Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

canuks havent learnt lesson from losing to bruins and kings

Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
106 replies to this topic

#91 JHansenFan

JHansenFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:50 AM

yah youll see corrado will be on team soon

I have heard you say Corrado will make the team in the next two years far too long. Care for a wager? You can name the stakes. However there are terms that I would like to involve.

If the Canucks trade the following defensemen off their roster: Kevin Bieksa, Alexander Edler, Jason Garrison, Dan Hamhuis, Chris Tanev, Keith Ballard, Kevin Connauton, and Yann Sauve off their team. This wager is deemed invalid.

If the Canucks somehow end up with a top 3 pick in the next two years consecutively. That means that they would have to get a top 3 pick this draft, and next draft. This wager is deemed invalid. (I would make it five, but you think Corrado will make the team in the next two years so that seemed appropriate).

If the Canucks management/coaching staff/development staff/AHL coaching staff/AHL prospect development staff/ Canucks Owners suddenly gets all their hippocampus's removed from their brain in a freak accident at the hospital. This wager is deemed invalid.

Now for all of these conditions... lets say those defensemen I named just one of them remains. Lets say Keith Ballard (since you love him oh so much) remains. Than if Corrado makes the team I lose and you get whatever our wager is.

**Disclaimer**

I believe that Corrado will one day be an NHL defensemen. At what level I don't know yet, since he really just burst up on scene in my and pretty much all of the boards radar's. However I am so certain that CanuksTravella is wrong in the fact that Corrado will not suddenly have a top four slot on a President Trophy winning team next year or the year after.

Posted Image
Sick Sig Made By: allons-y

#92 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

Yes players enjoy playing in a winning environment, but there are other factors such as family, hometown discounts, environmental factors such as cold winters on the west coast, travel time, and many other factors that make FA's sign else where other than vancouver. Perhaps he could offer them insane contracts, but it seems you seem to fault Gillis for not making contract offers. Canucks fans want the massive offers and when things don't work out then Gillis gets blamed. Well we have an easy job as fans then don't we.... Case and point Mats Sundin.

Wille Mitchell was a UFA when his injury occurred, so we had an option of letting him go or signing him. At that point in time no one knew if he could come back from that concussion. Now good for him for coming back and getting a cup, but why would you sign a defensemen to a extension, if you don't know if he comes back from the injury. Looking back at it now... perhaps it would be a good idea, but it was also an equally fantastic idea to have 6 smooth skating defensemen. Manny Malhotra was injured when he was under contract. We didn't say... "Oh you have an eye injury, but here is tons of money to play for us". We had him under contract until next year when that eye injury occurred a couple years ago. Raymond has value, but Vancouver Fans always just want to waive the scapegoat. Raymond had a back injury and that could have ended his career. Good on him for coming back and playing. If you have your back broken on a hit, than just maybe you would be a bit more wary going into the corner. Sorry i forgot he's a NHL player... he doesn't have any human emotions such as basic survival instincts.

Santa is listening. Mike Gillis made that trade for Zack Kassian, just so that he could hopefully develop into that player. Now I'm not going to say that we need that nasty defensemen, because it's every GM's dream to have that big nasty mean defensemen who can play big minutes. Seriously how many Zdeno Chara's and Shea Weber's are actually out there. Instead of just saying what we need, why don't fans actually suggest a player who could actually outplay one of our top six defensemen for a role, instead of just gooning it into our d-core. All I hear from CanuksTravella and his "supporters" are that we need this big mean defensemen who can play hockey. Who is this defensemen that we can realistically get, and what team would be stupid enough to let him go unless every Canucks fan breaks open his little piggy bank to make that trade. We would be trading away our entire team just to get that one player, and than there would be complaints we need more skill. WTF? Idon't even...

I feel like I have said this many times before, and I will probably say this many times again. Players have different roles, and the Sedin's are clearly skilled players who feed off of each other. Every team has players who play with skill such as Pavel Datsyuk, Sidney Crosby, and Nicklas Backstrom. These types of players are offensive players, and they don't need that physical element in their game to succeed. The Sedin's succeed even when they are hit or have to fight along the boards, and I see them getting stronger every year. Sure every team would LOVE to have their top players be able to hit and be able to drive hard to the net, but in reality it is not going to happen. This is complaints that happen every damn year. Yep every year, more people realize the reality.

