#31 Upshall18

Upshall18

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

5 more pedestrians struck tonight :sadno:

Edited by Upshall18, 05 December 2012 - 11:23 PM.

#32 CamTheCanuckFan

CamTheCanuckFan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

Horrible world sometimes eh

#33 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

5 more pedestrians struck tonight :sadno:

Maybe it was the same guy who hit all of them.

Posted Image

#34 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,849 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

No, I don't think they should have been looking. This car basically came from behind them. Do you continuasly look 360 degrees around you as you cross a cross walk in case someone doesn't know how to drive ?

Actually yes. When I get to the half way point I take a quick check behind me to see if anyone is in the turn lane or might be turning left into my path of where I am going to be walking. I'm not about to take any chances. If they would have taken a look they would have seen the driver. Maybe I'm paranoid because of recent back surgery, but I'm not in the mood to get hit because of some idiot not paying attention while driving.

I never said they are to blame, I stated the driver is 100% to blame. I just feel it could have been prevented.

Considering how many people have been hit in the past few days (5 more tonight) I suggest more people take an extra look before proceeding in front of possible turning vehicles.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 06 December 2012 - 12:11 AM.

#35 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,953 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:12 AM

Actually yes. When I get to the half way point I take a quick check behind me to see if anyone is in the turn lane or might be turning left into my path of where I am going to be walking. I'm not about to take any chances. If they would have taken a look they would have seen the driver. Maybe I'm paranoid because of recent back surgery, but I'm not in the mood to get hit because of some idiot not paying attention while driving.

I never said they are to blame, I stated the driver is 100% to blame. I just feel it could have been prevented.

You would have seen the car coming. And it would have plowed you anyways. The driver pretty much broke every possible rule.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#36 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:12 AM

Reflective clothing? Check
Lights? Check
Walking on Walk sign in a marked crosswalk? Check

Seems like they did everything they were supposed to do to me.

#37 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,574 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

Really? I mean anything that you think might increase your safety is good but won't people think you are crazy or something?

...at least enough that the other driver acknowledges your presence and stops for you. I'm not suggesting waving my device around like an inflatable tube man, but just enough so that the car stops.

#38 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:43 AM

Technically you shouldn't be turning, until its cleared of pedestrians. 100% drivers fault, and Hope they get caught.

The 2nd women might not make it. :(

http://www.news1130....-lower-mainland

makes me sick.
November 20th 2013, Canucks just lost their 5th straight game. Last time this happened the Canucks, they missed the playoffs.

#39 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:48 AM

...at least enough that the other driver acknowledges your presence and stops for you. I'm not suggesting waving my device around like an inflatable tube man, but just enough so that the car stops.

Its funny that is how I actually imagined you when you are crossing an intersection.

Posted Image

#40 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,574 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:59 AM

Its funny that is how I actually imagined you when you are crossing an intersection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-tkXhg-m5c

That will definitely get cars stopping.

#41 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,849 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

You would have seen the car coming. And it would have plowed you anyways. The driver pretty much broke every possible rule.

No I wouldn't have. I wouldn't have stepped into that lane of traffic if I thought there was any chance of the car turning left into me. I've seen people almost get hit before, and people get hit from not looking. It's not something I'm going to take a chance with.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 06 December 2012 - 01:53 PM.

#42 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

No I wouldn't have. I wouldn't have stepped into that lane of traffic if I thought there was any chance of the car turning left into me. I've seen people almost get hit before, and people get hit from not looking. It's not something I'm going to take a chance with.

The car wasn;t even there when they stepped onto the road, they were about halfway across when it finally showed up and didn;t even tap his brakes making the turn he didn't slow down at all. The driver is a moron, end of story. The pedestrians did nothing wrong

Edited by Primus099, 06 December 2012 - 02:35 PM.

#43 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

Ya gotta blame the driver on this one. Still, the joggers just ran across without keeping an eye open for idiots. Look at the driver and try to make eye contact.

edit. The driver sure seems unaware. On his/her cellphone maybe?

Edited by hudson bay rules, 06 December 2012 - 03:04 PM.

I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#44 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,871 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

Black rims... My guess individual was intoxicated and or text messaging while driving. Aged 20-25 years old. Anyone want to place a bet?

He's 53 and he's been arrested.
Posted Image

#45 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,432 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

He's 53 and he's been arrested.

link?
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#46 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

link?

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...er-hit-run.html

#47 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,183 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

Good to see him be arrested.

Posted Image

#48 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

Curious as to why a name hasn't been released whether it was a John Smith or a Gurdeep Grewal.

Edited by hudson bay rules, 06 December 2012 - 05:08 PM.

