#61 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

^^^^

Americans sure do like to lawyer up don't they?
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#62 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

Meanwhile in Colorado

http://www.examiner....munity-outraged

The cop sure went over the top on that one eh?

#63 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

So the officer shot for no good reason or he felt threatened? Which seems more likely here? Sometimes we just need to read between the lines. We get most of the story from the owner who disagrees with a witness regarding multiple warnings. This is a one sided story and yet there are discrepancies.There are three stories, the dogs owner's, a witness's who seems to have heard but not seen the encounter and the silent officer's who's side will come out later. The story is mostly fluff when then they go on and on about the dogs lineage and that it looks like Spuds Mckenzie etc.

Sorry, I like to hear all sides of the story before I make up my mind that the officer acted completely inappropriately.

If he really felt threatened enough by a Miniature Bull Terrier that he had to resort to shooting it, he clearly doesn't make for a very good cop.
He should look for a job were there is no chance that a "menacing" small animal will crowd his personal bubble.
No matter the circumstance, whether it was going after him or not, its a huge overreaction to shoot the thing.
Heck, he could have just picked it up under it's front legs and held it at an arms length. There, problem solved, he's not threatened anymore, and the dog didn't get shot.
Posted Image

#64 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

http://www.youtube....h?v=6NZRHCO6mx8

Edited by key2thecup, 05 December 2012 - 04:00 PM.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#65 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

http://www.youtube....h?v=6NZRHCO6mx8

seems the owner neither heard any warnings nor actually saw anything as he was on the other side of the van.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

#66 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

So the officer shot for no good reason or he felt threatened? Which seems more likely here? Sometimes we just need to read between the lines. We get most of the story from the owner who disagrees with a witness regarding multiple warnings. This is a one sided story and yet there are discrepancies.There are three stories, the dogs owner's, a witness's who seems to have heard but not seen the encounter and the silent officer's who's side will come out later. The story is mostly fluff when then they go on and on about the dogs lineage and that it looks like Spuds Mckenzie etc.

Sorry, I like to hear all sides of the story before I make up my mind that the officer acted completely inappropriately.

It's a 29-pound miniature bull terrier puppy ... Those dogs are like a foot tall at full maturity ... Definition of an ankle biter. Was the puppy carrying a step ladder so it could climb up to his throat or brandishing a firearm?

As a police officer, you should probably just quit the force if you feel threatened by chihuahuas, yorkies, miniature breeds, house cats, etc.

I mean, how are you actually defending this dirtbag? I don't understand it.

#67 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

I don't blame him. I punt my neighbors dog across the street for giving me the evil eye.
Posted Image

#68 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,668 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

I don't blame him. I punt my neighbors dog across the street for giving me the evil eye.

*slow clap*

#69 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,342 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

It's a 29-pound miniature bull terrier puppy ... Those dogs are like a foot tall at full maturity ... Definition of an ankle biter. Was the puppy carrying a step ladder so it could climb up to his throat or brandishing a firearm?

As a police officer, you should probably just quit the force if you feel threatened by chihuahuas, yorkies, miniature breeds, house cats, etc.

I mean, how are you actually defending this dirtbag? I don't understand it.

Some people try too hard to play devil's advocate when there's no call for it.

I don't trust anyone who seriously thinks that shooting a dog is ever justified, other than in extreme circumstances.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#70 Pasific Coluseum

Pasific Coluseum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:30 AM

I really hate these sensational headlines. If the cop shot the puppy then so be it. He had good reason and I guarantee he didn't just go around doing it just because.

This is a small insignificant matter. A dog is shot... Well how about the atrocities going on in Africa or the murderous atrocities happening in the middle east. Innocent kids getting their brains blown out and innocent civilians losing their lives to Israeli government

Get over it. Its an animal. We kill cows, pigs, chickens and they are the same as dogs. Hell, dogs are even a delicacy in Asia. Tired of people getting all bent out of shape over nothing!

#71 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:00 AM

I really hate these sensational headlines. If the cop shot the puppy then so be it. He had good reason and I guarantee he didn't just go around doing it just because.

This is a small insignificant matter. A dog is shot... Well how about the atrocities going on in Africa or the murderous atrocities happening in the middle east. Innocent kids getting their brains blown out and innocent civilians losing their lives to Israeli government

Get over it. Its an animal. We kill cows, pigs, chickens and they are the same as dogs. Hell, dogs are even a delicacy in Asia. Tired of people getting all bent out of shape over nothing!

There's atrocities going on in the rest of the world? How come I've never heard of this?
Kinda hot in these rhinos.

You are a worse psychiatrist than you are a son in law, and you will never get work as an actor because you have no talent.

#72 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,124 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

We need a term for this kind of post, because it's always just a matter of time before one (or more) pops up in these kinds of discussions. Something like Godwin's Law..

"Why are we even discussing this! Don't you all know that people are starving in Africa! Don't you know they're dropping bombs in Beirut!"

"Bono's Law"?
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#73 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

We need a term for this kind of post, because it's always just a matter of time before one (or more) pops up in these kinds of discussions. Something like Godwin's Law..

"Why are we even discussing this! Don't you all know that people are starving in Africa! Don't you know they're dropping bombs in Beirut!"