Your points are pretty much reflecting a team that would be the "perfect" team. In reality there is probably no team that will ever be that good aside from Team Canada where all the best go to play. Every team has holes to fill, and every team would love another power forward or another defensemen who is physical and can move the puck. This is why the NHL is fair because there is no team that is stacked so that you cannot beat them. There is no perfect formula for winning the cup, Fans can believe what they want, but seriously I hate to break it to you... but neither you, me, nor anyone in this world... knows the perfect formula to win the cup. Anyone who has ever watched a stanley cup final can see what it takes to win a cup.

Now I hate to embarrass you some more, actually scratch that... I would love to embarrass you some more. I have plenty of free time now my exams are over, so i encourage you to come up with retorts. I will be more than happy to slowly break down every last sentence of your moronic argument, and embarrass you in front of all the viewers of CDC.

Have a nice day.

I'm not embarrassed,you embarrassed?

You've taken quite a few points and misconstrued them and used words that no-one else has. I don't really know where to begin.

I'm not trashing the twins if that is what is making you so mad. I'm simply saying that if they won't stand up for themselves, then we need to get them the support they need, this isn't a gentleman's game. There is room for gentlemen but it's not a gentleman's game. I'm not saying the twins are wimps either, they obviously take a feeding and keep on eating.
But I call BS when the team says"We'll make them pay on the scorsheet" Isn't the goal of the game to make them pay on the scoresheet? And if players are going to take liberties on our stars, we need to go eye for an eye, toothfor a tooth, especially in the playoffs for godsake. That's rule #1.

Raymond is not a scapegoat, no-one who knows anything about hockey and has watched him play expects anything from him, so he cannot be a scapegoat. Scapebambi? Maybe.

This whole "hometown" discount idea is non-sense, too. It might be your hometown, and the odd canuck's hometown but guess what. The rest of the players are not ingrained canuck fans or hometown boys. This is one of the richest teams in the league, why do we keep looking in dark corners and under rocks for talent?

Kassian is not the answer to anyones prayers and the way to make sure he never succeeds is to keep setting the bar way too high. Keep it up Supahfan!

Who can argue that the canucks lack a big nasty stud Dman? What's going to happen when teams start running Schneider? Bieksa gonna put his angry face on, watchout!

I'm starting to think too many of the fans here have the team they want. You want the baby faced cute n cuddly huggable lovable gentleman with the nice flowing locks and pretty eyes who are far too superior to lowerthemselves to dish out some punishment or retribution when another team feeds them crap by the shovelful nom nom nom mmmm dose iz sum guuud $crap sammmiches!

That crap don't fly son! And your taste in women is quite questionable also.

Just kidding about the last part, enjoy your School Holidays while you still can, I hope Santa is good to you.

Edited by scottiecanuck, 16 December 2012 - 04:05 PM.

#93 JHansenFan

JHansenFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

I'm not embarrassed,you embarrassed?

You've taken quite a few points and misconstrued them and used words that no-one else has. I don't really know where to begin.

I'm not embarrassed at all. However I don't see what points I have misconstructed, and please tell me what words I have used that no one else has. Do you mean I have used a single word that no one else in this thread has used, or do you mean my points have not been made in the thread prior to my post. If it is the second one than, I would love to say that is the point of a debate is to bring in arguments to support your side of the story.

I'm not trashing the twins if that is what is making you so mad. I'm simply saying that if they won't stand up for themselves, then we need to get them the support they need, this isn't a gentleman's game. There is room for gentlemen but it's not a gentleman's game. I'm not saying the twins are wimps either, they obviously take a feeding and keep on eating.
But I call BS when the team says"We'll make them pay on the scorsheet" Isn't the goal of the game to make them pay on the scoresheet? And if players are going to take liberties on our stars, we need to go eye for an eye, toothfor a tooth, especially in the playoffs for godsake. That's rule #1.

