32 replies to this topic

#1 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

Iran has downed another American Drone. This time over the Persian Gulf. Last month US claimed Iran attempted to shoot down their Drone in Intl waters in the Persian Gulf. Iran insisted they fired warning shots at the Drone which was in Iranian air space over Iranian waters in the Persian Gulf.

http://www.youtube.c...&v=9yJywNdJXq0#!

http://www.bbc.co.uk...e-east-20591336

Iranian state television has shown images of what it says is an unmanned US drone captured in its airspace.
The Revolutionary Guards said they had brought down a ScanEagle - one of the smaller, less sophisticated drones employed by the Americans.
Rear Admiral Ali Fadavi told the Fars news agency that the drone had conducted several reconnaissance flights over the Gulf in recent days.
But the US Navy said none of its drones was missing in the Middle East.
Other nations in the region, including the United Arab Emirates, also operate ScanEagles - low-cost, long-endurance aircraft with a 10ft (3m) wingspan, Associated Press says.
Rear Adm Fadavi said that "such drones are usually launched from large warships".

Analysis

The best-known drones might be those like the American Predator and Reaper, which carry weapons and are used by the CIA as well as the US military and British RAF to launch strikes. But the Predator began as a surveillance - not an armed - vehicle and it is in this field that drones are still primarily used.
It has the ability to loiter over a target for much longer than manned aircraft and to beam back imagery and other forms of information to analysts thousands of miles away.
The US may have pioneered the use of unmanned drones but the number of countries using them for surveillance has expanded rapidly in recent years. Because they are intelligence-gathering tools, often operating over hostile territory, they will not carry identifying markings.
Iran and its nuclear programme (as well as its military facilities) will certainly be a top target for US surveillance, but for other neighbouring nations as well. This may make it harder to be absolutely sure who the drone really belongs to.
Fars said the drone was captured "in the last few days" without giving further details.
A spokesman for US Naval Forces Central Command in Bahrain said: "The US Navy has fully accounted for all unmanned air vehicles operating in the Middle East region.
"Our operations in the Gulf are confined to internationally recognised water and air space.
"We have no record that we have lost any ScanEagles recently."
Last month, the US said Iranian warplanes had shot at a US surveillance drone flying in international airspace. Iran said the aircraft had entered its airspace.
November also saw Iran's ambassador to the United Nations, Mohammad Khazaee, write to Secretary General Ban Ki-moon to complain about what he said were repeated US violations of Iranian airspace near the Bushehr power station, describing them as "illegal and provocative acts".
A year ago, Iranian TV broadcast pictures of an American RQ-170 Sentinel surveillance drone that Iran said had been brought down using electronic warfare. The US said it had malfunctioned.
Iran rejected a US call for the return of the drone. It subsequently claimed to have developed its own unmanned drone.
Washington and Tehran are engaged in a dispute over Tehran's nuclear programme.
The Revolutionary Guards are an elite unit of the Iranian military which operate their own naval forces.

Edited by WHL rocks, 04 December 2012 - 06:07 PM.

#2 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,499 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

ScanEagles are a dime a dozen in the Gulf .. word also has it the drone was sold to Iranian interests on the black market via a Bahrain contact .. apparently several "allied states" in that area have a supply of these relatively "low tech" drones .. they are compared as a musket to a Uzi .. with the newer American drones being the "Uzi" .. should be interesting to watch both sides "spin" this episode ..

Edited by Tearloch7, 04 December 2012 - 06:12 PM.

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#3 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

I think this is just Propaganda......I doubt Iran really have an US drone

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#4 Tanev

Tanev

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

OMG they captured a drone! Now they have a weapon of mass destruction, someone should do something about this!!

#5 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

ScanEagles are a dime a dozen in the Gulf .. word also has it the drone was sold to Iranian interests on the black market via a Bahrain contact .. apparently several "allied states" in that area have a supply of these relatively "low tech" drones .. they are compared as a musket to a Uzi .. with the newer American drones being the "Uzi" .. should be interesting to watch both sides "spin" this episode ..

I doubt Bahrain would give Tehran an American Drone. They don't get along. US has a navy base in Bahrain.

If they can capture the best of American Drones like they did Sentinel, then this "dime a dozen" should be easy to capture.

The US refused to accept it last time until Iran showed the Sentinel, or as you might say "uzi" on TV.

#6 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

Here's a CNN spin on it. LOL.

#7 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,254 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

ScanEagles are a dime a dozen in the Gulf .. word also has it the drone was sold to Iranian interests on the black market via a Bahrain contact .. apparently several "allied states" in that area have a supply of these relatively "low tech" drones .. they are compared as a musket to a Uzi .. with the newer American drones being the "Uzi" .. should be interesting to watch both sides "spin" this episode .

