The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Choosing the right laptop, camera and phone

kacholu

I have always wondered how do you know which product is the best for you?

Obviously we would have to try them out and see but that's not possible since really time consuming.

So how do you guys choose which laptop or camera to buy?

Are there certain websites with lots of ratings and reviews?

Also where would I find the best deals?

I bought a MacBook because my friend had one and showed me how cool they were and what they could do. This was 2 years ago and I don't regret it.

Buying a laptop all depends on what you want to do with the computer. Will you game? Or just use the Internet / Microsoft word. Do you need a lot of memory or RAM? Questions like that.

Phone was easy for me. iPhone because 1) I had a Mac 2) My BB broke 3) I hate Samsung phones and 4) I already knew how to work it.

Cell phones are just like Computers. You buy one that fits your need. If you just make calls, you don't really need a smart phone. If you text a lot, you'll want a qwerty keyboard / smartphone. If you only use it for email or business purposes, get a BB.

Cameras are out of my knowledge, but the 2 most important factors are Megapixels and 1080i(720p) or 1080p capability

The 2 dominant do it all phones are the iPhone 4/4s/5 and Samsung Nexus/Galaxy S2/S3

I hope this helped at least a bit

I bought a MacBook because my friend had one and showed me how cool they were and what they could do. This was 2 years ago and I don't regret it.

Buying a laptop all depends on what you want to do with the computer. Will you game? Or just use the Internet / Microsoft word. Do you need a lot of memory or RAM? Questions like that.

Phone was easy for me. iPhone because 1) I had a Mac 2) My BB broke 3) I hate Samsung phones and 4) I already knew how to work it.

Cell phones are just like Computers. You buy one that fits your need. If you just make calls, you don't really need a smart phone. If you text a lot, you'll want a qwerty keyboard / smartphone. If you only use it for email or business purposes, get a BB.

Cameras are out of my knowledge, but the 2 most important factors are Megapixels and 1080i(720p) or 1080p capability

The 2 dominant do it all phones are the iPhone 4/4s/5 and Samsung Nexus/Galaxy S2/S3

I hope this helped at least a bit

Sorry I should have clarified what I need for each of them.

For the laptop I need something with lots of RAM and ability to run many applications at the same time. That's about it nothing else.

For the camera I want a photographers camera. All I know is lenses are more important and more expensive.

For cell phones I think I'm good with iPhone for now but would be good to hear other experiences.

I usually turn to friends as well like you did but I thought I would see if there are more helpful ways. Like there is a site that rates phones called gsnarena I believe.

Obviously we would have to try them out and see but that's not possible since really time consuming.

Sorry I should have clarified what I need for each of them.

For the laptop I need something with lots of RAM and ability to run many applications at the same time. That's about it nothing else.

For the camera I want a photographers camera. All I know is lenses are more important and more expensive.

For cell phones I think I'm good with iPhone for now but would be good to hear other experiences.

I usually turn to friends as well like you did but I thought I would see if there are more helpful ways. Like there is a site that rates phones called gsnarena I believe.

what do you need this stuff for? school?

I'm an architecture student and I recently bought a lenovo w530 with a bunch of upgrades i did myself. I love macbooks, i've been using macs for seven years, but it would have cost me a grand extra for the processing power, the ssd storage, and the ram. I run photoshop, illustrator, autocad, and indesign simultaneously along with chrome, itunes, ect. for hours on end with no real issues. battery life leaves something to be desired, but that is to expected with a workstation like mine. i don't really need battery life, but the power brick is ridiculously large. one thing i will say is that if you don't want to worry at all about your computer, and you don't want to learn how to deal with issues yourself, don't get a pc. though you can't upgrade the new mbp's, they are way more user friendly, and they rarely run into issues. i don't love my pc, but it is a work computer and it does its job very well. i expect it to last me 3-4 years running high performance software.

Nexus 4 (16 GB) - $359 + tax

Sony NEX 5R (with 18-55 mm lens) - $699 + tax

18-200 mm lens - $849 + tax

Dell Inspiron 14z Ultrabook (8GB RAM, 2.6 Ghz intel i5, 1GB AMD Raedon graphics, 500 GB HDD + 32 GB SSD, built in optical drive (DVD burner)) - $899 + tax

Total: $2806 + tax ($336) = $3142

Based on better value products, you should be able to spend a little over 3K. Although you do get great quality products such as the latest Nexus phone, latest Sony camera and latest Dell Ultrabook. Plus the phone is an unlocked pentaband that would work on any network and you would own it outright without monthly payments.

Google is your friend.

That being said, I'm just going to give you reccomendations based on brand

Laptops= Asus (very good warranty) HP, and apple. Apple's notebooks are the fastest growing, and the 2nd most popular on the planet behind, Acer, who are known to manufacture cheap and affordable notebooks. You go to universaty or a college, gauranteed, mass majority is sporting an apple note book.

Camera. Ummmmmm, megapixel has absolutley nothing to do with it..... You can go with a pocket camera or the ones that have the big round lense for ultra good quality camera. Megapixel just means how big the photo is, rather then quality. Brand's I reccomend is Canon, Nikon. Canon Rebel series is pure awesome.

Phones. I guess you can check out tech reviews. Apple, Nokia, HTC, these 3 companies make wonderful solid as hell phones, that don't feel cheap like Sony, Samsung, LG, Motorolla.

Cheers

Nexus 4 (16 GB) - $359 + tax

Sony NEX 5R (with 18-55 mm lens) - $699 + tax

18-200 mm lens - $849 + tax

Dell Inspiron 14z Ultrabook (8GB RAM, 2.6 Ghz intel i5, 1GB AMD Raedon graphics, 500 GB HDD + 32 GB SSD, built in optical drive (DVD burner)) - $899 + tax

Total: $2806 + tax ($336) = $3142

Based on better value products, you should be able to spend a little over 3K. Although you do get great quality products such as the latest Nexus phone, latest Sony camera and latest Dell Ultrabook. Plus the phone is an unlocked pentaband that would work on any network and you would own it outright without monthly payments.

Google is your friend.

Laptops= Asus (very good warranty) HP, and apple. Apple's notebooks are the fastest growing, and the 2nd most popular on the planet behind, Acer, who are known to manufacture cheap and affordable notebooks. You go to universaty or a college, gauranteed, mass majority is sporting an apple note book.

Camera. Ummmmmm, megapixel has absolutley nothing to do with it..... You can go with a pocket camera or the ones that have the big round lense for ultra good quality camera. Megapixel just means how big the photo is, rather then quality. Brand's I reccomend is Canon, Nikon. Canon Rebel series is pure awesome.

Phones. I guess you can check out tech reviews. Apple, Nokia, HTC, these 3 companies make wonderful solid as hell phones, that don't feel cheap like Sony, Samsung, LG, Motorolla.

Cheers

Google is your friend.

Cheers

Laptops are a "it depends" answer.

My son wanted a laptop - but he's also a gamer like me - so after checking out reviews, we got him an Alienware laptop.

Yes, Dell bought them, but the Alienware has been rock solid now for 16 months.

When researching, don't just use one source - look at many.

Edit: BTW, when I said we bought him - it was a collective "we" - that is, his mom and I paid half and he paid half as the Alienware's are kind of like Mac's - pricey.

Archived