Now this is pretty good irony right here. You say that they need someone to protect them so that they don't have to, but yet you also say that they should learn to stick up for themselves. I don't understand, do we need to let the twins stick up for themselves, or do we need that grinder on their line to dissuade people from trying to hit them. You say their not wimps, but you do say in your last post that they should be forced to have their eyes pried open and to watch Pavel Bure stick up for himself. Pretty much all you do in this part of your post is contradict yourself by saying things like... "This is not a gentlemen's game" but "There is room for it". Excuse me? If you ever have written any paper trying to argue your point, you would know that you have to stick firmly to your beliefs and to never contradict yourself. If the playoffs were truely about going eye for an eye, than I doubt many players would want to play, if all you go for is cheap shots and to attempt to take out players. That might be true for the pre-lockout era, but now there are rules about head contact and other huge restrictions that prevent you from just "giving the player a whack to the back of his head". Perhaps it would benefit you to recognize the fact that the NHL now is less about who can punch their way to the cup, and more about who has more skill, grit, and resilience towards the long grind of a playoff run.

Raymond is not a scapegoat, no-one who knows anything about hockey and has watched him play expects anything from him, so he cannot be a scapegoat. Scapebambi? Maybe.

In 2009 when he put in 25 goals he was considered a potential top six forward. I simply despise the fact that all Canucks Fans want Raymond gone, just because of his injury. Injuries can psychologically affect you as well as physically, so I believe that Raymond can still play. He doesn't have abysmal numbers in the NHL, and despite what you think we have seen seasons where Raymond has been good. Perhaps he isn't at his best right now, but I can tell you if I suffered an injury like that, I would probably never play hockey the same as I would have prior to the injury. You have a lack of sympathy here, and so do most Canucks Fans.

This whole "hometown" discount idea is non-sense, too. It might be your hometown, and the odd canuck's hometown but guess what. The rest of the players are not ingrained canuck fans or hometown boys. This is one of the richest teams in the league, why do we keep looking in dark corners and under rocks for talent?

The Wings have used this "idea" for many years now, and they have been very successful at it. I've heard many Canucks Fans say that we should model our team after the wings. Here's a newsflash they use the same model of a discount, and we've seen this when Hossa went to play in Detroit for his shot at the cup. We have seen many players sign for reasonable prices, and pair that with them drafting and retaining their young talent, it allows them to be dominant year after year. If we didn't have reasonable prices then we couldn't afford some of our players. This is speculation, but our team is just 2.4million dollars under the salary cap. Lets say if Both Sedin's asked for 1 million dollars more, and Hamhuis wanted another million dollars as well. The point of a hometown discount is so that players sign for less, but they create a winning atmosphere. Why don't we follow the leafs model and sign players like Komisarek to ridiculous amounts and see how that works out.

Kassian is not the answer to anyones prayers and the way to make sure he never succeeds is to keep setting the bar way too high. Keep it up Supahfan!

Who can argue that the canucks lack a big nasty stud Dman? What's going to happen when teams start running Schneider? Bieksa gonna put his angry face on, watchout!

I never stated Zack Kassian was our stud powerforward. Although i appreciate you calling me a "supahfan" I believe I am just a regular realistic fan. All i said was that Kassian was flipped in the hopes that he could one day be that forward we needed. Being realistic unlike you, I never stated any goals for him or hopes I just simply said that he was traded because he had the potential to be that player. However this next part of the post made me chuckle a bit, not because it's wrong, but because of how right you are. Who can argue that the canucks lack that big nasty stud Dman... however who can argue that is what 30/30 teams want. How many Zdeno Chara's and Shea Weber's are out there in the league right now. That's right two of them off the top of my head. The Kings won the cup with Doughty, who isn't a big nasty defensemen, but he has a fantastic offensive gift.

Now I assume this follows the exact same patterns of all the other questions I directed at CanuksTravella, but who could you realistically see who we could get from another team in terms of a Powerforward, or a in your terms "Big Nasty Stud" Defensemen? Remember this has to be realistic so it can't be just Mason Raymond, Keith Ballard, 2nd round pick for Shea Weber. Obviously wouldn't expect any more than that from you, but hey I crossed out one possibility. You also have to remember that if we trade for this defensemen, we will have holes in our lineup that we will have to fill. Think about it realistically, and you will realize that if a team has that player then they are willing to fight tooth and nail to keep him. Now that was a Rhetorical question and the answer to that is there is a very limited market for these players and they come at very high cost. Your right we need another Powerforward, and a big nasty stud defensemen, but that's a wish list for every team in the NHL.

