... and i noticed that you said Stojanov was a bust, but a great pick because he turned into Naslund. Would the same theory not apply in the Ehrhoff scenario? Lastly in order to make pretty much your entire points void... how does a new scouting team who just started for a team get blamed for something that happened as far back as twenty four years ago. That's like starting a new job and getting blamed for an employee's mistake two decades back. Where is the logic in that.... That is exactly what I mean when I say that your posts are not thought out, and the supporting facts around them are as unstable as a straw house.

Last point I would love to touch on is how would you expect the Canucks to get Nashville's defensemen.

2004-2005 draft: We took Luc Bourdon over Ryan Parent (We had an earlier pick than Nashville).
2005-2006 draft: We took Michael Grabner over Nashville's traded first round pick.
2006-2007 draft: We took Patrick White and Nashville took Jon Blum. (Did I mention we had a 25th overall pick vs their 23rd?)
2007-2008 draft: We took Cody Hodgson in the first round and Nashville took Roman Josi (No arguments there Hodgson>Josi)
2008-2009 draft: We took Jordan Schroeder and Nashville took Ryan Ellis (We picked 25th overall and they picked 11th)
2009-2010 draft: Nothing of note. Both of our teams didn't have any noticeable picks in the first two rounds.
2010-2011 draft: We took Nicklas Jensen, and Nashville took Salomaki in the second round (No arguments)
2011-2012 draft: Nashville does not have a first round pick, and we took Brendan Gaunce.

Where was there a chance for us to take Ryan Ellis. That's like saying MG missed out on Taylor Hall, Nail Yakupov, and RNH. You don't understand there was never an opportunity to take them. Now please explain in detail what I don't know about hockey. Would be appreciated, and I will do my best to work on that particular aspect in order to make my posts more knowledgable.

Posted Image

#30 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

We rank 28/30 but we are also a winning team. Winning teams don't get high picks unless they trade away their core, which a winning team does not do.

Ok i like mike gillis, he has made some good moves to get this team 2 president trophies in a row but... I dont think he has addressed the problems that plague our team.

So we missed out on all these players because of bad scouting? I didn't know having low picks in the first round is a result of bad scouting?

The Canucks did have awful scouting in their early years as a franchise but it has nothing to do with what Mike Gillis has done. This thread is on Mike Gillis and the moves you like/dislike. As a GM, Gillis has done a better job at drafting. Instead of taking a random handful of busts over the last 24 years, I will take a look at picks during Gillis' tenure.

2008 Draft
10. Cody Hodgson - good pick. Moved for Kassian which is a good result. Moved a good prospect for another good prospect who fits the teams needs better.
41. Yann Sauve - Physical defenseman who looks good in his games with the Wolves this year. Could turn into another good defenseman for us.
131. Prab Rai - Rai will most likely be a career ECHL/AHLer. Wouldn't call it a bust. He was a decent pick as a near PPG player in the WHL.
161. Mats Froshaug - No longer our property as he did not come over to North America. Don't have much info on him.
191. Morgan Clark - poor numbers in the CHL. Not our property any more.

2/5 players that will be NHLers. If we had a 3rd and 4th round pick this year, we could have another decent prospect.

2009 Draft
22. Jordan Schroeder - good pick IMO. Top 10 talent but undersized. He looks good with the Wolves this year and could be in our top 9 in the near future.
53. Anton Rodin - has looked very good lately. I think he will develop into another top 9 forward for us.
83. Kevin Connauton - next power play quarterback. Has an immature defensive game that can be developed and will be a servicable defenseman in the future.
113. Jeremy Price - good two way defenseman in the ECAC. I expect him to be a good depth defenseman in the future.
143. Peter Andersson - Good two way defenseman that could turn into a really solid top six for us in the future.
173. Joe Cannata - He is our next AHL starter/NHL back up. Possible 1b goaltender but a good pick in a late round.
197. Steven Anthony - I doubt he will be more than an AHLer. Late round pick but not a waste.

6/7 players in a draft. I think our first six picks will have some kind of impact with the big club. Minor league will see these guys for another couple years.

2010 Draft
115. Patrick McNally - 4th round pick that could turn into an NHL defenseman.
142. Adam Polasek - Probably an AHL/NHL depth defenseman. Not a bad pick.
172. Alex Friesen - Hard to tell. Could be our Brad Marchand - could be a bust.
175. Johnathan Ilihatti - Will not be a factor.
202. Sawyer Hannay - Ditto.

Difficult draft for us since we didn't have a 1st, 2nd or 3rd round pick.

2011 & 2012 drafts are promising but too early to tell. I think your analysis of poor drafting is incorrect. A better statement would be "we are a winning team and are unable to draft top 5 talent".

hL9YqYN.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.