The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linesman Dies After Attack By Youth Soccer Players In Holland

nuckin_futz

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands -- A Dutch man who was beaten and kicked by several football players after working as a linesman during a youth match died Monday.

Richard Nieuwenhuizen collapsed and was rushed to the hospital hours after players from Amsterdam club Nieuw Sloten punched and kicked him. Nieuwenhuizen's club, Buitenboys, said the 41-year-old linesman died Monday evening but did not announce the exact cause of death.

Three players, whose ages range from 15 to 16, were arrested earlier Monday for alleged involvement in the beating on Sunday in the town of Almere.

Dutch Sports Minister Edith Schippers told national broadcaster NOS even before the news of Nieuwenhuizen's death that "it is absolutely terrible that something like this can happen on a Dutch sports field."

Police spokeswoman Leonie Bosselaar said shortly before the linesman's death was announced that the players were still in custody and investigations were continuing. She added that police would not rule out arresting more suspects.

Nieuw Sloten said in a statement on its website it has banned the players involved and pulled their team out of the league.

The statement said such incidents "do not belong on a football field."

Both clubs cancelled all training scheduled for Monday.

Charge the parents as well as the little hoodlums. Maybe then they'll raise their children to have a little respect.

If you attack someone and they die of a heart attack, is that still murder?

I've always wondered that. I'm guessing it's not, because nobody could reasonably expect for someone to know if someone had heart problems.

It will be interesting to see what the outcome is.

Reminds me of the main reason I got tired of reffing, kids take it wayyyyyyyyyyyy too seriously, as if they're professionals... Never mind the parents who live vicariously through their 'success' and lose it when their precious little superstars don't have things go their way.

Reminds me of the main reason I got tired of reffing, kids take it wayyyyyyyyyyyy too seriously, as if they're professionals... Never mind the parents who live vicariously through their 'success' and lose it when their precious little superstars don't have things go their way.

If you attack someone and they die of a heart attack, is that still murder?

I've always wondered that. I'm guessing it's not, because nobody could reasonably expect for someone to know if someone had heart problems.

It will be interesting to see what the outcome is.

imo If you want to be a ref in any league, i think it helps if you're juiced up so you look like you'll crush the skulls of all who disagree with your calls.

I was reffing idiot-league floor hockey years ago.  Two man ref system.  Me and an ape.  Needless to say, the ape never made a bad call.

Archived