• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,904 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

North Side family says prized puppy was unjustly shot by cop

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

CHICAGO (FOX 32 News) - A North Side family is furious over what they claim was an unjustified police shooting of their 7-month-old miniature bull terrier, Colonel Phillips, known to the neighborhood as "The Colonel."

Residents are also upset, not just because police shot a puppy they all knew, but also because the shooting occurred not far from a preschool, on a street where pedestrians including children could have been hurt.

The dog's father was a champion show dog and his owners hoped he would one day be a show dog himself.

"They look like Spuds Mckenzie. You've seen the Target ad? One of those, but they're miniatures," owner Al Phillips says of the breed.

But on Saturday afternoon, the Colonel became a target himself. He was shot by a Chicago Police officer in front of his owner's gated, North Side home. Police were writing a parking ticket for a van belonging to Al Phillips, so Phillips came out to move the vehicle.

"My little bull terrier followed me out," Phillips explains. "Then, all I hear is boom! Boom! Two shots. You shot the dog!"

One eyewitness, Charlene Dezego, told FOX 32 News that she heard the officer warned Phillips about the dog being loose, but the officer never sounded like he was in danger.
"All of sudden I heard him say, ‘get your dog,' and then the next statement was ‘get your dog,' and then he just pulled out his gun and shot twice," says Dezengo.

Morgan Phillips, Al's daughter, rushed the dog to an emergency vet.

"He needed five hours surgery. They took shrapnel out of his stomach. He had shell casing in his leg. It lacerated his muscle. We were going to show him, but we can't now," Morgan says.
While FOX 32's Larry Yellen was interviewing the dog's owners, two police officers drove by the home. 90 minutes later, they came back, asked why Phillips why he had contacted the media and gave him a ticket for not keeping Colonel on a leash.

"They were giving us a ticket, three days after the fact," says Phillips. "So I think they're probably trying to cover their rear ends."

A police spokesman says the shooting is being investigated by the independent police review authority, which investigates all police shootings.

The Phillips family says they're considering a petition drive to have the officer who shot their dog taken off the streets.

They also say that after shooting the dog, the officer put his gun back in his holster, and calmly finished writing the ticket for their van.

http://www.myfoxchic...e#ixzz2E86HjQa9

Edited by key2thecup, 04 December 2012 - 04:45 PM.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#2 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

Keep your dogs on a leash. Why is that so hard to understand. Not saying the officer was right in shooting but it seems like the animal should have been easily controlled preventing this whole drama in the first place.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#3 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

POPULAR

This reminds me of something that happened earlier this summer. I was walking my dog on the Varley, and this older man and his wife walk by me, shooting me a dirty look in the process (I now know why). As they're walking ahead of me and my dog, another older couple is walking in our direction, and their little dog (I think it was one of those little bulldogs if memory serves me correctly) starts yapping at mine and starts running to my dog to say hi. The little pup's tail is wagging the whole time.

As she ran beside (not towards) the couple walking in front of us to get to my dog, the man just turned around and full-on booted the dog through the air, off the trail. I had to break up the fight between the owner and the dog-kicker, who claims he was defending himself from being attacked by this 20 pound puppy. When the dog-kicking couple went and got the park ranger (because the dog was off the leash, they thought they could get the owner fined), he then said that if he had a gun, the owner's dog would've been dead. Just because it was running past him.

Some people just hate/fear animals and really truly believe it's within their rights to attack or kill them, and will search for their excuse to make it socially acceptable. fracked up people.

Keep your dogs on a leash. Why is that so hard to understand. Not saying the officer was right in shooting but it seems like the animal should have been easily controlled preventing this whole drama in the first place.

Who leashes a dog inside a house? The blame is entirely on the cop here, you don't just shoot a dog for no reason. If a dog is being dangerous you can tell; you can read them like a book. It's people who are unpredictable.

Edited by Witchcraft and Sedinery, 04 December 2012 - 04:59 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Stizz19

Stizz19

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

As she ran beside (not towards) the couple walking in front of us to get to my dog, the man just turned around and full-on booted the dog through the air, off the trail. I had to break up the fight between the owner and the dog-kicker, who claims he was defending himself from being attacked by this 20 pound puppy. When the dog-kicking couple went and got the park ranger (because the dog was off the leash, they thought they could get the owner fined), he then said that if he had a gun, the owner's dog would've been dead. Just because it was running past him.

Some people just hate/fear animals and really truly believe it's within their rights to attack or kill them, and will search for their excuse to make it socially acceptable. fracked up people.

Why did you break up the fight? I would have helped stomp the dog kicker in this situation.

#5 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,904 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

A 7-month little puppy following its owner scared this grown man officer into discharging his firearm?

They also say that after shooting the dog, the officer put his gun back in his holster, and calmly finished writing the ticket for their van.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#6 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

Why did you break up the fight? I would have helped stomp the dog kicker in this situation.

