The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The real joy of the Powerball Facebook fake

Grapefruits

I've seen this and 2 other people that are doing the same thing shared by my friends on facebook. You know what they say: There's a sucker born every minute

--------------------------------------------------------------------

A man claims to be a Powerball winner and offers $1 million to anyone who shares the picture of him and his ticket. Almost 2 million share it. But it's the messages they leave that show humanity for what it is.

daniels_610x460.png

You'll be thinking about going to a movie, or the theater, or a museum perhaps.

I have an alternative suggestion. Sit down and go to the Facebook page of Nolan Daniels.

Within 24 hours, Daniels (if that is his real name) has become one of the world's more famous people.

He put up a photo of himself with what was supposedly a winning Powerball ticket and offered $1million to a random sharer of his photo.

As I'm writing this, more than 1.7 million people have shared it. You know, on a just-in-case basis.

Which is what makes this a true cultural phenomenon. Before going to your local museum today to view artifacts from an age of stone or military brass, please spend some time going through the comments on Daniels' post.

For there you will see a fairly complete psychological picture of today's interesting world.

First, you might espy the critics. They point out that the ticket is obviously fake, as the numbers aren't in ascending order. Oh, and some suggest that he got the price of the ticket wrong.

The critics are generally people who spend their days knowing what's wrong with the world and doing too little about it. To my unmathematical eye, they seem to make up at least 50 percent of the commenters.

Then you will find the beggars and liars. It is difficult to distinguish the two.

Take this from Anthony Rocco Sedalia: "My Family and I could use a million with getting evicted soon and water and power being turned off that money would HELP A LOt!!!"

Or this from Mittani R. Spruill: "I'm the random person to pick :-) My mom is filming a movie and needs $500,000. And me and my son want to build a school for underprivileged kids. And lastly, i want to invest the rest in my company. Pick me!!"

Are these people telling the truth? Or are they trying to kid a kidder?

Perhaps, though, the most astounding group of people can be bundled under the term "Naive, sweet, innocent, insane, nice folks."

A quite astonishing number of commenters offer Daniels nothing but good wishes.

Some admire his chutzpah in using such a simple ruse in order to become famous. Because they know that fame is the current currency.

Some, though, seem simply to wish him well.

This, for example, from Jenna Sasnett: "Congrats, Hope you have a wonderful life and time with the money and don't become a stuck up rich man. May god bless!"

Or this from Laurie Mannino Vickery: "Congrats to you. You have a heart of gold to give away money to a random person. Like your ticket...You are a rare find."

I stopped believing everything on FB, but I don't think any less of those who are just catching on.

A guy like this has too much time on his hands. Punking people on FB is easy because people are trusting in nature...it's no great accomplishment or anything to brag about. Pranksters who reel others in after intentionally setting them up need to get a life.

Who cares? I shared it.

If this guy gets enjoyment out of it, I could care less. I know it's fake. It's not like he gains anything out of it. Fame maybe? Great thing to be famous for.

It takes 2 seconds to share something. I don't see it as being anymore hopeful or naive than people who buy actual lottery tickets and expect to win.

Who cares? I shared it.

If this guy gets enjoyment out of it, I could care less. I know it's fake. It's not like he gains anything out of it. Fame maybe? Great thing to be famous for.

It takes 2 seconds to share something. I don't see it as being anymore hopeful or naive than people who buy actual lottery tickets and expect to win.

Who cares? I shared it.

worst part is now there's more than one fake one out there. there's a new one that said he was going to give 10 million away or something like that, too lazy to post a picture of it.

regardless, all these facebook scams are getting so annoying. i'm resorting more and more to twitter

Archived