107 replies to this topic

#61 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,892 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

i also felt like the movie COMPLETELY lacked emotion (as opposed to the original films, where i probably cried more than i did as a baby, for whatever reason)

but to not be completely negative (which is difficult, since i had such high, high hopes)

i did like bilbo. i liked the dwarves. i did like ratagast, i did like the way the goblins/orcs looked (minus those dumb wolf things). i liked the shire. i could watch a movie JUST about the shire, for gods sake.

i thought it was visually far superior to the other movies, too. so there's that!

Edited by GLASSJAW, 15 December 2012 - 12:17 PM.

1999_1.jpg

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#62 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

did anyone find jackson's camera work to be just tedious?

the way we'd see the hobbits (or whatever) walking along a cliffside, and the camera pulls back, and off to the side?

yes, jackson, we get it, the world is majestic and we have a nice scaled model

there was literally that same shot / camera 'technique' done about 35 times in the movie. that weird angled pull back.

UGH

What annoyed me about cinematics is what I call the hero scenes.. where it would provide a frontal camera shot of someone and they'd do a dance with a weapon against some enemy in.. slow... motion. The only time I enjoyed that kind of fighting was for the Matrix, and it was very briefly enjoyed.

What a way to kill the intensity and vibe.

Edited by zaibatsu, 15 December 2012 - 12:17 PM.

#63 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,892 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

i don't remember a single slow motion shot, am i crazy?

1999_1.jpg

#64 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

i don't remember a single slow motion shot, am i crazy?

There were many of Thorin.

In the LOTR trilogy it was often fights including Aragorn, or Boromir, a few of Frodo.. one against Gollum.

When I mentioned it to my wife she didn't seem to know what I was talking about.. after reminding her she remembered.. it must be my ADHD as to how I pick up so often on it I dunno.

#65 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,892 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

oooh, yeah, towards the end I remember a few of thorin. i guess it didn't bother me at the time, but now i definitely remember

i do remember the goblin cave thing had ridiculously fast cuts and edits, though. i couldn't even tell what was going on half the time

1999_1.jpg

#66 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,561 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

did you read the book before?

I have not read LOTR still. I didnt like the movie much when FOTR came out since I didnt know the story. But after watching all 3, I became a huge fan, and have watched the trilogy esp the extended edition so many times.

Yeah I read all the books fairly young.

did anyone find jackson's camera work to be just tedious?

the way we'd see the hobbits (or whatever) walking along a cliffside, and the camera pulls back, and off to the side?

yes, jackson, we get it, the world is majestic and we have a nice scaled model

there was literally that same shot / camera 'technique' done about 35 times in the movie. that weird angled pull back.

UGH

Actually I thought the camera work was really well done. It's a technique used and I can understand someone not liking it but in general it works quite well.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#67 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,892 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

Yeah I read all the books fairly young.

Actually I thought the camera work was really well done. It's a technique used and I can understand someone not liking it but in general it works quite well.

it would have been effective (for me) had it been done a lot less, but i remember there being a span of like 10 minutes, where that same pullback thing was done about 3-4 times, it just seemed excessive, where it could have been really powerful at times.

1999_1.jpg

#68 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,892 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

i haven't read the hobbit in years and years. was ratagast in it? or is that a silmarilion (or whatever) thing?

1999_1.jpg

#69 cj_coolcat

cj_coolcat

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

Can anyone who's seen the movie and read the book tell me whether going to see it would cause someone who's favourite childhood novel was The Hobbit to run screaming and crying from the theatre? What I mean is, how badly does he mess with the book, on a scale of 1-10?

I know this is generally a stupid reason to hate a movie but honestly it's the reason I'm still debating whether to go see it. I will definitely wait for the crowds to die down at least so I don't have the added insult of having to wait in line for an hour.
QUOTE (kanadahockey @ Aug 20 2009, 08:48 AM) ah yes, comparing Natives to stray dogs wasn't critical of the Natives, it was actually critical of the Whites. How very White Man's Burden of you. Pip, pip and all that - let's retire to the library for cucumber sandwiches.

#70 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

I hope they let Peter Jackson make The Silmarillion, it's my favorite Tolkien of all.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#71 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,561 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

it would have been effective (for me) had it been done a lot less, but i remember there being a span of like 10 minutes, where that same pullback thing was done about 3-4 times, it just seemed excessive, where it could have been really powerful at times.

Yeah I can see where you're coming from. It really didn't seem to make any difference for me at all though. I wouldn't even have thought about it if you hadn't brought it up or if I wasn't looking for it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#72 Canuck_83

Canuck_83

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

did any of you watch it in 3D ? if so, how did it look ?

I thought it was pretty well done. There were times where my eye flinched a little because I thought something (like, say, a bug) was really flying towards me.

Wife and I saw it in IMAX 3D last night, as far as visuals and sound are concerned, it was awesome. The stone giants game/fight was stunning on screen as well.

What was weird to me was the extensively long Star Trek preview which felt like 10-15 minutes long.

