106 replies to this topic

#31 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

Lack of heart, biggest problem is our star players arent being protected the team motto is if u hurt our players we'll hurt you on the powerplay guess what bruins beat on sedins and guess what we never scored crap on powerplay we actually gave up like 4 short handed goals in that series!!!
This team did nothing to marchant when he rag dolled sedin. If i had been on the ice in bantam and someone did that to our star player i would grabbed him and at least stood up for him thats called heart. this team lacks it. Another example Duncan Keith intentionally injures sedin and hes out rest a yr theres a bit of a scrum but no one does anything. When the lockout is over we need to sign some mean players our 4th line should be feared (parros woulda been perfect signing but florida grabbed him dammit hes tough and can play)

We've already tried signing tough guys to play on our 4th line and that has never really worked out for us. You see guys like Hordichuk or Weise or Bitz playing in our 4th line and they try to bring intimidation but they end up taking stupid penalties. They don't do anything for our team but just waste a roster spot. Rypien imo was probably the best we've had since. If you wanted guys who had heart and size and can intimidate the other team, you can look no further than Raffi Torres. Huge hits, plays with heart, and its great that he can score too. That was a guy that helped our team physically. Travis Moen as well. You're asking for Gillis to go after fighters that won't do anything in the playoffs except fight or create stupid penalties so the other team can go on the PP. That's not a great formula for success. I'm sure you know that our motto is that "if you wanna beat us, you gotta outscore us."

Secondly since we let willy mitchell go we havent had a mean shutdown dman please get one that instills fear into oppositions offense.

If it weren't for his health issues, Mitchell would still be a Canuck. But at the time, nobody knew if he would ever recover from that concussion that he got from Malkin. Also, he was asking for a wee bit too much money at his current state of health at that time. Tell me, if someone is coming back from concussion and he's asking for a lot of money, would you re-sign him? Probably not. And no, you can't use Crosby as an example because Crosby is a franchise player and anyone in their right mind would re-sign him in a heartbeat.

Heres some things i love that Gillis has done.

Kassian for Hodgson- kassians gonna be a beast in a few yrs power forward and no drama
i think zach has as much talent as hodgson is youngen and doesnt
have meddling parents. hodgson parents are like lindros's.

lol Kassian is nowhere near where Hodgson will be. Sure we have a power forward and I'm hoping for the best in Kassian but when we were rolling in January and February, that trade was a shocker. What happened in the playoffs? Kassian and Gragnani was scratched. Had little to no effect for us. This is Gillis hoping that Kassian would develop into a blue chip prospect.

3. Scouting isnt as good as it should be, we find odd gem like corrado thankfully hes gonna be a stud but we draft small players like schroeder hes 5'8 170 we need to draft 6'4 218 pound mean talented canadian kids not smurfettes. Time for new scouting staff and more whl kids (missed on lucic, fistric, griffith reinhart, ty rattie, dalton thrower, morgan reilly, ryan murray, mcilrath, howden these guys will be studs or at least solid)

The guys you mention are top 10 prospects that only rebuilding teams would snag. If we were to trade up into those picks, we'd have to give up pretty much Schroeder or Schneider or Kesler. Someone that can help their team now. And we aren't gonna do that. Our scouting staff has changed since Gillis came in and if you've noticed, the guys we've signed via FA, the undrafted players, and the players we draft, they all have high hockey IQ and are smart enough to develop into a good hockey player. We're patient enough to wait on guys like Jensen or Gaunce or Schroeder or Connaughton because we know that they're smart people and that it takes time to develop into a Johan Franzen or a Patrice Bergeron type player.. Our scouting staff has actually improved.