I'm starting to think too many of the fans here have the team they want. You want the baby faced cute n cuddly huggable lovable gentleman with the nice flowing locks and pretty eyes who are far too superior to lowerthemselves to dish out some punishment or retribution when another team feeds them crap by the shovelful nom nom nom mmmm dose iz sum guuud $crap sammmiches!

I'm starting to feel that the core of the team is indeed here, and they have shown that they can play with two presidents trophy in consecutive seasons. Any team going for a Cup run will be looking for more pieces, but yes I do have a team i like and can cheer for at this moment. That last sentence is just proof of how unintelligent your arguments are, and it shows exactly why you agree with CanuksTravella.

That crap don't fly son! And your taste in women is quite questionable also.

Just kidding about the last part, enjoy your School Holidays while you still can, I hope Santa is good to you.

Not everyone has a similar taste in women, and if you don't like Ellie Goulding so be it. Nothing off my back. I have three school holidays and I enjoy every one of them thoroughly. One in between each semester. Enjoy working at your dead end job that pays you just enough to get by. Yes yes I know your going to tell me that you are working for this huge corporation and one day you will become CEO or whatever. Have a nice day.

Just a further note, when you type words such as "n" instead of "and" than it makes your argument lose even more of its merit... which is of course assuming it had any merit to begin with.

Edited by JHansenFan, 16 December 2012 - 09:36 PM.

Posted Image

#94 lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

Sorry man, I'm not interested in lengthy discussions based on what ifs and speculation,and honestly, I don't have a Rainman like recall of player stats and bios anymore since I joined the real world and stopped collecting hockey cards.

I only posted in this thread in agreement with the op. The culture on the team hasn't changed and we have no hope of playoff success until it does. The playoffs are more than a grind yo', that's why they say the Cup is the hardest trophy to win in all of sport(debatable but that's what "they" say). The team who wants it the most, ususally gets it. Boston, Chicago, LA all wanted it it badder than VanC, so they did what it took and the Canucks don't appear to have learned a lesson from that, as the OP stated.

It's a long road to the middle, now if you'll excuse me, I have to run off, I mean take transit, to my dead end job where I will not make quite enough money to eat lunch and service my debt load lolololollol

#95 lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

Just a further note, when you type words such as "n" instead of "and" than it makes your argument lose even more of its merit... which is of course assuming it had any merit to begin with.

Edit: Oh all right, I'll do this one sentence for you because 'tis the season.

Just a further note: When you type words such as "n", instead of "and", then it makes your arguement lose even more of it's merrit... which is of course assuming it had any merrit to begin with.

There's are still a hundred flaws with your sentence (word choice, placement, run-on sentence etc) but that should tide you over 'til the New Year. Cheers.

You're cute, are you just trying to get me to check your homework for grammatical errors? Cuz I ownlyhave my graid nine you no.

Edited by scottiecanuck, 17 December 2012 - 04:03 PM.

#96 JHansenFan

JHansenFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

Sorry man, I'm not interested in lengthy discussions based on what ifs and speculation,and honestly, I don't have a Rainman like recall of player stats and bios anymore since I joined the real world and stopped collecting hockey cards.

If you weren't interested in these discussions you wouldn't have responded to my first attack on your points, and honestly I don't have an amazing memory of stats either, but I use something called the internet to find this out. You should understand how the internet works even if you're in the real world, and a funny thing is I don't collect hockey cards either.

I only posted in this thread in agreement with the op. The culture on the team hasn't changed and we have no hope of playoff success until it does. The playoffs are more than a grind yo', that's why they say the Cup is the hardest trophy to win in all of sport(debatable but that's what "they" say). The team who wants it the most, ususally gets it. Boston, Chicago, LA all wanted it it badder than VanC, so they did what it took and the Canucks don't appear to have learned a lesson from that, as the OP stated.

