83 replies to this topic

#31 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

Sorry, but if a police officer doesn't have enough common sense to know the difference between a small 7 month old puppy, and a ferocious attack dog, then he shouldn't be a police officer in the first place. This is the type of cop that winds up shooting a kid playing with a toy gun.

And If a cop comes on my property without just cause and shoots my dog, you better believe it's his fault and he's gonna lose his job for it.

the dog seems to be aggressive and not on private property in this case
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#32 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

I wasn't there, but a person who was there said this:

Doesn't sound life-threatening to me. YMMV

you prefer an officer who is rattled? seems to me he was calm and calculated in his approach.

#33 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,980 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

know how this could have been avoided?

(cat picture)

Edited by GLASSJAW, 05 December 2012 - 02:04 AM.

marge.jpg

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#34 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,485 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

Screw that noise! Lets string him up now in the court of public opinion!

How about just the court of common sense?

The only question you need to ask was whether the cops life was being threatened in any way. Any reasonable person would say, no it wasn't because a dog like that is not big enough or strong enough to do any real damage.

Sorry but getting your ankles bitten is not a justification for a cop to discharge his firearm. His life was not in any danger, and therefore he had no right to fire his gun. A simple boot to the snout would have been more than sufficient.

The cops do not have a license to kill. They're not judge and jury, and they need to be held accountable when they make mistakes like this.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#35 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

what about any of the story suggests the dog was aggessive? it was following the owner out of his house

#36 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

what about any of the story suggests the dog was aggessive? it was following the owner out of his house

Exactly! Damn that reading something into a story that isn't even there, eh? :lol:

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#37 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

you prefer an officer who is rattled? seems to me he was calm and calculated in his approach.

Serial killers can be calm and calculated too. They also tend to shoot for no reason at living things.
Posted Image

#38 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,485 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

None of that was in the article so you're simply speculating.

If the dog was shot on their front lawn, it was on their property.

Either way, any person who uses their gun before their brain isn't fit to be a police officer.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#39 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

Have you ever had a dog? Mine follows no matter where I go, even sits outside the bathroom waiting when I am taking a dump. That's what good dogs do.

#40 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

Have you ever had a dog? Mine follows no matter where I go, even sits outside the bathroom waiting when I am taking a dump. That's what good dogs do.

Yup, exactly what my dog was like. Followed me everywhere. Now my cat does the same thing :P

Was the cop this guy by any chance?
Posted Image

#41 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,501 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

Situation avoidable in so many ways.

-Why are you parking illegally in front of your own house?
-Why does parking ticket vendor need a gun?
-Why was the bull terrier loose?  Esp. a 7 month old one.  Big enough to do damage, dumb enough to try.
-Why was the first instinct to shoot the dog?
-Where was the owner during the shooting?  Shouldn't he be right there next to the dog if it's loose?

They're lucky the dog lived.  Maybe next time everyone involved can act a lot more responsibly.

Why isn't he neutered yet?
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

#42 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

yes i have, did you even read what i wrote? the guy said the dog was being aggressive and i was pointing out all it was doing was following the owner out of his house

#43 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,249 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:02 AM

you do realize that by definition a puppy is less experienced and therefore more unpredictable don't you?

you do realize that you are repeatedly defending someone shooting a puppy don't you?

for christsake, it's pretty easy to see what happened here reading between the lines - the guy saw he was getting a ticket, ran out of his house as fast as he could, the puppy got excited as puppies tend to do, and ran after him.

despicable that anyone would try to defend this action.

#44 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,249 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:03 AM

7 mo. is the earliest you should neuter a pup, 8mo. - 1yr. is ideal.

#45 Ovech Trick

Ovech Trick

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:06 AM

Meanwhile in Colorado

http://www.examiner....munity-outraged
Posted Image

Capitalist Hockey League - Minnesota Wild GM

#46 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:20 AM

Meanwhile in Colorado

http://www.examiner....munity-outraged

wow and i thought the one in Chicago was bad, some real winners on the police force down there

#47 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:56 AM

The dog was double parked. It got what it deserved.

#48 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

Keep your dogs on a leash. Why is that so hard to understand. Not saying the officer was right in shooting but it seems like the animal should have been easily controlled preventing this whole drama in the first place.