And I bet you've never heard of Frankie Corrado until recently because of all the media attention he's been getting recently.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#32 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:23 AM

hes minus 53 in his first two seasons should be ahl not bigs

So hypothetically, if there was an NHL season going on right now, Ryan Murray would be playing for the Columbus Blue Jackets. I'm almost certain he'd be in their top 6 right now. And hypothetically, he has a minus rating, which wouldn't surprise me because of how terrible Columbus is, would you say you'd take anyone over Ryan Murray based on their +/-? Murray and Fowler are two of the games top upcoming offensive defensemen and they'll eventually become the next Erik Karlsson or Kris Letang or Mike Green, give or take a few years. How come yo u're not criticizing the fact that Mike Green still can't, and will never be able to play defence yet he's being paid 6 mil a year. Why? Because he's a premier offensive defenseman that the Caps rely on, and their team is based off of run and gun offence, well, aside from the Dale Hunter era.. But back when Boudreau was the coach, Mike Green was a highly touted offensive defenceman.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#33 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,321 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:25 AM

i disagree we need a scary 4th line that can play hit and fight like jim sandlak back in the day. Teams have learnt that you can walk all over our star players hack slash hit punch anything and theres no repercussions. id have rather wasted 2.3 mill cap space on signing george parros and matt martin than resigning raymond we need to scare other teams with hits and physicality. Our defense in last yrs playoffs played cute and didnt take the man in front of the net and guess what we almost were swept. Until this changes canucks will never win a cup ever.

Pinnozotto - Lapierre - Kassian

That's a good tough Canadian 4th line.

Subbancopy.jpg

#34 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:22 AM

How exactly did we lose out on Ryan Murray and Morgan Reilly when they were chosen 2nd and 5th overall respectively...we had the 26th pick...

And please, as much as I don't like Brad Marchand....at least learn to spell his name correctly.

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#35 canuktravella

canuktravella

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:18 AM

markus hordichuk and weise are garbage bitz was ok when he played like 8 games for us he could score hit and fight parris could do the same. I want our fourth line to bring the physicality to other teams and if someone does take liberties on sedins there will be a effective response.

i actually watched a bit of ohl and whl last yr loved corrado and thrower and lazar. mcdavid is crazy good or being 15 in two yrs hes gonna be unreal hes averaging a point a game hes the must exciting youngster ive seen in long time so fast on puck and strong.
laps and kassian are not fourth liners 3rd and can fill in second if needed be.
kassian will do good with this season in ahl but may get called up well see i guess if we have a season.
pinnozotto isnt gonna play on canucks this yr hes injury prone due the the fact he plays hard and bigger than his body causing it to break.

marchand doesnt deserve his name spelled right just like his tatoo.

Edited by canuktravella, 06 December 2012 - 01:59 AM.

#36 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:38 AM

how can the scouting be that bad when we have drafted players like the Sedins, Edler, Bieksa, Kesler, Hansen, Schnieder, etc.

Sure we don't have a star prospect but it's tough to get one when your already a top team ;)

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#37 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

markus hordichuk and weise are garbage bitz was ok when he played like 8 games for us he could score hit and fight parris could do the same. I want our fourth line to bring the physicality to other teams and if someone does take liberties on sedins there will be a effective response.

i actually watched a bit of ohl and whl last yr loved corrado and thrower and lazar. mcdavid is crazy good or being 15 in two yrs hes gonna be unreal hes averaging a point a game hes the must exciting youngster ive seen in long time so fast on puck and strong.
kassian will do good with this season in ahl but may get called up well see i guess if we have a season.
pinnozotto isnt gonna play on canucks this yr hes injury prone due the the fact he plays hard and bigger than his body causing it to break.

marchand doesnt deserve his name spelled right just like his tatoo. i hate that guy frack spelling btw

Finding three guys for our 4th line who can hit, fight, and score is quite tough you know. You'd be lucky to find one or two. And when Malhotra was his usual self before his injury, Lapierre was a 4th liner. But since Malhotra can't do much since his eye injury, he's a 3rd liner. Lapierre has and will always be a 4th liner. He was when he was with Anaheim. And he was when he was with Montreal.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Posted Image

^Truth

#38 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,730 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

marchand doesnt deserve his name spelled right just like his tatoo. i hate that guy frack spelling btw

Who the frack is Markus Hordichuk?