You said you were not interested in speculation, but how do you measure the "culture" or the "who wants it more" aspect of the cup. If Columbus was playing for the Stanley cup vs Boston.... would you say Boston won because they won it more, or because their skill level is better than the last place team in the league. Now i'm not comparing the Canucks to the Jackets, but the culture of our team has gone from being a terrible team, to becoming a contender for a cup every year. In my opinion that is a change in culture, and it will continue to change as long as MG is running the ship. There is a reason you, myself, or a billion of us wannabe's are not running the Canucks, and it is because we have no clue how to run every individual aspect of a team, and the factors that cause different players to perform differently. I would like to disagree with Vancouver not having learned the lesson, as we did beat Chicago en route to our Stanely Cup Finals appearance, and we also took lessons from Boston in the sense that we need more depth. We traded for Sammy Pahllsson and we got Zack Kassian in hopes of making our team tougher and more able to survive a playoff grind. However you might fail to forget that we were missing Daniel Sedin who is arguably one of our top players on our team. The Sedin's feed off of each other so effectively we have a centre who has no one to set up, and a goal scorer whose injured. I can promise you that if the Kings were missing someone like Kopitar, than that injury would have had an effect on their team.

It's a long road to the middle, now if you'll excuse me, I have to run off, I mean take transit, to my dead end job where I will not make quite enough money to eat lunch and service my debt load lolololollol

I don't understand what you mean by long road to the middle, but of course references are made that many people don't understand. I never said transit was embarrassing, and a further point is that if you weren't looking to get into a discussion than the post would have been along the lines of "Agreed OP'd" and not a multi paragraph post that gave out specific points. It's easy to come to the conclusion that you have no defense for some of the argument's i made, and you also ignored a direct question that i directed specifically at you. What stud big goon defensemen could we get without trading away half our team, and what stud power forward could we get without creating more holes than it fills. There are none on the free agency market, and Vancouver isn't the best destination despite the winning environment, because of things like the cold winters on the west coast, and the amount of travel our team does. I don't need you to edit my homework, because I would feel much more confident submitting a draft done by myself in half an hour, than something that you did and edited thrice over.

Posted Image

#97 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

In 2009 when he put in 25 goals he was considered a potential top six forward. I simply despise the fact that all Canucks Fans want Raymond gone, just because of his injury. Injuries can psychologically affect you as well as physically, so I believe that Raymond can still play. He doesn't have abysmal numbers in the NHL, and despite what you think we have seen seasons where Raymond has been good. Perhaps he isn't at his best right now, but I can tell you if I suffered an injury like that, I would probably never play hockey the same as I would have prior to the injury. You have a lack of sympathy here, and so do most Canucks Fans.

He put up 25 goals in 09. Great. But after that, he just seemed out of place as if he wasn't following the game plan for most games. Doing whatever he wanted. Driving wide, go behind the net, pass it to the point, circle around and crash the net. Or, drive wide, get cut off, turn the puck over. Or, drive wide, try to beat the defender outside, if not, go behind the net, fall down, turn the puck over.

It's the same thing over and over again with Raymond. I'm not denying the fact that he has offensive skills and can pot 20+ goals again, I'm saying that he wasn't useful after that season. I'm not blaming his back injury for him being useless for us. I've been saying he was useless since 2010 and that's before his injury. Of course, other Canucks fans who want Raymond gone are probably those who blame the injury and have bad memory of how well he did after 2009.

Manny was on fire in the faceoff circle before the freak injury, it really sucks. With how thin things are down the middle, I could see him back for another year. I only brought him up in relation to Willie Mitchell and his injury.

And he still put up very similar numbers after he came back from the injury. His defensive aspect wasn't the same but the thing is, his faceoff numbers comparing 2010-11 to 2011-12 are very similar. Last season his faceoffs were 58.5%. That's good for 8th in the league for players who've taken over 100 faceoffs. In 2010-11, he finished with 61.7%, good for 3rd in the league. Now you tell me if he still isn't one of the league's best at faceoffs.

Santa is listening. Mike Gillis made that trade for Zack Kassian, just so that he could hopefully develop into that player. Now I'm not going to say that we need that nasty defensemen, because it's every GM's dream to have that big nasty mean defensemen who can play big minutes. Seriously how many Zdeno Chara's and Shea Weber's are actually out there. Instead of just saying what we need, why don't fans actually suggest a player who could actually outplay one of our top six defensemen for a role, instead of just gooning it into our d-core. All I hear from CanuksTravella and his "supporters" are that we need this big mean defensemen who can play hockey. Who is this defensemen that we can realistically get, and what team would be stupid enough to let him go unless every Canucks fan breaks open his little piggy bank to make that trade. We would be trading away our entire team just to get that one player, and than there would be complaints we need more skill.