When he later said he would've kicked my dog if he had 'threatened' him in such a way, believe me I wanted to pummel the crap out of him. Cowardly little redneck of a man. But he was on his back on the dirt about to get beaten to a pulp if I didn't step in.

Edited by Witchcraft and Sedinery, 04 December 2012 - 05:22 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,038 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

You leash up your dog when he/she's in the house?

Seriously now, Ed. Come on.

RIP LB RR PD

#8 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,942 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

Situation avoidable in so many ways.

-Why are you parking illegally in front of your own house?
-Why does parking ticket vendor need a gun?
-Why was the bull terrier loose? Esp. a 7 month old one. Big enough to do damage, dumb enough to try.
-Why was the first instinct to shoot the dog?
-Where was the owner during the shooting? Shouldn't he be right there next to the dog if it's loose?

They're lucky the dog lived. Maybe next time everyone involved can act a lot more responsibly.
Posted Image

#9 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

You leash up your dog when he/she's in the house?

Seriously now, Ed. Come on.

he didn't control the dog and allowed it to leave the yard.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#10 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

Situation avoidable in so many ways.

-Why are you parking illegally in front of your own house?
-Why does parking ticket vendor need a gun?
-Why was the bull terrier loose? Esp. a 7 month old one. Big enough to do damage, dumb enough to try.
-Why was the first instinct to shoot the dog?
-Where was the owner during the shooting? Shouldn't he be right there next to the dog if it's loose?

They're lucky the dog lived. Maybe next time everyone involved can act a lot more responsibly.

reread the article and it will answer some of your questions.
I can't park in front of my house either without fear of getting a ticket.

#11 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

he didn't control the dog and allowed it to leave the yard.

Yup and if it was a puppy it should have been even easier to control. From what I see here the owner is at fault for not securing the animal. None of us were there to see ourselves what happened. All we get are 'dolled' up photos. I don't pass judgement on the officer unless I was there or hear eye witness testimony.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#12 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,668 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

Yup and if it was a puppy it should have been even easier to control. From what I see here the owner is at fault for not securing the animal. None of us were there to see ourselves what happened. All we get are 'dolled' up photos. I don't pass judgement on the officer unless I was there or hear eye witness testimony.

One eyewitness, Charlene Dezego, told FOX 32 News that she heard the officer warned Phillips about the dog being loose, but the officer never sounded like he was in danger.
"All of sudden I heard him say, ‘get your dog,' and then the next statement was ‘get your dog,' and then he just pulled out his gun and shot twice," says Dezengo.

Given that testimony it sounded like he might have overreacted.

I'm just happy the lil' guys okay.
Posted Image

#13 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,294 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

Officer was wrong to shoot the dog, but the owner was negligent in allowing it to get out. The incident was totally preventable. Cop definitely overreacted though.

My puppy is about a year old. When I have to go outside I do everything I can so he doesn't get out just to avoid any possible problems.

Posted Image

#14 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

Or not having a ???? idiot like that on the police force could have avoided the whole drama, the guys dog was following him out it doesn't sound like it was anywhere near the officer.

#15 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

Given that testimony it sounded like he might have overreacted.

Well. I hear 3 versions already,
the owner that says the cop gave no warning,
the lady who said the cop gave multiple warnings but "didn't sound like he was in danger"
and the cop who felt protecting himself was necessary.

Kinda funny how that works now isn't it?

Edited by hudson bay rules, 04 December 2012 - 05:54 PM.

#16 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,647 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

I sometimes let my dog walk down the driveway and nearby grass to do his business, but I always make sure that no one is around as he does not always react well to other dogs. However, shooting the dog seems a little excessive. Its a puppy.

I do remember walking my dog once in my neighbourhood, when a woman came jogging around the corner, with her two dogs unleashed running ahead of her. Before I can do anything, her dogs are barking and getting worked up with my dog who is doing the same. Meanwhile, I'm trying to control my dog, while the woman is still nearly 30ft away.

Don't see why she couldn't have them leashed while jogging.

#17 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

I sometimes let my dog walk down the driveway and nearby grass to do his business, but I always make sure that no one is around as he does not always react well to other dogs. However, shooting the dog seems a little excessive. Its a puppy.

I do remember walking my dog once in my neighbourhood, when a woman came jogging around the corner, with her two dogs unleashed running ahead of her. Before I can do anything, her dogs are barking and getting worked up with my dog who is doing the same. Meanwhile, I'm trying to control my dog, while the woman is still nearly 30ft away.

Don't see why she couldn't have them leashed while jogging.

you do realize that by definition a puppy is less experienced and therefore more unpredictable don't you?