Posted Image

STHS Hockey League - Brooklyn Beavers GM

#39 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,117 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

Yes, our draft has been quite hit and miss. Of course it is always under the microscope here. If you compare draft records with Detroit since 2005 (We'll use Detroit because everyone touts how good they are), they have had at least 13 players since with at least 1 game played with a combined average of 19 points. Where as the Canucks have only 8 players but with a combined average of 37 points.

Canucks have faired better this in small comparison. Or have they? Considering Hodgson and Grabner are now gone, and possibly Raymond. Without them -- those numbers fall to almost zero. And with that said, the Canucks have NOTHING to show in the NHL as a result of their drafting from the last half 7 years -- pretty sad.
Posted Image

#40 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

Pretty much. Look at the Canuck injuries and look at the Bruins injury report; they had zero significant injuries. The odd broken nose or laceration, nothing that would terribly hinder your performance in any way.

Now of course King of the BS or someone else will come here and say we're making excuses, but they're wrong. The above is a completely valid reason why we lost and it should not be ignored.

Were they only injured in Boston, than? Looked like two completely different teams, depending upon which city the game was taking place in.

#41 canuktravella

canuktravella

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

totally agreed torts but all these others seem to think our drafting is amazing
gillis has done ok lately but he needs to draft big canadian players not smurks like schroeder
corrado and jensen will be a studs hopefully kc and sauve work out as well

Edited by debluvscanucks, 05 December 2012 - 09:36 PM.

#42 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

i disagree we need a scary 4th line that can play hit and fight like jim sandlak back in the day. Teams have learnt that you can walk all over our star players hack slash hit punch anything and theres no repercussions. id have rather wasted 2.3 mill cap space on signing george parros and matt martin than resigning raymond we need to scare other teams with hits and physicality. Our defense in last yrs playoffs played cute and didnt take the man in front of the net and guess what we almost were swept. Until this changes canucks will never win a cup ever.

Great post.

It's pretty obvious that if the Canucks aren't the softest team in the entire NHL, they're in the discussion. Duncan Keith does what he does, no pushback whatsoever. Joe Thornton blatantly disrespects Captain Henrik at center ice, nothing. I'm surprised the Canucks didn't go over and ask for Joe's autograph, if anything.

The team's too soft, when the heat gets turned up they tend to fold. Just like what happened in Boston, just like what very nearly happened in round 1 of that same year.

#43 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

shut it hansen you dont know crap any team that drafts players like patrick white and jason herter is gonna fail. Gillis is doing better but we definately dont have the best draft scout in the league. Detroit used to, nashvile is amazing at developing stud dmen ryan ellis is next in line for them. ya last year hockey hews ranked our prospects 28 out of 30 teams really solid.
https://www.facebook..._count=1&ref=nf

Gillis is certainly not doing better. Not a single draft pick of his is playing for this team.

This team is still very largely Nonis/Burke's creation.

#44 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,010 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

Gillis is certainly not doing better. Not a single draft pick of his is playing for this team.

This team is still very largely Nonis/Burke's creation.

Hodgson - MG flipped him for Kassian
Grabner - arguably Gillis's worst trade as Vancouver's GM
Jensen - Will more than likely be on the team if not this year then next year
Tanev - Undrafted free agent. Looks like he will be a very solid D man
Connauton - Will be on the team next year
Schroeder - Would've been on the team if there wasn't a lockout
Lack - Unless the Canucks sign Dan Ellis, Eddie will back up Schneider once Luongo is traded

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#45 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

We've already tried signing tough guys to play on our 4th line and that has never really worked out for us. You see guys like Hordichuk or Weise or Bitz playing in our 4th line and they try to bring intimidation but they end up taking stupid penalties.

Hordichuk was pretty good. He was at least a moderate deterrent. Weise and Bitz are both totally useless.

