The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New home for Detroit Red Wings

WHL rocks

Looks like the Joe Louis will be gone soon. I'll miss it. Kinda like the old Maple Leaf Garden, The Boston Garden and Montreal Forum. So much history and memories in the Joe Louis.

Govt. funding has been approved by the state senate for a new $650 million arena.

Red Wings seek new hockey arena

Updated: December 5, 2012, 10:28 PM ETAssociated Press

LANSING, Mich. -- The Michigan Senate approved legislation Wednesday to help finance a downtown Detroit project that would include a new home for the NHL's Detroit Red Wings.

Team owner Mike Ilitch this week announced plans for a $650 million multiuse development, which would include an events center where Red Wings games could be held. He has said for years he'd like a new arena for the team, which now plays at the aging Joe Louis Arena.

The bill approved by the Senate would allow use of tax dollars collected by the city's Downtown Development Authority for the project. DDAs capture shares of local tax revenue to support development activities such as marketing and buying property.

Senate Democratic leader Gretchen Whitmer opposed the measure as a drain on funding for Detroit's public schools.

The city's DDA has been allowed for nearly two decades to pay down general obligation bonds with about $12.8 million a year that otherwise would have gone to education, she said. Now that those bonds are paid off, the bill would tap that same revenue stream for Ilitch's project instead of finally steering the money back to education.

"This is a direct subsidy by school kids to allow a billionaire to build a hockey arena," Whitmer said. "That's the Republican agenda we all know and love. ... It makes me sick. I hear my colleagues say, 'Oh, this is for Detroit and we're all in favor of Detroit now,' because one billionaire called you."

Senate Majority Leader Randy Richardville said the Ilitch project would be an economic boon for Detroit and Michigan, pumping more than $1.9 million into the economy and creating about 8,300 construction jobs.

The bill was approved on a 27-11 vote and returned to the House. To take effect, it must be enacted before the 2011-12 session ends this month.

So tell me again how owners are taking "all" the risks on hockey clubs. Katz is asking for money to build his new arena in Edmonton and wants the City of Edmonton footing part of the bill. Glendale is pretty much paying to keep hockey there. Now Michigan is pumping tax dollars into the new home of the Red Wings.

Owners taking all the risks? Don't make me laugh.

At least all of those poorly educated kids will have a nice arena they can't afford to visit.

I wonder if the politicians who decided this was a good idea are products of the public education system. Those old textbooks must be bad if they can't figure out it'll take a long time for a city putting in tens (if not hundreds!) of millions to build the arena but only seeing a possible $1.9M yearly benefit to simply break even.

America ALWAYS seems to find money for major sports arenas. This is Detroit's 3rd in 15 years.

Compare that to a much more financially stable city like Vancouver, which has had 4 total in 100 years. (BC Place, GM Place, original Empire Stadium, and the Pacific Colosseum)

This is disgusting. As much of a hockey fan I am, I would never agree to public funds to pay for a privately owned arena.

Horrible civic leaders. Most of them probably bribed. I guess this is one of the reasons why Detroit has been near bankrupt for so many years.

To choose funding a privately owned sport over children's education can not be any more wrong.

I'm sure there is as much if not more corruption in a city like Detroit in and surrounding the Education Supplies and Construction and Maintenance contracts.

I'm not saying this was right but people elect Senators and others to make these decisions and I have learned living in the UK that there are always hands out for money by the Education Authorities, the Health Service, the Public Services, Defence etc. They tend to be the most inefficient and badly managed organisations around.

I wish WE had more people over here willing to invest in Sports Complexes and their like.

Detroit is bankrupt. Essential services are consistantly being cut back. The State of Michigan has regularly threatened the City that state officials would take admin over. Last mayor stated they would burn the city down first! Sections of the City where police won't go.

So Ilich wants to put money back into this cesspool and some moron says the rich get richer. If I was him I wouldn't put a dime in there let alone fund the entire development. He has more faith than what is probably good for him.

I believe it was the great Ted Lindsay who said he doesn't go down to the Joe anymore because it isn't safe!

So tell me again how owners are taking "all" the risks on hockey clubs. Katz is asking for money to build his new arena in Edmonton and wants the City of Edmonton footing part of the bill. Glendale is pretty much paying to keep hockey there. Now Michigan is pumping tax dollars into the new home of the Red Wings.

Owners taking all the risks? Don't make me laugh.

Archived