Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

Posted Image

Petitioning National Hockey League

How fans can end the NHL lockout

Posted Image

Petition by
George Steiner

Multiply your impact

Turn your signature into dozens more by sharing this petition and recruiting people you know to sign.

YOU

YOUR
FRIENDS
avg.

THEIR
FRIENDS
approx.Posted Image

Take the oath by signing the petition: If we miss the entire 2012-13 NHL season, I will not attend a game during the 2013-14 NHL regular season.
Fans are all complaining about how much they miss hockey. Two missed seasons in less than 10 years is unacceptable. Well let’s stop complaining and do something. I’m not talking about another stupid petition that says “Bring Hockey Back” or “Fire Bettman” – those will do nothing. We, the fans, can end this lockout with this petition. If you don't believe me, get a million signatures on here and see what happens. I guarantee our voices will be heard. Here's why...
WHY THIS OATH WILL WORK:
1) It is realistic; we can actually do this. We all love hockey and no one is asking you to never watch or attend an NHL game again. You can still watch your team on TV next season, and, if they make the playoffs, you can go to games. Just don't buy a ticket during the regular season, that's all.
2) This plan will hit the NHL where it hurts the most. Among the four major team sports in North America, hockey is by far the most dependent on ticket revenue. During the 2010-11 season, the typical NHL team relied on ticket sales for 50% of their revenue. In contrast, the average team in the NFL got less than 25% of its revenue from ticket sales, the NBA 33% and the MLB 25%. Thus, the promise to stay away from games is something that the NHL cannot afford to ignore. It doesn’t matter if you turn off your television sets because the league’s new 10-year, $2 billion deal with NBC is only a very small part of league revenue. So keep the $57 (the average ticket price to see a hockey game) and watch the game at home.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF WE DON'T DO THIS:
After the 2004-05 NHL lockout, the fans simply forgave the NHL and came back stronger than ever. During the 2005-06 season, 25 of the 30 teams had an increase in attendance from the 2003-04 season. Fans continued to buy tickets, and ticket prices, team values, and player salaries rose. So, the NHL thinks that a lost season is just fine.
So hardcore hockey fans have an opportunity to stop complaining and to band together to bring hockey back. We don’t have to wait for NHL commissioner Gary Bettman or NHLPA boss Donald Fehr. We have the power to end this lockout.
Statistics from Forbes: <a href="http://www.forbes.co...r-nhl-lockout/" rel="nofollow">http://www.forbes.co...or-nhl-lockout/

To:
National Hockey League

Play hockey this year or I won't attend a NHL game during the 2013-14 regular season.
Sincerely,
[Your name]

http://www.change.or...he-nhl-lockout#

Can Everyone please Sign the Petition i already signed it
Posted Image

#2 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

Fan
Petitions
Will
Not
End
The
Lock
Out
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#3 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,854 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

This just seems appropriate:

Posted Image

#4 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

Slacktivism at its finest.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

nothing fans do will end the godamn lockout and if you think you're making a difference then you're an idiot

/thread

#6 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:48 AM

So all season tickets holders will give up their tickets for a season and go to the bottom of the 8 year waiting list? I'm sure that will happen. Then of course somebody that's been on the waiting list for years will also say no and go back to the bottom of the list again. I'm sure that will happen as well.
Posted Image

#7 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:50 AM

I don't get why you are all so negative about fan power.

It worked in Scotland and sent arguably the biggest Football/Soccer Club in Scotland down to the bottom league. All revolutions have to start somewhere. However if you are happy to have regular lockouts, that's fine.

Every one of these Owners or the NHL sponsors or TV/Cable Organisations CAN BE HURT. However, with your head in the sand, victim persona you are sending out a message that you are willing to put up with it every 5 or so years.

Someone above ridicules the internet. How wrong can they be, the internet is tailor made for the small guy fighting back. All it needs is for supporters web sites to be set up and for organised boycotting of goods and services which back these owners and their organisations.............Believe me, as it did in Scotland these things spread like wildfire.

