The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Snake On A Plane

WHL rocks

Arab man sneaks Cobra onto plane in his carry on luggage. The snake bites him and escapes forcing Egypt Air flight to make emergency landing.

A fine example of intelligence. I'm sure his tribe is very proud of him.

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_c3

Snake on a plane forces emergency landing

By Jim Barnett

updated 8:20 PM EST, Tue December 4, 2012

121205011050-egyptian-cobra-story-top.jpg

An Egyptian cobra like this one escaped from a carry-on bag on an Egypt Air flight from Cairo to Kuwait.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

• A reptile shop owner smuggled an Egyptian cobra in his carry-on on Egypt Air flight

• Snake's escape forced emergency landing in Egyptian resort, where it was removed

• The snake bit its owner, but the man refused medical attention, saying bite was superficial

(CNN) -- Ninety passengers aboard an Egypt Air flight from Cairo to Kuwait could have used actor Samuel L. Jackson this week after a snake reportedly bit a Jordanian man who smuggled the reptile onboard.

Jackson's character in the movie "Snakes on a Plane" tries to figure out how to save the aircraft after crates of hyped-up serpents started killing the cast.

There wasn't quite that kind of drama on Monday, but the incident forced the pilot to make an emergency landing in the Egyptian resort town of Al Ghardaqa on the Red Sea, according to The Jordan Times.

An Egypt Air official told the paper an investigation revealed that the 48-year-old passenger, who owns a reptile shop in Kuwait, had hidden the Egyptian cobra in a carry-on bag. The passenger was trying to control the snake after it bit his hand and started slithering under the seats.

The Egyptian daily al-Masry al-Youm reported that the man refused medical treatment, claiming his wound was only superficial. The plane resumed its flight to Kuwait after local authorities confiscated the snake.

Egyptian cobras are commonly found across North Africa.

According to wildlife experts, the cobra's venom is so deadly it can kill a full-grown elephant in three hours or a person in about 15 minutes. The venom destroys nerve tissue and causes paralysis and death because of respiratory failure.

Legend has it that in ancient times Cleopatra, the Egyptian queen, used the Egyptian cobra to commit suicide.

Remember that dumb movie and how every second idiot was trying to manufacture some b-movie "cult classic" status for it? I don't know which group was worse, those who made the dumb ironic jokes about the movie, or those who actually paid to see it without irony, thinking A) the movie would be good, or B.) they were part of some cult classic in the making.

thanks for reminding me, now my day is ruined

Remember that dumb movie and how everyone second idiot was trying to manufacture some b-movie "cult classic" status for it? I don't know which group was worse, those who made the dumb ironic jokes about the movie, or those who actually paid to see it without irony, thinking A) the movie would be good, or B) they were part of some cult classic in the making.

Remember that dumb movie and how every second idiot was trying to manufacture some b-movie "cult classic" status for it? I don't know which group was worse, those who made the dumb ironic jokes about the movie, or those who actually paid to see it without irony, thinking A) the movie would be good, or B.) they were part of some cult classic in the making.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I'm surprised not one CDCer has busted out that famous line yet, so I'll do it...cleanly

As for the shop owner, I wonder if he's heard of necrosis.

Archived