The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

B.C. hit-run caught on camera

Grapefruits

Driver at fault. This also could have been prevented had the pedestrians wore reflective clothing - from the video, it didn't look like they did.

Personal advice here: I always take out my phone/iPod and wave it around as I'm crossing the street - it's so that others know I'm crossing and to stop for me as I'm proceeding. A good tip I learned from a bus driver who's seen it all...

Driver at fault. This also could have been prevented had the pedestrians wore reflective clothing - from the video, it didn't look like they did.

Personal advice here: I always take out my phone/iPod and wave it around as I'm crossing the street - it's so that others know I'm crossing and to stop for me as I'm proceeding. A good tip I learned from a bus driver who's seen it all...

Of course he is to blame, but don't you think they should be paying attention to that possible danger? It's no secret that some drivers shouldn't be on the road and have no clue how to drive safely, which makes it more of a reason for pedestrians to pay attention.

No, I don't think they should have been looking. This car basically came from behind them. Do you continuasly look 360 degrees around you as you cross a cross walk in case someone doesn't know how to drive ?

3 Seperate pedestrian hit & runs in the Lower Mainland in a 24 hour span. I live in the LM and I had no idea there were this many spineless cowards here. Brutal!!!

Glad these ladies are going to recover, as for the other two RIP

If its the same intersection I'm thinking of the there's no need for the driver to go into the far lane, as it end fairly quickly. That's a bad habit that's a consistent in the LM it's not hard to go into your proper lane, just go straight and turn later, as apposed to turning the whole way. Sorry for going off topic.

Actually yes. When I get to the half way point I take a quick check behind me to see if anyone is in the turn lane or might be turning left into my path of where I am going to be walking. I'm not about to take any chances. If they would have taken a look they would have seen the driver. Maybe I'm paranoid because of recent back surgery, but I'm not in the mood to get hit because of some idiot not paying attention while driving.

I never said they are to blame, I stated the driver is 100% to blame. I just feel it could have been prevented.

Archived