shut it hansen you dont know crap any team that drafts players like patrick white and jason herter is gonna fail. Gillis is doing better but we definately dont have the best draft scout in the league. Detroit used to, nashvile is amazing at developing stud dmen ryan ellis is next in line for them. ya last year hockey hews ranked our prospects 28 out of 30 teams really solid.
We rank 28/30 but we are also a winning team. Winning teams don't get high picks unless they trade away their core, which a winning team does not do
Ok i like mike gillis, he has made some good moves to get this team 2 president trophies in a row but... I dont think he has addressed the problems that plague our team.
3. Scouting isnt as good as it should be, we find odd gem like corrado thankfully hes gonna be a stud but we draft small players like schroeder hes 5'8 170 we need to draft 6'4 218 pound mean talented canadian kids not smurfettes. Time for new scouting staff and more whl kids (missed on lucic, fistric, griffith reinhart, ty rattie, dalton thrower, morgan reilly, ryan murray, mcilrath, howden these guys will be studs or at least solid)
So we missed out on all these players because of bad scouting? I didn't know having low picks in the first round is a result of bad scouting?
jhansen your missing the point our drafting sucks lets look at the last 24 yrs
89' 6th overall jason herter bust.
90' nedved 2nd overall shawn antoski 18th overall missed on jagr primeau.
91' 7th overall stojanov bust but awesome that we got nazzy for him.
92' 21st overall libor polasek bust.
93' 20th overall mike wilson bust.
94' 13th overall ohlund good pick, stud.
95' 40th overall chris mccallister bust, never heard of him.
96' 12th overall josh holden bust,career minor leaguer.
97' 10th overall brad ference ok 5/6 dman.
98' 4th overall bryan allen ok pick good top four d.
99' 2nd 3rd sedin brother awesome picks.
00' 23rd nathan smith bust.
01' 16th umberger decent if he had played in van.
02' every pick we drafted never made nhl except brent skinner.
03' 23rd kesler stud goid pick.
04' 26th schneider 91edler good draft yr.
05' 10th bourdon woulda been good.
06' 15th grabner was good never given a chance in van really.
07' 25th patrick white wat a crapty pick who thought that one up.
08' 10th hodgson good pick except drama.
09' 22nd schroeder decent except for him being smurf size.
10' 115th overal mcnally probably a bust.
11' 29th jensen nice pick corrado steal at 150th
12' 26th gaunce to early to tell
pretty bad record if u ask me .
The Canucks did have awful scouting in their early years as a franchise but it has nothing to do with what Mike Gillis
has done. This thread is on Mike Gillis and the moves you like/dislike. As a GM, Gillis has done a better job at drafting. Instead of taking a random handful of busts over the last 24 years, I will take a look at picks during Gillis' tenure.2008 Draft
10. Cody Hodgson - good pick. Moved for Kassian which is a good result. Moved a good prospect for another good prospect who fits the teams needs better.
41. Yann Sauve - Physical defenseman who looks good in his games with the Wolves this year. Could turn into another good defenseman for us.
131. Prab Rai - Rai will most likely be a career ECHL/AHLer. Wouldn't call it a bust. He was a decent pick as a near PPG player in the WHL.
161. Mats Froshaug - No longer our property as he did not come over to North America. Don't have much info on him.
191. Morgan Clark - poor numbers in the CHL. Not our property any more.
2/5 players that will be NHLers. If we had a 3rd and 4th round pick this year, we could have another decent prospect.2009 Draft
22. Jordan Schroeder - good pick IMO. Top 10 talent but undersized. He looks good with the Wolves this year and could be in our top 9 in the near future.
53. Anton Rodin - has looked very good lately. I think he will develop into another top 9 forward for us.
83. Kevin Connauton - next power play quarterback. Has an immature defensive game that can be developed and will be a servicable defenseman in the future.
113. Jeremy Price - good two way defenseman in the ECAC. I expect him to be a good depth defenseman in the future.
143. Peter Andersson - Good two way defenseman that could turn into a really solid top six for us in the future.
173. Joe Cannata - He is our next AHL starter/NHL back up. Possible 1b goaltender but a good pick in a late round.
197. Steven Anthony - I doubt he will be more than an AHLer. Late round pick but not a waste.
6/7 players in a draft. I think our first six picks will have some kind of impact with the big club. Minor league will see these guys for another couple years.2010 Draft
115. Patrick McNally - 4th round pick that could turn into an NHL defenseman.
142. Adam Polasek - Probably an AHL/NHL depth defenseman. Not a bad pick.
172. Alex Friesen - Hard to tell. Could be our Brad Marchand - could be a bust.
175. Johnathan Ilihatti - Will not be a factor.
202. Sawyer Hannay - Ditto.
Difficult draft for us since we didn't have a 1st, 2nd or 3rd round pick.
2011 & 2012 drafts are promising but too early to tell. I think your analysis of poor drafting is incorrect. A better statement would be "we are a winning team and are unable to draft top 5 talent".