I could still kill you with a musket.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#8 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

Here's a CNN spin on it. LOL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqvpR1TA7fQ

Hahahaha so true
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#9 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

Hahahaha so true
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#10 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,821 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

Boy it's a good thing it's not a manned craft. It's only like the SR-71 that had manned pilots was NEVER shot down due to enemy action. (Yes there were 12 accidents but only 1 person lost their life in those twelve accidents.)

Sorry I think UAV's is a part of the military's toys and just a money grab in the defense industry.

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 04 December 2012 - 08:32 PM.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#11 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,499 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

And I could kill you with the paper they signed the contract on, or the pen they signed it with, but what is your point?? .. you would rather have a musket than an Uzi? ..

Technologically, fire power matters .. the fact the enemy has a musket of mine, and "it" is a major factor in their comprehension of my armaments, I may even "sell" them one myself .

Shalom ..

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#12 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

OMG they captured a drone! Now they have a weapon of mass destruction, someone should do something about this!!

Do I detect a trace of cynicism? It would be a master stroke for the illuminate though. When they turn them loose on US citizens they can blame Iran.

Edited by nucklehead, 05 December 2012 - 07:07 AM.

biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

#13 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,042 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

I doubt Bahrain would give Tehran an American Drone. They don't get along. US has a navy base in Bahrain.

If they can capture the best of American Drones like they did Sentinel, then this "dime a dozen" should be easy to capture.

The US refused to accept it last time until Iran showed the Sentinel, or as you might say "uzi" on TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MrVihH3r3g

In 1985, while Iran and Iraq were at war, Iran made a secret request to buy weapons from the United States. McFarlane sought Reagan's approval, in spite of the embargo against selling arms to Iran. McFarlane explained that the sale of arms would not only improve U.S. relations with Iran, but might in turn lead to improved relations with Lebanon, increasing U.S. influence in the troubled Middle East. Reagan was driven by a different obsession. He had become frustrated at his inability to secure the release of the seven American hostages being held by Iranian terrorists in Lebanon. As president, Reagan felt that "he had the duty to bring those Americans home," and he convinced himself that he was not negotiating with terrorists. While shipping arms to Iran violated the embargo, dealing with terrorists violated Reagan's campaign promise never to do so. Reagan had always been admired for his honesty.
PBS.org

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#14 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,499 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:23 AM

Hahahaha so true

I could .. oh never mind .. dinna choke on yer scarf .. B)

#15 Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:14 AM

I like how the American media is still sticking with RQ crashing in Iran, despite the fact that their story changed about it 100 times, and that the Iranian government showed video of the damned thing landing.
Posted Image

#16 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,499 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

I like how the American media is still sticking with RQ crashing in Iran, despite the fact that their story changed about it 100 times, and that the Iranian government showed video of the damned thing landing.

Has that landing been verified by NASA? .. think maybe it could be faked? .. does anyone really care? .. all valid questions .. I think this is classic subterfuge ..

#17 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

And I could kill you with the paper they signed the contract on, or the pen they signed it with, but what is your point?? .. you would rather have a musket than an Uzi? ..

Technologically, fire power matters .. the fact the enemy has a musket of mine, and "it" is a major factor in their comprehension of my armaments, I may even "sell" them one myself .

Shalom ..

Doesn't the enemy already have an Uzi of yours? Didn't I post the enemy showing off the Uzi they stole from you about a year ago? You are on par with CNN. You might as well say they made a model by looking at the pictures from the internet...lol

#18 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

In 1985, while Iran and Iraq were at war, Iran made a secret request to buy weapons from the United States. McFarlane sought Reagan's approval, in spite of the embargo against selling arms to Iran. McFarlane explained that the sale of arms would not only improve U.S. relations with Iran, but might in turn lead to improved relations with Lebanon, increasing U.S. influence in the troubled Middle East. Reagan was driven by a different obsession. He had become frustrated at his inability to secure the release of the seven American hostages being held by Iranian terrorists in Lebanon. As president, Reagan felt that "he had the duty to bring those Americans home," and he convinced himself that he was not negotiating with terrorists. While shipping arms to Iran violated the embargo, dealing with terrorists violated Reagan's campaign promise never to do so. Reagan had always been admired for his honesty.
PBS.org

I got it now, Bahrain is a superpower aka USA and the king is Reagan.

#19 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,042 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

I got it now, Bahrain is a superpower aka USA and the king is Reagan.

