Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

More hit and runs:

@ScanBC
#Surrey #RCMP are responding to 12700 69 Ave after a person was intentionally run over with a vehicle. BCAS and Fire are also responding.

:sadno:

Rule of thumb here is to not cross the streets in Surrey. Man, they are challenging the title of being the worst drivers which is currently held by Richmond.

Posted Image

#62 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:34 AM

They caught the guy in South Surrey.

http://www.vancouver...2271/story.html

PPL should not be jogging/walking at night with our weather. Dark, Rainy no lights. Surrey is known as the City of Parks after all. There's a park in every neighborhood. Go to a park or go to the gym. Otherwise you risk your health and possibly your life.

I have a family member who walks every day. He used to walk to the park which was only 3 or 4 blocks away to do laps on the track and walk back home. I convinced him to drive to the park instead. This is what he's been doing for a few years now. Makes the whole family feel better and at ease.

#63 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:52 AM

I convinced him to drive to the park instead. This is what he's been doing for a few years now. Makes the whole family feel better and at ease.

yes because cars never run into other cars only pedestrians

#64 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:02 AM

yes because cars never run into other cars only pedestrians

Well of course they do. But when a car runs into a pedestrian at 50 km p/hr it's usually a lot worse than when a car runs into a car at 50 km p/hr.

I nearly lost my life in a car accident. Also nearly lost my life in a motorbike accident. Both times took me years to recover. I still have my bike but don't ride anymore because I now realize how dangerous it is.

it's just a lot more dangerous walking/jogging on city streets late night, especially in our city where the weather is as it is. If someone is doing it to exerciser IMO its better they go to the gym or a park. That's what those places are meant for.

#65 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:32 AM

i get what you're saying, lots of people don't like being crammed into a gym and running on a treadmill though. and if you don't live near a park there's not much else you can really do unfortunately. But these joggers were wearing reflective clothing and headlamps there's no excuse for the driver not seeing them

#66 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:21 AM

Make eye contact when they are 3/4 through the intersection??????

It's not like the joggers had JUST stepped off the curb.

not lookin' out for stupid drivers is just plain stupid,
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#67 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:44 AM

The pedestrians shouldn't have to look around, they were 100 % in the right. That's like saying a car driving thru a green light that gets t-boned by a car that ran a red light should have been paying attention.

If you'd go take a defensive driving course that's exactlly what you'd be taught. Intersections are where most accidents happen, you need to heighten your awareness every time you approach one.

Edited by nucklehead, 07 December 2012 - 05:46 AM.

biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

#68 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:27 AM

They caught the guy in South Surrey.

PPL should not be jogging/walking at night with our weather. Dark, Rainy no lights. Surrey is known as the City of Parks after all. There's a park in every neighborhood. Go to a park or go to the gym. Otherwise you risk your health and possibly your life.

I have a family member who walks every day. He used to walk to the park which was only 3 or 4 blocks away to do laps on the track and walk back home. I convinced him to drive to the park instead. This is what he's been doing for a few years now. Makes the whole family feel better and at ease.

My grandpa walks 2-3 times a day at a local park but he always used to walk there. There was an accident involving a senior and a car at the intersection right before the park. My family and I all pitched in and bought my grandpa a basic car, I think it was a nissan sentra or something. For his age, he's a great driver, so we also feel better about him driving to the park.

Swap Byron Leftwich and Tom Brady's situations. Today Brady would be a UFA or on the Roughriders practice roster, Byron Leftwich would have 100 more wins than losses.

:picard:

"Spirituality, faith and democracy are the corner stones of our country. We are all Patriots. And tonight, the Patriots are World Champions." -Robert Kraft

#69 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,583 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

This isn't the answer - for people to avoid walking at night in weather. What if they were jogging to the store or a destination that required that route?

The solution is for the idiots behind the wheel to:

1. Slow down and take extra care when driving, especially at night in the rain.
2. Take defensive driving related courses or at least know how to drive.
3. Always check crosswalks before turning. Duh.

I don't think it's fair to put the focus on the people crossing in crosswalks...it's the drivers who need to clue in.

Posted Image

#70 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

If you'd go take a defensive driving course that's exactlly what you'd be taught. Intersections are where most accidents happen, you need to heighten your awareness every time you approach one.

You can take defensive driving courses all you want if someone pulls out in front of you at the last second when you're 10 feet away from them you're not stopping in time even if you're driving the speed limit

Edited by Primus099, 07 December 2012 - 01:48 PM.

#71 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

This isn't the answer - for people to avoid walking at night in weather. What if they were jogging to the store or a destination that required that route?

The solution is for the idiots behind the wheel to:

1. Slow down and take extra care when driving, especially at night in the rain.
2. Take defensive driving related courses or at least know how to drive.
3. Always check crosswalks before turning. Duh.

I don't think it's fair to put the focus on the people crossing in crosswalks...it's the drivers who need to clue in.

I don't depend on every driver to have taken defensive driving courses. I take responsibility for my own safety. I don't depend on ppl not to drink and drive. Just recently the police set up a road block and charged 29 ppl with drinking and driving, at one location.

No amount of defensive driving will stop every single accident. Even if you take out drinking and idiot drivers, accidents still happen. I personally wouldn't jog on the street. I encourage my family members not to do the same.

Now it's impossible to completely avoid walking on the streets. But if its night time and/or dark and rainy I would avoid it as much as I can.