Well when we got Alberts, he was suppose to be the big nasty defenseman that was suppose to clear the net. That really worked out well right?

What? What is a Scapebambi? And to say we don't expect anything from him? Are you kidding me? Canucks management kept him here for another year because they saw flashes of him breaking out when he came back midseason after his back injury. His offensive talents bursted out and he potted like what, 5 goals in 3 games or something like that? There are signs that he can still be an offensive player scoring around 20 goals a year, which is why management is giving him one more chance to find his offensive game. I want him out, but at the same time, I hope he can provide depth scoring because most fans want him gone.

It's not nonsense when players who take the hometown discount really want to play here. Sometimes, it's not always about the money that influences players' decisions to play for a team. It involves many things, such as winning culture, can the team contend for a Cup, fanbase, location, team's history, the players itself, and many more to it aside from the money.

And finding players under the rocks isn't a bad idea to try. Look at Detroit, they're able to make players who's average into a player that teams want. For example, Johan Franzen, Jiri Hudler, Dan Cleary, Tomas Holmstrom, and the list goes on. What we're doing, we're finding players who are smart and have great hockey IQ. Players who are willing to learn and adapt in order to succeed. Prime example: Chris Tanev. Signed as an undrafted free agent, learned his first year here as a Canuck on how to play smart defensively and adapt to NHL playing level, next year, he was a regular top 6/7th d-man for us. It's not about going all out for that top free agent, its about finding the guys who are willing to play under any circumstances and learn at the same time to grow and develop into a better player.

Bieksa is a wimp compared to other guys who actually stand up for their players. At times, Bieksa will take on the meanest of the bunch, but at other times, he takes on players who can't fight. Sometimes he's there for enforcement roles, other times, when he should be there to be the enforcer, he doesn't do anything.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#98 JHansenFan

JHansenFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

He put up 25 goals in 09. Great. But after that, he just seemed out of place as if he wasn't following the game plan for most games. Doing whatever he wanted. Driving wide, go behind the net, pass it to the point, circle around and crash the net. Or, drive wide, get cut off, turn the puck over. Or, drive wide, try to beat the defender outside, if not, go behind the net, fall down, turn the puck over.

There is a point when fans have to realize Raymond can't drive to the net simply because he isn't big enough to not get brought down by a defensemen. However that being said Raymond just has to find his place on the team where he can use his speed as an asset such as on the PK or forechecking. You can't just turn players into other things, but he could still be out potential top six forward if he can get back to his 25 goal self. Worse case scenario is he becomes a fixture on the PK and forechecking with his speed. Forechecking is not always about hits, but it's also about being able to pressure the defensemen quickly and to get to the puck first on occasion. He would also be an offensive threat just because of his speed.

Well when we got Alberts, he was suppose to be the big nasty defenseman that was suppose to clear the net. That really worked out well right?

I think you have the wrong context here. I'm defending our d-core right now because it's such a fluid and puck moving bunch I don't believe that we need that goon defensemen that just takes penalties and can't outplay our other defensemen for a spot. I believe that a fluid mobile defence core is better than one that is made out of goons whose only motive in hockey is to lay someone out with a big hit.

Posted Image

#99 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

You're cute, are you just trying to get me to check your homework for grammatical errors? Cuz I ownlyhave my graid nine you no.

"All of us learn to write in the second grade. Most of us go on to greater things." - Bobby Knight

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#100 lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

Did Ellie Goulding get ear implants or.....tiny face?

Edit:
FTR- I didn't support Mayray after about 1 and a half seasons of him flopping around. Floppers can flop off right to floppin Flopida, where there is no ice to flop upon, just beaches and flip flops. Floperto Fluongo can hold his hand all the way there. I was hoping the back injury would be the last we saw of Mayray. Although, if someone would take the scotch tape off his skate blades, he might turn into a decent player.

And I only brought Manny up in reference to Willie Mitchell and the fact that, according to these boards, we let Willie go because of his injury (concussion). I will be whining about that until the end of time.Willie is clutch as they come. With him, you can let the flash n dash sell their sizzle.

