16 replies to this topic

#1 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

Looks like the Joe Louis will be gone soon. I'll miss it. Kinda like the old Maple Leaf Garden, The Boston Garden and Montreal Forum. So much history and memories in the Joe Louis.

Govt. funding has been approved by the state senate for a new $650 million arena.

Red Wings seek new hockey arena

Updated: December 5, 2012, 10:28 PM ETAssociated Press

LANSING, Mich. -- The Michigan Senate approved legislation Wednesday to help finance a downtown Detroit project that would include a new home for the NHL's Detroit Red Wings.
Team owner Mike Ilitch this week announced plans for a $650 million multiuse development, which would include an events center where Red Wings games could be held. He has said for years he'd like a new arena for the team, which now plays at the aging Joe Louis Arena.
The bill approved by the Senate would allow use of tax dollars collected by the city's Downtown Development Authority for the project. DDAs capture shares of local tax revenue to support development activities such as marketing and buying property.
Senate Democratic leader Gretchen Whitmer opposed the measure as a drain on funding for Detroit's public schools.
The city's DDA has been allowed for nearly two decades to pay down general obligation bonds with about $12.8 million a year that otherwise would have gone to education, she said. Now that those bonds are paid off, the bill would tap that same revenue stream for Ilitch's project instead of finally steering the money back to education.
"This is a direct subsidy by school kids to allow a billionaire to build a hockey arena," Whitmer said. "That's the Republican agenda we all know and love. ... It makes me sick. I hear my colleagues say, 'Oh, this is for Detroit and we're all in favor of Detroit now,' because one billionaire called you."
Senate Majority Leader Randy Richardville said the Ilitch project would be an economic boon for Detroit and Michigan, pumping more than $1.9 million into the economy and creating about 8,300 construction jobs.
The bill was approved on a 27-11 vote and returned to the House. To take effect, it must be enacted before the 2011-12 session ends this month.

Edited by WHL rocks, 05 December 2012 - 09:00 PM.

#2 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,414 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

So tell me again how owners are taking "all" the risks on hockey clubs. Katz is asking for money to build his new arena in Edmonton and wants the City of Edmonton footing part of the bill. Glendale is pretty much paying to keep hockey there. Now Michigan is pumping tax dollars into the new home of the Red Wings.

Owners taking all the risks? Don't make me laugh.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#3 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

RIP Joe Louis

It truly was Hockeytown

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

#4 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,492 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

At least all of those poorly educated kids will have a nice arena they can't afford to visit.

I wonder if the politicians who decided this was a good idea are products of the public education system. Those old textbooks must be bad if they can't figure out it'll take a long time for a city putting in tens (if not hundreds!) of millions to build the arena but only seeing a possible $1.9M yearly benefit to simply break even.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#5 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,813 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

How is Michigan going to afford this?
Posted Image

#6 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

I can't understand how citizens allow govt's to give billionaires hundreds of millions of $$. In Vancouver, BC Place cost the taxpayers close to $700 million. I can't stand it.

#7 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,725 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

Michigan bailout money put to good use!

#8 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

America ALWAYS seems to find money for major sports arenas. This is Detroit's 3rd in 15 years.

Compare that to a much more financially stable city like Vancouver, which has had 4 total in 100 years. (BC Place, GM Place, original Empire Stadium, and the Pacific Colosseum)

#9 grandmaster

grandmaster

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:23 AM

This is disgusting. As much of a hockey fan I am, I would never agree to public funds to pay for a privately owned arena.

Horrible civic leaders. Most of them probably bribed. I guess this is one of the reasons why Detroit has been near bankrupt for so many years.

To choose funding a privately owned sport over children's education can not be any more wrong.

Favorite all time Canuck: Bertuzzi 2002-2003 season
Most clutch all time Canuck: Linden 1994 Stanley Cup Playoffs
Most exciting all time Canuck: Pavel Bure 90's

#10 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:48 AM

I'm sure there is as much if not more corruption in a city like Detroit in and surrounding the Education Supplies and Construction and Maintenance contracts.

I'm not saying this was right but people elect Senators and others to make these decisions and I have learned living in the UK that there are always hands out for money by the Education Authorities, the Health Service, the Public Services, Defence etc. They tend to be the most inefficient and badly managed organisations around.

I wish WE had more people over here willing to invest in Sports Complexes and their like.
Kevin.jpg

#11 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:54 AM

It would be good if Detroit was actually on it's feet. Bigger arena means higher profits more often than not, here's to hoping.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#12 La Mauviette75

La Mauviette75

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

I, too, think it should be privately funded. however, big construction projects = jobs. that's a good thing for detroit.
Posted Image

O Ville Lumière, Sens la chaleur, de notre coeur

#13 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

Detroit is bankrupt. Essential services are consistantly being cut back. The State of Michigan has regularly threatened the City that state officials would take admin over. Last mayor stated they would burn the city down first! Sections of the City where police won't go.

So Ilich wants to put money back into this cesspool and some moron says the rich get richer. If I was him I wouldn't put a dime in there let alone fund the entire development. He has more faith than what is probably good for him.

I believe it was the great Ted Lindsay who said he doesn't go down to the Joe anymore because it isn't safe!

#14 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,443 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

Multipurpose Arena. Probably to watch Piston games also. Also this arena is much much much older then Rexall place. It's time they got a new arena actually regardless of what Edmonton does.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#15 Quinn12

Quinn12

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

Got to see a game with Roberto in net in Detroit couple years ago.. At least I saw 1 game in Joe Louie w/ Louie!
R.I.P. Luc Bourdon.. Forever a Canuck; never forgotten

"'Grow some balls, just do it; and he went down there and done it"
--- Claude Giroux on how he helped his brother-in-law propose to his sister. lol

#16 grandmaster

grandmaster

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

I, too, think it should be privately funded. however, big construction projects = jobs. that's a good thing for detroit.

I see your point but the costs are still too high. A few construction jobs that would be temporary versus education, especially in the near bankrupt city of Detroit is not worth it.

So proud of our team owners not doing it this way 😊

Even though our government is much stronger than Detroit, it was never even questioned

Favorite all time Canuck: Bertuzzi 2002-2003 season
Most clutch all time Canuck: Linden 1994 Stanley Cup Playoffs
Most exciting all time Canuck: Pavel Bure 90's

#17 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,795 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

So tell me again how owners are taking "all" the risks on hockey clubs. Katz is asking for money to build his new arena in Edmonton and wants the City of Edmonton footing part of the bill. Glendale is pretty much paying to keep hockey there. Now Michigan is pumping tax dollars into the new home of the Red Wings.

Owners taking all the risks? Don't make me laugh.

Good point
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.