You can even enlist the support of the fans of other sports to widen the boycotts on a quid pro quo basis.

Start now. Post up a list of owners, what they make, sell, or services they provide.
A list of sponsors and their products.
A list of broadcasters.

Then avoid using/buying any of it and encourage everyone else you know to do the same. Post the lists on college, schools and works websites and notice boards. Put it on your Facebook page.

Then at least they will KNOW you are fighting back.

Edited by Bodee, 08 December 2012 - 04:52 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#8 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

I highly doubt starting a new website and trying to attract eyeballs for this cause is going to work.

Facebook has 800 million users. That would be the place to start this petition. However, several already exist there. The most popular one has 2100 members. Translation = nobody cares.

2100 barely registers. It's the equivalent of a fart in a hurricane.

#9 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

I agree that season ticket holders aren't going to give them up, and it really is unfair for those of us who don't have them to ask them to given the wait list to get them back. However, I also agree that fans can (and should!) make a difference. That's why rather than targeting ticket sales I strongly encourage people to not buy any merchandise. It would be more fair and effective because it applies equally to all fans. It asks everyone to give proportionally to what they give the NHL, instead of asking the few to make all of the sacrifices.

Even if you could get 20% of season ticket owners to cancel their tickets, there are more people willing to buy them. The NHL wouldn't see a loss. But if 20% of us stop buying (or accepting as gifts) any and all merchandise they absolutely will feel it. (In my house we haven't bought or accepted any Canucks merchandise, and have donated the hundreds of dollars we would have spent thus far in the season to the Red Cross to help people who need it.) Targeting merchandise seems more realistic, more fair, and ultimately more painful for the NHL. Hopefully we can hurt their bottom line and put a fear in them that will remain when the next CBA expires.

Edited by poetica, 08 December 2012 - 03:22 PM.

Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#10 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,450 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#11 stuckinontario

stuckinontario

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRYvUUV20TU

THIS. If every NHL arena threw open their doors on opening night to a bunch of empty seats and the sound of crickets chirping (and stayed exactly that way for a number of games afterwards), maybe the owners would finally realize just how close they're coming to committing brand suicide if they continue to employ the same "lock first and ask questions later" negotiating strategy every time the CBA expires. If it doesn't do a thing, the worst-case scenario is that you've saved your $$ to use elsewhere, so why not take the pledge and lock THEM out afterwards?

For me, sitting through 3 lockouts in 20 years takes "Fool Me Once" to a whole new level and although I know I WILL be back, I'll be damned if I'm gonna come back in a hurry, running like a dog who's too stupid to realize that the one he's returning to is the same one kicking him. No, I'm gonna growl and snap as much as I possibly can to show them I'm pissed, and if boycotting a few games (or a whole season if necessary) is the only way I can voice my displeasure, I'm prepared to do so.

All of this is especially true if boycotting the NHL means missing some or all of the shortened, no-interconference-games abortion of a season they may still manage to cobble together this year. As it is, part of me would rather see "Season Not Played" scratched into the Stanley Cup than to see the Canucks' names on it and have to constantly hear from the Leafs fans around me that the only way the Canucks could win it was by playing a shortened season (much like I heckle them for their Leafs doing nothing ever since expansion started and they've had to beat more than just 5 other teams).
Posted Image
Canucks brass, send scouts out to Ptbo!

#12 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,424 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

Too late. My course of action will remain the same, whether or not there is a partial 2012-2013 season.

Not a cent of my money will go to the NHL from now on. Not only is there other hockey, but there are multiple ways to watch Nhl games without paying a dime. No merch. No TSN. No Sportsnet. No seasons tickets. No going to live games at all unless i get a free ticket from some other sucker.

A lot of people other than me are also done with buying anything Nhl-related. I don't the the Nhl is fully aware of how badly they're screwing themselves.

The greedy billionaires will live.

As for the Canucks, they've gotten a fair chunk of my earnings already. They'll live. I'm sure the arenas will remain full, but perhaps not. We'll see.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.