#72 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

i get what you're saying, lots of people don't like being crammed into a gym and running on a treadmill though. and if you don't live near a park there's not much else you can really do unfortunately. But these joggers were wearing reflective clothing and headlamps there's no excuse for the driver not seeing them

Exactly. These joggers took all the safety precautions and still got hit. This is my point. It's just dangerous. You can do everything right but some else hits you.

#73 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

Driver at fault. This also could have been prevented had the pedestrians wore reflective clothing - from the video, it didn't look like they did.

Personal advice here: I always take out my phone/iPod and wave it around as I'm crossing the street - it's so that others know I'm crossing and to stop for me as I'm proceeding. A good tip I learned from a bus driver who's seen it all...

I just carry a bunch of military grade flares with me and light one of every time I cross the road.

Edited by Red Light Racicot, 07 December 2012 - 03:43 PM.

#74 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

He's 53 and he's been arrested.

danmit i was wrong :(
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#75 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

You can take defensive driving courses all you want if someone pulls out in front of you at the last second when you're 10 feet away from them you're not stopping in time even if you're driving the speed limit

This speaks more to the idividuals driving skill and/or aptitude. What I like to call Driving Intelligence(DIQ). Some of you just don't have it, this much is clear. I've been driving for over 30 years without an accident claim (that was my fault). Good drivers are always aware and have a better than average ability to anticipate any and all possibities. You should always have an escape plan in the corner of your mind to deal with anything that could potenetially happen in front of you. Always expect the unexpected. As for the pedestrians they do have a duty to ensure the driver sees them and is given a chance to stop before walking in front of a 2000 lb. piece of streaking metal.
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

#76 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,489 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

100 percent driver's fault at its crap like this i wait a couple seconds before crossing the road even on green light for me or even on a stop sign for drivers i have a couple stop signs around my house that drivers seem to like to run straight through and one intersection on kingsway where again drivers just love to run red lights and during construction thing there is room in the lane and end up getting stuck in the middle of the intersection

#77 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

Rule of thumb here is to not cross the streets in Surrey. Man, they are challenging the title of being the worst drivers which is currently held by Richmond.

I've walked the streets of Guilin, Xi'ian, Beijing and Shanghai during rush hours, and felt safer than I do crossing at intersections in downtown Vancouver. Everyone driving downtown is such an a*shole and in such a hurry to make the lights that they don't care to stop and look for pedestrians. Lost a lot of good Starbucks drinks to dumb drivers' windshields.

Swap Byron Leftwich and Tom Brady's situations. Today Brady would be a UFA or on the Roughriders practice roster, Byron Leftwich would have 100 more wins than losses.

:picard:

"Spirituality, faith and democracy are the corner stones of our country. We are all Patriots. And tonight, the Patriots are World Champions." -Robert Kraft

#78 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,943 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

He is scheduled to appear in court on May 13, 2013.

what a joke... love our justice system...

#79 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

He is scheduled to appear in court on May 13, 2013.

what a joke... love our justice system...

Link?

Why is this a joke?
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#80 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

Link?

Why is this a joke?

I guess he found it amusing
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#81 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 32,617 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

Link?

Why is this a joke?

Its says in this article.

I think he says it's a joke because it's 5 months away and not right away.

#82 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 68,453 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

Link?

Why is this a joke?

The man is facing charges of Dangerous Driving Causing Bodily Harm and will appear in court on May 13, 2013.

http://www.globaltvb...5428/story.html

307mg00.jpg

#83 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

Its says in this article.

I think he says it's a joke because it's 5 months away and not right away.

It has been thus for years. Given the crowding in the courts and scarce resources, this is standard. Taxpayers do not have additional taxes high on their list of priorities for government spending.

Also the police investigation will continue and the charges may be upgraded.

The recent Cowper Report (August 27, 2012 - http://www.scribd.co...er-Final-Report ) on delays and backlogs in the justice system found that that 40 per cent of the charges in the system are "administration of justice" offences such as breaches of probation, parole or bail because too many homeless addicts and mentally ill persons are caught up in the criminal net and this amounts to expensive social work by the police and courts.

When the Closer to Home program of moving the mentally ill into the community without proper resources and an increasing lack of treatment options for the addicted and mentally ill - again taxpayers do not want to pay... the courts become the default treatment option. As a result increasing backlogs and delays.

Edited by Wetcoaster, 08 December 2012 - 12:28 PM.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#84 VancouverCanucksRock

VancouverCanucksRock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

IMO the driver is 100% at blame. From the looks of it, it's quite obvious that two ladies are in the crosswalk and it isn't that hard to look before turning. I use this intersection every day and it isn't poorly lit, etc.

Also, it seems like this driver is blind, does he just simply just stare straight ahead?

Isn't it a cross-WALK though?
Posted Image WHen idiots think numbers are words, I do believe in 2012 for cleansing Earth of the idiots

#85 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

Isn't it a cross-WALK though?

Per the BC Motor Vehicle Act - all a crosswalk provides is the area dedicated for a pedestrian to cross - and as quickly as possible -"a pedestrian still in the roadway or on a crosswalk in the vicinity of the signal when the green light is exhibited must proceed as quickly as possible from the roadway."

#86 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,583 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

Defensive driving teaches you to expect the unexpected...to be aware of what's going on around you and always leave yourself an out. Of course, it won't always guarantee you won't have a collision with some jackass, but you predict that someone will do the unpredictable and prepare ahead in case they do. Like know where you'd swerve to, etc. To have a plan of escape basically.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.