The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

canuks havent learnt lesson from losing to bruins and kings

I think the Canucks should play a skill game but have a few legit tough guys in the wings. Maybe Brian McGrattan as a spare forward (tough SOB, had some skill in junior scoring 20 goals in 31 games one year in the OHL) and John Erskine (hasn't lost a fight for a few seasons, his last losses came at the hands of Shawn Thornton and David Koci. Not a bad 7th guy either).

I think the Canucks should play a skill game but have a few legit tough guys in the wings. Maybe Brian McGrattan as a spare forward (tough SOB, had some skill in junior scoring 20 goals in 31 games one year in the OHL) and John Erskine (hasn't lost a fight for a few seasons, his last losses came at the hands of Shawn Thornton and David Koci. Not a bad 7th guy either).

I know the Pens won't let him go but Deryk Engelland on the 3rd pairing would be sick; he's tough, plays solid D and can actually put up some points from the back end (had 17 points, +10 last season). Dwight King would be sick to have as well, he's a monster to play against (6'3", 230) and is also pretty solid on both sides of the ice. He also had 2 GWG last playoffs as well, so he should be more than just a tough guy, but he'd fit the whole team toughness thing well (without the suspensions that someone like Raffi Torres has faced in his career).

I know the Pens won't let him go but Deryk Engelland on the 3rd pairing would be sick; he's tough, plays solid D and can actually put up some points from the back end (had 17 points, +10 last season). Dwight King would be sick to have as well (NOT that he'd be available), he's a monster to play against (6'3", 230) and is also pretty solid on both sides of the ice. He also had 2 GWG last playoffs as well, so he should be more than just a tough guy, but he'd fit the whole team toughness thing well (without the suspensions that someone like Raffi Torres has faced in his career).

I'd love to get Engelland but he would probably cost us Hansen or more, hard to justify.

To Nashville

6th Round Pick

To Vancouver

Brian McGrattan

To Washington

Mason Raymond

Andrew Alberts

To Vancouver

Joel Ward

John Erskine

Why this trade makes sense:

Ward and Erskine are good character guys who just had awful seasons. Washington dumps a bit of salary and gets a potential 20 goal scorer in Raymond and slight upgrade defensively in Alberts. Vancouver gets a whole lot tougher.

Sign Jim Vandermeer

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Both Kesler Higgins

Hansen Malhotra Ward

Weise Lapierre Kassian

Schroeder (call-up) McGrattan (30 games)

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Garrison

Ballard Tanev

Vandermeer (60 games) Erskine (40 games)

If you had Vandermeer, Erskine, McGrattan and Kassian playing in a game that would be a pretty tough lineup.

I pretty much agree with everythng the op said.

Gillis has made some good moves and being a former agent, it's obvious that the players enjoy playing here. That said, it's almost like he's trying to create a gourmet dinner from food bought from walmart. You can only make cheap things stretch so far.

Letting Willie Mitchell go was the worst decision ever. What, we're gonna give up on a Defensive canadian stud because of injury but wwe'll let the One eyed Malhotra play as long as he wants? Doesn't add up. And Raymond should have been waived years ago if he couldn't be traded, watching him try to make something happen on the rush is like watching 2 monkeys try to frack a football.

We need at least 1 big, nasty, mean , tough sob Dman to stake out territory in front of our net and a few nasty but skilled forwards to plant themselves in front of the oppositions net. We also need 1 brutal, ugly, nasty forward who will instill the fear of god into anyone who wants to even think about laying a finger on the twins. Santa, are you listening?

If we can't get an enforcer then maybe the twins should have their eyes pried open and be forced to watch tapes of Pavel Bure taking care of biz until they understand that this is not a gentleman's game.

Burrow's, Lapierre, Schneider, Hamhuis, Bieksa, hopefully Kassian are keepers. The rest have alot to prove and some have overstayed their welcome. Sedins are obviously awesome and they know how to take a crapkicking but come on, stand up for yourself for christ sake!

Pretty much. Look at the Canuck injuries and look at the Bruins injury report; they had zero significant injuries. The odd broken nose or laceration, nothing that would terribly hinder your performance in any way.

Now of course King of the BS or someone else will come here and say we're making excuses, but they're wrong. The above is a completely valid reason why we lost and it should not be ignored.

Scottie your so friggin right especially about raymond.

In my eyes these contracts have to be traded or retired

1. raymond 2.3 no grit useless perimeter deer legs

2. alberts 1.2 mill under used 7th d whats the point of having him unless u play him

3. malhotra 2.5 mill not the same after injury either retire him or use himas a 13th forward until his contracts up at end of yr.

4. ballard 4.2 mil ballard and coach dont get along. id rather fire a/v.

hes absolutely killed ballards trade value. hes so predictable and never calls a time out ever. Is outcoached in playoffs

every yr all he does in line juggle.

5. edler 3.25mill ufa next yr 50 point dman with lingering back injuries after surgery. can play amazing but also plays awful like

last yrs play offs. Id rather trade him now before some team like wings offers him 7 mill a yr and we lose him for nuthing.

for his rights if he signed with a team long term id want a young high drafted dman prospect like (ellis,reinhart, reilly)

and a gritty forward like matt read and a first rounder. And yess teams would pay that or him especially phili and detroit.

6. Bobby luongo 5.3 mill amazing goalie but we dont need to all star goalies and schneider is younger.

good luck on your next team

these players would open up 18.75 mill in cap space in which we could adress grit and solidify our team and make them younger

time to trim the fat. I could see corrado walking on next yr or this yr as a productive rookie in nhl in my eyes he has more up side

than cam fowler did as a 18 yr old rookie hes solid defensively and on offense. what a steal he was 150 overall

hamhuis bieska

corrado garrison

would be a great top four sauve could fit in as well as dmen we got in draft or from trades

Scottie your so friggin right especially about raymond.

In my eyes these contracts have to be traded or retired

1. raymond 2.3 no grit useless perimeter deer legs

2. alberts 1.2 mill under used 7th d whats the point of having him unless u play him

3. malhotra 2.5 mill not the same after injury either retire him or use himas a 13th forward until his contracts up at end of yr.

4. ballard 4.2 mil ballard and coach dont get along. id rather fire a/v.

hes absolutely killed ballards trade value. hes so predictable and never calls a time out ever. Is outcoached in playoffs

every yr all he does in line juggle.

5. edler 3.25mill ufa next yr 50 point dman with lingering back injuries after surgery. can play amazing but also plays awful like

last yrs play offs. Id rather trade him now before some team like wings offers him 7 mill a yr and we lose him for nuthing.

for his rights if he signed with a team long term id want a young high drafted dman prospect like (ellis,reinhart, reilly)

and a gritty forward like matt read and a first rounder. And yess teams would pay that or him especially phili and detroit.

6. Bobby luongo 5.3 mill amazing goalie but we dont need to all star goalies and schneider is younger.

good luck on your next team

these players would open up 18.75 mill in cap space in which we could adress grit and solidify our team and make them younger

time to trim the fat. I could see corrado walking on next yr or this yr as a productive rookie in nhl in my eyes he has more up side

than cam fowler did as a 18 yr old rookie hes solid defensively and on offense. what a steal he was 150 overall

hamhuis bieska

corrado garrison

would be a great top four sauve could fit in as well as dmen we got in draft or from trades

Archived