#49 Horny Manatee

Horny Manatee

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

You are the safest person ever. Number 1. Probably will live to 150.
Posted Image
Lick my lollipops?

#50 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,432 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

^^^^ *stands on corner indefinitely*
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#51 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

You are the safest person ever. Number 1. Probably will live to 150.

there are attentive people and then there is everyone else.

I recall a situation on Marine drive and Capilano rd in North Van.

I was waiting for a light to go straight (east) when the light allowing traffic to go east as well as north changed in our favour. I noticed the car on my left entered the intersection and then stopped even tho he/she had the right of way. I decided to stop as well and check out the situation and then I saw a car going south completely against the lights at full speed. I never saw the car until the last second but since I saw the other car acting extra cautious I too avoided a possible accident. The south bound car never hit anyone (as far as I could tell) and the incident went undocumented.

Edited by hudson bay rules, 06 December 2012 - 05:35 PM.

#52 kazin!

kazin!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,013 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

Curious as to why a name hasn't been released whether it was a John Smith or a Gurdeep Grewal.

This was in South Surrey, so likely a John Smith....or honestly, a Fang Di Zhang.
Posted Image

#53 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

Harpreet Atwal

#54 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,183 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

It's probably a LaShawn Daniels...

Posted Image

#55 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,751 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

The thread maker is an apologist of bad driving.

For the record, I'm almost always the pedestrian with the earphones. But the difference is that I have my head on a swivel - looking over my shoulder all the time and only crossing if I see cars behaving the way they should. Too many times have cars tried to turn early even though I was on the other side of the crosswalk, walking towards where they were turning.

The OP is forgetting something. The drivers' handbook for newbies says that drivers are supposed to wait till pedestrians fully cross the crosswalk. That means a lot of these drivers would fail the drivers' test. Both of them.

Like I said above, my decision-making when walking a crosswalk acknowledges the fact that pedestrians should watch for bad drivers, but the onus is not on the pedestrian. There's a reason why being a car driver requires a license and no license for being a pedestrian.

OP, you're completely out to lunch for trying to say pedestrians have "responsibility" on this issue.

Edited by Dazzle, 06 December 2012 - 09:46 PM.

Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#56 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 64,467 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

More hit and runs:

@ScanBC
#Surrey #RCMP are responding to 12700 69 Ave after a person was intentionally run over with a vehicle. BCAS and Fire are also responding.

:sadno:
Posted Image

#57 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,776 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

More hit and runs:

@ScanBC
#Surrey #RCMP are responding to 12700 69 Ave after a person was intentionally run over with a vehicle. BCAS and Fire are also responding.

:sadno:

Intentionally run over? Sounds like an amateur gang hit who can't afford guns so they run people over..you must have to stalk a person for quite a while before you get a good opportunity to intentionally run them over..

Swap Byron Leftwich and Tom Brady's situations. Today Brady would be a UFA or on the Roughriders practice roster, Byron Leftwich would have 100 more wins than losses.

:picard:

"Spirituality, faith and democracy are the corner stones of our country. We are all Patriots. And tonight, the Patriots are World Champions." -Robert Kraft

#58 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,134 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

Ya gotta blame the driver on this one. Still, the joggers just ran across without keeping an eye open for idiots. Look at the driver and try to make eye contact.

Make eye contact when they are 3/4 through the intersection??????

It's not like the joggers had JUST stepped off the curb.
Posted Image

#59 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 32,615 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

Considering how many people have been hit in the past few days (5 more tonight) I suggest more people take an extra look before proceeding in front of possible turning vehicles.

The pedestrians shouldn't have to look around, they were 100 % in the right. That's like saying a car driving thru a green light that gets t-boned by a car that ran a red light should have been paying attention.

#60 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

The thread maker is an apologist of bad driving.

For the record, I'm almost always the pedestrian with the earphones. But the difference is that I have my head on a swivel - looking over my shoulder all the time and only crossing if I see cars behaving the way they should. Too many times have cars tried to turn early even though I was on the other side of the crosswalk, walking towards where they were turning.

The OP is forgetting something. The drivers' handbook for newbies says that drivers are supposed to wait till pedestrians fully cross the crosswalk. That means a lot of these drivers would fail the drivers' test. Both of them.

Like I said above, my decision-making when walking a crosswalk acknowledges the fact that pedestrians should watch for bad drivers, but the onus is not on the pedestrian. There's a reason why being a car driver requires a license and no license for being a pedestrian.

OP, you're completely out to lunch for trying to say pedestrians have "responsibility" on this issue.

The point he was making was that it is better to be extra cautious and be aware of your surrounding. Not everyone is a good driver and not everyone will follow the rules.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.