The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

trades to shake up core and get a lil younger

Alright lets start with the first trade and break it down. Why would a team like Vancouver want Orlov, and where did you get the solid two way defensemen part from. Have you never seen him play, and just look at his stats to justify that statement. Vancouver's defense is good enough, and we don't need another player in the press box, because there is no room on our blue line. The following is a quote from Hockey's future that states that Orlov is a freelancing offensive minded blueliner. His defensive game could be refined, but in no way is he a two way defensemen at this point in his career. If you look further down on the site, it also says that at this stage in his career he still needs to develop defensive aspects of his game. Thus this disproves your statement judging how good he is.

Talent Analysis

Orlov is a talented, smooth skating offensive defenseman who prefers to press the attack and create scoring opportunities at all times. His freelancing at times creates openings for the opposition, but Orlov is a constant threat. He is a decent sized player with a strong core but does not play an overly physical game. His strong suit is his creativity and high skill level which allows him to execute the complex plays he conceives. His shooting is accurate if not powerful and he is also adept at finding teammates with quick passes.

Dallas may actually do that. And yes, Montreal definitely could use Benn. However, I don't think they need him at the expense of giving up Subban. Montreal is already a small team and look even worse on defense. Giving up Subban who has the size, offensive output for a dman, and is their best defenseman would be a bad move.Also, for marketing purposes, Subban is a gold mine for selling jersey vs. Benn.

I disagree; both sides should be better off keeping their young stud.  Dallas without Benn looks terribly small and thin up the middle (Roy, Eakin, Fiddler and Wandell would be their center group and Eakin's still unproven, their biggest guy would also only be 6'1" (Wandell)) unless somehow Faksa plays his way into the Top 6-- considering he's still in the OHL that's highly unlikely.  Dallas' D-group is actually not bad already.

Montreal would look better up front but on the back they'd be going with

Gorges - Markov (defensive D - injury-prone star)

Emelin - Kaberle (big hitter, not much else - offensive D-man in decline)

mishmash of Bouillon, Diaz and Weber in the third pair, unless Beaulieu and Tinordi are ready to step in, which may give the Habs more incentive (and depth on the back end) to make this trade

ya its unfortunate that they resign raymond hes overrated anyone who thinks hes good is stupid all he does is skate fast and fall on his ass. rather throw 2.3 mill on a tough 4th line thats dependable.

alandeen you have no clue about values on hockey players. hansen is a hardworker but hes not untradeable.

orlov was amazing in playoffs was one of caps best defenseman and one goal nineteen assists and plus one in sixty regular games most mean he isnt that bad. plus he makes 3.4 mill less than ballard on his entry level contract id sayvthat would be a perfect 5th dman.

Read the article on gills talking about corrado i could see him playing next yr up on the bigs gillis even said he wants players like him to help with cap hits on team. Hes on team canada camp and probably will make the team.

I love how you never directly respond to me, and yet you try to take on posters around me. My points are well developed, and in the article Gillis is talking about why Corrado got games with the Wolves last season after his junior season ended. He wanted Corrado to know he could play in the AHL at this moment, and no where does he say that he is ready to push for an NHL spot. The part about how important it is to get kids on NHL entry level contracts due to the salary cap does not imply Corrado. I'm not sure if you understand, but most defensemen can't just spend one season in the AHL and step right into the NHL. At this moment, He is not even in the AHL, but is playing in the OHL. You always say that you want a tough 4th liner who can play big minutes.

Where would you throw this money on... is he a free agent, would it be through trade, or perhaps would we be resigning one of our prospects to play that role as they develop? The points Orlov put up were in the regular season. However this is the part where you will be hurt in the argument.

You said that Orlov was amazing for the caps in the playoffs.... I fail to see how someone can be amazing without playing in a single playoff game.

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8475200&view=stats

Unless of course you mean the Hershey Bears.... or in the KHL. However you did state that he was the "Caps" best defensemen. Really you should know what your talking about.

I love how you never directly respond to me, and yet you try to take on posters around me. My points are well developed, and in the article Gillis is talking about why Corrado got games with the Wolves last season after his junior season ended. He wanted Corrado to know he could play in the AHL at this moment, and no where does he say that he is ready to push for an NHL spot. The part about how important it is to get kids on NHL entry level contracts due to the salary cap does not imply Corrado. I'm not sure if you understand, but most defensemen can't just spend one season in the AHL and step right into the NHL. At this moment, He is not even in the AHL, but is playing in the OHL. You always say that you want a tough 4th liner who can play big minutes.

