The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada votes against UN motion calling on Israel to open up nuclear program to inspection

key2thecup

I beg to differ .. I am of Viking stock, who visited and settled parts of North America in the 11th Century .. back when the "aboriginals" were hunter-gathering for the most part .. and I am not anti-Israeli .. I am anti-oppression .. that's all ..

Only one country has ever "exercised" the nuclear option .. if there were to be a second "exercising" of such option, dollars-to donuts it will be the Israelis .. I hope they are downwind of the damn thing if they use it ..

The point is that it's only news worthy on CDC if it has to do with Israel. And Israel has been attacked more than North Korea and Iran COMBINED. In fact is there even a country in the world who has been attacked more and by as many countries than Israel has? But yeah if 5 nations attack one there must be a reason for it. Even if its nations like Syria, Lebanon, Egypt, Iraq, Algeria and Libya ect. If such a 'responsible' group of nations attack Israel it must be justified.... Just kind of like a UN vote...Lol

Why is it allowed in the first place? Who allowed it? Ahhh the great UN. How about start blaming the body that allowed the so called ilegal state in the first place. But judging from this thread many people support the UN now. So the decision to create Israel must have been a good one. Lol.

Probably not actually: despite being the most precariously situated country in the world, and the most attacked country in the world (given it's relatively brief existence) Israel has always looked to make peace with its neighbours, including several times returning land (won primarily in defensive wars) in exchange for peace. Very few countries in history have ever returned land won in defensive wars, so your characterization of Israel as a war-hungry nation appears to be bogus.

Then again this is the same CIA that reported that Iraq had the WMDs. The USA and Israel might have very good reasons to have the Arab nations believe that Israel had a lot of nuclear weapons, even if it wasn't true, for entirely the opposite reasons as Iraq. Though of course I agree: they almost certainly do have them.

And isn't it interesting: The Arabs last full-scale assault on Israel was in 1973...the CIA reported Israel has nuclear capability in 1974. As I said before...maybe not a coincidence.

Conventionally you're right: the Israelis should be able to repel any Arab attack at the moment. They way some people talk its almost as if the Israelis should apologize for defending their own existence and for the incompetence of their many enemies. On the contrary: the founding and prospering of Israel is one of the most amazing rags-to-riches stories in history.

Of couse the nuclear capability of a country like Iran would change a lot: one strike in Tel Aviv would basically destroy the country. Hopefully if Iran acquired nuclear capability they would not use it...but how could or should the Israelis respond to an ultimatum like "all Jews must leave the country of Israel or a nuclear bomb will be detonated in Tel Aviv". That's a tough one indeed!

Only one country has ever "exercised" the nuclear option .. if there were to be a second "exercising" of such option, dollars-to donuts it will be the Israelis .. I hope they are downwind of the damn thing if they use it ..

So Iran shouldn't have Nuclear capabilities because of assumptions or predictions that they will use nuclear weapons on Israel yet Israel shouldn't have nuclear inspection because we can assume they would never use it. I love double standards. They should either inspect all countries that have nuclear capabilities, nuclear weapons etc. regularly or don't inspect any country that might or might not have nuclear weapons/nuclear capable. Everyone just assumes that Iran will bomb Israel to kingdom come if they acquired the ability to make nuclear weapons. North Korea has nuclear weapons and they haven't done crap with it.

I would approve of of inspections on every country possessing or suspected of possessing nuclear weapons. However I see the Israeli perspective. This is not some "game" with the impartial referee being the U.N. This article describes the U.N. in regards to Israel.

As can be seen, the United Nations is very much a player for the Arab side. As long as the US can veto resolutions, why not do it? Russia or China does the same for regimes much, much more oppressive than Israel.

As for the nuclear issue: I think most people would agree that Iran or one of the Arab countries would be much more likely to deploy a nuclear weapon against Israel if they possessed one than North Korea would against South Korea. Hate of Israel is very intense for a lot people in the middle east.

Actually if Iran did acquire nukes, I would envision one being smuggled to Palestinian freedom fighters or or to some other independent muslim group. It could then be smuggled into Israel, perhaps by ship into one of Israel's ports for detonation. This would allow Iran to avoid direct blame and therefore avoid retaliation while dealing a fatal blow to jewry in Israel.

Archived