The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do the Canucks have enough depth for shortened season?

Lui's Knob

This could be worse starting out if Kesler, Edler/Garrison (any or all) do not start the shortened season whenever it starts between now and Jan 1 - but in a shortened season while it may help a veteran team, if they hit significant injuries, do they have enough depth to push through for a playoff seed? Compared to a team like Detroit (lots of depth) or Nashville (not much depth)...

Side note - does this shortened season now mean Lui stays for the short year in tandem with Schneider (in case of injury)?

Whoo, feels good to talk hockey again!

Let's say, & I'm just saying here, if the team wins it all in a shortened season, will there be an asterisk beside the team name in future records because they won it all in a shortened season a la the San Antonio Spurs 98-99 season where they played a shortened 50 game season?? Because the Spurs won it in a shortened season, I seem to recall alot of colleagues saying yada yada yada it's not a full season??

Let's say, & I'm just saying here, if the team wins it all in a shortened season, will there be an asterisk beside the team name in future records because they won it all in a shortened season a la the San Antonio Spurs 98-99 season where they played a shortened 50 game season?? Because the Spurs won it in a shortened season, I seem to recall alot of colleagues saying yada yada yada it's not a full season??

I'm kinda dreading a half season, I think it might be worse on our vets health-wise. Here's why: its a WAY shorter season, that means every games will mean a lot more so teams will be fighting hard for every point they can get which will give the whole season more of a playoff feel with lots of body banging and whatnot... Can our vets take it? a 5 month playoff run would be pretty tough to handle on aging bodies, wouldn't it?

This could be worse starting out if Kesler, Edler/Garrison (any or all) do not start the shortened season whenever it starts between now and Jan 1 - but in a shortened season while it may help a veteran team, if they hit significant injuries, do they have enough depth to push through for a playoff seed? Compared to a team like Detroit (lots of depth) or Nashville (not much depth)...

Side note - does this shortened season now mean Lui stays for the short year in tandem with Schneider (in case of injury)?

Whoo, feels good to talk hockey again!

The Canucks would probably have the best chance at winning the Cup if the season was shortened. Our older players don't have to worry about the grind, we'd have our injured players healed and ready for the playoffs and our goalies won't be mentally fatigued and crumble during the playoffs.

However, there are other teams like San Jose in particular with older vets who would thrive in this sort of shortened season. Even a team like Tampa Bay would have an advantage as their older guys

Shouldn't a shorter season help us in that respect?

Doesn't fewer games = fewer injuries?

Atleast that's the way I look at it. I think an shortened season we be a positive for us, it allows time for guys (Kes, Eddie, G52) to heal without the pressure of the ups-down of a season and the burning desire to get back into the line-up.

Plus less games should leave us more fresh for the playoffs, which is really the thing I care about.

Archived