And we need a big nasty Dman, the uglier the better.

Double Edit:

Ellie, if you want people to answer your questions and queries, try using the "Question Mark".

Here is an example: Ellie, have you been the recipient of transgender surgery?

On a side note: I invented the question mark. True story.

Cheers

Edited by scottiecanuck, 18 December 2012 - 10:51 PM.

#101 lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

"All of us learn to write in the second grade. Most of us go on to greater things." - Bobby Knight

regards,
G.

These days, it seems like most people stop learning to write in the 2nd grade.

#102 JHansenFan

JHansenFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

These days, it seems like most people stop learning to write in the 2nd grade.

You would be the perfect example of that. Your posts are horrendously thought out, and I don't see a post anymore where you actually defend your points instead of trying to lash out. Now please listen closely I don't care that you dislike Ellie goulding, she has a million fans so losing you or me as a fan is probably not a concern of hers. If you want to discuss her please make a topic in off topic forums because this is about hockey. You say points that can't be defended. Here is a question.

Give me a trade proposal that gets us that dman without us having to give up vital parts of our team? (This trade has to make sense for both teams is the guideline)

Posted Image

#103 lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

Man, honestly I don't have the time, energy or motivation to try and pretend like I know how NHL contract and salary cap issues go.

Luongo/May Ray for Bjugstad and a 2nd rounder? Sign Pronger to a 1 year 10mil$? Getzlaf? Luongo for Keith?
Start drafting big Canadian D men? Luongo for Phaneuf? It's hard impossible to talk in the finite when there are so many what ifs.

Letting Mitchell go was terrible and Torres would fall into that category also.

I didn't realize youhad an ongoing beef with the op.

Edited by scottiecanuck, 18 December 2012 - 09:18 PM.

#104 lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

I'm not embarrassed at all. However I don't see what points I have misconstructed, and please tell me what words I have used that no one else has. Do you mean I have used a single word that no one else in this thread has used, or do you mean my points have not been made in the thread prior to my post. If it is the second one than, I would love to say that is the point of a debate is to bring in arguments to support your side of the story.

Now this is pretty good irony right here. You say that they need someone to protect them so that they don't have to, but yet you also say that they should learn to stick up for themselves. I don't understand, do we need to let the twins stick up for themselves, or do we need that grinder on their line to dissuade people from trying to hit them. You say their not wimps, but you do say in your last post that they should be forced to have their eyes pried open and to watch Pavel Bure stick up for himself. Pretty much all you do in this part of your post is contradict yourself by saying things like... "This is not a gentlemen's game" but "There is room for it". Excuse me? If you ever have written any paper trying to argue your point, you would know that you have to stick firmly to your beliefs and to never contradict yourself. If the playoffs were truely about going eye for an eye, than I doubt many players would want to play, if all you go for is cheap shots and to attempt to take out players. Yes I am saying there needs to be an element of "toughness" or "grit" or "an enforcer" to balance and protect the finish and finesse. Some player can combine the two, some need supporting cast. There is room for gentlemen but it is not a gentlman's game, like, say, cricket or golf. That's why the most gentlemanly player award is called the "Lady Bing"That might be true for the pre-lockout era, but now there are rules about head contact and other huge restrictions that prevent you from just "giving the player a whack to the back of his head".Those rules only apply in the regular season and even then it's pretty gray, Perhaps it would benefit you to recognize the fact that the NHL now is less about who can punch their way to the cup, and more about who has more skill, grit, and resilience towards the long grind of a playoff run. I would disagree and say that Vancouver did indeed get punched in and out of the finals in 2011

#105 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

Mitchell was offered a contract, and chose to sign elsewhere. He was (and still is) a risky guy to sign, and only because we like to look back on things with our 20/20 glasses does this look bad. Mitchell missed about half of a season due to his injury.

I suppose it's kind of a shame that his contract ran out the same year he did get that massive concussion. If it had happened the year before he might still be a Canuck.