The Canucks need a deterrent, pretty clearly. Look at all the cheap shots! Do you think it's a coincidence that they've been done to us? Guys like Burrows, Kesler, Lapierre, etc., running their mouths, pissing off the other team, nobody to back them up. Parros would've been nice.

#46 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

Hodgson - MG flipped him for Kassian
Grabner - arguably Gillis's worst trade as Vancouver's GM
Jensen - Will more than likely be on the team if not this year then next year
Tanev - Undrafted free agent. Looks like he will be a very solid D man
Connauton - Will be on the team next year
Schroeder - Would've been on the team if there wasn't a lockout
Lack - Unless the Canucks sign Dan Ellis, Eddie will back up Schneider once Luongo is traded

Grabner was not drafted by Mike Gillis.

#47 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,117 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

Were they only injured in Boston, than? Looked like two completely different teams, depending upon which city the game was taking place in.

I don't know what the hell happened in Boston. I don't think anyone has any real explanation for that.

The one thing that was consistent was their lack of scoring and without a doubt that had to do with injuries to an extent.
Posted Image

#48 JHansenFan

JHansenFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

jhansen your missing the point our drafting sucks lets look at the last 24 yrs

08' 10th hodgson good pick except drama.
09' 22nd schroeder decent except for him being smurf size.
10' 115th overal mcnally probably a bust.
11' 29th jensen nice pick corrado steal at 150th
12' 26th gaunce to early to tell

pretty bad record if u ask me .

countered by:

totally agreed torts but all these other retards seem to think our drafting is amazing
gillis has done ok lately but he needs to draft big canadian players not smurks like schroeder
corrado and jensen will be a studs hopefully kc and sauve work out as well

Contradicted again by:

van future d is exciting
connauton is gonna be comparable to mike green, and i see similairities of corrado to niedermayer hopefully

finally countered again by:

ya well our propect poole isnt that good gillis has a few gems but i wouldnt say hes hit home runs

o and ya fowlers awful https://www.facebook..._count=1&ref=nf
definately not worth 4mill a yr ever

So exactly what is your point... is our drafting okay or bad or amazing? I'm confused because you say that Gillis does not hit home runs with our picks, yet you think Jensen and Corrado will be "studs". Is that not considered a home run pick, and if Corrado does make the NHL last season as you predicted, would you not say that is a home run fifth round draft pick. I personally consider Green and Niedermayer to be absolute beasts. Also notice he says he hopes KC will work out, but then if KC is like Mike Green... than I would consider ourselves very lucky. Wouldn't you CDC?

or perhaps this

sign arnott 2yr 1.8mill per

corrado mceneny 2 yrs away

countered by:

Read the article on gills talking about corrado i could see him playing next yr up on the bigs gillis even said he wants players like him to help with cap hits on team. Hes on team canada camp and probably will make the team.

Not to mention joke posts like this:

btw cam fowler is overated and id rather have tanev look at his plus minus, hes awful.

King of ES. This is why his posts should never be referred to as a "great post". I wish i could argue 4 different sides of the same argument... and get everyone to agree with me. If you want me to take you on in an argument please just leave me a message on this thread, and I will gladly break down everything you said right there. I appreciate how your posts are neater and more organized than CanukTravella's, but I don't agree with your opinion. I spent enough time on this post however when I should be studying for my English final, so if you want leave me a message and i'll have a retort for you for all your arguments no later than Saturday Night. Cheers.

Posted Image
Sick Sig Made By: allons-y

#49 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

lol Kassian is nowhere near where Hodgson will be. Sure we have a power forward and I'm hoping for the best in Kassian but when we were rolling in January and February, that trade was a shocker. What happened in the playoffs? Kassian and Gragnani was scratched. Had little to no effect for us.

Hodgson only played 12 games for us in the 2011 playoffs and didn't play a single game in the finals, what's your point? He also had a grand total of 1 point in those 12 games.