I'm sorry but you sir are wrong. If the dog is on your own property, you don't have to have it on a leash. And since the yard was fenced in, even if it was an aggressive dog, the officer was still not in danger. Stupid cop, he should be punished
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#49 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

Cop must of been playing call of duty before his shift. First reaction is to shoot the dog before it attacks you.
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#50 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

1. The owners planned on showing him. Shows dogs are not neutered or fixed.2. Now that it will no longer show, they will probably neuter it. However, because the dog just went through serious surgery, putting the dog under again to neuter it would be a risk to its life right now.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#51 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

The dog was double parked.

Don't you mean, double barked?

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#52 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

sigh. well at least the dog's alive.
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#53 CanuckinEdm

CanuckinEdm

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

I read the article and it says it was a gated house and that the sog followed him outside the house... wouldnt that mean he was in the yard still ...

Edited by CanuckinEdm, 05 December 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#54 Blame Obama

Blame Obama

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

what a dumb cop

10f3wcl.jpg

sig made by: -Vintage Canuck-

#55 Tokasmoka

Tokasmoka

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

The story from Colorado is way worse. I seriously hope someone kills that cop, he has no place in society. Hope he dies a very painful death.

#56 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,978 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

why should it be life threatening?

shouldn't bodily harm be sufficient?

If he was afraid of a dog that weighs approx. 20-35lbs (average weight for Miniature Bull Terriers, not to mention he was also still a puppy) because he's afraid of the bodily harm it might cause him, then maybe being a police officer is a little to frightening of a job for him.

Edited by Jägermeister, 05 December 2012 - 12:30 PM.

Posted Image

#57 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,690 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

why should it be life threatening?

shouldn't bodily harm be sufficient?

First of all, you're making the assumption that there was a threat of bodily harm. According to the eyewitness, there was none.

Second: No. A police officer's first instinct for protection from "bodily harm" shouldn't be to reach for his gun. Just as in the case of the cop in Colorado, it shows a level of overreaction to potential danger that could cause a tragedy at some point in the future.

Believe it or not, there are cops out there right now, on every force, who have no business being cops.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#58 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,690 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

I read the article and it says it was a gated house and that the sog followed him outside the house... wouldnt that mean he was in the yard still ...

The article is a little confusing, but the way I read it, the yard was enclosed, but the dog followed the owner outside the yard because he was in a hurry to move the van (to avoid getting a ticket, I would assume) and didn't realize that the dog had followed him.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#59 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

So the officer shot for no good reason or he felt threatened? Which seems more likely here? Sometimes we just need to read between the lines. We get most of the story from the owner who disagrees with a witness regarding multiple warnings. This is a one sided story and yet there are discrepancies.There are three stories, the dogs owner's, a witness's who seems to have heard but not seen the encounter and the silent officer's who's side will come out later. The story is mostly fluff when then they go on and on about the dogs lineage and that it looks like Spuds Mckenzie etc.

Sorry, I like to hear all sides of the story before I make up my mind that the officer acted completely inappropriately.

#60 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

The owners have now filed a lawsuit for the actions of Officer Brandon (Quick Draw) Pettigrew and alleged subsequent threats and intimidation. A complaint has also been filed with the Chicago Police Department and an investigation is under way:

"Absolutely irresponsible" is how Al Phillips describes Brandon Pettigrew, the Chicago police officer who shot his prize puppy while writing a ticket Saturday. Now, Phillips and his wife Barbara are suing the city.

In the lawsuit filed Tuesday in Cook County Circuit Court, the owners of the wounded seven-month-old miniature bull terrier named Colonel, allege injury to their dog and emotional distress, reports Fox Chicago. In addition, the couple claims retaliation and intimidation from police after they spoke to the media about the incident.

"The main goal of the Phillips family is to make sure that this doesn't happen again," Michael Lamonica, the family's attorney, explained to the station. "It's obviously unacceptable for police officers to be shooting animals, especially animals that aren't doing anything to deserve it."

Complicating matters, a sergeant and lieutenant came to the Phillips' home two days after the incident and cited the family for having a dog off the leash at the time of the incident, according to DNA. The Phillips lawsuit says the officers questioned why the family went to the media.

The Phillips also filed a complaint with the Police Department, according to CBS Chicago, and want to see sanctions against Pettigrew, as well.

“That this person is allowed to carry a gun, I believe is absolutely irresponsible,” Al Phillips told CBS.

Neighbors are concerned about who else could have been hit during the incident, reports WGN, while the Chicago Police Department has kept mum, saying only that the Independent Police Review Authority is investigating the matter.
http://www.huffingto..._n_2245215.html

Edited by Wetcoaster, 05 December 2012 - 01:45 PM.

To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.