The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hobbit Thread

Bilbro Baggins

I figured this thread was necessary seeing as we are now less than 2 weeks away from December 14. This is by far my most anticipated movie and I have been following it since even before the Guillermo Del Toro days. The Lord of the Rings are my all-time favorite movies and I am an avid Tolkien fan. Just the thought Middle-Earth is coming back to the big screen makes me happy.

The Hobbit has already been getting some good reviews including a 9.3/10 rating on IMDB.

http://www.slashfilm...bs-at-radagast/

http://www.examiner....ackson-a-wizard

"The Hobbit" premiered in New Zealand, but it was the NY Daily News which posted the first review of the movie. Sort of.

Film critic Ethan Sacks published an article on Wednesday which was light on details but heavy in praise for Director Peter Jackson, who he proclaimed to be a "wizard" worthy of Gandalf himself.

The review itself is odd. It doesn't go into real specifics, other than listing the actors and remarking on the technical innovation of a new screening process. Perhaps Sacks is reserving full judgment until the movie screens in NYC on December 14?

But what he does say should whet the appetite of fans all around the world eagerly awaiting the mid-December roll out.

"Lighter and funnier than its 'Lord of the Rings' predecessors, 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' remains faithful to the fantasy world last seen in the 2003 Academy Award-winning 'The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.'"

So there's that.

Sacks does acknowledge the "eye-popping" quality of the controversial 48 frames-per-second format (twice the standard) and admits to being disconcerted by what he describes as the "obscenely corpulent Goblin King [barry Humphries] in such crystal clarity."

But, does it really matter? Does anyone expect the movie to bomb?

Tolkien purists may deride the added storytelling flourishes which plagued the original series brought to life by Peter Jackson. But it's fairly certain that most viewers will be richly satisfied by his efforts, which have always been first-rate.

What do you think? Will you go see the movie in theaters?

My expectations are surprisingly low, considering it just looks like a CGI fest, and some of the hobbits look really dumb to me.

I loved the LOTR series (mostly The Fellowship), so I hope I'll love it, but the newer trailers just don't do it for me, for some reason

My expectations are surprisingly low, considering it just looks like a CGI fest, and some of the hobbits look really dumb to me.

I loved the LOTR series (mostly The Fellowship), so I hope I'll love it, but the newer trailers just don't do it for me, for some reason

lol at a "Hey, that's fake!" comment aimed at The Hobbit, let lone LOTR and other cgi movies.

Let there be no doubt, without cgi, there is no live action LOTR or The Hobbit.

I think that cgi hasn't been overdone for these movies. It was required. But perhaps some of the cinematography is over the top. Can't blame Jackson for using the tools at his disposal.

Star Wars ep 1-3, however? Including the ridiculous Yoda fighting scene and of course the infamous Jar Jar Binks... Example of bad use of cgi, comparatively.

Archived