17 replies to this topic

#1 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,263 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

I've seen this and 2 other people that are doing the same thing shared by my friends on facebook. You know what they say: There's a sucker born every minute

--------------------------------------------------------------------

A man claims to be a Powerball winner and offers $1 million to anyone who shares the picture of him and his ticket. Almost 2 million share it. But it's the messages they leave that show humanity for what it is.

Posted Image

You'll be thinking about going to a movie, or the theater, or a museum perhaps.

I have an alternative suggestion. Sit down and go to the Facebook page of Nolan Daniels.

Within 24 hours, Daniels (if that is his real name) has become one of the world's more famous people.

He put up a photo of himself with what was supposedly a winning Powerball ticket and offered $1million to a random sharer of his photo.

As I'm writing this, more than 1.7 million people have shared it. You know, on a just-in-case basis.
Which is what makes this a true cultural phenomenon. Before going to your local museum today to view artifacts from an age of stone or military brass, please spend some time going through the comments on Daniels' post.

For there you will see a fairly complete psychological picture of today's interesting world.
First, you might espy the critics. They point out that the ticket is obviously fake, as the numbers aren't in ascending order. Oh, and some suggest that he got the price of the ticket wrong.

The critics are generally people who spend their days knowing what's wrong with the world and doing too little about it. To my unmathematical eye, they seem to make up at least 50 percent of the commenters.

Then you will find the beggars and liars. It is difficult to distinguish the two.

Take this from Anthony Rocco Sedalia: "My Family and I could use a million with getting evicted soon and water and power being turned off that money would HELP A LOt!!!"

Or this from Mittani R. Spruill: "I'm the random person to pick :-) My mom is filming a movie and needs $500,000. And me and my son want to build a school for underprivileged kids. And lastly, i want to invest the rest in my company. Pick me!!"

Are these people telling the truth? Or are they trying to kid a kidder?

Perhaps, though, the most astounding group of people can be bundled under the term "Naive, sweet, innocent, insane, nice folks."

A quite astonishing number of commenters offer Daniels nothing but good wishes.

Some admire his chutzpah in using such a simple ruse in order to become famous. Because they know that fame is the current currency.

Some, though, seem simply to wish him well.

This, for example, from Jenna Sasnett: "Congrats, Hope you have a wonderful life and time with the money and don't become a stuck up rich man. May god bless!"

Or this from Laurie Mannino Vickery: "Congrats to you. You have a heart of gold to give away money to a random person. Like your ticket...You are a rare find."

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 02 December 2012 - 09:08 PM.

2yyb7lj.jpg

#2 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

Read about this hoax few days ago, few idiots on my facebook actually shared it too..dumb.

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#3 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

Read about this hoax few days ago, few idiots on my facebook actually shared it too..dumb.

only a few? I saw it several times a day...

I guess that speaks for the company I keep eh?

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#4 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,263 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

It get irritating after a while. A bunch of friends were doing the $500 free Costco gift card scam a few weeks back.

2yyb7lj.jpg

#5 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

I stopped believing everything on FB, but I don't think any less of those who are just catching on.

A guy like this has too much time on his hands. Punking people on FB is easy because people are trusting in nature...it's no great accomplishment or anything to brag about. Pranksters who reel others in after intentionally setting them up need to get a life.

Posted Image

#6 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,775 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

Who cares? I shared it.

If this guy gets enjoyment out of it, I could care less. I know it's fake. It's not like he gains anything out of it. Fame maybe? Great thing to be famous for.

It takes 2 seconds to share something. I don't see it as being anymore hopeful or naive than people who buy actual lottery tickets and expect to win.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#7 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

Who cares? I shared it.

If this guy gets enjoyment out of it, I could care less. I know it's fake. It's not like he gains anything out of it. Fame maybe? Great thing to be famous for.

It takes 2 seconds to share something. I don't see it as being anymore hopeful or naive than people who buy actual lottery tickets and expect to win.

Do you like getting junk mail

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#8 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,775 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:57 PM

Do you like getting junk mail

Doesn't matter to me.

I use an old email address that I don't even use anymore for my facebook. I get so much junk mail in that one that it wouldn't really make a difference.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#9 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,088 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:08 AM

Who cares? I shared it.

Why did you share it?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#10 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,199 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

The masses are asses, what can you say.

Facebook and how often people fall for very obvious scams or hoaxes is one of many pieces of proof that people are stupid.

Edited by zaibatsu, 03 December 2012 - 01:24 AM.

#11 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:29 AM

worst part is now there's more than one fake one out there. there's a new one that said he was going to give 10 million away or something like that, too lazy to post a picture of it.

regardless, all these facebook scams are getting so annoying. i'm resorting more and more to twitter

Posted Image

XBL: canucks4lyfe

#12 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

Doesn't matter to me.

I use an old email address that I don't even use anymore for my facebook. I get so much junk mail in that one that it wouldn't really make a difference.

The question was do you like junk mail, not do you get junk mail.
I hate these stupid things. They're junk mail to me. So you must enjoy junk mail, if not, stop sharing this crap. It makes you look like a naive moron.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#13 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,789 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

So humanity is... A bunch of suckers, but well-wishing suckers?

These are always the first to go in any apocalyptic scenario.
Posted Image

#14 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

The only free Facebook offer thing I believe is the Clearly contacts one.. That one is true because I know someone who works there and those ones are real. Everything else is a fake.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#15 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,706 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

Why did you share it?

What else do you want him to say? He's simple, alright?

#16 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,505 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

I created a Facebook page years ago and realized how much of a mistake it was. Like a parasite you can't get rid of. I tried to delete everything I could but still get random emails that try to link me back. Can't stand Facebook.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#17 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,686 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

worst part is now there's more than one fake one out there. there's a new one that said he was going to give 10 million away or something like that, too lazy to post a picture of it.

regardless, all these facebook scams are getting so annoying. i'm resorting more and more to twitter

RT this to win a free iPad 5!

#18 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

RT this to win a free iPad 5!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.