Kassian has tons of potential I really don't get why people think it was such a lopsided trade, Hodgson was never going to be more than a 3rd line centre here with Henrik and Kesler on the top 2

#50 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

Luongo was the only player who had good games in the finals, he had 3 good games and 4 horrible games. everyone else had 7 horrible games (alright i guess game 2 wasn't bad we scored 3 goals)

Edited by Primus099, 05 December 2012 - 08:28 PM.

#51 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

King of ES. This is why his posts should never be referred to as a "great post". I wish i could argue 4 different sides of the same argument... and get everyone to agree with me. If you want me to take you on in an argument please just leave me a message on this thread, and I will gladly break down everything you said right there. I appreciate how your posts are neater and more organized than CanukTravella's, but I don't agree with your opinion. I spent enough time on this post however when I should be studying for my English final, so if you want leave me a message and i'll have a retort for you for all your arguments no later than Saturday Night. Cheers.

I was solely referring to his post that stated that the Canucks need a deterrent, which they pretty clearly do, IMO.

#52 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

Kassian has tons of potential I really don't get why people think it was such a lopsided trade, Hodgson was never going to be more than a 3rd line centre here with Henrik and Kesler on the top 2

Never?

I guess Hank and Kesler have figured out how to stop time, and not age?

#53 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

Luongo was the only player who had good games in the finals, he had 3 good games and 4 horrible games. everyone else had 7 horrible games (alright i guess game 2 wasn't bad we scored 3 goals)

Oh well, that's allowed. They were...injured.

:bigblush:

#54 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

Never?

Hank and Kes (barring injuries) are still going to be playing for a good 7-8 years at least, if I were Hodgson I wouldn't want to just be stuck as a 3rd liner for that long

#55 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

Who the frack is Markus Hordichuk?

Markus, referring to me, and then he starts by saying Hordichuk is blah blah blah

Hordichuk was pretty good. He was at least a moderate deterrent. Weise and Bitz are both totally useless.

The Canucks need a deterrent, pretty clearly. Look at all the cheap shots! Do you think it's a coincidence that they've been done to us? Guys like Burrows, Kesler, Lapierre, etc., running their mouths, pissing off the other team, nobody to back them up. Parros would've been nice.

Hordi wasn't bad, but he isn't the prototypical "deterrent" as you call it, that we need, in terms of what this canuk guy wants.

Hodgson only played 12 games for us in the 2011 playoffs and didn't play a single game in the finals, what's your point? He also had a grand total of 1 point in those 12 games.

You know why Hodgson didn't play a game in the Finals? It's because he wasn't considered a regular until he actually made the team the following year. That year during our magical run, Hodgson was still a sub-in and wasn't considered a good offensive player to play on a nightly basis until he finally made the team. Kassian? He got here and was automatically a nightly player up until the playoffs.

Yes, Kassian has tons of potential but until I see that he's consistent, then I'll start believing. But since he got here, he hasn't done enough to prove me wrong. If Kassian doesn't turn out to be who we expect him to be, that will be one of the worst deals that Gillis has made in his tenure here.

Never?

Haha agreed.

Hank and Kes (barring injuries) are still going to be playing for a good 7-8 years at least, if I were Hodgson I wouldn't want to just be stuck as a 3rd liner for that long

He wouldn't BE on the 3rd line C because Lapierre's got that. If he was still here, our lineup would look like this

Sedins-Burrows
Hodgson-Kesler-Booth
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Raymond-Malhotra-4th liner

Sure you can swap Higgins and Hodgson and Booth around but Hodgson would definitely be top 6. Only reason he was 3rd line C was because, I guess AV didn't want him facing top defenders and wanted him to improve his defensive side of the game.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Posted Image

^Truth

#56 Malkin Cookies

Malkin Cookies

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

I wish i could fix all of your spelling mistakes but there are way too many..

qrj53a.jpg

Thanks to VC

#57 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:32 AM

I really think MG's done well to adjust his team so it would have more of the gritty, physical guys with skill necessary to get it done in the playoffs and muck out wins (Burr, the whole second line, Hansen and Lapierre, Weise, KASSIAN should factor pretty significantly in the near future and hopefully Gaunce, Mallet, Jensen etc. will be able to join in up front soon) instead of PURELY skilled guys (e.g. Hodgson), though it's still necessary to still have someone who can get it done by themselves just by pure talent.

