The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Choosing the right laptop, camera and phone

kacholu

Samsung S2 because it's simply better then the iPhone.

Windows laptop cause it's much cheaper than a mac and does exactly what i need it to ans more.

camera i don't really use one, so not much of an opinion on that.

mp3 player i got a ipod mini touch, not very expensive and you have the option use it as a watch, which is easy in the gym while working out.

Laptops are a "it depends" answer.

My son wanted a laptop - but he's also a gamer like me - so after checking out reviews, we got him an Alienware laptop.

Yes, Dell bought them, but the Alienware has been rock solid now for 16 months.

When researching, don't just use one source - look at many.

For cameras, I usually go to dpreview or dcresource. It gives a review of the digital cameras out there.

If you're going for DSLR...just go for basic...Nikon or Cannon (ie. Canon T4i) so you can learn how to shoot and adjust manually. Once you're good at manual then you can upgrade to a higher model. If you are sure you are going to do those fancy shots...you might want to to just go straight to a higher model (ie. 7D). If your goal is to do photography for a living...it'll be costly (ie. 5D or 1D).

Get an external flash. I have the 580EX ($500). It's great to avoid the flash directly at the subject. You can bounce the flash off the ceiling for a better effect.

Then get a better lens (I'm still in need to upgrade my lens from the starter kit). Typically one for portrait and one for zoom. Read up on websites to understand the lingo. The better the lens...the more $$ it gets. Plan on upgrading lens next year to something like an all-in-one type. 18-200mm or something like that.

I still have my Canon Rebel XSi. Takes great pictures so far. I'll upgrade the body once I get better at manual settings. And the only way to get better is to practice (ie. trial and error) or go take some photography lessons.

For cameras, I usually go to dpreview or dcresource. It gives a review of the digital cameras out there.

If you're going for DSLR...just go for basic...Nikon or Cannon (ie. Canon T4i) so you can learn how to shoot and adjust manually. Once you're good at manual then you can upgrade to a higher model. If you are sure you are going to do those fancy shots...you might want to to just go straight to a higher model (ie. 7D). If your goal is to do photography for a living...it'll be costly (ie. 5D or 1D).

Get an external flash. I have the 580EX ($500). It's great to avoid the flash directly at the subject. You can bounce the flash off the ceiling for a better effect.

Then get a better lens (I'm still in need to upgrade my lens from the starter kit). Typically one for portrait and one for zoom. Read up on websites to understand the lingo. The better the lens...the more $$ it gets. Plan on upgrading lens next year to something like an all-in-one type. 18-200mm or something like that.

I still have my Canon Rebel XSi. Takes great pictures so far. I'll upgrade the body once I get better at manual settings. And the only way to get better is to practice (ie. trial and error) or go take some photography lessons.

I choose the specs I need/want and then try to find the best price for that item (or the best compromise between price and performance).

For me:

Laptop: Lenovo u410 (i7 model) - on sale for $700

Phone: BlackBerry Bold 9780 - didn't want touchscreen phone, and I don't like to play music when I'm out. $0 for the phone, but $55 each month (including data)

Camera: Panasonic Lumix (Don't know which model) - Just wanted a point and shoot with a lot of zoom. I've forgotten the price but it was under $200

I choose the specs I need/want and then try to find the best price for that item (or the best compromise between price and performance).

For me:

Laptop: Lenovo u410 (i7 model) - on sale for $700

Phone: BlackBerry Bold 9780 - didn't want touchscreen phone, and I don't like to play music when I'm out. $0 for the phone, but $55 each month (including data)

Camera: Panasonic Lumix (Don't know which model) - Just wanted a point and shoot with a lot of zoom. I've forgotten the price but it was under $200

Get a cheap ass laptop unless you're doing heavy work on the go all the time. If you're a businessman who is always on the move, bringing your work with you then you could invest in a better laptop. Otherwise, there's no real point.

For cameras, there's no debate. Canon on Nikon. End of story.

For phones, everyone and their mother has an opinion, but the main players are:

iPhone 5

Samsung Galaxy S3

Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Google/LG Nexus 4

HTC 1X (Android)

HTC 8X (Windows 8)

Nokia Lumia 920

Look into what each operating system (iOS, Android, Windows 8) offers, and then go to a store and actually physically hold each phone and see how you like it.

Blackberry at the moment is outdated as frack, so you'll have to wait for BB10 to drop and see how those phones are. Anybody suggesting you get a blackberry right now is delusional or just way too attached to their physical keyboard. BB10 will eventually have phones with physical keyboards, but not when it first releases. The first BB10 phone will be a touchscreen.

yeah, the lenses and sensors mean everything in cameras. nikon and cannon having the best components (they are basically on par with eachother, despite what photophiles will argue over until the end of time).

Also, i'd add toshiba to the laptops (espescially their ultrabooks)

Archived