The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hobbit Thread

Bilbro Baggins

I'm still debating whether or not I'm going to go see it. The Hobbit is my favourite childhood novel and I feel like Jackson is going to ruin it. He's taking a fun little child's tale and turning it into an epic 3-part series. It's just....wrong, ugh. If I wasn't so emotionally attached to the book I probably would go see the movies because they might still be good in their own right. As it is, if I end up going I will have to sit in an aisle seat so I can run out crying and cursing Peter Jackson if I need to.

Definitely going. I'm still not sure how they're going to take such a short novel and turn it into three movies, but we'll see.

My kids have talked us into letting them go visit their cousins for Christmas, so it'll give the wife and I something to do....

...well, something else, anyway...

The Dwarves in the book were always entertaining, and had a sense of nobility about them. The few scenes they've shown they look like comic relief. Then again it's hard to compare other actors to John Rhys-Davies.

What I don't like is they are doing too much foreshadowing to the Lord of the Rings. It sort of changes the tone of the story.

But we'll see.

The Dwarves in the book were always entertaining, and had a sense of nobility about them. The few scenes they've shown they look like comic relief. Then again it's hard to compare other actors to John Rhys-Davies.

What I don't like is they are doing too much foreshadowing to the Lord of the Rings. It sort of changes the tone of the story.

But we'll see.

As for The Hobbit, I've been going back and forth on my "excitement meter." Definitely not as excited as I was for LOTR, but I think it's a bit unfair to compare The Hobbit to that. Different tone entirely and honestly cannot see that many people at all enjoying it more than LOTR.

That said, I still think it's going to be worth seeing, better than majority of any other films released this last year, and will certainly be more memorable in 10 years time than anything else released. Meaning, there will still be people rewatching The Hobbit in 10 years than there will be people rewatching Skyfall, Argo, Lincoln, etc. All good movies, just won't hold with the wider audience that The Hobbit can.

As for The Hobbit, I've been going back and forth on my "excitement meter." Definitely not as excited as I was for LOTR, but I think it's a bit unfair to compare The Hobbit to that. Different tone entirely and honestly cannot see that many people at all enjoying it more than LOTR.

That said, I still think it's going to be worth seeing, better than majority of any other films released this last year, and will certainly be more memorable in 10 years time than anything else released. Meaning, there will still be people rewatching The Hobbit in 10 years than there will be people rewatching Skyfall, Argo, Lincoln, etc. All good movies, just won't hold with the wider audience that The Hobbit can.

Archived