No , you do not seem to get it , i was making the point that sometimes enemies will deal with each other when it suits them .

And the example i used was that reagan sold arms to one of America's bitterest enemies at the time , Iran , when it suited his agenda .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#20 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,499 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

Doesn't the enemy already have an Uzi of yours? Didn't I post the enemy showing off the Uzi they stole from you about a year ago? You are on par with CNN. You might as well say they made a model by looking at the pictures from the internet...lol

If you ever decide to play poker for real money, please invite me to your table .. :rolleyes:

#21 TheAce

TheAce

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

Maybe George Lucas/Disney can make a movie about this..... call it " The Drone Wars" ::D

#22 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

No , you do not seem to get it , i was making the point that sometimes enemies will deal with each other when it suits them .

And the example i used was that reagan sold arms to one of America's bitterest enemies at the time , Iran , when it suited his agenda .

Yes I did understand what you said, but Bahrain is no superpower. USA and Saudi Arabistan are the guarantors of the King's rule in Bahrain. USA has a massive navy base in Bahrain. There is no way in hell Bahrain would take a US Drone and hand it over to Iran.

Saudi troops with western backing just went in and saved the King during Arab spring. Anyone who thinks Bahrain gave Iran a US Drone is either completely uneducated on geopolitics or lying to themselves.

#23 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

If you ever decide to play poker for real money, please invite me to your table .. :rolleyes:

LOL, I used to keep a pigeon coup. There is a saying that when/if a cat comes to a pigeon coup to eat a bird pigeon closes it's eyes? The pigeon thinks if it closes eyes the cat isn't there anymore.

#24 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,042 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

Yes I did understand what you said, but Bahrain is no superpower. USA and Saudi Arabistan are the guarantors of the King's rule in Bahrain. USA has a massive navy base in Bahrain. There is no way in hell Bahrain would take a US Drone and hand it over to Iran.

Saudi troops with western backing just went in and saved the King during Arab spring. Anyone who thinks Bahrain gave Iran a US Drone is either completely uneducated on geopolitics or lying to themselves.

There is NO WAY reagan was going to sell weapons to the ayatollah :lol:

And i did not claim bahrain sold iran anything , i just pointed out that sometimes bitter enemies will do things one would not expect .

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#25 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

There is NO WAY reagan was going to sell weapons to the ayatollah :lol:

And i did not claim bahrain sold iran anything , i just pointed out that sometimes bitter enemies will do things one would not expect .

Israel also sold weapons to Iran during Iran Iraq war. Does not mean anything in this instance.

#26 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,499 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

LOL, I used to keep a pigeon coup. There is a saying that when/if a cat comes to a pigeon coup to eat a bird pigeon closes it's eyes? The pigeon thinks if it closes eyes the cat isn't there anymore.

Ha ha .. touche .. I canna help it .. I feel inundated by minor conspiracies where ever I go .. BBC speculated that a Bahrain Government official sold one to the Iranian Revolutionary guard illegally .. who really cares in the end? .. maybe Israel can launch an attack, with international support now, as they can point and say "A ha!!! .. look .. they have drones!!!!!!" .. :lol:

#27 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

Who handed this one over to Iran?

#28 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

Ha ha .. touche .. I canna help it .. I feel inundated by minor conspiracies where ever I go .. BBC speculated that a Bahrain Government official sold one to the Iranian Revolutionary guard illegally .. who really cares in the end? .. maybe Israel can launch an attack, with international support now, as they can point and say "A ha!!! .. look .. they have drones!!!!!!" .. :lol:

There won't be an attack on Iran.

Iran has a Drone program of there own since the 1980's. Recently Hezbollah sent in an Iranian "musket" into Israel which was shot down over Israel's territory. These things happen. USA is not worried about this drone as much as the one they lost last year to Iran.

#29 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,042 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Israel also sold weapons to Iran during Iran Iraq war. Does not mean anything in this instance.

That was a case of , my enemies enemy is my friend , and by bringing this up you have reinforced my point , that sometimes enemies will interact in ways one would not expect enemies interact.

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#30 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

That was a case of , my enemies enemy is my friend , and by bringing this up you have reinforced my point , that sometimes enemies will interact in ways one would not expect enemies interact.

There is no doubt enemies will do these things you say they do. I agree.

That's not the issue. The issue is did Bahrain or another US ally give this drone to Iran. Or like CNN says is this drone a fake model which Iran made by looking at pictures from the internet. Or did Iran really capture another US drone.

Last time this happened it was the best of the best US has "uzi". They ended up admitting after initial denials. Like I said earlier Pres. Obama even asked for the drone back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.