Where would you throw this money on... is he a free agent, would it be through trade, or perhaps would we be resigning one of our prospects to play that role as they develop? The points Orlov put up were in the regular season. However this is the part where you will be hurt in the argument.

You said that Orlov was amazing for the caps in the playoffs.... I fail to see how someone can be amazing without playing in a single playoff game.

http://capitals.nhl....5200&view=stats

Unless of course you mean the Hershey Bears.... or in the KHL. However you did state that he was the "Caps" best defensemen. Really you should know what your talking about.

1. Washington doesn't do it, Orlov is worth more than Hansen, and from our end I don't think we should do it either, the deal just isn't a fit. We don't need a D-man like Orlov, and Hansen seems to carry most of the heart and soul of our team. He would probably be more beneifical to our playoff success, and overall success than Orlov would. No for both sides.

2. Dallas would never do this, Benn is there future.

3. We wouldn't need Gunnarsson since we wouldn't be trading Edler. So it is tough to respond to this. Other than to say I think we should try to get Bozak for sure, then we should be looking at maybe also getting either Biggs, or Kadri (or both) them maybe an early round pick if possible (1-3), atleast those are the things I'm interested in.

4. Jokes aside, Raymond is still an asset. And to give him away for nothing doesn't seem smart. There's still a chance he regains form, and if not worse case scenerio is that his speed is used effectively on the 4th line, and that option is better than giving him away for nothing.

And for future reference could you organize your proposal's better and use proper spelling and punctuation, or atleast something better than you do now.

heres my proposal

1st trade- capitals dmitri orlov for janick hansen

solid 2way 3rd pair dman 19 points last yr in 60 games due to call up due to injuries.

have to give sonethng to get a good player.

2nd trade- stars jamie benn 2nd round pick for alex edler.

edler will be a ufa next yr unless we resign him. plus he has a bad back. this ones risky

does it seem like a fair trade or would we want more for him?

the way i look at one of either ballard or edlers will be gone.

we as a team have to many four million dmen ones gotta give

bieska 4.6 hamhuis 4.5 ballard 4.2 garrison 4.6 edler could get 7 mill in offseason or more

specially with wings and flyers drooling over any big name ufa dman.

3rd trade- bobby luo for tyler bozak karl gunnarson 2nd rounder

do you think thats fair or would you want leafs first round pick instead of 2nd??

4th trade raymond for a bag of bbq dorito chips or give him a one way ticket to siberia.

sign a free agent 4th liner thats gritty any ideas let me know.

new lines would look like this ....

sedin sedin burrows - old steady line

benn kesler booth - this line would be fast and score bunches

kassian bozak higgins - hard working 3rd

manny lapps freeagent - shutdown line

bieska hamhuis solid first pair

ballard garrison scores and defensive

orlov gunnarson cheaper third pair responsible

alberts

tanev connauton corrado fight for spots next yr

schneider

backup plug or lack

good or bad ??

Actually some pretty good proposals there, but that defence looks a bit shaky. I don't trust Ballard with top-4 minutes, and having two relatively young guys on our bottom pairing along with Tanev coming up might be risky.

For me, Edler is the perfect all-around defenceman which is something every Cup winner has and something we've lacked for years, so we should be building our defence around him rather than Hamhuis and Bieksa. Edler's play is suited for the playoffs, whereas guys like Gunarsson and Orlov don't have that experience or style of play.

Actually some pretty good proposals there, but that defence looks a bit shaky. I don't trust Ballard with top-4 minutes, and having two relatively young guys on our bottom pairing along with Tanev coming up might be risky.

For me, Edler is the perfect all-around defenceman which is something every Cup winner has and something we've lacked for years, so we should be building our defence around him rather than Hamhuis and Bieksa. Edler's play is suited for the playoffs, whereas guys like Gunarsson and Orlov don't have that experience or style of play.

I think if we traded Edler, we'd need to trade Luongo for a really good defenseman as well. I like the idea of trading Edler for a young forward, but if we don't replace him, our defence seems a little weak.

I just don't feel comfortable having Ballard being a full-time top-4 D-man, and I don't think Orlov can handle the job either.

I think if we traded Edler, we'd need to trade Luongo for a really good defenseman as well. I like the idea of trading Edler for a young forward, but if we don't replace him, our defence seems a little weak.

I just don't feel comfortable having Ballard being a full-time top-4 D-man, and I don't think Orlov can handle the job either.

Archived