Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Beginner Football League for Young Adult?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Canuck919191

Canuck919191

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

Hi,

I'm a 21 year-old guy looking to get into football. Yeah, maybe it's a bit late, but I wasn't a fan at all as a kid growing up. Now I'm a huge fan and honestly think I can be good at it, at least at a lower level.

Just wondering if any beginner leagues exist (flag, touch or tackle) in the Lower Mainland area. Yes, I've googled it but couldn't come up with much except this:

http://www.topflightflagfootball.com/

I want to look at more options. Unfortunately, the school I'm at right now doesn't have a football team.

Any help, tips, advice, resources, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

*Didn't post in the Other Sports section because it's kind of dead.

#2 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,299 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

There is no beginner football leagues for real football. There's the differen't age groupings up until 19 years old I believe it is, and then you have the option of trying out for CJFL leagues or just to stop playing. I can't say anything about flag football though I've only ever played for north surrey.

21m9lso.jpg

#3 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,233 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

Rugby's better anyway. :P

But I'm sure there are leagues out there that'll take anyone (fit or not really, experienced or not at all), I'm just not aware of them since I don't play Ultimate/Dodge Ball/Flag Football/etc. I'd think there wouldn't be any beginners leagues for full American football (pads and everything), but check out Urban Rec for non-contact/flag leagues in Vancouver.

I should say you could try and walk on with a junior team in the CJFL as mentioned above. With no practical game experience you'd likely have to win a spot based on pure athletic ability, so you'd have to be really, really fast/fit/strong/etc. My brother played youth football and then stopped while he focused on his motocross career, but then went back to it in his last two years of eligibility and made the team with the Okanagan Sun.

Edited by elvis15, 03 December 2012 - 11:23 AM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#4 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,299 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

But I'm sure there are leagues out there that'll take anyone (fit or not really, experienced or not at all), I'm just not aware of them since I don't play Ultimate/Dodge Ball/Flag Football/etc. I'd think there wouldn't be any beginners leagues for full American football (pads and everything), but check out Urban Rec for non-contact leagues in Vancouver.

There is flag football for adults, but it is competetive. One of my friends and old teammates who will be joining the bc lions next season plays in it during the off season to help keep himself in semi-game shape as opposed to only weight training. I don't know how great it would be for a beginner since they are competetive, but unless you're an out of shape, slow runner, i'm sure you'd pick it up really quick

21m9lso.jpg

#5 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,233 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

There is flag football for adults, but it is competetive. One of my friends and old teammates who will be joining the bc lions next season plays in it during the off season to help keep himself in semi-game shape as opposed to only weight training. I don't know how great it would be for a beginner since they are competetive, but unless you're an out of shape, slow runner, i'm sure you'd pick it up really quick

I know people who had played in less competitive leagues but have no idea where or with who. I'm sure they're out there though. As you mentioned though, without fear of contact in a flag league, someone could be put in a really specific position and learn pretty quickly.

Edited by elvis15, 03 December 2012 - 11:22 AM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#6 Canuck919191

Canuck919191

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

There is no beginner football leagues for real football. There's the differen't age groupings up until 19 years old I believe it is, and then you have the option of trying out for CJFL leagues or just to stop playing. I can't say anything about flag football though I've only ever played for north surrey.

But I'm sure there are leagues out there that'll take anyone (fit or not really, experienced or not at all), I'm just not aware of them since I don't play Ultimate/Dodge Ball/Flag Football/etc. I'd think there wouldn't be any beginners leagues for full American football (pads and everything), but check out Urban Rec for non-contact/flag leagues in Vancouver.

I should say you could try and walk on with a junior team in the CJFL as mentioned above. With no practical game experience you'd likely have to win a spot based on pure athletic ability, so you'd have to be really, really fast/fit/strong/etc. My brother played youth football and then stopped while he focused on his motocross career, but then went back to it in his last two years of eligibility and made the team with the Okanagan Sun.

lol :P I like Rugby too, but it's probably not a good idea based on my body build and the position I want to play.

I don't know if I'll be able to make a CJFL team right off the bat with no prior experience. I'm decent athletically but not a monster lol. I'll look into it, though. Maybe I'll see if I can attend a practice or something to see if it's something I could jump into.

I know people who had played in less competitive leagues but have no idea where or with who. I'm sure they're out there though. As you mentioned though, without fear of contact in a flag league, someone could be put in a really specific position and learn pretty quickly.

I don't mind how competitive it is, especially if it's flag/touch football. The more competitive, the better :P I'll look into UrbanRec, as well.

Thanks guys :)

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.