#18 Charlie.the.Unicorn

Charlie.the.Unicorn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

Look at the pictures of the dog now. At 7 months, he is pretty much full grown and his head is as big as a childs. That dog can do some damage. He was also not inside the house but outside of the gate near the street. The officer should have never shot the dog, but the owner just sounds like an idiot. "The officer didn't sound like he was in danger".

Some people don't like dogs, I can't see why, but, as a dog owner it is your responsibility to watch over the welfare of your animal, and not that of others.

#19 Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Squirrels.Gone.Wild

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

I think both sides were wrong.

The officer completely overreacted, but at the same time the owner shouldn't have had his unleashed puppy near the street to begin with. I have a puppy and would never let her near the street without a leash. Like Hudson Bay Rules said, Puppies are unpredictable and have a tendency to not listen. You're just asking for trouble when you let them run free.

Edited by Squirrels.Gone.Wild, 04 December 2012 - 07:28 PM.

#20 LostViking

LostViking

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

Shooting the dog was cowardly. If the cop really felt threatened, pulling out his baton or pepper spray should have been enough to put his mind at ease. That being said, dog owners should always be aware that people will react if they feel threatened. You need to keep your dog controlled for that reason, not to be courteous to the strangers you encounter, but to keep your pet safe.

Its like walking down a dark alley by yourself at night and getting mugged, you can complain all you want about how mugging people is wrong and how the mugger is a bad guy, and you would be entirely correct, but it doesn't change the fact that avoiding that alley would have been a good idea. Sure you are technically allowed to walk down that alley, and its not like you should have been mugged or deserved it, but only an idiot knowingly puts themselves into that kind of situation.

When it comes to dogs, keeping them safe is always a good idea, if you see a man with a gun, you don't let your dog run up to them unleashed, particularly any dog associated with any sort of aggressive reputation. It's still the cop's fault the dog got shot, but that is one stupid dog owner.

Edited by LostViking, 04 December 2012 - 07:56 PM.

Posted Image

#21 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,739 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

I hope the officer's name gets leaked and the matter solves itself. A dog being off leash isn't justification to shoot it.

#22 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

I can't believe anyone on here would justify this cops actions...Unbelievable. These people clearly don't own dogs, and are the reason dogs have to be on a leash in the first place.

If a dog is well behaved and is not a threat to anyone, it should be able to be off the leash, at least on your own property, if not anywhere else. For christ sakes, what kind of world do we live in where people think it's ever just for a police officer to shoot someone or something without their lives being in absolute danger?

Edited by DeNiro, 04 December 2012 - 08:25 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#23 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,259 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

The article says that the home is gated. If my yard were gated, I wouldn't bother leashing my dog, I'd give her the run of the yard.

The dog apparently followed the owner outside, when he went to move his van. It was certainly a case of the owner not paying close enough attention to the actions of his pet, but one would hope that such a simple mistake would have far less severe consequences than the discharge of a firearm.

Clearly a case of a gun happy cop.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#24 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,739 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

This story is really buggin' me.

I'm so glad to live where we do. I always walk Harrison off-leash (he's only leashed when we see other dogs) and even when we see police, they'll usually just stop and call him over for petting.

#25 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

This story is really buggin' me.

I'm so glad to live where we do. I always walk Harrison off-leash (he's only leashed when we see other dogs) and even when we see police, they'll usually just stop and call him over for petting.

Yes, this is called normal society. Where pets are treated as companions and friends, and not some ticking time bomb that's ready to go off on people.

I feel sorry for people who never grew up with animals.

Posted Image

#26 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

I give leave to officials especially ones that feel threatened. None of us were there and we should give the trained officer the benefit of the doubt until he is proven to be in the wrong

#27 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,259 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

I give leave to officials especially ones that feel threatened. None of us were there and we should give the trained officer the benefit of the doubt until he is proven to be in the wrong

I wasn't there, but a person who was there said this:

Doesn't sound life-threatening to me. YMMV
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#28 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

Sorry, but if a police officer doesn't have enough common sense to know the difference between a small 7 month old puppy, and a ferocious attack dog, then he shouldn't be a police officer in the first place. This is the type of cop that winds up shooting a kid playing with a toy gun.

And If a cop comes on my property without just cause and shoots my dog, you better believe it's his fault and he's gonna lose his job for it.

Edited by DeNiro, 04 December 2012 - 08:39 PM.

Posted Image

#29 Dral

Dral

Puts the Dr in Drunk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

Screw that noise! Lets string him up now in the court of public opinion!

Fruits?

Lord Peaches' gut is telling him that the drunken fool, aka Dral, is 100% mafia.

MVP?

Dral is 100% mafia or I will masteb_ _ _ _ a cow and like it

GOATis?

Vig kill dral he never talks like this when he's not mafia.

#30 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

I wasn't there, but a person who was there said this:

Doesn't sound life-threatening to me. YMMV

why should it be life threatening?

shouldn't bodily harm be sufficient?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.