I'm okay with Torres walking. I suspect that for every positive he had a negative could also be found. He signed a deal that was good for Raffi Torres. Good on him, he's moved on. Something to note however, it was the Canucks who gave him a chance to ressurect his career, and he took that opportunity and ran with it. To Phoenix.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#106 lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

It looked bad at the time, too, Willie is a beast and aBC boy . He was a canuck's nightmare for a few years with the Wild, couldn't believe it when we landed him. Speaks pretty poorly about management if they are letting a player like Willie Mitchell go because of a concussion. He's an anchor. Was it just the $$$ ?Canucks Drs report? They also fanned on the pass with Hodgson and who knows what else? If Mayray can break his back and play why can't we take a chance on Mitchell. Something went wrong there.

I would be okay with Torres walking but the thing is, we didn't replace him and he was a huge part of the 2011 cup run. The guy is floppin nutz and you need that in one way or another. First guy over the trench or whatever. Intangibles.

#107 JHansenFan

JHansenFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

Man, honestly I don't have the time, energy or motivation to try and pretend like I know how NHL contract and salary cap issues go.

Luongo/May Ray for Bjugstad and a 2nd rounder? Sign Pronger to a 1 year 10mil$? Getzlaf? Luongo for Keith?
Start drafting big Canadian D men? Luongo for Phaneuf? It's hard impossible to talk in the finite when there are so many what ifs.

I didn't realize youhad an ongoing beef with the op.

If you don't have time for an argument than don't respond to the first post, and continue to go post for post with me. Let's begin with the deals of course.

Luongo and MayRay for Bjugstad and a 2nd round pick:How does this solve our powerforward problem as of right now. Bjugstad has the potential to become a power forward, but he looks more to develop into a great third line Centre who has offensive talents. The 2nd round pick has the potential to become a stud, but then again there is more than a 50% chance it doesn't pan out.

Sign Pronger to a 1 year deal/10million dollars: This could be possible in the year 15/16... in which he is finally a free agent. At that time he'll be fourty, and at this moment with what looks like the cap going down, and our cap space being in the 2million dollars range, it's hard to believe that we can free up this cap space for him and especially at that age. Not to mention his concussion issues in which he sat out a entire year for.

Sign Getzlaf: Who wouldn't like to sign Getzlaf, but Anaheim will probably resign him to a long term deal. Even if he makes it to FA there will be no doubt 30 teams competing for his services, and again we have the issue with cap space.

Trade Luongo for Keith: If Luongo is worth a prospect in Bjugstad and adding MayRay only gets us an extra 2nd, than why would Luongo be traded for a Norris Trophy defensemen like Keith. Also in my opinion Keith isn't bigger than any of our defensemen, but he is more offensivly skilled. This doesn't exactly solve the issue that you believe we have of not being mean enough. Chicago would be filling a shaky hole by losing their number 1 defensemen. Also think about the locker room drama's when Keith elbowed Daniel Sedin to the head just this year.

Trade Luongo for Phaneuf: Why would the Leafs trade their captian, and why would Burke trade the guy he loves so much. Although the leafs defense group is good, they won't give up their captain for a goaltender, when they have prospects and picks to offer us.

Start Drafting Big Canadian Defensemen: There has been an equal share of defensemen that I want who don't fall under the category of Big or Canadian. For example Erik Karlsson is a perfect example, Drew Doughty is canadian but he's not big, and Alex Pietrangelo is big and canadian but he doesn't hit as often as people want him to. The Rangers are mad that they didn't take Cam Fowler over Dylan McIlrath because they believed they could bully their way to the cup, which is insane.

Now again with the comparing Raymond to the Mitchell issue. Raymond was going to be with the team this year if there was a season (Still hopeful) where as Mitchell was a UFA. The Canucks never had a chance to let them go with Malhotra and Raymond, and the only reason Raymond's salary was lowered, is because he didn't perform up to the standards that he was signed for during arbitration. This is not a issue with Canucks Management, but more so about the whole CBA.

Now moving onto Torres.... the issue with Torres was the long term commitment the Canucks would have to make. Now the speculation by me is that they were scared what would happen if another hit was made by Torres such as the one on Seabrook, and the repercussions that it could have. Again MG is trying to get that powerforward when he swapped Hodgson for Kassian, and Kassian is a big mean player who is just developing. He showed offensive skills in the WJC and when he was in Junior.

I do have a problem with the OP, because of the posts such as the one i quoted in my sig. His proposals are terribly written and he puts little to no thought into them.

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.