Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Choosing the right laptop, camera and phone

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#31 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,047 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

I choose the specs I need/want and then try to find the best price for that item (or the best compromise between price and performance).

For me:
Laptop: Lenovo u410 (i7 model) - on sale for $700
Phone: BlackBerry Bold 9780 - didn't want touchscreen phone, and I don't like to play music when I'm out. $0 for the phone, but $55 each month (including data)
Camera: Panasonic Lumix (Don't know which model) - Just wanted a point and shoot with a lot of zoom. I've forgotten the price but it was under $200

Edited by GoaltenderInterference, 07 December 2012 - 03:19 PM.

Press the Panic Button! arrow.small.up.gif

Signature-canuckmunkey.jpg
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl, Steve Montador
Sig by .CM.

#32 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,464 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

I choose the specs I need/want and then try to find the best price for that item (or the best compromise between price and performance).

For me:
Laptop: Lenovo u410 (i7 model) - on sale for $700
Phone: BlackBerry Bold 9780 - didn't want touchscreen phone, and I don't like to play music when I'm out. $0 for the phone, but $55 each month (including data)
Camera: Panasonic Lumix (Don't know which model) - Just wanted a point and shoot with a lot of zoom. I've forgotten the price but it was under $200

Why spend that much on a laptop though? You doing Cadd work in your hotel room?

#33 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,047 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

Why spend that much on a laptop though? You doing Cadd work in your hotel room?

Lol, no. I didn't like what the others had to offer for their price.

Press the Panic Button! arrow.small.up.gif

Signature-canuckmunkey.jpg
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl, Steve Montador
Sig by .CM.

#34 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

All you need to do. is walk into Best Buy, and they will help you out.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#35 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

Get a cheap ass laptop unless you're doing heavy work on the go all the time. If you're a businessman who is always on the move, bringing your work with you then you could invest in a better laptop. Otherwise, there's no real point.

For cameras, there's no debate. Canon on Nikon. End of story.

For phones, everyone and their mother has an opinion, but the main players are:

iPhone 5
Samsung Galaxy S3
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Google/LG Nexus 4
HTC 1X (Android)
HTC 8X (Windows 8)
Nokia Lumia 920

Look into what each operating system (iOS, Android, Windows 8) offers, and then go to a store and actually physically hold each phone and see how you like it.

Blackberry at the moment is outdated as frack, so you'll have to wait for BB10 to drop and see how those phones are. Anybody suggesting you get a blackberry right now is delusional or just way too attached to their physical keyboard. BB10 will eventually have phones with physical keyboards, but not when it first releases. The first BB10 phone will be a touchscreen.

Edited by Jai604, 07 December 2012 - 10:54 PM.

RIP LB RR PD

#36 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:10 AM

are you REALLY suggesting a sony camera? Really? espescially when a superior Nikon D5100 could be had for cheaper?

Also, a dell computer? ugh. what's wrong with you.

NEX 5 Sony cameras aren't just any old cameras. They are one of a kind compact cameras that are DSLR quality and have interchangeable lenses. You can use this camera like a P&S since it is convenient yet the picture quality is the same as a DSLR. Who wants to carry a 5 lb Nikon D5100 DSLR camera everywhere with them?

Also Dell laptops are good quality. My Dell desktop computer has been working for 12 years now and no hardware failure has occurred.

All am doing is trying to save the guy 1K without compromise in quality.

Edited by Pouria, 08 December 2012 - 01:37 AM.

Posted Image

#37 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:28 AM

yeah, the lenses and sensors mean everything in cameras. nikon and cannon having the best components (they are basically on par with eachother, despite what photophiles will argue over until the end of time).

Also, i'd add toshiba to the laptops (espescially their ultrabooks)

Thats because you only know of Nikon and Canon. The best lenses that got the highest MTF scores and are probably the best in the world are the Leica lenses. Even Konica scored a higher MTF than Canon. Canon and Nikon (Nikkor) are in the top 10 for best lenses but the top 5 best lenses are Leica M, Konica, Leica R, Contax and Mamiya in that order.

Also Toshiba laptops aren't that great. My dad had it and it was total crap after a couple of years of use.

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.