"Bono's Law"?

Surprised to see he hasn't post the exact same thing in the lockout thread or in the proposal section."Guys seriously, who cares about Luongo getting traded? What we should really be doing is making a proposal to the US on an exit strategy!"
Kinda hot in these rhinos.

You are a worse psychiatrist than you are a son in law, and you will never get work as an actor because you have no talent.

#74 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

"Bono's Law"?

There is a term for it Rup................it's called TROLLING.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#75 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

According to the report the dog was hit with a ricochet as the original shot missed and it just as easily could have struck a person as according to reports there were adults and children in the line of fire.

Discharging a firearm for a police officer is supposed to be a serious and well-considered decision.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#76 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

according to reports there were adults and children in the line of fire.

Discharging a firearm for a police officer is supposed to be a serious and well-considered decision.

neither the eye witness nor the owner actually saw anything according to reports. If one shot was a ricocheted then maybe it was meant to be warning.

Edited by hudson bay rules, 06 December 2012 - 05:58 PM.

#77 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

neither the eye witness nor the owner actually saw anything according to reports. If one shot was a ricocheted then maybe it was meant to be warning.

Actually there were concerns about with the issue of people being in the line of fire and it was raised by an attorney.

"A ricochet bullet, thank God it didn't go into a child that was walking around, but we don't believe there was any cause here for the officer to un-holster his gun to begin with, let alone fire two rounds," said attorney Erron Fisher

As reported:

Witness Charlene Dezengo told Fox 32 that the officer warned Phillips about the dog being loose but said that he didn't sound like he was in any danger.

Meanwhile neighbor Todd McClay told DNAinfo in Chicago that the dog came out 'wagging his tail' and that the officer 'did not give [Phillips] ample time to get the dog.'

He said that the officer screamed once, 'waited a couple seconds,' screamed again, 'waited a couple seconds,' and then 'he was firing.'

Dezengo said she saw a similar thing. 'All of sudden I heard him say, ‘get your dog,' and then the next statement was ‘get your dog,' and then he just pulled out his gun and shot twice,' Dezengo said.

After the shooting, witnesses say the officer calmly put his gun back into his holster and finished writing the ticket.

Residents of the neighborhood were also outraged over the fact that the shooting took place near a preschool and that other individuals, including children, could have been injured by what they see as an unnecessary use of force.

Firearms training for peace officers covers off unsafe discharge and line of fire because a ricochet can be incredibly dangerous.

As a result the Chicago Independent Police Review Authority is looking into the shooting, as well they should.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#78 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

Well... Look who's back! It's Mr. Trolllllolololool.

Go away again.

:sadno:

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#79 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,124 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

Seriously? A warning? :huh:

Are you actually defending this officer's reaction because he was only firing a "warning shot"? In a situation where (as 'Coaster quite correctly points out) children and other innocent bystanders could easily have been hit?

Your defending of what was obviously an irresponsible action by this cop is quickly getting beyond ridiculous and moving on to the realm of the absurd.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#80 dubldigit

dubldigit

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

To say that dog at 7 months could do real harm is bullish. Maybe to an infant but a grown man? Gimme a break that thing is tiny compared to that of a grown a$$ man. All it would take to stop that pup is a swift boot in the rump. That thing is tiny compared to the smallest of man. Cop should win douche of the year award.... Just another case of abuse of power..... Eye for an eye I always say

#81 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

King of think both parties are in the wrong here, but still the officer is dumb for shooting the dog, & he goes on to write a ticket afterwards, come on. Where are the other authorities who come out to investigate why the gun was shot in the first place. The investigation got off to a wrong start right there.

#82 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:14 AM

Go take up a cause and do something about all these things that bother you so much then. Or are you one of these that clicks "like" on facebook on pages to do with these atrocities you speak of then talk down to other people cause you thinking liking it on facebook means you're making a difference.

Edited by debluvscanucks, 07 December 2012 - 08:10 AM.
Removed personal attack/language

#83 thad

thad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

Yup and if it was a puppy it should have been even easier to control. From what I see here the owner is at fault for not securing the animal. None of us were there to see ourselves what happened. All we get are 'dolled' up photos. I don't pass judgement on the officer unless I was there or hear eye witness testimony.

A 7 month old puppy?? I'm sorry but that's enough to pass judgement IMO. They aren't dolled up photos, they're photos of a 7 month old PUPPY that was shot by a officer of the law. That dog is small and even if it was a little wired could easily be handled differently.

The next time that officer drives 5km over the speed limit would it be ok to shoot him?

#84 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,509 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

There's usually two sides to every story. However, this part gives me strong reason to doubt the police officer:

While FOX 32's Larry Yellen was interviewing the dog's owners, two police officers drove by the home. 90 minutes later, they came back, asked why Phillips why he had contacted the media and gave him a ticket for not keeping Colonel on a leash.

"They were giving us a ticket, three days after the fact," says Phillips. "So I think they're probably trying to cover their rear ends."

They have been watching the place. Now there is media. And then...they just write him a ticket? Wasn't shooting the dog enough?

And you'd think that by three days later, if there was substantial reason, the officers would be ready with a prepared statement and/or corraborative evidence for the media.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.