The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

B.C. hit-run caught on camera

Grapefruits

Obviously the driver is at fault and should have stopped, but when does a little common sense take over? People seem to think that when they enter a crosswalk they are somehow in a magical safe buffer zone, all the time I see people just step out into a crosswalk when the signal is lit.

In the video you can see that it is totally dark and the weather conditions aren't great at all, but you see the ladies just run across the cross walk without even taking one look back to see if a car might be turning into their direction.

I've been hearing the argument "Well the pedestrian has the right of way" SO WHAT! The 2500LB or so automobile isn't going to care!

I don't know about anyone else, but before I enter a crosswalk I make sure the driver has seen me or is at least stopped. When crossing I also make sure to check the left hand lane to see if the driver is going to take a left turn into me, lets face it, he's more worried about the oncoming traffic than seeing a pedestrian. Maybe it's just me but I every time I cross the street I think of the dangers of getting hit and keep an eye on all vehicles that could potentially hit me.

--------------------------------------------

Here is a link to the video: http://www.cbc.ca/pl.../ID/2313005305/

*Viewer discretion advised*

Police have released video from the Surrey, B.C., intersection where two joggers were mowed down Monday night by a hit-and-run driver.

The suspect vehicle is described as a white SUV, which is seen in the video at about 7:50 p.m. PT turning left and plowing into the two joggers as they crossed the street.

Shelley Lammers, 51, was airlifted to hospital with serious but non-life threatening injuries, including a head laceration, while Nola Carson, 54, was taken to hospital with less serious injuries.

Carson told CBC News that she met with a plastic surgeon Wednesday morning, who told her she should heal up well and that her battered face would look normal again.

"I don't need surgery," Carson said. "I feel lucky, lucky to be alive."

The two women had just finished a running clinic at a nearby athletic supplies store.

"We were almost to the sidewalk and Shelley came flying at me and I did a face plant. She was on the ground and ... I thought she was going to die."

Police said the women were dressed in reflective clothing so they could easily be seen at night.

The driver is still being sought and police hope the release of the video will bring in more tips and witnesses.

It was the third hit-and-run in B.C.'s Lower Mainland in 24 hours. Two women were killed in separate incidents by drivers who left the scene.

IMO the driver is 100% at blame. From the looks of it, it's quite obvious that two ladies are in the crosswalk and it isn't that hard to look before turning. I use this intersection every day and it isn't poorly lit, etc.

Also, it seems like this driver is blind, does he just simply just stare straight ahead?

IMO the driver is 100% at blame. From the looks of it, it's quite obvious that two ladies are in the crosswalk and it isn't that hard to look before turning. I use this intersection every day and it isn't poorly lit, etc.

Also, it seems like this driver is blind, does he just simply just stare straight ahead?

I strongly disagree with your rant. These ladies were 3/4 of the way through the crosswalk when they were hit. They didn't just step out onto the street without looking, the driver didn't look before making the turn, didn't stop when he/she saw the pedestrians, proceeded to run over the pedestrians, and then proceeded to drive away from the scene.

Whoever this driver is deserves severe punishment.

I strongly disagree with your rant. These ladies were 3/4 of the way through the crosswalk when they were hit. They didn't just step out onto the street without looking, the driver didn't look before making the turn, didn't stop when he/she saw the pedestrians, proceeded to run over the pedestrians, and then proceeded to drive away from the scene.

Whoever this driver is deserves severe punishment.

Ok I hate erratic pedestrians like anyone else but seriously, as people have stated, the SUV is TOTALLY at fault here.

• Crosswalk

• 3/4 of the way through the Crosswalk

• SUV plows through left turn, could you imagine if there was an unseen car behind the car turning left on the opposite side?

• SUV doesn't even attempt to slow down or stop, just keeps going.

3 Seperate pedestrian hit & runs in the Lower Mainland in a 24 hour span. I live in the LM and I had no idea there were this many spineless cowards here. Brutal!!!

Glad these ladies are going to recover, as for the other two RIP

If its the same intersection I'm thinking of the there's no need for the driver to go into the far lane, as it end fairly quickly. That's a bad habit that's a consistent in the LM it's not hard to go into your proper lane, just go straight and turn later, as apposed to turning the whole way. Sorry for going off topic.

Seems pretty clear that the light had changed and anyone wanting to turn left would have to wait for the oncoming traffic that had been waiting at the light to go through, so I would have thought as a pedestrian I was more than safe to cross at that time as well. Clearly the person wanting to turn left hadn't paid any attention to what pedestrians were looking to use the crosswalk while the light was red, and that's completely irresponsible as a driver.

Totally the driver's fault and I put no extra onus on the joggers apart from what they did by waiting for the light to be in their favour.

Archived