The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Beginner Football League for Young Adult?

Canuck919191

Hi,

I'm a 21 year-old guy looking to get into football. Yeah, maybe it's a bit late, but I wasn't a fan at all as a kid growing up. Now I'm a huge fan and honestly think I can be good at it, at least at a lower level.

Just wondering if any beginner leagues exist (flag, touch or tackle) in the Lower Mainland area. Yes, I've googled it but couldn't come up with much except this:

http://www.topflightflagfootball.com/

I want to look at more options. Unfortunately, the school I'm at right now doesn't have a football team.

Any help, tips, advice, resources, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

*Didn't post in the Other Sports section because it's kind of dead.

There is no beginner football leagues for real football. There's the differen't age groupings up until 19 years old I believe it is, and then you have the option of trying out for CJFL leagues or just to stop playing. I can't say anything about flag football though I've only ever played for north surrey.

Rugby's better anyway. :P

But I'm sure there are leagues out there that'll take anyone (fit or not really, experienced or not at all), I'm just not aware of them since I don't play Ultimate/Dodge Ball/Flag Football/etc. I'd think there wouldn't be any beginners leagues for full American football (pads and everything), but check out Urban Rec for non-contact/flag leagues in Vancouver.

I should say you could try and walk on with a junior team in the CJFL as mentioned above. With no practical game experience you'd likely have to win a spot based on pure athletic ability, so you'd have to be really, really fast/fit/strong/etc. My brother played youth football and then stopped while he focused on his motocross career, but then went back to it in his last two years of eligibility and made the team with the Okanagan Sun.

Rugby's better anyway. :P

But I'm sure there are leagues out there that'll take anyone (fit or not really, experienced or not at all), I'm just not aware of them since I don't play Ultimate/Dodge Ball/Flag Football/etc. I'd think there wouldn't be any beginners leagues for full American football (pads and everything), but check out Urban Rec for non-contact leagues in Vancouver.

There is flag football for adults, but it is competetive. One of my friends and old teammates who will be joining the bc lions next season plays in it during the off season to help keep himself in semi-game shape as opposed to only weight training. I don't know how great it would be for a beginner since they are competetive, but unless you're an out of shape, slow runner, i'm sure you'd pick it up really quick

There is no beginner football leagues for real football. There's the differen't age groupings up until 19 years old I believe it is, and then you have the option of trying out for CJFL leagues or just to stop playing. I can't say anything about flag football though I've only ever played for north surrey.

Archived