I kinda wanted to see it in IMAX after I found out there was going to be an extended preview of Star Trek, but we had already bought tix.

#73 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

it's the first movie preview i've seen in about 6 months where my wife actually came out and said "I want to see that"

What? You keep her locked in the basement or something?

I hope they let Peter Jackson make The Silmarillion, it's my favorite Tolkien of all.

I would enjoy that as well but do you know how hard that would be to pull off? They'd have to make a separate movie for each chapter.

Speaking if which, how did they manage to make three movies out if it? Even two would have been stretching it a bit.

Two movies per book for Lord of the Rings would have been better, I think they're going backwards here....

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 15 December 2012 - 05:36 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#74 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

i haven't read the hobbit in years and years. was ratagast in it? or is that a silmarilion (or whatever) thing?

Yes, he was.

In fact one of the scenes involving him was one of the most entertaining of Part 1.

Also, this is why I save my SCENE points.. nothing beats a free IMAX film..

Posted Image

#75 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

I haven't watched the movie yet but if you mean was Radagast in the book then no he was not.

He is in the movie however.

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 15 December 2012 - 05:34 PM.

#76 Bilbro Baggins

Bilbro Baggins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:31 AM

I loved this movie. I can understand how people could see that the pacing was off and that it is too drawn out or detailed, but I for one loved that about this movie. I thought the tone matched that of the book surprisingly well. The acting was phenomenal and the CGI was amazing. I also loved how well they tied it in with the Fellowship, it was masterfully done. Once the movie had ended, I felt the need to watch it again. I rarely ever get that with movies, usually once is enough then I can wait until it is released on DVD. The ending leaves you wanting more and I already cannot wait for part 2.

Looking back on the movie, there is nothing that I didn't like about it. Hell, I thought I was going to hate Radagast, but ended up liking him a surprising amount. In regards to the 48 frames per second; I was immediately shocked by the clarity of the movie, but it took a couple minutes to get used to it. The first scene of Bilbo looked like it was in fast forward, but after that when it showed a flashback to the Dwarven land of Erebor everything looked beautiful.

All in all, it isn't as good as the Lord of the Rings movies, but is still a great cinematic experience. I would rate it an 87/100. I have a feeling the next two movies will be even better.

Posted Image

#77 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

I totally enjoyed the movie saw it in AVX 3d and wanted more when it was over. 8/10

#78 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

I'm expecting it to be the worst out of the three hobbit movies just because it is the build up. The same happened with the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and the Fellowship of the Ring.

#79 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,888 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:18 AM

I'm expecting it to be the worst out of the three hobbit movies just because it is the build up. The same happened with the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and the Fellowship of the Ring.

Personally I think the Two Towers was the worst of the LOTR film series.

#80 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

Personally I think the Two Towers was the worst of the LOTR film series.

The extended edition improved it dramatically for me.

#81 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,892 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

fellowship is the best of the original trilogy, imo, by leaps and bounds

1999_1.jpg

#82 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

Second that.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#83 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,071 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

Already post my review in the last movie I watched thread, but I would give The Hobbit a 9/10. Absolutely loved it. As some of said, the frame rate at 48fps took getting used to, and absolutely looked sped up in the first 5-10 minutes. However, once the troll scene came, I was used to the frame rate at that point. Coincidentally, that's also when the film picked up.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#84 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,810 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

my wife and I both enjoyed it very much, but we thought the 3d really didn't add much. I'd advise people to not bother paying extra for the 3D. We wouldn't have bothered ourselves but my parents and brother came, and my dad and brother insisted on 3D.

#85 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,810 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

same, followed by the return of the king.

#86 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,992 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

I'll probably go see it tonight or tomorrow.

I am a bit concerned about them stretching this into three movies. I've only seen the Lord of the Rings trilogy once because I don't have the interest in sitting through three multi-hour movies...

#87 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

I'll probably go see it tonight or tomorrow.

I am a bit concerned about them stretching this into three movies. I've only seen the Lord of the Rings trilogy once because I don't have the interest in sitting through three multi-hour movies...

If you ask me The Lord of the Rings was the one that needed to be made as multiple movies a book, not The Hobbit

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 18 December 2012 - 06:20 PM.

#88 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,992 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

If you ask me The Lord of the Rings was the one that needed to be made as multiple movies a book, not The Hobbit

I don't think I could have handled any longer of Eowyn or Rohan.... Zzzzzzz

#89 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

I don't think I could have handled any longer of Eowyn or Rohan.... Zzzzzzz

Ha ha, yeah, that's the reason the studio wouldn't let Jackson make more than a movie per book, they didn't think the average moviegoer would want to sit through six, four+ hour movies.

Now I think Jakson is just saying F you to the studio by making The Hobbit into three movies.

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 18 December 2012 - 06:33 PM.

#90 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

watch the movie today not in 3D.........there is something about it that feel there is a lot of special effect use more than lord of the rings combine......especially for certain characters

Edited by canuck_trevor16, 18 December 2012 - 09:33 PM.

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.