I think that lately with the way that championship teams are built lately (big, physical wingers flanking centers who are also gritty but talented play makers as well in the Top 6, hulking checking forwards who can also score in the bottom six) Vancouver's done well to adjust to that mold with more size (picked up Garrison for oft-injured Salo, Booth can also drive the net hard, Kassian came for Cody). It should be more the matter of the team actually delivering offensively than anything else, since during both the Boston and L.A. series they were out-muscled and ran into a hot goalie (and to address the OP, lack of heart in protecting the stars and no tough shutdown D-man). I think in terms of being out-muscled they somewhat addressed that and it's always been more about TEAM toughness than having a singular goon get back at people. It was also bad luck that they ran into Quick and Thomas who both caught fire behind tough defenses.

I don't think that it would've helped to protect the stars, since guys like Marchand and Lucic will still run guys even if you have your goon out. What I think really needs to be addressed is to find guys with the killer instinct to get it done and step it up another level when it matters, someone like Adam Henrique or beast-mode Kes when the team gets shut down. As for the tough solid shutdown D-man I think the mobile group with size assembled here should do just fine though I'd agree that I'd want to see a tougher guy paired with Ballard; Tanev's safe but doesn't have the size to slow down the other team's giants when they come over the line. Someone like a Matt Greene, who plays the game safe and offers size could really complement Ballard on the back end for getting stops when it matters (no to McIlrath though :P)

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#58 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

I really think MG's done well to adjust his team so it would have more of the gritty, physical guys with skill necessary to get it done in the playoffs and muck out wins (Burr, the whole second line, Hansen and Lapierre, Weise, KASSIAN should factor pretty significantly in the near future and hopefully Gaunce, Mallet, Jensen etc. will be able to join in up front soon) instead of PURELY skilled guys (e.g. Hodgson), though it's still necessary to still have someone who can get it done by themselves just by pure talent.

I think that lately with the way that championship teams are built lately (big, physical wingers flanking centers who are also gritty but talented play makers as well in the Top 6, hulking checking forwards who can also score in the bottom six) Vancouver's done well to adjust to that mold with more size (picked up Garrison for oft-injured Salo, Booth can also drive the net hard, Kassian came for Cody). It should be more the matter of the team actually delivering offensively than anything else, since during both the Boston and L.A. series they were out-muscled and ran into a hot goalie (and to address the OP, lack of heart in protecting the stars and no tough shutdown D-man). I think in terms of being out-muscled they somewhat addressed that and it's always been more about TEAM toughness than having a singular goon get back at people. It was also bad luck that they ran into Quick and Thomas who both caught fire behind tough defenses.

I don't think that it would've helped to protect the stars, since guys like Marchand and Lucic will still run guys even if you have your goon out. What I think really needs to be addressed is to find guys with the killer instinct to get it done and step it up another level when it matters, someone like Adam Henrique or beast-mode Kes when the team gets shut down. As for the tough solid shutdown D-man I think the mobile group with size assembled here should do just fine though I'd agree that I'd want to see a tougher guy paired with Ballard; Tanev's safe but doesn't have the size to slow down the other team's giants when they come over the line. Someone like a Matt Greene, who plays the game safe and offers size could really complement Ballard on the back end for getting stops when it matters (no to McIlrath though :P)

In terms of clutch, Chris Drury could fit into that category but he's old.... And for toughness and size in the back, didn't we pick up a guy similar to that description? I can't recall his name but I remember we picked someone up that people were getting hyped up about.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Posted Image

^Truth

#59 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,010 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

In terms of clutch, Chris Drury could fit into that category but he's old....

And retired.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

#60 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,010 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:22 AM

Double post.

Edited by Steven Stamkos' Mullet, 06 December 2012 - 01:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.